daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 18th, 2009, 12:48 AM   #381
kanterberg

Likes (Received): 4

[QUOTE=ChrisZwolle;40343062]Worth mentioning is the "Slussen", an cloverleaf in the center of Stockholm build in 1935. It is considered the first (and probably still the only) inner-city cloverleaf in the world.

...but not for much longer, 70 years after inauguration the construction has deteriorated to such an extent that renovating it is no longer an option. The red area is in such bad condition that it will sart fall apart within years unless completely rebuilt.

[IMG]http://i31.************/2s1vw4h.jpg[/IMG]

There's been much discussion if the "new Slussen" should be rebuilt in the same design or completely changed, but everyone seems to agree that an inner-city cloverleaf is not such a great idea. In ten years or so, Slussen might look something like this:

[IMG]http://i31.************/oi7t5y.jpg[/IMG]
kanterberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2009, 11:22 PM   #382
Morsue

Likes (Received): 46

Looks like Förbifart Stockholm (Stockholm Bypass) will be given the go ahead tomorrow.
Quote:
Tomorrow, the government will take the decision to give the all clear for the Stockholm Bypass. This means that the connection will begin construction in 2012.
The project will take eight years to complete.
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:40 PM   #383
kanterberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsue View Post
Looks like Förbifart Stockholm (Stockholm Bypass) will be given the go ahead tomorrow.

The project will take eight years to complete.
Finally! All in all 21 kilometers of 2X3 motorway and most of it in a 17 km tunnel. I suppose that will make it one of the longest motorway tunnels in Europe?

[IMG]http://i26.************/294q4js.jpg[/IMG]

From thelocal.se:

Stockholm traffic bypass gets green light

Published: 3 Sep 09 14:07 CET
Online: http://www.thelocal.se/21862/20090903/

The government has approved the controversial Bypass Stockholm (Förbifart Stockholm) traffic link that will cost the state around 27 billion kronor ($3.75 billion). The project has been strongly criticised on environmental grounds.

The decision has been criticised by the Green Party (Miljöpartiet), the Left Party (Vänsterpartiet) and the environmental movement, which say that the plan will cause a large increase in carbon dioxide emissions.

The construction project is planned to commence in 2010, and is expected to take approximately eight years to complete. The traffic link will span 20 kilometres of roadway, 17 kilometres of which will be by tunnel. The motorway will connect the Stockholm region’s southern and northern areas – from Skärholmen, south of Stockholm, to Häggvik in the north – and will pass to the west of the city, relieving the heavy traffic around Essingeleden.

Environment Minister Andreas Carlgren describes Bypass Stockholm as an environmentally friendly motorway, which is needed to solve Stockholm’s traffic problem, including along the E4 motorway heading out of the city.

“This is the climate and environment alternative for Stockholm, and it is linked to our strong commitment to trams and buses,” Carlgren said.

The planned traffic bypass project has been heavily criticised over the years. For one, the Swedish Environmental Protection Agency (Naturvårdsverket) has been critical due to its assessment that the bypass will lead to increased carbon dioxide emissions in the Stockholm region by 80 percent by 2030.

The Green Party agrees and adds that Bypass Stockholm will not provide a lasting solution.

“The government’s decision is very unfortunate. Bypass Stockholm will increase Stockholm’s effect on the climate and increase vehicle numbers. At the same time, it will take resources from important commitments to communal traffic,” said the Green Party’s spokesperson, Maria Wetterstrand.

The government has indicated that certain environmental hurdles were satisfied before giving the final go-ahead for the motorway project: the Lambarfjärden is to be saved from exploitation, the Grimsta forest is to be preserved, the exploitation of Lov island is to be minimal, and the world heritage Drottningholm and the Natura 2000 area Edeby ekhage are to be preserved.

TT/Stuart Roberts ([email protected])

Last edited by kanterberg; September 3rd, 2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:50 PM   #384
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19372

Imo all those "critics" are basically from a few out-of-society environmental clubs, and is heavily overrated. Stockholm is build around a large lake region, with only one motorway connecting both sides. Other alternatives are surface streets right through the center of the city. This bypass was much-needed, and I think they need to build an eastern bypass of downtown too.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 11:24 PM   #385
kanterberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Imo all those "critics" are basically from a few out-of-society environmental clubs, and is heavily overrated. Stockholm is build around a large lake region, with only one motorway connecting both sides. Other alternatives are surface streets right through the center of the city. This bypass was much-needed, and I think they need to build an eastern bypass of downtown too.
I fully agree, with a little luck there could be decision made about the eastern bypass as well within a few years. The eastern bypass is also the only part missing in the ring road and would reduce traffic on the Essingeleden part of the ring road where traffic volumes are now over 160 000 per day.

One thing not mentioned in the news article is that the new bypass is to be paid for by congestion charges. The bypass itself will not be a toll road, but congestion charging will be introduced not only to enter the city, but also on the half finished ring road.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 11:39 PM   #386
ChrisZwolle
Road user

tolling the bypass would be stupid because everybody would still use E4. They make that mistake in Texas often..

At least the congestion charge in Stockholm is used for the tunnel, we're way beyond that point in the Netherlands. Motoring taxes are a general source of income, not to fund road projects.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 11:44 PM   #387
Morsue

The bypass will become the new corridor of the E4, I think. The most likely thing is that they will put toll gates on Essingeleden just north of Gröndal, and at Norrtull så all of the traffic passing the Mälaren divide close to the town center will be tolled. Actually, I find this quite logical. What's the point of building a €2,8 billion bypass of you don't give people an incentive to use it.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 11:56 PM   #388
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I'm not so sure if it is "quite logical". All the surrounding areas of Stockholm voted against the congestion charge. Swedish motoring taxes are not nothing, and such megaprojects can be funded by tax money every once in a while.

However, I do think getting the Essingeleden into the cc zone isn't the worst that could happen. At least there's a free bypass.
Old September 4th, 2009, 12:28 AM   #389
Attii

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
The bypass will become the new corridor of the E4, I think. The most likely thing is that they will put toll gates on Essingeleden just north of Gröndal, and at Norrtull så all of the traffic passing the Mälaren divide close to the town center will be tolled. Actually, I find this quite logical. What's the point of building a €2,8 billion bypass of you don't give people an incentive to use it.
In my opinion that would be a really short-sighted thing to do..since it would impede commuting traffic..besides the eventual eastern by-pass [östlig förbindelse] would make no no sense
Attii no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 12:29 AM   #390
kanterberg

Quote:
The bybass will indeed become the new E4 corridor and Essingleden will remain E20 all the way through Norra länken (North link).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I'm not so sure if it is "quite logical". All the surrounding areas of Stockholm voted against the congestion charge. Swedish motoring taxes are not nothing, and such megaprojects can be funded by tax money every once in a while.

However, I do think getting the Essingeleden into the cc zone isn't the worst that could happen. At least there's a free bypass.
I have conflicting feelings about the congestion charging. On the one hand motorists are already taxed heavily, but on the other hand the charge has finally made some long-overdue projects possible. The bypass obviously being the best example, but the upgrade of the E4 north of Stockholm to 2X4 lanes is another example of road projects paid for by congestion charges.

Then again, if there's a change of government next year we will likely not see a single krona from the congestion charge go towards new roads.
Old September 14th, 2009, 04:18 AM   #391
Morsue

Sweden's newest stretch of motorway will open on September 26th when the treacherous Rv73 is upgraded to a full motorway between Överfors and Gryt, the most dangerous part of the road. There still remains a few kms for the whole stretch between Stockholm and Nynäshamn to be completed. Nynäshamn is a major port providing the most major connection between the island of Gotland and the mainland.

http://www.vv.se/vagarna/Vagprojekt/...s/Invigningen/

Old September 15th, 2009, 10:30 PM   #392
SuperSergei

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Sweden's newest stretch of motorway will open on September 26th when the treacherous Rv73 is upgraded to a full motorway between Överfors and Gryt, the most dangerous part of the road. There still remains a few kms for the whole stretch between Stockholm and Nynäshamn to be completed. Nynäshamn is a major port providing the most major connection between the island of Gotland and the mainland.

http://www.vv.se/vagarna/Vagprojekt/...s/Invigningen/

How many kilometers will the new stretch be?
SuperSergei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 11:44 PM   #393
Morsue

The stretch that they're opening now is 12 kms long.
Old September 17th, 2009, 10:33 PM   #394
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Considering that this new bypass is going through heavily populated area and therefore will presumably go deep undergound, will it have any junctions (e.g. around Vällingby)?
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 01:27 AM   #395
Morsue

It will, actually. I think I can count to a total of three excluding the connections to the existing E4. One on Ekerö (trafikplats Lovön), one close to Vällingby (trafikplats Vinsta), and one at Hjulsta where it crosses the E18 (trafikplats Hjulsta).
Old September 18th, 2009, 01:31 AM   #396
kanterberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Considering that this new bypass is going through heavily populated area and therefore will presumably go deep undergound, will it have any junctions (e.g. around Vällingby)?
[IMG]http://i32.************/141im9v.gif[/IMG]

There will be five junctions on the bypass, the most important one being Trafikplats Hjulsta which will be the E4/E18 junction. This is also the only junction on the bypass that is above ground.
Old September 18th, 2009, 02:21 AM   #397
Morsue

Five? How are you counting then? I can see six in total, four on the stretch between Kungens Kurva and Häggvik. I missed out on trafikplats Akalla.
Old September 18th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #398
rimorski

Likes (Received): 13

Wow... almost completely underground bypass... why is that? Because of urbanism, topography or ecology - light and noise pollution? It must be expensive!
rimorski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 02:09 PM   #399
Dahlis

Likes (Received): 107

Im very sceptical to this förbifart, and enviremental reasons has got nothing to do with it. There is a huge risk that it will create large amounts of urban sprawl.

Im not saying that we dont need a new connection between north and south, im just saying it doesnt have to be a 27 billion crowns motorway!
Dahlis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 02:22 PM   #400
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Better have controlled sprawl than uncontrolled sprawl without good infrastructure. Not building motorways never stopped population growth...