daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 8th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #801
Aphelion

Likes (Received): 20

Many newer motorways are built in rural less trafficed areas, which probably plays a part... The E22 motorway from Bromölla to Sölve was completed in 1995. In 2006 the AADT was 12.000 - thus, 2 m was seen as enough of a shoulder.
Aphelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2011, 03:53 PM   #802
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 585

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphelion View Post
All new motorways, regardless of cross-section, seem to get a 2 m shoulder.
There are some motorways built with no shoulder, here is one long section with no shoulder on E6 opened in 2003(i think.)
http://maps.google.no/?ie=UTF8&ll=58...50.81,,0,16.74
Old January 8th, 2011, 04:27 PM   #803
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
There are some motorways built with no shoulder, here is one long section with no shoulder on E6 opened in 2003(i think.)
http://maps.google.no/?ie=UTF8&ll=58...50.81,,0,16.74
According to this article: http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel...rtikel=2470161 , shoulders were supposed to be added due to a number of fatal accidents. However, I don't know if shoulders actually have been added or not.
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2011, 05:25 PM   #804
Grisent

Likes (Received): 1

Was the E18 shoulder really 2 m wide? To me it looked even less than that; but maybe that's just how it seems in the video.

I'd say 2 metres is not even enough to safely pull up when your car breaks down.
Old January 8th, 2011, 05:46 PM   #805
Shifty2k5

Likes (Received): 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by metasmurf View Post
According to this article: http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel...rtikel=2470161 , shoulders were supposed to be added due to a number of fatal accidents. However, I don't know if shoulders actually have been added or not.
The google maps car apparently drove by when they were widening the road, so I found some pics for you..

Finished shoulder on the other side and no shoulder on the photo side.
http://tinyurl.com/3akuwkc

Finished shoulders:

http://tinyurl.com/35wl7bg
Shifty2k5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 11:47 AM   #806
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post
Most of the new motorways in Sweden have very narrow shoulders. They say it cost less money to build a motorway like that.
That's true, if you reduce median width to few meters, but in this case definitely no.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 11:50 AM   #807
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
If you have 3.5+3.5+2 m lanes+shoulder, and you increase it by another 2 m, your asphalt cost increases around 20%.
Which is only a small fraction of total cost. The costliest are earth works and objects.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 10:37 PM   #808
Schweden
Registered Loser

Likes (Received): 40

Safety seems to be the most important part these days, yet Trafikverket builds motorways with small shoulders. We get crappy 2+1 roads (not a fan of those) on every major road in the country but we can't even build motorways properly.
Schweden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2011, 09:41 AM   #809
Magnus Brage
Another RussianDatingScam

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweden View Post
Safety seems to be the most important part these days, yet Trafikverket builds motorways with small shoulders. We get crappy 2+1 roads (not a fan of those) on every major road in the country but we can't even build motorways properly.
The old E4 Linköping-Vikingstad is now a 110km/h 2+1 road. I prefer that instead of hazardous overhauls on a wide 1+1 road. Ofcourse you could get stuck behind a slow lorry, but that is only for a short distance.

Also Riksväg 34 Linköping-Motala has some distances of 2+1 roads, which makes driving comfortable, whith no oncoming traffic to worry about.

The number of vehicles of traffic on many swedish roads are to low to admit full motorway status, that is the reason for 2+1 roads, these are the safe alternative to wide 1+1 110km/h roads. High speed-traffic may be blocked and slowed down by other vehicles for short distances but safety is more important than that.
Magnus Brage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 12:17 AM   #810
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus Brage View Post
The old E4 Linköping-Vikingstad is now a 110km/h 2+1 road. I prefer that instead of hazardous overhauls on a wide 1+1 road. Ofcourse you could get stuck behind a slow lorry, but that is only for a short distance.
However, since they converted it, you can't longer bike along this road, which is a shame. 2+1 roads only improves safety for motorized vehicles. I think Trafikverket should be required to construct a pedestrian/bike path just beside the road when they make it a 2+1 road. (Not if it's a new stretch though)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus Brage View Post
Also Riksväg 34 Linköping-Motala has some distances of 2+1 roads, which makes driving comfortable, whith no oncoming traffic to worry about.
Most of the 2+1 part is still without a center crash barrier, and was constructed in the early 90s. And I still wonder why there hasn't been any attempt to re-align Rv 36 (34) to south of Boren, since that would mean a 4 km shorter distance, as well as easier terrain and solve the problem of bypassing the small villages along the current road...
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 07:18 PM   #811
Schweden
Registered Loser

Sweden really lacks rest stops with gas stations and maybe a restaurant. Now, when our motorway network is fairly large, it is being used for long distance travelling. To make it easier for drivers and truck drivers to find good service, Trafikverket should include rest stops with gas stations along our major motorway stretches. Now, you need to look for gas station signs along the motorway exits and then you won't get a full rest stop, you'll only get a gas station and maybe a McDonald's.

This exists in most of Europe and even in Norway (!).
Old January 12th, 2011, 07:30 PM   #812
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

I may be able to clinch ALL of E4 this summer. I'm planning a roadtrip up north.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 08:30 PM   #813
Shifty2k5

Likes (Received): 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I may be able to clinch ALL of E4 this summer. I'm planning a roadtrip up north.

Trust me Chris, go for it!

I live in the south of Sweden and until this summer I had never been north of Stockholm. So me and two buddies of mine decided to go hike at Norra Kusten (just north of Norra Kusten bron) and we did a 1-day roadtrip from Helsingborg to Örnsköldsvik all along the E4, approx 1100 kilometers.

We're all big motorway fans and all that, but it's not until you hit Gävle and the 2+1 roads and the regular highways that the landscape get truly stunning. Now, I've driven thru the desert from Las Vegas to San Fransisco on US95, I've traveled with amtrack from New Orleans across the south to Los Angeles and I've driving from Sweden to the south of Italy thru the alps, but the E4 along the baltic coast is in my opinion the most beautiful stretch of road that I have ever driven, I strongly recommend it!

My two cents

Quote:
Sweden really lacks rest stops with gas stations and maybe a restaurant. Now, when our motorway network is fairly large, it is being used for long distance travelling. To make it easier for drivers and truck drivers to find good service, Trafikverket should include rest stops with gas stations along our major motorway stretches. Now, you need to look for gas station signs along the motorway exits and then you won't get a full rest stop, you'll only get a gas station and maybe a McDonald's.

Not really sure what you mean about that. I think Rasta is a pretty good example of a restaurant/gasstation establishment that you would commonly see when driving on the Swedish motorway network.

Last edited by Shifty2k5; January 12th, 2011 at 08:58 PM.
Shifty2k5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 09:54 PM   #814
Schweden
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty2k5 View Post
Not really sure what you mean about that. I think Rasta is a pretty good example of a restaurant/gasstation establishment that you would commonly see when driving on the Swedish motorway network.
You see Rasta commonly? Also, Rasta isnt always easy to access from the motorway.
Old January 14th, 2011, 02:12 AM   #815
kanterberg

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:

I think it's hard to blame Trafikverket, there are plenty of such rest stops available. Most gas station- and restaurant owners just prefer to establish their services by an exit, which isn't hard to understand when you consider the low AADT on most stretches. It makes more sense to put the gas station by an exit, especially one for a fairly busy national road. That way you get customers from both directions of the motorway and the national road.

However, there are several rest stops out there with the layout you prefer, where you'll find gas stations and restaurants which are only accessible from the motorway. A few examples:

Herrbeta, south of Linköping
http://maps.google.se/maps?f=q&sourc...2,95.57,,0,4.6

Sillekrog, north of Nyköping
http://maps.google.se/maps?f=q&sourc...=12,65.74,,0,2

Stora Wäsby, north of Stockholm
http://maps.google.se/maps?f=q&sourc...12,3.68,,0,7.3

On the E6

Glumslöv, south of Helsingborg
http://maps.google.se/maps?f=q&sourc...160.85,,1,8.01

Laholm:
http://maps.google.se/maps?f=q&sourc...=12,23.29,,0,5

Sandsjöbacka, south of Gothenburg
http://maps.google.se/maps?f=q&sourc...,191.54,,0,2.1
kanterberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 07:21 PM   #816
Schweden
Registered Loser

I hardly knew these rest stops existed! Well, I think the big gas station chains would establish their services by this kind of rest stops, but Trafikverket doesnt even consider that thought. Maybe we'll see more of this in the future if the AADT is increasing.
Old January 14th, 2011, 09:19 PM   #817
kanterberg

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
I hardly knew these rest stops existed! Well, I think the big gas station chains would establish their services by this kind of rest stops, but Trafikverket doesnt even consider that thought. Maybe we'll see more of this in the future if the AADT is increasing.
In part it probably has do to with how Trafikverket signs for services along the motorways. The tradition in Sweden is that you'll see signs for gas stations, restaurants etc even if you have to exit the motorway to reach them. In many other countries, only services along the actual motorway would be signed. I may be wrong, but I suspect the only signs for gas stations along the UK motorways would be those found at a Motorway service area, or in Germany those found at a Autobahnraststätte.

In a sparsely populated country it might be better to be a bit more generous and give motorists directions also to services close to the motorway.

A good compromise are the rest stops with a restaurant that is accessible only from the motorway, but for both direction of travel.

Like Nyköpingsbro...

Or Gävlebro...
kanterberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 09:32 PM   #818
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

Germany also signs the "Autohof" which is a service station (often truck stop) located down the exit. This is the most common way of services in the United States as well. I kind of like it.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 03:28 PM   #819
Magnus Brage
Another RussianDatingScam

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanterberg View Post
Like Nyköpingsbro...

synd att dom tog bort flipperspelen på Nyköpingsbro...
Magnus Brage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 08:40 PM   #820
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

English please!

I miss the pinball machines there too.
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote