daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 6th, 2016, 03:45 PM   #2801
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

E45 Lilla Edet - Trollhättan

Some photos of the last leg from Göteborg to Trollhättan.

1. There is a 4 kilometer break in the motorway south of Lilla Edet.

E45-46 by European Roads, on Flickr

E45-50 by European Roads, on Flickr

E45-52 by European Roads, on Flickr

4. Rollercoaster road.

E45-53 by European Roads, on Flickr

E45-54 by European Roads, on Flickr

6. There is a 0.6 km break in the motorway near Sjuntorp. They did not build a motorway bridge across a small river.

E45-55 by European Roads, on Flickr

E45-56 by European Roads, on Flickr

8. Sjuntorp.

E45-59 by European Roads, on Flickr

9. The motorway ends at the south side of Trollhättan. E45 through Trollhättan is a dual carriageway with roundabouts and traffic lights.

E45-61 by European Roads, on Flickr

E45-62 by European Roads, on Flickr

E45-63 by European Roads, on Flickr

12. The SAAB museum.

E45-64 by European Roads, on Flickr

13. All those Dutch people everywhere...

E45-66 by European Roads, on Flickr

14. Traffic has to turn off (TOTSO) on E45 3 times on the north side of Trollhättan.

E45-68 by European Roads, on Flickr
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2016, 11:34 AM   #2802
Nikolaj

Likes (Received): 77

Are there any plans to fill the gaps around Lilla Edet and Sjuntorp or upgrade/reclassify the section nearest Göteborg to motorway standard?
Nikolaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2016, 10:57 AM   #2803
Nylund
Motorway fanatic

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post
Are there any plans to fill the gaps around Lilla Edet and Sjuntorp or upgrade/reclassify the section nearest Göteborg to motorway standard?
Unfortunately, there are no current plans to close the gaps at Göta (Lilla Edet) and Torpabron (Sjuntorp) on the E45. Those two segments were originally planned to be part of a continues motorway but were later taken out in order to get the project (BanaVäg i Väst) on budget. In 2012 the dual rail and motorway project between Gothenburg and Trollhättan was completed under budget. One would have preferred if the saved money had been spent on the two remaining segments but the money went elsewhere (back into state budget).

I have been in contact with Trafikverket regarding the 100km/h speed limit on this motorway. They claim 110km/h or 120km/h cannot be allowed due to one or two too short on/off-ramps. However, the real reason is CO2 emissions. Raising this circa 75km section of E45 from 90km/h to 110 or 120km/h would have forced them to lower speed limits somewhere else (which is an utterly stupid idea).

The segment closest to Gothenburg will be upgraded to motorway standard when the projects Falutorget (close to Gothenburg Central Rail Station) and Marieholmstunneln (tunnel under the Göta Älv river) are completed. Regarding the remaining part (Marieholmsleden) I can only presume this will be upgraded as soon as the intersections are rebuilt sometime in the future. There is still one remaining traffic light and a non-grade-separated rail crossing. Trafikverket has recently reconstructed the intersections to two continues lanes for E45. This stretch of road was originally not built to carry the E45 traffic. Instead it was intended for traffic to/from Angered. The intention was a motorway for E45 somewhere further east.

EasySeven, Nikolaj liked this post
Nylund no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2016, 03:59 PM   #2804
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E4 Södertälje

The Södertälje Bridge of E4 just south of Stockholm will reopen next Monday at 5 a.m. The bridge has been closed for almost 2 months after a truck crash.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL liked this post
Old August 19th, 2016, 04:47 PM   #2805
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E18 Segmon - Töcksfors

Some photos of E18 in Western Sweden, from Segmon (E45) to the Norwegian border near Töcksfors.

There was much less traffic than I expected. I doubt if a motorway will ever be constructed here, the traffic volumes just aren't there. Most of the route carries only 3,000 vehicles per day.

E18-1 by European Roads, on Flickr

E18-2 by European Roads, on Flickr

E18-3 by European Roads, on Flickr

E18-4 by European Roads, on Flickr

E18-5 by European Roads, on Flickr

E18-6 by European Roads, on Flickr

E18-7 by European Roads, on Flickr

E18-8 by European Roads, on Flickr

E18-9 by European Roads, on Flickr

E18-10 by European Roads, on Flickr

E18-11 by European Roads, on Flickr

E18-12 by European Roads, on Flickr

E18-13 by European Roads, on Flickr
Old August 22nd, 2016, 10:11 AM   #2806
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
There was much less traffic than I expected. I doubt if a motorway will ever be constructed here, the traffic volumes just aren't there. Most of the route carries only 3,000 vehicles per day.
This made me wonder:
Is there a map of Sweden showing the main roads in traffic volume? (maybe only intercity roads)
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2016, 11:28 AM   #2807
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
This made me wonder:
Is there a map of Sweden showing the main roads in traffic volume? (maybe only intercity roads)
http://vtf.trafikverket.se/SeTrafikfloden

Swede liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2016, 12:41 AM   #2808
LegendMeadow

Likes (Received): 2

Haha, funny how on that map they put Bærum in massive letters. Like it's a major city.
LegendMeadow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2016, 10:14 AM   #2809
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Bærum is the 5th largest city in Norway, with a population of 122,000.
Old August 24th, 2016, 04:25 PM   #2810
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E22 Skåne

The plans for a 15 kilometer segment of E22 has been approved and the documents are open to appeals until 21 September. It will be a four-lane motorway from Sätaröd to Vä.

They plan to begin construction in late 2017 or early 2018 and open the motorway by 2020.

http://www.trafikverket.se/nara-dig/...erdelprojekt5/

Old September 18th, 2016, 09:31 PM   #2811
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E14

I took some photos of E14 in Jämtland. These were taken between the Norwegian border and Åre.

Although there are many roads that are more remote, this is also quite wilderness driving (especially for a Dutch driver!) There isn't much on the first 50 km to Åre. There are only a few summer houses and a supermarket near Storlien to cater to Norwegian shoppers. But Storlien doesn't have many services compared to Töckfors or Nordby. It's too far out from larger population centers in Norway. Stjørdal - Storlien is quite a long drive just for shopping.

E14 Jämtland-1 by European Roads, on Flickr

2. Wilderness

E14 Jämtland-2 by European Roads, on Flickr

E14 Jämtland-3 by European Roads, on Flickr

4. Snowmobile warning sign.

E14 Jämtland-4 by European Roads, on Flickr

E14 Jämtland-5 by European Roads, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

metasmurf, Highway89, Swede liked this post
Old September 18th, 2016, 10:41 PM   #2812
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

If you want real wilderness, I recommend Sagavägen between Dikanäs and Skalmodal/Norwegian border. A true gem.

Mirror's Edge liked this post
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2016, 09:20 PM   #2813
Shifty2k5

Likes (Received): 157

So WSP has started the process of writing the tender request documentation for the infamous 32 km stretch of E4 2+1 road outside Ljungby. According to this article the documentation will be ready in february 2017 and the tender procurement should be finished by autumn 2017.

Yey!

http://www.infrastrukturnyheter.se/2...bygger-ut-e4an
Shifty2k5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2016, 10:09 PM   #2814
Shifty2k5

Likes (Received): 157

Trafikplats rebbelberga on the e6 at Ängelholm is closed the entire weekend. This is so the old bridge can be demolished.

http://www.hd.se/2016-09-22/risk-for...amla-bron-rivs
Old October 20th, 2016, 09:33 PM   #2815
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

The Backa exception

Yesterday the Swedish parliament decided to approve of the Backa exception, allowing all vehicles travelling within the Backa neighbourhood in Gothenburg to be exempt from the congestion charge.

The toll gates at Södra Tagenevägen, Skälltorpsvägen, Backadalen, Tingstadsmotet exit E6 and Tingsdagsvägen (Gates 17-21) will only charge vehicles that also pass a checkpoint within 30 minutes. This way only through-traffic will be charged. These checkpoints will be put up soon at the locations shown on the map below (highest resolution I could find).

A start date for the exception has not been set yet, and is up to the government to decide.

Source [Swedish]
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 10:59 PM   #2816
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by riiga View Post
Yesterday the Swedish parliament decided to approve of the Backa exception, allowing all vehicles travelling within the Backa neighbourhood in Gothenburg to be exempt from the congestion charge.

The toll gates at Södra Tagenevägen, Skälltorpsvägen, Backadalen, Tingstadsmotet exit E6 and Tingsdagsvägen (Gates 17-21) will only charge vehicles that also pass a checkpoint within 30 minutes. This way only through-traffic will be charged. These checkpoints will be put up soon at the locations shown on the map below (highest resolution I could find).
Sigh.

Swedes shoot themselves in the foot with their congestion tax system. After they moved from a congestion charge to a congestion tax, the parliament has to decide upon this sort of negligible acts of fine-tuning. This is Pandora's Box: I expect some dozens NIMBY clubs seeking for similar exceptions during the next few years.

Their Principle of Égalité makes it necessary to collect taxes also in the cases where everyone knows the net income is negative due to high cost to collect. Earlier, the foreign vehicles were exempt of the charge. The ferry harbors for the traffic to Finland are located inside the tax ring in Stockholm. Every day some hundreds of vehicles pass the gates, and perhaps return some other day, and make next visit to Sweden perhaps after five years. For each of those, photos are sent to London to be recognized, the owner is identified, and an invoice is sent over the snail mail.

I made a visit to Stockholm a few weeks ago. Since that, I owe the state of Sweden about five euros for passing the gates. I am eager to receive my invoice tax slip. I am planning to pay 1 cent extra in order to see what happens.
Old October 21st, 2016, 10:05 PM   #2817
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

Dashcams officially ruled legal in Swedish (no permits required)

The Supreme Administrative Court of Sweden ruled today that dashcams or cameras mounted on the dashboard or windscreen of a vehicle, or in the case of a bike, the handlebar, are not surveillance cameras and therefore do not need any permit to mount or use, as long as it is within reach of the driver and not remotely controlled (like a surveillance camera would be).

Previously this has been a topic of controversy, with the Data Protection Authority saying such cameras are surveillance cameras and thus in need of a permit (which they would not grant due to your need weighing less than the privacy rights of the public).

Full ruling here [PDF] (in Swedish)

ChrisZwolle, Luki_SL liked this post
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 11:10 PM   #2818
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by riiga View Post
The Supreme Administrative Court of Sweden ruled today that dashcams or cameras mounted on the dashboard or windscreen of a vehicle, or in the case of a bike, the handlebar, are not surveillance cameras and therefore do not need any permit to mount or use, as long as it is within reach of the driver and not remotely controlled (like a surveillance camera would be).

Previously this has been a topic of controversy, with the Data Protection Authority saying such cameras are surveillance cameras and thus in need of a permit (which they would not grant due to your need weighing less than the privacy rights of the public).

Full ruling here [PDF] (in Swedish)
What a relief! I am not a criminal even if I have had my dashcam on during my trips in Sweden.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 06:43 PM   #2819
devo

Likes (Received): 41

And, a camera mounted on a bicycle helmet is illegal? (since it is "remote controlled" by your head's movement?)
devo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2016, 06:20 PM   #2820
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
I made a visit to Stockholm a few weeks ago. Since that, I owe the state of Sweden about five euros for passing the gates. I am eager to receive my invoice tax slip. I am planning to pay 1 cent extra in order to see what happens.
Hardly anything except a lost 1 cent. You don't even pay to the state but a private company, that they use to collect taxes from Finnish-registered customers. The company even has a Finnish bank account. (As you probably know, but other users of the forum probably don't know. I can only assume it is a similar system for other non-Swedish customers as well.)