daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 25th, 2010, 01:32 PM   #561
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That is exactly why I was talking about situations with existing comprehensive public transport systems.
1., Basically I agree :-)
2., In details: a public transport system is not like a light switch that has only two statuses: on or off. PT can be more or less developed, more or less comprehensive. So even in a metropolitan area where PT system seems to be very comprehensive it is possible to make further developments that make the whole traffic system (PT + roads together) much more effective (and even very poor PT networks can remain poor if development is a subject of political decisions instead of effectivity calculations).
So I think each planned PT development has to be examined separately whether it helps making the traffic system more effective or not and you're right that in areas where PT is extensiv and effective (e.g. in Stockholm) ot is difficult (or even impossible) to find really effective further PT developments.
But as you are a qualified person I am sure you know it as well :-)

Although we seem to stand in opposite sites I think our opinions are very similar and it's a pleasure for me discussing with you :-)
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2010, 08:47 PM   #562
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17035

Quote:
The number of people transported by public transport says 0.0 about the profitability of a system. NYC's subway is one of the busiest in the world, yet requires massive subsidies.

While transit systems indeed have the capacity to transport massive amounts of people, in this discussion you have to see the link between road traffic and public transport. We're talking about automobility related revenue moved to public transport spending to reduce road congestion. That just doesn't work. If you want to improve public transport, start getting revenue by the people who actually use it. So increase fares. But that's a non-starter for most governments... The idea of the user paying regular price for a service!

Double standards. Apparently, it is considered reasonable to tax motorists to death, but it is not reasonable to let public transport users even pay half of the actual price...
Like i said before , the NYC system wouldn't need that much subsided or any at all if the MTA wasn't corrupt. So in the Future don't use NYC , use another city.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2010, 09:00 PM   #563
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

The farebox recovery ratio is 37.1% for MTA. That has nothing to do with corruption. It is similar to the farebox recovery ratios for other major cities.

The farebox recovery ratio is a figure that shows how much revenue a transport agency receives through it's paying customers relative to the expenses to operate and maintain their system.

In this case, travelers pay 37.1% of the actual expenses. The rest is usually covered by real estate exploitation, advertising and above all; government subsidies (for example local sales taxes or gas tax).

It should also be noted the government also compensates a transport authority through traveler credits. For example, in some countries, students can travel for "free". The government compensates the transport authority for these travelers. It sometimes varies how these figures are included, but it should be noted some farebox recovery ratios thus also include government compensations (that is tax money). In some cases, the subsidy can be as high as 80 - 90% of all income for a transport agency.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 02:37 PM   #564
khawa

Likes (Received): 0

New Hudiksvall bypass on E4

An additional leg of motorway on E4 between Enånger and Hudiksvall is due to open in the fall of 2011. Here are some pictures of the new Hudiksvall bypass u/c on July 16, 2010.

khawa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 03:14 PM   #565
rarse

Likes (Received): 1

Hi khawa.

Thanks for the info and for the pictures. It looks great.

Anyway with "new Hudiksvall bypass" you mean the one that is in Google maps western of town?
rarse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 03:30 PM   #566
khawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarse View Post
Hi khawa.

Thanks for the info and for the pictures. It looks great.

Anyway with "new Hudiksvall bypass" you mean the one that is in Google maps western of town?
The pictures are taken at the location indicated by the red arrow on the capture below. The new strech of motorway is highlighted in blue.
Old July 26th, 2010, 03:38 PM   #567
rarse

Likes (Received): 1

OK thanks, now I see what did you mean with "new".
rarse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 03:38 PM   #568
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Are there plans for a Sundsvall bypass?
Old July 26th, 2010, 03:44 PM   #569
khawa

Quote:
Yes,
here
Old July 26th, 2010, 03:52 PM   #570
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Förbifart Stockholm (bypass)
Old July 26th, 2010, 04:06 PM   #571
ChrisZwolle
Road user

New speed limits in Sweden (2009)

Höjd = increased
Sänkt = lowered

Apparently, many 110 limits in Northern Sweden were lowered to 100 km/h or less. Many roads in southern Sweden increased to 90 km/h.
Old July 26th, 2010, 11:30 PM   #572
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

As far as I know, the Hudiksvall bypass will not be motorway, but 2+2. Sundsvall bypass however will be motorway. Additionally, a mediocre "bypass" is being built in Umeå, 2+2 and 2+1 with 90% roundabouts.

The eastern road will be the new E4. To pass Umeå on this 2+2/2+1 road, drivers will have to pass 8(!) roundabouts, as well as a long stretch with 70km/h. The road passes through residential areas with lots of local traffic. Possibly the worst bypass ever to be constructed.

More info: http://www.trafikverket.se/Privat/Pr...Umeaprojektet/

Last edited by metasmurf; July 26th, 2010 at 11:48 PM.
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 11:34 PM   #573
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Probably a "Fyrfältsväg" (literally; dual carriageway or multilane-road).
Old July 26th, 2010, 11:41 PM   #574
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by metasmurf View Post
As far as I know, the Hudiksvall bypass will not be motorway, but 2+2. Sundsvall bypass however will be motorway.
I think it's going to be a road with 2+2-standard (not really motorway), but with motorway signs. Same like the motorway from Söderhamn to Enånger.
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 12:00 AM   #575
metasmurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post
I think it's going to be a road with 2+2-standard (not really motorway), but with motorway signs. Same like the motorway from Söderhamn to Enånger.
It's funny how that stretch Söderhamn - Enånger can be classified as motorway. This isn't motorway to me

Old July 27th, 2010, 12:18 AM   #576
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
It's funny how that stretch Söderhamn - Enånger can be classified as motorway. This isn't motorway to me

This road was opened in 1999 and the first years it was not classified as a motorway. All of the signs at this road was not at the standard for motorways too. Like the signs at the picture that are definitely not motorways standard. The junctions are not like the motorways standard, more like just a normal road. But in 2003 they reclassified this road to a motorway. They put motorways signs at the road. But they didn’t chance the rest of the signs tha are still not in motorways standard. And the junctions still not look like a motorway. So this motorway is quite funny.
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 12:30 AM   #577
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
As far as I know, the Hudiksvall bypass will not be motorway, but 2+2. Sundsvall bypass however will be motorway. Additionally, a mediocre "bypass" is being built in Umeå, 2+2 and 2+1 with 90% roundabouts.

The eastern road will be the new E4. To pass Umeå on this 2+2/2+1 road, drivers will have to pass 8(!) roundabouts, as well as a long stretch with 70km/h. The road passes through residential areas with lots of local traffic. Possibly the worst bypass ever to be constructed.

More info: http://www.trafikverket.se/Privat/Pr...Umeaprojektet/
Sounds pretty silly. I thought the idea of a bypass was to bypass a town or city. I was obviously mistaken... In addition, does Umeå really need a ring road? Wouldn't it have made more sense (even financially speaking...) to build a proper bypass/beltway taking E4/E12 traffic away from the city?
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 12:55 AM   #578
metasmurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElviS77 View Post
Sounds pretty silly. I thought the idea of a bypass was to bypass a town or city. I was obviously mistaken... In addition, does Umeå really need a ring road? Wouldn't it have made more sense (even financially speaking...) to build a proper bypass/beltway taking E4/E12 traffic away from the city?
Building a proper bypass would be better. The amount of throughtraffic isn't that high, so a 2+1 would be fine. However, with the already existing bridge Kolbäcksbron in place, I guess it was the cheapest alternative. Thus, instead of having trucks go through a relatively sparsely populated area of downtown, trucks and throughtraffic will now have to cruise through these 8 roundabouts close to residential areas with ~20k people living near the road as well as a popular recreational area, the Nydala lake.

Last edited by metasmurf; July 27th, 2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old July 27th, 2010, 02:58 AM   #579
kanterberg

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:

The Sundsvall by-pass includes 17 km of new motorway and a 1600 meter bridge. Construction starts this year and the new motorway is expected to open in 2014. The toal cost of the project is estimated at 4 billion SEK (≈ €400 million)
kanterberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 04:38 AM   #580
metasmurf

Sundsvall bypass is greatly needed. Last time I drove there, traffic was pretty bad. Just a normal 2-lane road with many traffic lights. Probably the slowest section of E4.