daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 17th, 2015, 05:21 PM   #2441
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

I noticed that 'Trucker Josh' (A Youtube vlogger) often drives 700 - 800 kilometers empty to get a load back to Canada. That's a waste of money and time and not particularly efficient for the environment.

Especially with American and Canadian wages being similar, I don't see why there has to be such strict cabotage rules between those two countries. In Europe, the wages are too divergent to allow extensive cabotage. A Swedish trucker probably earns 4 or 5 times as much as a Bulgarian or Ukrainian trucker to make a decent standard of living, there is no way he can compete with south/eastern European truckers.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2015, 06:11 PM   #2442
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The last segment of the E6 motorway between Göteborg and Oslo will open to traffic on 6 July. It is a 7 km segment between Pålen and Tanumshede.

http://www.trafikverket.se/Aktuellt/...dsarvet-tanum/

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

devo liked this post
Old June 18th, 2015, 08:01 PM   #2443
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The last segment of the E6 motorway between Göteborg and Oslo will open to traffic on 6 July. It is a 7 km segment between Pålen and Tanumshede.

http://www.trafikverket.se/Aktuellt/...dsarvet-tanum/

Yes this is very important. This means Norway is going to be a part of the Continental motorways

simondanut liked this post
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 08:07 AM   #2444
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post
Yes this is very important. This means Norway is going to be a part of the Continental motorways
Meaning ? How many motorists on the E6 drive continiously on motorways to reach continental europe ? First when the Rödby-Fehmarn link is built, I think we can talk about being a part of the Continental motorways, with very expensive tolls. Still after that a large part of those who drive to the continent will get there by ferry.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 02:55 PM   #2445
devo

Likes (Received): 41

Meaning? What else can it mean? It's a technical definition. You would be able to drive from Klemetsrud to Köln on roads signed as motorways. Suppose motorways were to be built between Europe and Asia. This will connect the two networks, regardless on who would actually use the entire network, and the multitude of better and quicker ways to get around.

So your argument about travel time and tolls is vaild, but E 6 in Norway would still be a part of the European motorway network.

Osamede liked this post
devo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 03:36 PM   #2446
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
So your argument about travel time and tolls is vaild, but E 6 in Norway would still be a part of the European motorway network.
Ferries aren't free either. When there will be a tunnel between Denmark and Germany, I don't see why someone should use a ferry.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 09:20 PM   #2447
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

Is there somewhere on the web to see waiting time for Fehmarn belt. Last time i was going it was stau all the way from Fehmarnbrucke.
Old June 19th, 2015, 11:02 PM   #2448
TrojaA
ß-Retter

Likes (Received): 341

Schedules are available online at http://www.scandlines.com/tickets-un...fahrplane.aspx
You can subscribe to the SMS service, too. You'll receive a SMS if your ferry has a delay (http://www.scandlines.com/kunden-ser...s-service.aspx)

And of course there's an app: http://www.scandlines.com/kunden-ser...phone-app.aspx
TrojaA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 11:15 PM   #2449
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A colleague of mine once took the ferry to Rødbhavn. It took him 4 hours to get from Heiligenhafen to Puttgarden on a Saturday in July.

I believe last year they had one of the ferries breaking down on the busiest day of the year, which resulted in incredible delays.

I don't think the ferry can compete with the Femern Belt Tunnel. It's just too expensive. The economy fare is € 67 which you can only book via internet. If you arrive in the port and want to make a crossing it's going to cost almost € 100 for a single trip. The tunnel will charge a toll around € 50 - 60. Which is expensive, but cheaper than the ferry. It's also much more flexible, you can arrive at any time of the day and proceed immediately, regardless of weather, ferry schedules or traffic demand. Boarding the ferry probably takes as much time as crossing the entire link by tunnel.
Old June 20th, 2015, 03:27 PM   #2450
Osamede

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post
This would not be strictly correct until Norway actually builds proper motorways. One cant even drive Oslo to Trondheim for example on proper motorways end to end.
Osamede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015, 01:49 PM   #2451
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

You can't even get past Oslo on a proper motorway.

devo liked this post
Ingenioren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015, 02:08 PM   #2452
ChrisZwolle
Road user

On the other hand, some motorways in other countries are also substandard. Such as A7 in Lyon, SE-30 in Sevilla, E6 through Göteborg and all motorways in Helsinki if we believe a forum member So I'll forgive the fact that Ring 3 / E6 around Oslo isn't exactly up to standards.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Kanadzie, RV liked this post
Old June 22nd, 2015, 03:32 AM   #2453
Agent 006

Likes (Received): 182

This is WRONG tread, I know, but since it's already beeing discussed;

The missing motorway link, E6 Ulven - Klemetsrud will eventually become a motorway too (H7-standard, which means city motorway-standard). Klemetsrud - Abildsø will be widened to 7 or 8 lanes (including two bus/truck lanes) and shoulders of 3 m, and may start construction in 2019. Abildsø - Ulven will be replaced by new tunnels, which will go directly to E6 Ulven/Alnabru. This means you could pass Oslo at E6 without using Ring 3 somewhere in the future (probably before 2030).

Of course it would have been better having a new Ring 4 Ski - Lilestrøm. But this is better than nothing. Whether the entire new stretch would be signed motorway, I can't guarantee. But it would at least look like a motorway, in contrast with current situation.

Project page (in Norwegian): http://www.vegvesen.no/Europaveg/e6manglerud

Last edited by Agent 006; June 22nd, 2015 at 09:49 AM.
Agent 006 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 01:17 PM   #2454
Mirror's Edge
Free the Nordic people!

Likes (Received): 2638

OK guys take your talk about German tunnels or mountains roads elsewhere please.

devo liked this post
Mirror's Edge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 02:07 PM   #2455
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Meaning? What else can it mean? It's a technical definition. You would be able to drive from Klemetsrud to Köln on roads signed as motorways.
Strictly speaking, you can't. Only to Malmö.

https://www.google.fi/maps/@55.56537...7i13312!8i6656

Interestingly, this isn't the first toll plaza for Norwegians going to Central Europe, but it is the first one that breaks the motorway. For instance the Svinesund toll plaza (even northbound, that one being on Swedish territory) is a part of the motorway.

devo liked this post

Last edited by OulaL; June 22nd, 2015 at 02:14 PM.
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 04:57 PM   #2456
devo

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
Strictly speaking, you can't. Only to Malmö.

https://www.google.fi/maps/@55.56537...7i13312!8i6656

Interestingly, this isn't the first toll plaza for Norwegians going to Central Europe, but it is the first one that breaks the motorway. For instance the Svinesund toll plaza (even northbound, that one being on Swedish territory) is a part of the motorway.
Ah, you got me!

Even more interesting, this toll plaza marks the start of the danish road edge markers, I'm sure someone can explain why this switch happens here, and not at the actual border. Is it because Denmark technically owns/has the responsibility for the whole bridge/infrastructure? Would this also be the case with Fehmarn?
devo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 07:10 PM   #2457
ChrisZwolle
Road user

How driving a Swedish toll road can incur a loss to the Swedish tax payers.

A Dutch driver got a notice by mail to pay a € 0.98 toll from the Göteborg congestion tax. The price to send an international letter from Sweden is 12 SEK (€ 1.30). That would mean billing the foreign driver costs the Swedish taxpayers € 0.32. Plus administrative cost to process the bill.

Kanadzie, Swede liked this post
Old June 25th, 2015, 11:04 AM   #2458
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

It's a result of it being illegal to toll public streets in Sweden (exception for bridges iirc).
So the congestion charge is a type of road tax. Which makes for idiocy like that.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 11:47 AM   #2459
Osamede

Likes (Received): 19

But this is just poor administrative practice - it has nothing to do with tolls specifically.

Most public and private sector organizations in this day and age understand the concept of cost/benefit in transaction administration - and they do not waste their time initiating actions on receivables that are de minimis.
Osamede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 01:53 PM   #2460
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

While true, iirc that kind of tiny bill is due to the perceived demand by locals to make especially drivers from other states/countries pay for driving thru the cities.
IMO they should just keep the bill in the system (no interest) and wait til the car has driven through the zone enough to make the process of sending out the bill would at least break even.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote