daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 1st, 2015, 02:48 PM   #2641
Nylund
Motorway fanatic

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
I'm guessing they think it'd be to expensive/disruptive to re-dig those tunnels. PLus they might somehow think Förbifarten will result in fewer cars there (even though that's not what happens when you build more motorways in a city).
Yes, probably the cost of re-building those two tunnels is the reason. Even with the E4 Förbifart Stockholm completed, Trafikverket calculates with more traffic on the "old E4" through Hagastaden than today so I guess the ques will remain. On the other hand, picking up the old idea of straightening E4 by building two new tunnels under Norra Begravningsparken and Karolinska (thus accessing Essingeleden directly) could solve the problem. However, that will never happen...

Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2015, 03:07 PM   #2642
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nylund View Post
Yes, probably the cost of re-building those two tunnels is the reason.

Quote:
Even with the E4 Förbifart Stockholm completed, Trafikverket calculates with more traffic on the "old E4" through Hagastaden than today so I guess the ques will remain.
Not "even with", rather "in part because". Induced demand effects mean that after a handful of years the queues on Essingeleden will be at least as bad and possibly worse than it would have been without Förbifarten. That's what the science of traffic planning tells us.

Quote:
On the other hand, picking up the old idea of straightening E4 by building two new tunnels under Norra Begravningsparken and Karolinska (thus accessing Essingeleden directly) could solve the problem. However, that will never happen...
IMO doing this would have more interesting effects than Förbifarten. Even better would be the Ulvsundadiagonalen option for Förbifarten. It was rejected due to too much tunneling. Then they but the other option fully under ground meaning it is now *more* tunneling than Ulvsundadiagoneln would have had. In other aspects the UD would have been better. The current plan is iditotic.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2015, 01:35 AM   #2643
gincan
Gincan

Likes (Received): 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
The current plan is iditotic.
They will get the world record for longest rural motorway tunnel though

One can only hope that a cataclysmic property bubble recession hit Sweden 2016-2020 and the stupid road will be killed with the mandatory buget cuts that follow.

Then hopefully a better solution will be choosen.
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2015, 03:58 AM   #2644
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2205

The Forbifarten is a great idea. A few years late, but great.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2015, 07:37 PM   #2645
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

A truck was blown over today on E6 north of Göteborg. There is a strong windstorm affecting northern Denmark and western Sweden.

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 10:34 AM   #2646
ETSman
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 445

I've heard they considering renaming the R40 to E40 in the future and replace E20. Anyone who knows more about this?

FK SARAJEVO
ETSman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 11:41 AM   #2647
sotonsi

They can't name it E40 (or, rather, the UNECE will throw a hissy fit about that number). They could name it E261 or something, or reroute E20 and give another number (probably have to be 3-digit) to the current E20 route.

There's E47 and E55 that could be extended from Helsingborg. Or (while north of E22) make the E24 Birmingham-Cambridge-Ipswich...Goteburg-Jonkoping: no one will care about the lack of link to England, as no one cares about the route in England.

Penn's Woods liked this post
sotonsi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 11:53 AM   #2648
ETSman
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 445

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
They can't name it E40 (or, rather, the UNECE will throw a hissy fit about that number). They could name it E261 or something, or reroute E20 and give another number (probably have to be 3-digit) to the current E20 route.

There's E47 and E55 that could be extended from Helsingborg. Or (while north of E22) make the E24 Birmingham-Cambridge-Ipswich...Goteburg-Jonkoping: no one will care about the lack of link to England, as no one cares about the route in England.
Yeah, maybe they will reroute E20...Honestly, i've only heard this from untrusted sources but I dont know :p

FK SARAJEVO
ETSman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 03:15 PM   #2649
Mirror's Edge
Free the Nordic people!

Likes (Received): 2641

E-nrs are useless in Sweden anyway, all roads should be Rv instead.
Bring back the old nrs ASAP.

devo, RV, Nylund liked this post
Mirror's Edge está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 04:01 PM   #2650
devo

Likes (Received): 41

That sign is a proper route confirmation. Not even the UK has crowns on their (uncommon) route confirmation signs.
devo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2015, 04:02 PM   #2651
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror's Edge View Post
E-nrs are useless in Sweden anyway, all roads should be Rv instead.
Bring back the old nrs ASAP.

Agree. I have always wondered why Sweden has outsourced its key road network numbering decisions to the United Nations.

Perhaps the past scheme of 13 main routes is somewhat obsolete, and therefore subject to rethinking.

My proposal:

dj4life, Nylund liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2015, 04:25 PM   #2652
Mirror's Edge
Free the Nordic people!

I don't think we "outsourced numbering decisions" as towns asked to change R45 to E45.
Sweden also totally ignore the changes of routes over and over and ignored the rules of E6 to E06 and so on.

However, E6 should be R2 again, and E45 back to R45 like it always was, E22 should be R4 as well.
No need to change these basic routes from before, most of them still are locally known as "gamla 2:an" so it makes sense.

Restore and preserve.

Nylund liked this post

Last edited by Mirror's Edge; December 6th, 2015 at 04:43 PM.
Old December 6th, 2015, 05:23 PM   #2653
sotonsi

Quote:
Sweden also totally ignore the changes of routes over and over and ignored the rules of E6 to E06 and so on.
That was one time, albeit persistently for about a decade (and with Norway's help on E06).

old number -> new system -> OK, you guys are holding out, we'll let you get away with it.
E4 -> E55 -> E04
E6 -> E47* -> E06

*This was silly numbering, and ought to have been E45 north of Goteburg
Old December 6th, 2015, 06:44 PM   #2654
Mirror's Edge
Free the Nordic people!

Ok guys, change nrs...How about no.
Ok guys, ad a zero at least....How about no.
Old December 6th, 2015, 10:09 PM   #2655
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
I don't think we "outsourced numbering decisions" as towns asked to change R45 to E45.
Still the final decision was made by UNECE, not by Sweden. Most other countries make the decisions of the national road numbering by themselves.

Nylund liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2015, 11:00 PM   #2656
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Most other countries make the decisions of the national road numbering by themselves.
Most other countries make the decisions of the International E Road Network numbering by themselves. Some of them notify the UNECE somewhat post-hoc (or ignore the rejection), but some don't even bother with that.
Old December 20th, 2015, 11:43 PM   #2657

Likes (Received): 1439

Quote:
Yes, probably the cost of re-building those two tunnels is the reason. Even with the E4 Förbifart Stockholm completed, Trafikverket calculates with more traffic on the "old E4" through Hagastaden than today so I guess the ques will remain. On the other hand, picking up the old idea of straightening E4 by building two new tunnels under Norra Begravningsparken and Karolinska (thus accessing Essingeleden directly) could solve the problem. However, that will never happen...
Never heard about this plan. Does it have any name?
1772 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2015, 11:45 PM   #2658

Likes (Received): 1439

In other news: Vägverket has done ground works to se if a Österleden is possible and they have reached the conclusion that it is indeed possible.

http://mitti.se/beskedet-det-gar-bygga-motorvagstunnel/

The plan is to completet the ring around Stockholm from Frihamnen to Södra Länken.
1772 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2015, 04:25 AM   #2659
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:

However, E6 should be R2 again, and E45 back to R45 like it always was, E22 should be R4 as well.
No need to change these basic routes from before, most of them still are locally known as "gamla 2:an" so it makes sense.

Restore and preserve.

E6 could be R2 again. And E4 from Helsingborg to Stockholm can be R1 again. But what about E4 from Stockholm to Haparanda. Do you want it to be R13 again? Or do you want it to be R1?
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2015, 05:12 AM   #2660
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

I'm not particularly sure what the big deal is with using E-roads in Sweden?

My reading of the E-road network is that it's basically Europe's equivalent of our Interstates and U.S. Highways. In some U.S. states you only have one mainline Interstate (like Maine or North Dakota). Does that mean we shouldn't designate e.g. ME I-95 as such? That it should become ME Hwy 1? No. Actually, for interstate traffic, that would make things way more confusing. The main highway from Maine to Florida could become ME-1, NH-3, MA-5, RI-1, CT-1, NY-90, NJ-1, PA-72, DE-1, MD-3, VA-6, NC-34 ... etc. You get the point. Very confusing, very fast. Abstentions from the system makes the system break down.
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote