daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 5th, 2015, 09:59 AM   #2501
MattiG

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETSman View Post
No one was hurt. The pillar that fell doesn't have any supporting role for the bridge. They are starting an investigation.
Caused by the concrete-eating bacteria reported earlier?
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2015, 10:27 AM   #2502
Shifty2k5

Likes (Received): 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
That was underwater I think. And only on the sheet piling.
Shifty2k5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2015, 10:41 AM   #2503
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty2k5 View Post
That was underwater I think. And only on the sheet piling.
Perhaps the reason is the corrosion caused by bird shit. The planning engineer believed the Swedish seagulls do not shit in public areas.
Old August 5th, 2015, 12:52 PM   #2504
ETSman
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 445

Quote:
No As shifty said, that was for the steel.

FK SARAJEVO
ETSman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2015, 09:02 PM   #2505
MattiG

Accident on E4

I was driving on E4 in Sweden last Sunday. There was a minor accident between Linköping and Norrköping: A driver hit the middle barrier and damaged about 40 cable poles. Because of the heavy traffic bound for Stockholm, the incident caused massive queues. We joined the queue about 1600 meters to the south of the accident location, and it took us half an hour to get through.

The people's behavior was a big surprise to me. Apparently, there is no code in Sweden to cope reasonably with this sort of incidents. Because Swedes have adopted all bad habits from the German motorways, my expectation was that the good ones are imported, too. Wrong. The last one in the queue did not put the warning lights on, and nobody took an action to make room for the rescue vehicles. The rescue vehicles were stuck because people seemed to ignore the mirrors of their cars.

The rescue cars made their approach by the book, i.e. between the lanes. People on the right lane moved back and forth between the lanes and the hard shoulder. When they finally understood to stay on the shoulder, the police made their approach: not between the lanes but on on the shoulder. That caused some extra hassle.

The biggest surprises for me were those two shameless drivers who decided to follow the first ambulance to bypass the queue. I have never seen such an action.

The response time of the authorities, except police, seemed to be outstanding. The fire chief was on the scene within minutes, followed by two rescue vehicles and two ambulances within next 10 minutes.

riiga, Swede liked this post
Old August 5th, 2015, 11:29 PM   #2506
Morsue

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
The last one in the queue did not put the warning lights on
This is illegal in Sweden as warning lights are only allowed to indicate a vehicle standing still or being towed at slow speed. Not even allowed in this situation.
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2015, 11:32 PM   #2507
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1407

Quote:
I was driving on E4 in Sweden last Sunday. There was a minor accident between Linköping and Norrköping: A driver hit the middle barrier and damaged about 40 cable poles. Because of the heavy traffic bound for Stockholm, the incident caused massive queues.
I would say the heavy traffic is mainly local between Linköping and Norrköping (it's called the 4th metropolitan region) traffic is usually decreasing north of Norrköping.

Quote:
The people's behavior was a big surprise to me. Apparently, there is no code in Sweden to cope reasonably with this sort of incidents. Because Swedes have adopted all bad habits from the German motorways, my expectation was that the good ones are imported, too. Wrong.
No, driving on german motorways, means speeding in the left lane and very little understanding of keeping the distance to the traffic ahead. I drove on the german A20 about a month ago and swedish motorway driving is a walk in the park compared to the no speed limit autobahn where you have to change lane quickly to avoid speeders with no patience. Swedish drivers are a lot more patient and respectfull to eachother.

Quote:
The last one in the queue did not put the warning lights on, and nobody took an action to make room for the rescue vehicles. The rescue vehicles were stuck because people seemed to ignore the mirrors of their cars.
Drivers are not used to an accident, they rarely occur and drivers become confused when it happends.

Quote:
The biggest surprises for me were those two shameless drivers who decided to follow the first ambulance to bypass the queue. I have never seen such an action.
That is a very unswedish behaviour

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; August 8th, 2015 at 09:11 PM.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2015, 09:30 PM   #2508
Nylund
Motorway fanatic

Likes (Received): 12

Apparantly someone didn't like that I named the two gentlemen tailgating the ambulance? What's the problem?
Old August 8th, 2015, 10:03 PM   #2509
ETSman
Unregistered User

I guess you are not allowed to publish the names of individuals.

''- Hate speech (including content that incites hatred or promotes violence against individuals or groups based on race or ethnic origin''

FK SARAJEVO
Old August 8th, 2015, 10:36 PM   #2510
Ushtari

Likes (Received): 114

Traffic jams on motorways are quite rare in sweden and therefor swedes dont really know how to behave in such situations. So the reason is rather low experience and not bad manners.
Ushtari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2015, 11:29 PM   #2511
Mirror's Edge
Free the Nordic people!

Likes (Received): 2637

No they are not, I see stop and go traffic jams every week and it's a daily event on many stretches of road, but I have never seen that parting of the sea BS before, emergency vehicles drive down the shoulder in Scania.
Mirror's Edge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2015, 11:55 PM   #2512
Ushtari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror's Edge View Post
No they are not, I see stop and go traffic jams every week and it's a daily event on many stretches of road, but I have never seen that parting of the sea BS before, emergency vehicles drive down the shoulder in Scania.
Well Skåne in particular has very few traffic jams and i dont really count roads in towns. Imagine the strech Malmö - Helsingborg, how many traffic jams have you seen there?

And im not speaking about the video specifically. Im more speaking about things like puting on the emergency lights when a traffic jam occurs etc

I personally didnt know about this habit until i drove on german roads.
Old August 9th, 2015, 12:17 AM   #2513
Mirror's Edge
Free the Nordic people!

Too many to count, Malmö to Landskrona there is always risk for traffic jams on workdays, but it happens on the entire stretch Ängelholm -Trelleborg regularly and in both directions for different reasons.
Here is an article on the issue from late 2014.
http://www.sydsvenskan.se/skane/sa-h...en-okat-pa-e6/
Old August 9th, 2015, 12:25 AM   #2514
Ushtari

Well i personally cant even remember when i got stuck on that stretch. Busy traffic - yes, but traffic jams? Not really.
Old August 9th, 2015, 12:34 AM   #2515
Mirror's Edge
Free the Nordic people!

Where do you live and how often do you travel there?
Old August 9th, 2015, 12:51 AM   #2516
Ushtari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror's Edge View Post
Where do you live and how often do you travel there?
I live in Skåne myself and i drive that stretch about once a week and some parts of it every day.
Old August 9th, 2015, 01:00 AM   #2517
Mirror's Edge
Free the Nordic people!

Well either you are really lucky or you drive off peak traffic hours.
I drive mostly on the ring roads and the Trellborgsmotorväg with less traffic then E6 north but still get stuck mostly by Petersborg and V Klagshamn/Vellinge at least once a week.
Old August 9th, 2015, 04:11 AM   #2518
Nylund
Motorway fanatic

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETSman View Post
I guess you are not allowed to publish the names of individuals.

''- Hate speech (including content that incites hatred or promotes violence against individuals or groups based on race or ethnic origin''
The information about the registered owners on those two cars seen in the video is publicly available and free for anyone to look up at the Sweidsh Transportation Authority: Transportstyrelsen.

Besides I had made the names anonymous for a search by using * for letters.

In no way did I promote hate against any individuals or groups. I simply presented fact when someone suggested another user was incorrect assuming the drivers were not Swedish. Which indeed they were not...

Mirror's Edge, riiga, Swede, Venividi liked this post
Nylund no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2015, 11:52 AM   #2519
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushtari View Post
Well Skåne in particular has very few traffic jams and i dont really count roads in towns. Imagine the strech Malmö - Helsingborg, how many traffic jams have you seen there?
Motorway traffic congestions are rare outside the Stockholm and Göteborg metropolitan areas.

If there is a congestion outside those cities the reason is usually an accident or roadwork.

The Jönköping area is also sensitive to queues because the E4 motorway runs through the central part of that city, also you have to slow down due to the E4 motorway being disrupted by the junction where the E4 meets the road 40.

Maybe it's time to build a new outer stretch of the E4 at Jönköping ?

Queues at the E4 north of Jönköping.

The traffic on the E4 has stopped due to roadwork queues.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2015, 02:01 PM   #2520
ETSman
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nylund View Post
The information about the registered owners on those two cars seen in the video is publicly available and free for anyone to look up at the Sweidsh Transportation Authority: Transportstyrelsen.

Besides I had made the names anonymous for a search by using * for letters.

In no way did I promote hate against any individuals or groups. I simply presented fact when someone suggested another user was incorrect assuming the drivers were not Swedish. Which indeed they were not...
My bad then.

R40 highway

FK SARAJEVO

ChrisZwolle, riiga, Shifty2k5, DJaCoNdA liked this post