daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 11th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #481
rarse

Likes (Received): 1

E4 (LQ) videos:

- Between Stockholm and Jönköping

- North of Jönköping:
- video 1
- video 2
- video 3

- E20 Oresund Bridge
rarse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2010, 07:36 PM   #482
rarse

Quote:
Originally Posted by riiga View Post
AADT data in Sweden

Thanks riiga!

Anyway I think this could be an indicator where which type of road (motorway or 2+1) is needed.
Old April 15th, 2010, 12:16 AM   #483
home300m

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarse View Post
Yep, another example is 800m on Uppsala western bypass.
Well it seems so.
home300m no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #484
rarse

I was looking for a map or data where in Sweden is which kind of road - 2+1, 1+1, motorway etc. without results. Anyone knows where to find it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by home300m View Post
Well it seems so.
Old April 15th, 2010, 10:08 PM   #485
ea1969
R21

Likes (Received): 181

Michelin maps distinguish between several types of roads (motorways - expressways - dual carriageways - single carriageway 4, 3, 2 lane roads and narrower roads). Of course a 3-lane road could be 2+1 or 1.5+1.5, but I cannot think of anything else.
Old April 19th, 2010, 02:22 PM   #486
rarse

OK thanks will try to find it.
Old April 20th, 2010, 03:13 PM   #487
Smastad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikespiegel View Post
Very unsafe. They were outlawed completely in Denmark more than 10 years ago.

The main problem was that cars would get entangled in the wire, and would make rescue operations take longer.

Another problem was that the wire would snap under high-energy impacts, and could result in the involved cars to hit on-coming traffic.
Mmm ... and surprisingly, they (and the 2+1 lane roads) plays the major role in the fact that Sweden has the lowest number of road casualties in Europe save Malta (with very few roads).

Quote:
Mötesfria vägar
De mötesfria vägarna är kanske den största anledningen till att trafikdöden tar allt färre liv i Sverige. Under de senaste tio åren har sträckan med mötesseparerad trafik mer än fördubblats. Medan det 2000 fanns 188 mil sådan väg hade vi 2009 420 mil, varav 188 mil var motorväg.
SvT Rapport

And Denmark? 2009 they were somewhere between france and Ireland.
Smastad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 03:42 PM   #488
Spikespiegel
Used Registrant

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smastad View Post
And Denmark? 2009 they were somewhere between france and Ireland.
That could also be because Sweden has a very low population Density, and often you are alone on the road, whereas in Denmark, it's rare that you drive more than a few seconds between each time you pass an oncoming car.
Spikespiegel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 04:05 PM   #489
Smastad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikespiegel View Post
That could also be because Sweden has a very low population Density, and often you are alone on the road, whereas in Denmark, it's rare that you drive more than a few seconds between each time you pass an oncoming car.
It could, but it isn't. For two resons: One is that average population density is not an accurate description of average traffic. The population and traffic in Sweden is fairly concentrated around its larger metropolitan areas. The second reason is that (although I omitted this fact) we have had a substantial decrease in mortality that can be directly attributed to road safety programmes. Of which these 2+1 roads with wires plays a major part.

It is generally agreed upon that motorcyclists suffer from these wire barriers however, the statistics includes them.

The other reson behind the decrease in mortality is the quality of the cars regarding safety. But I have no reason to believe that that could account for such a difference between Denmark and Sweden.
Old April 20th, 2010, 04:16 PM   #490
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Driving under influence can be a major factor. For example, in the Netherlands it is not socially accepted to drive under influence of alcohol, although DUI deaths are still about 1/3rd of all traffic fatalities. In Belgium, where DUI is apparently more socially accepted, there is also a much higher fatality rate than the Netherlands (between 2.5 and 3 times as high, depending on region).

I'm not sure what the attitude towards DUI is in Nordic countries. For example in Poland, a lot of people drive under influence of alcohol, and their fatality rate is also one of the highest of Europe. If the Nordic attitude of the population is very much against DUI, that may explain their low fatality rate.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 04:36 PM   #491
Dahlis

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smastad View Post

The other reson behind the decrease in mortality is the quality of the cars regarding safety. But I have no reason to believe that that could account for such a difference between Denmark and Sweden.

That could be a factor, Swedes tend to drive larger more safe cars while the danish tax laws hold back large cars.
Dahlis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 05:34 PM   #492
Danielk2
DanielKK

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I'm not sure what the attitude towards DUI is in Nordic countries.

If the Nordic attitude of the population is very much against DUI, that may explain their low fatality rate.
It's officially against DUI, but some people just happen to ignore the ban, due to a severe lack of police checks outside major cities.

When there are checks in Denmark, they are always on obvious days with high beer consumption. Mostly from the middle of December to new year, in Easter, and at major events.
Old April 20th, 2010, 10:42 PM   #493
Spikespiegel
Used Registrant

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielk2 View Post
It's officially against DUI, but some people just happen to ignore the ban, due to a severe lack of police checks outside major cities.

When there are checks in Denmark, they are always on obvious days with high beer consumption. Mostly from the middle of December to new year, in Easter, and at major events.
It's also a fairly frequent sight to see police blockades at the exits to major business areas. I often used to deliver my work personally to Alk Abelló in Hørsholm (located in the SCION Research park), and I have experienced police blockades with alcohol checks quite a few times there.
Spikespiegel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 01:27 PM   #494
Smastad

Quote:
Driving under influence can be a major factor. For example, in the Netherlands it is not socially accepted to drive under influence of alcohol, although DUI deaths are still about 1/3rd of all traffic fatalities. In Belgium, where DUI is apparently more socially accepted, there is also a much higher fatality rate than the Netherlands (between 2.5 and 3 times as high, depending on region).

I'm not sure what the attitude towards DUI is in Nordic countries. For example in Poland, a lot of people drive under influence of alcohol, and their fatality rate is also one of the highest of Europe. If the Nordic attitude of the population is very much against DUI, that may explain their low fatality rate.
As a whole, there would be slightly less tolerance towards DUI in Sweden than in Denmark. I expect that the difference has become smaller the last few years though.
Old April 21st, 2010, 02:06 PM   #495
Smastad

Swedish National Road and Transport Research Institute (VTI) has shown that fatality on 2+1 roads with wire fences are down by 79% since after the conversion. These roads are equal in safety to proper highways.
Old April 21st, 2010, 03:53 PM   #496
Thermo

Likes (Received): 4187

Quote:
In Belgium, where DUI is apparently more socially accepted
Source!?
Thermo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 04:13 PM   #497
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo View Post
Source!?
I don't have a direct source, that's why I said "apparently". It translates in the sky-high traffic fatalities in Belgium. Measured by population, Belgium is one of the least safe countries in Europe with 80 fatalities per 1 million people in Flanders and 120 fatalities in Wallonia. If DUI fatalities account for 30% of the Dutch traffic fatalities, how much would it be in Belgium?

Belgium is not just bad, it's extremely bad in traffic safety, especially for a western European country (together with Luxembourg).

I made this comparison a while ago, based on 2009 traffic fatalities found in news items.
[IMG]http://i42.************/rbzgh0.png[/IMG]
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 04:15 PM   #498
Smastad

Quote:
Source!?
If you mean the VTI report it's in Swedish on their homepage. If you mean DUI in Belgium, I suggest a cafe in your immediate vicinity. ;-)

Belgians do drink and drive responsibly. Especially, I have known the older breed to switch from Westmalle Trippel to Duvel a few pints before having to drive home ...

I apologise for bringing in anecdotal evidence in this but the above is a summary of my favourite anectote regarding Belgium. To be fair, it was in West Vlanders and not in Antwerp.
Old April 21st, 2010, 05:42 PM   #499
Thermo

Likes (Received): 4187

Quote:
I don't have a direct source, that's why I said "apparently". It translates in the sky-high traffic fatalities in Belgium. Measured by population, Belgium is one of the least safe countries in Europe with 80 fatalities per 1 million people in Flanders and 120 fatalities in Wallonia.
I don't think you can measure the 'social acceptance' of DUI by the number of traffic accidents.

I haven't met any person who thinks driving under influence is ok. Drunken drivers are often considered to be as bad as muderers.

Especially since the BOB-campaign, DUI has become more and more unacceptable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_campaign
Thermo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 11:26 PM   #500
Smastad

Quote:
I don't think you can measure the 'social acceptance' of DUI by the number of traffic accidents.

I haven't met any person who thinks driving under influence is ok. Drunken drivers are often considered to be as bad as muderers.

Especially since the BOB-campaign, DUI has become more and more unacceptable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_campaign
Agree with all of the above. The BOB campaign was long overdue in Belgium though.