daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 10th, 2017, 02:09 AM   #2881
Grotlaufen

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adde View Post
Probably, but that would be very difficult to substantiate using archaeology. There are medieval written sources talking about important waterways using lakes and rivers, especially in the Lake Mälaren region. But I don't know if they make a distinction between summer and winter travel.

Heavy goods were mostly transported by boat though, except perhaps in the most land locked agricultural areas. The number of prehistoric boats that have been discovered outnumber wagons many times. Wagons are actually a very rare archaeological find.

Well, the thing about the article I referred to was that the road was constructed around BC 1000.
For what purpose? Whe don't know. Ceremonial/trade etc. could all be plausible reasons.
But there was a road there before there was something akin to Stockholm.
Grotlaufen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2017, 10:10 AM   #2882
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
There's an 11km stretch just south of Rome city centre called 'Via Appia Antica' that can still be used, although now it's closed to motor vehicle between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m., except for city buses and those who need it to access properties along the way.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7950...7i13312!8i6656

The road is very straight but, it seems to be too narrow to hold city buses.
Is that the original stone formation ?

Anyhow, our roads in Scandinavia in the years before Christ were not even close to the standard of the roman roads considering wideness, straightness and pavement.

The swedish roads back then were no more than 1m wide
and the road network changed depending on the season. During the fall and spring, the roads took a detour to evade the wet areas and in the summer, when the ground was drier the roads became straighter.

Road 1064- the oldest road between Norrköping-Linköping. "Via Ostrogothia"
A traditional route used for journeys by the newly elected medieval Swedish kings (Eriksgata) , but also for travels of pilgrims, courtmen and merchants.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2017, 11:04 PM   #2883
Adde

Likes (Received): 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotlaufen View Post
Well, the thing about the article I referred to was that the road was constructed around BC 1000.
For what purpose? Whe don't know. Ceremonial/trade etc. could all be plausible reasons.
But there was a road there before there was something akin to Stockholm.
That particular post wasn't in respons to you, so I guess you're actually referring to a different post of mine?

I don't quite know what you're getting at. Yes, there has been roads far longer than towns in Sweden. Urbanization didn't get going until the late Iron Age. Roads of different kinds had existed for a few millennia by then. But the archaeological examples of constructed roads that we have from the bronze age are few and short. It is unlikely they were strictly built for trade purposes, they are too uncommon and wagons requiring paved roads seems to have been quite rare.
Adde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2017, 02:07 PM   #2884
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

The first tunnel element of the Marieholm Connection in Göteborg will be floated out next week. It was built in a dry-dock. The dry-dock will be the future tunnel ramp. Three elements will be constructed in total.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

loefet, Mirror's Edge liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 03:34 AM   #2885
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

This in an old SOX-light from the old motorways in Sweden. They are from 1960s. All of them gone now. Not anyone still exist now at the motorways in Sweden.

This one is from Uppsala. And I keep it very well, because it is a part of Swedish Motorway history

Swede, devo liked this post
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2017, 04:26 PM   #2886
Grotlaufen

The new 4 km of expressway E6.02 Flädie - Lund is on its way to completion next Summer 2018:

http://www.trafikverket.se/nara-dig/...plats-fladie2/

The construction started last year but it has now progressed to more 'serious' stage with construction of bridges and so on.

It'll be 100 km/h, 2+2 lanes w/o hard shoulders (total width 16.5 m), two grade separated interchanges and no pedestrians/cyclists/tractors allowed. However the new road will most likely not be signed as a motorway/expressway due to its lack of hard shoulders and small width. I believe the most narrow motorway in Sweden is at least 18.5 m in width. This being fertile agricultural land (Scania) all proposals to move the road somewhere else or increase the width got shelved at the planning stage, thus it was chosed to widen the current route instead.

This is the main road to the university/administrative town Lund if coming from the west (commuter traffic from the seaside along Oresund) and the up north (Gothenburg/Stockholm) and has a AADT of ~15000. Until a few years ago this road was signed as "Riksväg 16" but lost this status when E16 got signed to avoid confusion. It is one of the most trafficed non-signed roads in the country.
Old August 1st, 2017, 08:09 PM   #2887
MattiG

Likes (Received): 614

Contributing to the National Economy of Sweden

Today, I received two letters from the Swedish Transport Agengy. Both were invoices of road tolls. I had passed two toll booths in Stockholm and crossed once the Motala bridge in June.

The sums to pay are 0.52 euros and 4.19 euros.

There are two separate invoices, because the toll in Stockholm is "a congestion tax", while the toll in Motala is "an infrastructure charge".

I would be very surprised if the handling cost of each invoice were less than 10 euros. It is hard to invent anything more ridiculous than collecting a tax, which everyone can see to create a negative profit.

BTW, last year I paid 0.10 euro extra for a similar invoice to see what happens. Nothing happened. Perhaps I should sue the State of Sweden for not reimbursing that extra payment in the today's invoice.

Kanadzie, Swede liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2017, 08:30 PM   #2888
Grotlaufen

You can read the proposition of the law and the reasoning for why foreign cars were to be included from 1 Jan 2015. Interesting read as only ten years prior the Govt. had considered it to be too bothersome to include foreign vehicles (pages 13-16). But reasoning on equity grounds it was deemed neccessary to include everyone later:

http://www.regeringen.se/49bb31/cont...elskattefragor
Old August 1st, 2017, 08:51 PM   #2889
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Principles cost money
Old August 1st, 2017, 09:07 PM   #2890
MattiG

Likes (Received): 614

Quote:
. But reasoning on equity grounds it was deemed neccessary to include everyone later:
I know. When the Swedish illusion of equity and the common sense are in conflict, the common sense always is the one to loose.

Anyway, I again got a good laugh. I can hear my wife still laughing.

Kanadzie liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2017, 01:50 AM   #2891
Grotlaufen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Principles cost money
Yup, and creates jobs in the Swedish paper (and corresponding envelope) industries too
Old August 16th, 2017, 02:21 PM   #2892
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E45

Some photos of E45 between Lilla Edet and Älvängen, north of Göteborg.

E45-16 by European Roads, on Flickr

E45-17 by European Roads, on Flickr

E45-18 by European Roads, on Flickr

E45-21 by European Roads, on Flickr

E45-25 by European Roads, on Flickr

E45-27 by European Roads, on Flickr

E45-29 by European Roads, on Flickr

E45-32 by European Roads, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Mirror's Edge, DJaCoNdA, Luki_SL liked this post
Old August 24th, 2017, 02:25 PM   #2893
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Marieholm Connection, Göteborg

A timelapse video of the Marieholm Connection in Göteborg. The new motorway tunnel will relieve the existing Tingstad Tunnel of E6. The tunnel is an immersed tube, with the tunnel ramp doubling as a drydock to construct the tunnel segments.

Old August 31st, 2017, 11:00 PM   #2894
Grotlaufen

Today Trafikverket released its proposal for a national road- and railway plan for 2018-2029. It will probably be adopted by the government w/o many changes at the beginning of the next year:

http://www.trafikverket.se/for-dig-i...lan-2018-2029/

Not many new roads are in these plans, most of the proposals ("Underlagsrapport - Namngivna investeringar") are labeled 'in progress'. Still one can note that E22 will be a grade-separated way from Trelleborg to east of Karlskrona if all of this goes through and that Hjulstabron on riksväg 55 (a 1950's bridge that supports much bypass traffic west of Stockholm) are due for a replacement with a 2+2 bridge.

Note that this programme concerns with 'stamvägar', the main highway network, and do not deal with the regional network that is mainly the concern of counties.
Old August 31st, 2017, 11:34 PM   #2895
The Polman

Likes (Received): 778

not many of them are needed either (because of demand), at least, it is better to improve existing routes in certain ways. Also, the Swedish government should look at the derelict state of its railways.

Prohibit the construction of new single-family dwellings without stacking apartments in Amsterdam (A10), Rotterdam (motorway ring), The Hague, Utrecht (outer ring), Eindhoven (ring), Tilburg (ringbanen) and Groningen (provincial ring)!

And prohibit the use of agricultural land for new dwellings!

Swede, riiga liked this post
The Polman está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2017, 04:53 PM   #2896
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Tvärförbindelse Södertörn

The definitive Södertörn Link alignment south of Stockholm has been selected. It is a 20 kilometer express road, of which 6 km will be tunneled.

http://www.trafikverket.se/nara-dig/...lse-sodertorn/
Old September 8th, 2017, 10:48 PM   #2897
Mirror's Edge
Free the Nordic people!

Likes (Received): 2638

Enough tunnels already, Stockholm is wasting money on an epic scale, that would be fine if we had local infra budgets, but no, thier waste is my waste.
In Skåne we get the least money just cause it's easy to build on flat land, we would gain most from regional budgets, ironic as our roads also carry thier export/import.

So anyway great, more useless expensive to build and maintain tunnels, where a surface parkway would be awsome.
Mirror's Edge está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2017, 10:51 PM   #2898
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Yup, and creates jobs in the Swedish paper (and corresponding envelope) industries too
Also for translators, at least Swedish-to-Finnish....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2017, 01:06 PM   #2899
slaz

Likes (Received): 12

The Linderöd bypass on E22 will open six months ahead of schedule in December 2017. The road is currently being paved.

Old October 9th, 2017, 03:29 PM   #2900
Grotlaufen

More great news: E22 southwest of Kalmar will be opened on 12th of December this year instead of Summer 2018:
https://www.trafikverket.se/nara-dig...i-Rinkabyholm/

Though it's just 1.5 kms of new motorway and a few more kms of grade-separated 2+1road, the new road will remove a great bottleneck (until now all traffic coming from the south and west to Kalmar incl. local roads met at the same roundabout, a roundabout which also happens to be located next to a racetrack course. Sufficient to say there are many times over a year with congestions here, as Kalmar is also the gateway to Öland which is one of the largest summer destinations in Sweden ).

Another obstacle that'll be a thing of the past with this new road: For E22 it'll be a bypass to the west of Rinkabyholm, where there today are several speed cameras and 50 km/h for ~4 kms.

Mirror's Edge liked this post