daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 10th, 2010, 03:18 PM   #781
Nikolaj

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWG95 View Post
No, they probably wouldn't, since most people would be fully content with 130 km/h on the motorways. Even now, I haven't heard any complaints from people I know about low speed limits. But my opinion is that it could be higher.
Agree. A good example is the Danish motorways where we have a general speed limit of 130 km/h. However the average recorded speed on 130 km/h sections is only around 122-123 km/h, whereas on the sections signed with 110 km/h the average recorded speed is approx. 117 km/h. 130 km/h seems to be a fully accepted speed, which very few exceeds, whereas 110 km/h seems to be on the low side of what is accepted.
Nikolaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 10th, 2010, 03:44 PM   #782
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Indeed.

There is no such thing as "Vmax+20 km/h", as some opponents of speed limit raises suggest. People want do drive a speed that feels credible and comfortable for the road layout. 110 km/h is no such speed, but 120 - 130 is better. Of course you always have people who drive faster than the limit, but the majority really doesn't drive +20 km/h by default. This only happens when the speed limits are too low on a large scale, for example in the Netherlands, where V85 speeds that are 30 km/h over the limit are not uncommon.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2010, 10:00 PM   #783
BWG95

Likes (Received): 5

Then of course, there are also those wo drive like only 100 km/h on Swedish motorways, even though it is 110 or sometimes even 120.
BWG95 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2010, 11:06 PM   #784
Magnus Brage
Another RussianDatingScam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
People want do drive a speed that feels credible and comfortable for the road layout. 110 km/h is no such speed, but 120 - 130 is better. Of course you always have people who drive faster than the limit, but the majority really doesn't drive +20 km/h by default.
I think It's enough if one motorist drives +20km/h by default if he causes an accident.

Optimal speed on motorway depends on

:Standard of road
:Traffic Flow
:Type of Car
:Straightness of the road
:weather conditions

As an example the E4 Linköping-Mjölby

It's a straight road of high standard with low traffic flow (almost empty at times) not to compare with motorways in mainland europe.

If I have a modern medium size type of car which most swedes have I'd rather drive at 140km/h than 120km/h.

If the speed limit is 120km/h i will probably be driving at the speed of 120-130km/h in fear of fines and loosing drivers license.

BUT if they changed speed limit to 130km/h people would probably drive up to 140km/h on a sunny day.

I drove that road both when speed limit was 110km/h and now when it is 120km/h and I see that the motorists are driving a lot faster. At times I reach 140km/h now If I did that when the limit was 110km/h I would loose my license. There is a limit of +30km/h for suspended license. So now I can reach the speed of 149km/h without loosing my license and people know that.

Speeding is mainly because modern cars are made for higher speed than 120km/h.

A modern car is comfortable even up to speeds as 180-200km/h.

Me and a friend drove (ok my friend sat behind the wheel ) a BMW V8 at 230km/h and that felt hazardous on a motorway outside Stockholm, but let's say we drove it at 160km/h on a rural motorway on a sunny afternoon with less traffic we would probably not have taken notice because the car is well isolated and the suspension will take care of any minor bumps that would occur on the high standard roads.

Of Course that type of speed would be less comfortable on a curvy continental autobahn with intense trafficflow and lots of intersections.

In north sweden there are empty straight roads reminding of air-fields, if the speed limit was raised - no doubt people would be driving as fast as possible.
Magnus Brage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2010, 06:06 PM   #785
Morsue

Likes (Received): 46

Then again, driving at very high speeds is not very economical. I drove my car at 210 km/h outside Frankfurt with a consumption of 19 l/100 km. At 110 km/h that number is 7 l/100 km, so people won't afford to travel at those speeds for very long.
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2010, 06:20 PM   #786
Magnus Brage
Another RussianDatingScam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsue View Post
Then again, driving at very high speeds is not very economical. I drove my car at 210 km/h outside Frankfurt with a consumption of 19 l/100 km. At 110 km/h that number is 7 l/100 km, so people won't afford to travel at those speeds for very long.
Ok, men är du VD med ny BMW på väg till viktigt möte, så är dom där 1,9l/milen småpotatis. Tid=pengar.

Ju högre tillåten hastighet desto fler som kör ännu snabbare än vad de skulle ha gjort med lägre hastighetsbegränsing.
Magnus Brage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2010, 06:21 PM   #787
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

English please! I speak Swedish but many here don't understand it.
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 09:53 PM   #788
Aphelion

Likes (Received): 20

Updated projects list, click here. The table is sortable. Feel free to comment.
Aphelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 09:59 PM   #789
Danielk2
DanielKK

Likes (Received): 2

Does a line in the current road space mean that there is currently no road, or that there's no information?
Old December 29th, 2010, 10:51 PM   #790
Aphelion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielk2 View Post
Does a line in the current road space mean that there is currently no road, or that there's no information?
No information, I will dig it up when I get the time.
Old December 30th, 2010, 12:18 AM   #791
Schweden
Registered Loser

Likes (Received): 40

Great list!
Schweden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 06:50 PM   #792
Schweden
Registered Loser

Likes (Received): 40

A video of the new E18, bypass Hummelsta.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiKu2_FtuGo
Schweden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 11:31 AM   #793
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweden View Post
A video of the new E18, bypass Hummelsta.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiKu2_FtuGo
Looks very good, although the shoulders look a bit narrow. Is it one of them 18,5m narrow motorways?
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 08:12 PM   #794
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Really strange. So wide median but so narrow shoulder.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #795
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Really strange. So wide median but so narrow shoulder.
Most of the new motorways in Sweden have very narrow shoulders. They say it cost less money to build a motorway like that.

One interesting thing is that is something political with this too. Some political parties don’t think it is political correct to build a full size motorway. So first they wanted to build 2+1-roads instead. But now they building real motorways but with narrow shoulders, like a compromise.
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 08:42 PM   #796
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Narrow shoulders cost lives. Emergency services cannot reach the site of an accident quickly when there is a traffic jam. That's why you need at least 3 m wide shoulders. If you want to be flexible during road works, 3.5 - 4.0 m shoulders are preferred, so you can work with a 4-0 system instead of a 2-0 or 1-2 system which reduces capacity.
Old January 8th, 2011, 12:09 AM   #797
Kjello0

Likes (Received): 70

If the alternative is 2+1 roads I for sure go for Motorways without shoulders. Though I agree in principle that all motorways should have shoulders.
Kjello0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2011, 08:28 AM   #798
Aphelion

Quote:
Originally Posted by metasmurf View Post
Looks very good, although the shoulders look a bit narrow. Is it one of them 18,5m narrow motorways?
All new motorways, regardless of cross-section, seem to get a 2 m shoulder.
Old January 8th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #799
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphelion View Post
All new motorways, regardless of cross-section, seem to get a 2 m shoulder.
I wonder how much less the cost might be. Are 2m of extra asphalt so much more expensive that it's justifiable?
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2011, 12:05 PM   #800
ChrisZwolle
Road user

If you have 3.5+3.5+2 m lanes+shoulder, and you increase it by another 2 m, your asphalt cost increases around 20%.

2 m is too narrow. 2.5 m too, fire trucks are 2.5 m wide and if there is a guardrail next to it, they can hardly pass through. 3 m is the minimum in my opinion, so fire trucks can pass and trucks can use it in case of breakdowns.