daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old June 25th, 2015, 02:23 PM   #2461
Nylund
Motorway fanatic
 
Nylund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 11
Likes (Received): 12

E18 west of Karlstad

A 7 km motorway construction between Bjorkas-Skutberget west of Karlstad on E18 is soon to be started. The main objective is to replace a stretch of E18 which has seen a high number of fatal road accidents (in fact - one of the worst in the country).

However, I have been unable to find any information about the gap between junction Skutbergsmotet and Bergviksmotet (where the motorway currently stops west of Karlstad). It seems there will be a gap left on this approximately 1 km of E18 between the future motorway junctions. Does anyone have more information on this? I hope it is not a case of leaving gaps in a continuous motorway like they have done on E45 between Goteborg and Trollhattan…

Ps 130 km/h on motorways in Sweden, please!
__________________
Erst mit Tempo +200km/h fängt's Autofahren an!
Nylund no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2015, 01:32 AM   #2462
RV
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Porvoo
Posts: 726
Likes (Received): 275

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
On the other hand, some motorways in other countries are also substandard. Such as A7 in Lyon, SE-30 in Sevilla, E6 through Göteborg and all motorways in Helsinki if we believe a forum member So I'll forgive the fact that Ring 3 / E6 around Oslo isn't exactly up to standards.
Well actually Roads 4, 7, 45, 51, roughly 3/5 of Ring I and Ring II (and III plus the soon-to-be-completed Airport expressway) are very good except that they mostly lack capacity (but there are plenty of 3+3 and also 4+4 and collector-lane-sections on these) in Helsinki. SE-30 is also not that bad. Roads 170, the completed section of "Ring 0", Road 170 and Road 1, and SE-30 could be compared to most of the NYC parkway system or many of Göteborg's motorways,
RV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 01:24 PM   #2463
Mirror's Edge
Free the Nordic people!
 
Mirror's Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South Coast Scania
Posts: 565
Likes (Received): 2653

E6 just before the bridge.



The sound barrier is growing a forest

From here
__________________

SRC_100, geometarkv liked this post
Mirror's Edge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2015, 02:54 PM   #2464
OulaL
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Jämsä
Posts: 644
Likes (Received): 121

They send one bill for each month, no matter how many crossings were made during that month (as long as it is more than 0, of course).

If that is 1 crossing, this obviously isn't very practical. For some it is 40 crossings or more.

One way to make it simpler would be EasyGo, using the same on-board equipment (Autopass or Bizz) as on Norwegian and Danish toll roads (I assume quite a share of foreigners are Norwegians and Danes anyway). These drivers would be debited by the toll operator they have made the contract with, with no additional mail to be sent. Equally, this would make it easier for Swedes to drive to Norway and Denmark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
IMO they should just keep the bill in the system (no interest) and wait til the car has driven through the zone enough to make the process of sending out the bill would at least break even.
This may take from several months to forever, and the ownership of the car may also change, as may the owner's address.
__________________
Countries visited, driven in, (not independent), former:
A B CH CZ D DK E EST F FIN GB (+GBZ) GR H I L LT LV MAL MC N NL PL RUS S SGP SK SLO T TR YU
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2015, 03:02 PM   #2465
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,631
Likes (Received): 19426

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
They send one bill for each month, no matter how many crossings were made during that month (as long as it is more than 0, of course).

If that is 1 crossing, this obviously isn't very practical. For some it is 40 crossings or more.
In most cases tourists would just drive through Göteborg once or twice on a trip. One of those crossings may even be on a toll-free moment, so I suspect they will have to send out quite a lot of bills to foreigners for just a single tolled crossing. Not to mention that a certain share of those bills won't get paid anyway, making the effort to get tiny bills paid a waste of time and money.

I passed there last year, the toll was 8 SEK (€ 0.85) but they didn't bill foreigners yet.

E6-230 by European Roads, on Flickr
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2015, 09:04 PM   #2466
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller
 
NordikNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Linköping
Posts: 2,748
Likes (Received): 1408


New Asphalt on the southbound lane of the E4 at Jönköping. Only one lane open for traffic heading south, risk of queues.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 07:49 PM   #2467
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,631
Likes (Received): 19426

E6 Pålen - Tanumshede

They are happy in Norway: http://www.nrk.no/ostfold/siste-e6-t...dag-1.12444173

Nå er det firefeltsvei hele veien til København

Now there are four lanes all the way to Copenhagen.

In fact, there are four lanes all the way to the south of Spain or Italy.

The last segment of E6 motorway opened to traffic today in western Sweden, between Pålen and Tanumshede.
__________________

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

loefet liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 04:43 PM   #2468
Shifty2k5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Uppsala
Posts: 535
Likes (Received): 157

Here's a nice picture from the new E6 - It's good to see that Trafikverket are now building
motorways with proper width 21,5 m again. Rv 40 near Ulricehamn (opens during the fall) will also be 21,5 meters.


Photo from byggnyheter.se

A video from Skanska of the new road:

__________________

riiga, Suburbanist liked this post

Last edited by Shifty2k5; July 13th, 2015 at 04:54 PM.
Shifty2k5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 08:57 PM   #2469
Gsus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 148
Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty2k5 View Post
Here's a nice picture from the new E6 - It's good to see that Trafikverket are now building
motorways with proper width 21,5 m again. Rv 40 near Ulricehamn (opens during the fall) will also be 21,5 meters.


Photo from byggnyheter.se

A video from Skanska of the new road:

According too Trafikverket, this section, as most between Uddevalla and Strømstad is 18,5 meters wide.

http://www.trafikverket.se/Privat/Pr...er-om-etappen/
Gsus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 11:11 PM   #2470
Agent 006
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Oslo/Trondheim
Posts: 155
Likes (Received): 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsus View Post
According too Trafikverket, this section, as most between Uddevalla and Strømstad is 18,5 meters wide.

http://www.trafikverket.se/Privat/Pr...er-om-etappen/
Yes, Rabbalshede - Eigst (Strømstad East) is 18,5 m wide. Svinesund - Eigst and Uddevalla West - Rabbalshede are 21,5 m, except Glæborg - Håby which may have a 26,5 m section (Glæborg - Rabbalshede was first 18,5 m, but later widened to 21,5 m).

It's mostly a Scandinavian phenomenon to sign expressways as motorways. In Norway too, roads as narrow as 19 m could be signed motorways.

Last edited by Agent 006; July 13th, 2015 at 11:31 PM.
Agent 006 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 11:46 PM   #2471
Gsus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 148
Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 006 View Post
Yes, Rabbalshede - Eigst (Strømstad East) is 18,5 m wide. Svinesund - Eigst and Uddevalla West - Rabbalshede are 21,5 m, except Glæborg - Håby which may have a 26,5 m section (Glæborg - Rabbalshede was first 18,5 m, but later widened to 21,5 m).
The difference between the section between Glæborg and Rabbalshede (built late 90`s?), is that it had no shoulders. The newer 18,5 meter roads has just as wide shoulders as a 21,5 meter cross-section, but narrower lanes and median.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 006 View Post
It's mostly a Scandinavian phenomenon to sign expressways as motorways. In Norway too, roads as narrow as 19 m could be signed motorways.
Nothing I`ve driven on in Scandinavia can compare to the crossection of some of the motorways in Italia (mostly outside the Autostrade-network). Really uncomfortable to pass a truck even with a small car.

South of Livorno (untolled motorway):
https://www.google.no/maps/@43.41927...7i13312!8i6656

Narrow motorway on the Autostrade-network between Lucca and Viareggio:
https://www.google.no/maps/@43.85746...7i13312!8i6656

Both are signposted motorway
Gsus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 02:32 AM   #2472
Agent 006
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Oslo/Trondheim
Posts: 155
Likes (Received): 189

Yes, there are many and worse examples in other countries. You also had the bumping "Hitler autobahns" without shoulders.

But Sweden and Norway tend to systematically break norms in the AGR-agreement though, which e.g. recommend motorway shoulders of minimum 3,25 m (I guess this includes both inner and outer shoulders). For instance, new motorways in Ireland and Spain normally have sholders of 2,5 m (outer) and 1 m + (inner) (minimum 10,5 m sections). In Denmark new motorway sections are 12 m wide, with shoulders of 3,0 and 1,5 m.

Last edited by Agent 006; July 14th, 2015 at 06:28 AM.
Agent 006 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 09:41 AM   #2473
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller
 
NordikNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Linköping
Posts: 2,748
Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsus View Post
According too Trafikverket, this section, as most between Uddevalla and Strømstad is 18,5 meters wide.
The wire between the roadways seems very low in my eyes, especially if it is supposed to stop a truck from coming over on the wrong side.




Concrete barrier on the E22 north of Lund. These type of barriers are also to be found on the E4 between Linköping and Norrköping.

Last edited by NordikNerd; July 14th, 2015 at 09:46 AM.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 09:44 AM   #2474
MattiG
Registered User
 
MattiG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Espoo FI
Posts: 1,808
Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 006 View Post
Yes, there are many and worse examples in other countries. You also had the bumping "Hitler autobahns" without shoulders.

But Sweden and Norway tend to systematically break norms in the AGR-agreement though, which e.g. recommend motorway shoulders of minimum 3,25 m (I guess this includes both inner and outer shoulders). For instance, new motorways in Ireland and Spain normally have sholders of 2,5 m (outer) and 1 m + (inner) (minimum 10,5 m sections). In Denmark new motorway sections are 12 m wide, with shoulders of 3,0 and 1,5 m.
It is a recommendation only, written on the era when cars needed a repair every 1500 kilometers and the cost of tarmac was about nothing. It is good the see that the authorities focus on the road length instead of its width. In general, the AGR agreement has turned obsolete, and its value as a norm is zero or negative.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 11:33 AM   #2475
italystf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,460
Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsus View Post
Nothing I`ve driven on in Scandinavia can compare to the crossection of some of the motorways in Italia (mostly outside the Autostrade-network). Really uncomfortable to pass a truck even with a small car.

South of Livorno (untolled motorway):
https://www.google.no/maps/@43.41927...7i13312!8i6656

Narrow motorway on the Autostrade-network between Lucca and Viareggio:
https://www.google.no/maps/@43.85746...7i13312!8i6656

Both are signposted motorway
The first one is signposted as expressway (general speed limit of 110 instead of 130, lower requirements for width, curve radius, gradient,...).
__________________
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 12:31 PM   #2476
Gsus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 148
Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
The first one is signposted as expressway (general speed limit of 110 instead of 130, lower requirements for width, curve radius, gradient,...).
https://www.google.no/maps/@43.37568...7i13312!8i6656

This is the sign at the start of the road some kilometers back at the junction with E80. But a blue "motorway-sign" might be expressway in Italy?
Gsus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 04:54 PM   #2477
Agent 006
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Oslo/Trondheim
Posts: 155
Likes (Received): 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
It is a recommendation only, written on the era when cars needed a repair every 1500 kilometers and the cost of tarmac was about nothing. It is good the see that the authorities focus on the road length instead of its width. In general, the AGR agreement has turned obsolete, and its value as a norm is zero or negative.
Yes, this is only a recommandation. Other parts of the agreement are absolute demands. My point is that it's ok to build 18,5/19 m roads, but these should not be signed motorway. Unfortunatelly this is done systematically in Scandinavia. Most of such roads are expressways elsewhere, especially newer ones. Even if there are even worse examples in other countries, mainly old stretches.

Last edited by Agent 006; July 14th, 2015 at 05:04 PM.
Agent 006 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 05:05 PM   #2478
italystf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,460
Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsus View Post
https://www.google.no/maps/@43.37568...7i13312!8i6656

This is the sign at the start of the road some kilometers back at the junction with E80. But a blue "motorway-sign" might be expressway in Italy?
Yes, in Italy the symbol is the same, but if it's green it means motorway, if it's blue it means expressway.
__________________
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 06:27 PM   #2479
Gsus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 148
Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Yes, in Italy the symbol is the same, but if it's green it means motorway, if it's blue it means expressway.
Then that was my part of learning today

Do you know the typical cross-sections of both of the roads on the pictures? The expressway felt like being about 15 meters wide, but that may have had something to do with the tall crash-barrier in the median.
Gsus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 10:57 PM   #2480
MattiG
Registered User
 
MattiG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Espoo FI
Posts: 1,808
Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 006 View Post
Yes, this is only a recommandation. Other parts of the agreement are absolute demands. My point is that it's ok to build 18,5/19 m roads, but these should not be signed motorway. Unfortunatelly this is done systematically in Scandinavia. Most of such roads are expressways elsewhere, especially newer ones. Even if there are even worse examples in other countries, mainly old stretches.
There is nothing in the AGR agreement forcing the member countries to do anything.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium