daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 18th, 2010, 02:40 PM   #661
kanterberg

Likes (Received): 4

Transport minister Thorstensson has said so on several occasions, but when I double-checked there is no confirmation on any start date (maybe the legal issues are not sorted out after all). It is however mentioned in the government proposition for the Gothenburg congestion tax scheme and the idea is obviously to have the same system in both cities.

I also doubt it will be worth the effort.
kanterberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2010, 03:50 PM   #662
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsue View Post
Of course, the number of cars won't be as high as in [insert country close to the Netherlands], but there is quite a lot of foreign cars. Especially Finnish and Estonian since we have ferry connections to those countries. But I'm unsure as to the percentage compared to other nations.
I see more German cars than Finnish cars in Stockholm. But there is a lot of Estonian cars too. There is also a lot of Latvian and Lithuanian cars in Stockholm. And the Lithuanian plates is very similar to the Swedish.
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 04:45 PM   #663
Stainless

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Of course, the number of cars won't be as high as in [insert country close to the Netherlands], but there is quite a lot of foreign cars. Especially Finnish and Estonian since we have ferry connections to those countries. But I'm unsure as to the percentage compared to other nations.
Is the ferry terminal within the congestion charge zone? It would be pretty unfair to charge when you have been transported into the middle of it. This would affect a lot of Finnish and Alandic cars especially.
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 04:58 PM   #664
Morsue

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
Is the ferry terminal within the congestion charge zone? It would be pretty unfair to charge when you have been transported into the middle of it. This would affect a lot of Finnish and Alandic cars especially.
In fact it is! I agree with you, I was thinking about that last week when I was in the ferry terminal area.
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 08:59 PM   #665
Grisent

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Indeed, they all make a strong vibrating sound that shakes your whole car. This is mainly to awaken drowsy drivers. So it's painted that way in the name of traffic safety.
Here's one more possible variant:

[IMG]http://i36.************/14kei9t.jpg[/IMG]
Grisent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 10:52 PM   #666
kanterberg

A low budget motorway

E18 Trafikplats Adolfsberg (110a) – Trafikplats Lekhyttan (106)

Last year a 20 km stretch of new E18 opened for traffic west of Örebro. It was planned as a “fyrfältsväg”; a four lane highway. In the end the Traffic Administration decided to sign it as a motorway.

The median and shoulders are narrower than what is usually the standard and people sometimes refer to it as the “budget motorway”. Furthermore, the E18/E20 interchange at Trafikplats Adolfsberg wasn’t rebuilt when the road opened. As a consequence there is a 1 km gap between the connecting motorways.

AADT for this section is around 15 000 vehicles per day.

(1). We start out at Trafikplats Adolfsberg, where the E18 and E20 split. Notice how the exit signs shows it as as a motortrafikled (autostrasse/semi-motorway).

(2).

(3). Technically not a motorway-exit…

(4). The motorway begins.

(5). The road number is missing on this sign

(6).

(7).

(8).

(9). The median is not even wide enough for road signs; instead it’s way on the other side of the road. I don’t think I’ve seen that on a motorway anywhere else.

(10).

(11). Picture taken from the bridge at exit 107

(12). The shoulder can barely take the whole car…

(13). The last exit before it becomes a 2+1 highway.

(14).

Opposite direction (at Trafikplats Adolfsberg):

There is a study into how to connect the E18 and the E20 in a proper motorway interchange in the future. For now we have to live with the 1 km gap between the motorways…

The motorway ends and becomes a motortrafikled (autostrasse/semi-motorway). Indirect sign for E20.

Old August 20th, 2010, 11:50 PM   #667
rarse

Thanks again for the report and pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanterberg View Post
Where is the breaking lane?!?!

Quote:
(9). The median is not even wide enough for road signs; instead it’s way on the other side of the road. I don’t think I’ve seen that on a motorway anywhere else.
So do I, I see this for the first time.

Quote:
(12). The shoulder can barely take the whole car…

This stretch of E18 looks like it was built with very low budget and it looks poor.

Is "Trafikplats" in Swedish motorway terminology only for exits or for exits and interchanges?

Is speed limit on this stretch 110 km/h except at highway gap (90?)?
rarse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 01:08 AM   #668
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarse View Post

This stretch of E18 looks like it was built with very low budget and it looks poor.

Is "Trafikplats" in Swedish motorway terminology only for exits or for exits and interchanges?

Yes, the stretch looks very poor. Some of the motorways in Sweden looks poor.

Trafikplats means junction, but normally we don’t say trafikplats, we call it avfart, and in the west part of Sweden around Göteborg they call it mot.

The "gap" is not a highway, it’s a autostrasse or semi motorway. Some parts of the motorway network are semi motorways with 2+1-standard instead of normal motorways. The motorways at the E18 is some parts of real motorways and some parts is semi motorways.
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 04:07 AM   #669
Schweden
Registered Loser

Likes (Received): 40

I actually don't think that stretch is "poor". Maybe it would be better of as a "motortrafikled", but it's still an HUGE improvement over the old road and everyone who lives nearby (including me) is REALLY happy this road is finnished. I've never seen it as a budget motorway, up until you said it. I've seen it as an improvement. Maybe I'm blind because I live nearby.
Schweden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 09:13 AM   #670
Aphelion

Likes (Received): 20

That cross-section will be used for the yet-to-be-constructed parts of the E22 in Scania.
Aphelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 10:14 AM   #671
kanterberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarse View Post

Where is the breaking lane?!?!

Thank you rarse for the feedback. This motorway is indeed designed a bit different, that’s why I thought it would be interesting to show it here.

Regarding the breaking/deceleration lane it is sometimes not on the actual motorway in Sweden, it depends on how long the exit ramp is. In this case there’s a long 90 km/h exit ramp, so you really don’t have to slow down (you’re actually not supposed to) until after you exit the motorway. You’ll see this in other countries as well, particularly in Scandinavia.

Here’s a Danish example:
photo credit: ChrisZwolle

Regarding speed limit, it is 110 km/h for the motorway part and 90 km/h on the autostrasse part (perhaps one of few Swedish motorways where a 110 limit is actually reasonable).

And to @Schweden, of course it’s a huge improvement compared to the old road. It’s much safer and travelling time between Örebro and Karlstad has been reduced significantly. But I think you’re right, it would have been more appropriate to sign it as a motortrafikled (autostrasse).
Old August 21st, 2010, 11:27 AM   #672
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

Thanks for the pictures kanterberg, always a plesaure. Budget or not, I can only dream of such roads up here in the north
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 12:28 PM   #673
rarse

Quote:
Thank you rarse for the feedback. This motorway is indeed designed a bit different, that’s why I thought it would be interesting to show it here.
Indeed! Every report so far from you was nice to see and interesting to read!

Quote:
Regarding the breaking/deceleration lane it is sometimes not on the actual motorway in Sweden, it depends on how long the exit ramp is. In this case there’s a long 90 km/h exit ramp, so you really don’t have to slow down (you’re actually not supposed to) until after you exit the motorway. You’ll see this in other countries as well, particularly in Scandinavia.
Oh I see. I was confused and not used to exits like this because in Slovenia there is always a breaking/decelerating lane on a motorway.

Quote:
Regarding speed limit, it is 110 km/h for the motorway part and 90 km/h on the autostrasse part (perhaps one of few Swedish motorways where a 110 limit is actually reasonable).
Similar example is Slovenias "motorway" A5 which is signed as motorway but actually without shoulders. Speed limit is 110 km/h.

Quote:
And to @Schweden, of course it’s a huge improvement compared to the old road. It’s much safer and travelling time between Örebro and Karlstad has been reduced significantly. But I think you’re right, it would have been more appropriate to sign it as a motortrafikled (autostrasse).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweden View Post
I actually don't think that stretch is "poor". Maybe it would be better of as a "motortrafikled", but it's still an HUGE improvement over the old road and everyone who lives nearby (including me) is REALLY happy this road is finnished. I've never seen it as a budget motorway, up until you said it. I've seen it as an improvement. Maybe I'm blind because I live nearby.
I think every upgrade from classic 2 lane road either to 2+1 road, semi-motorway or motorway is (a big) improvement.

Anyway I was talking about poor road in the motorway class (which is indeed the highest class) because of the lack of motorway standards which people are used to.
Old August 24th, 2010, 10:25 PM   #674
kanterberg

E4 – Vätterleden motorway

A report from E4 southbound east of lake Vättern. It is one of the oldest motorways in Sweden (built in the 1960:s).

This motorway was built for left-hand traffic (!), which can actually be seen in the layout at some junctions (at exit- and entrance lanes, for example).

We follow the road for 43 km. AADT for this stretch is around 20 000 vehicles per day where we start out and over 40 000 once we reach Jönköping.

(1). We start out just before the Brahehus service area.

(2). The Brahehus service area has a filling station and a restaurant, but the most interesting feature is perhaps the ruins of the Brahehus Castle, built in the 1640:s.

(3).

(4).

(5).

(6). In Gränna, there is a ferry-connection to the island of Visingsö, a popular tourist destination in this part of Sweden.

(7). The “Gyllene Uttern” is probably Sweden’s oldest motel and road side restaurant. It was opened in 1932 when it was known as the half-way marker on the old “Road 1” between Stockholm and Helsingborg.

(8). From exit 106 to 97 the E4 and road 50 are multiplexed.

(9). 275 km left to Helsingborg, but around 1300 km left before the Frenchman in front of us is home…

(10). Upcoming filling stations

(11). Plenty of road side restaurant and hotels in this area.

(12). Lake Vättern, Sweden’s second largest lake and Europe’s sixth largest.

(13).

(14).

(15).

(16).

(17).

(18). This sign translates as “Speed limit lowered to reduce noise”; it's 90 km/h through Jönköping.

(19). Exit 100 to Huskvarna, birthplace of Husqvarna – one of the world's largest producers of chainsaws, lawn and garden equipment.

(20). Entering Jönköping, a city with a population of about 85 000.

(21). First local exit in Jönköping, hence the white sign.

(22). Indirect signs for roads 26, 40 (west) and 47 (west).

(23).

(24). Overhead signs on urban motorways in Sweden rarely show control cities, only road numbers.

(25). Exit here for Jönköping city center.

(26). The A6 shopping mall has its own exit.

(27).

(28). Approaching Trafikplats Ljungarum, the E4/Road 40 interchange.

(29). Trafikplats Ljungarum has a clover-leaf layout, but it lacks at c/d-lane.

(30). TOTSO – Turn off to stay on E4, or countinue on 40 towards Gothenburg.

Last edited by kanterberg; August 24th, 2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old August 24th, 2010, 10:40 PM   #675
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

Quote:
(18). This sign translates as “Speed limit lowered to reduce noise”; it's 90 km/h through Jönköping.
Government lies. Noise is barely reduced by lowering speed limits which don't affect truck traffic. For example, lowering the speed limit from 120 tot 100 km/h means a reduction of around 0.4 - 0.6 decibel. Not something the human ear can detect. It's just a way to "sell" the lower speed limit to tax payers (motorists).
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 10:45 PM   #676
piotr71

I particularly thank You for these images. I drove on this stretch several times and always stopped in the rest area on the left, admiring fantastic landscape there.

Another thing is that I find Swedish rest places as very best anywhere in Europe. Apart from many good things I like about them, I really love that there is usually a map of sorrounding area in small box free to take.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 02:16 AM   #677
Shifty2k5

Likes (Received): 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Government lies. Noise is barely reduced by lowering speed limits which don't affect truck traffic. For example, lowering the speed limit from 120 tot 100 km/h means a reduction of around 0.4 - 0.6 decibel. Not something the human ear can detect. It's just a way to "sell" the lower speed limit to tax payers (motorists).

The asphalt on this particular strech is known as "tyst asfalt" or "silent asphalt" in Sweden. The composite containts more rubber than usually, which makes noise from the tires less noticeable. It's brand new too.

So the noise is reduced, but mainly due to the asphalt and not the speed limit
Shifty2k5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 09:32 AM   #678
Morsue

Likes (Received): 46

At the top of this "hill" (around the place where you see the truck in the right lane) you can find the highest point on any Swedish motorway, about 285 meters above sea level.

Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 11:23 AM   #679
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

Another nice "col" in Sweden is on E6, just north of Ängelholm.

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 12:19 PM   #680
rarse

Hi guys,

I just found a map yesterday on Trafikverket site which is new to me, since so far i knew only for the Kungens Kurva - Häggvik part of planned Stockholm bypass, but connecting half-finished Norrortsleden and future Södertörnsleden makes bypass looks more decent with half a ring around the Stockholm.

And E18 will be connected to E4 avoiding the motorway gap.

Click a map to enlarge.

Quote:
A report from E4
As always kanterberg, great report and thank you.

Quote:
(9). 275 km left to Helsingborg, but around 1300 km left before the Frenchman in front of us is home…

Quote:
(24). Overhead signs on urban motorways in Sweden rarely show control cities, only road numbers.
I suppose if you don't know the road numbers in Sweden, you might be a little bit lost?!

Last edited by rarse; August 25th, 2010 at 12:34 PM.