daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 21st, 2011, 08:53 PM   #841
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

Thanks for the nice videos Ingenioren. Goob job!
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2011, 09:19 PM   #842
Aphelion

Likes (Received): 20

E22 Bromölla-Sölvesborg
Entering the motorway at exit no. 45 and leaving it again at exit no. 44. This motorway (between exit no. 44 and just east of exit no. 47) was completed in 1995.

In other news, construction on two new stretches of motorway on the E22 in Scania has now started;

Hurva-Rolsberga:
Just west of the existing Rolsberga interchange (exit no. 26) a temporary bypass is being built. The current bridge over national road no. 23 will be replaced with a wider one.

Hörby-Linderöd: At Ekeröd a new interchange (future exit no. 32) is being built just north of the current E22. Parts of the current road will be used as the northbound exit ramp. Another interchange will be built at Hörby (future exit no. 31).

Later this year construction works on the new motorway between Sölve and Stensnäs in the province of Blekinge will start. It will contain one new interchange (future exit no. 48) where the E22 meets provincial road no. 121.

For more information, have a look at this page.

Last edited by Aphelion; March 21st, 2011 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Found a video ;-)
Aphelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 11:07 PM   #843
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

I don't think there are so many steam trains now over the motorways here in Europe. But in summer in Uppsala it's possible to see that. A museum railway are going over the E4 motorway in Uppsala. I think this looks beautiful.

Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 06:29 AM   #844
dj4life

Likes (Received): 48594

Hello, guys! I need some help in defending the Swedish roads in a national forum (i know, that sounds weird) Some of lithuanian forumers tend to proove that Swedish roads are very bad (l2+1 lanes and etc., like polish ones some 10 years ago or even like in Africa!). I mean, it really can't be true, but i lack of strong arguments to proove them wrong, since i don't travel by car very much. If you can, please, write me more about the roads in Sweden. Tack.
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #845
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4life View Post
Hello, guys! I need some help in defending the Swedish roads in a national forum (i know, that sounds weird) Some of lithuanian forumers tend to proove that Swedish roads are very bad (l2+1 lanes and etc., like polish ones some 10 years ago or even like in Africa!). I mean, it really can't be true, but i lack of strong arguments to proove them wrong, since i don't travel by car very much. If you can, please, write me more about the roads in Sweden. Tack.

Google street view has coverage of most of the Swedish roads, so I suggest those forumers to have a look themselves. The reason for the great number of 2+1 roads is 1.) Population distribution, essentially meaning most roads outside the three great urban areas (Stockholm, Göteborg, Malmö) doesn't have high enough traffic volumes to justify motorways.

2) Given that 2+1 roads can be made from already existing 13 meters wide 2-lane roads makes it a convenient way of getting a great amount of safe roads compared to only building motorways and regular 2-lane roads with nothing in between.

As far as pavement quality goes, yes there are spots that aren't perfect but generally I'd say you won't find many really bad parts. Also, you have to keep in mind that all Swedish roads are toll free, except for the Öresund bridge and Svinesund bridge (also, the "congestion tax" for driving in central Stockholm).

Finally, I find it very hard to believe that Polish (excluding motorways, due to many parts of the Polish network being recently constructed), and definitely not African roads are in better condition than Swedish ones.

Last edited by metasmurf; April 6th, 2011 at 02:49 PM.
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 05:52 PM   #846
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

The roads are not that bad. They are building out the motorway network more and more. Like Poland the motorway network is going to be better and better.

But E45 from Mora to Karesuando is a road with quite poor standard far away from motorway standard.
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 06:02 PM   #847
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

Main roads in Poland carry 15 000 - 25 000 vehicles per day. Main roads in central / northern Sweden carry 1 000 - 10 000 vehicles per day, somewhat more on E4, less in rural areas further north. There is no need for them to be motorways.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 01:19 AM   #848
dj4life

Likes (Received): 48594

Thank you, guys! I've already mentioned the low density of population and similar things. Anyway, it is just a group of students who travel through Sweden and bash every detail they dislike.
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 10:38 PM   #849
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Trelleborg:

Old May 18th, 2011, 05:15 PM   #850
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The EIA for the Stockholm Bypass has been approved. It will now be available to the public from May 30th to August 12th.

http://www.trafikverket.se/Privat/Pr...forutses-inte/
Old May 19th, 2011, 04:30 PM   #851
Aphelion

I updated my information page on current and planned road projects: Click here
Old May 19th, 2011, 04:33 PM   #852
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Nice work. Although the Stockholm Bypass is currently no road. I assume you mean the Essingeleden by 4+4, but I also assume Essingeleden will continue to exist once the Stockholm Bypass will be put into operation.
Old May 19th, 2011, 05:11 PM   #853
Aphelion

You are correct of course, Essingeleden just won't be designated E4 when replaced by "Förbifart Stockholm".

I hope updated AADT statistics will be released soon... New measurements were made in 2010.
Old May 19th, 2011, 06:07 PM   #854
Harry

Likes (Received): 0

Afternoon all.

I'm after a little info from some locals, if possible. We are visiting family in Linköping next week, having hired a car after landing at Arlanda. The journey looks straight forward enough (E4 pretty much all of the way), but I was wondering if anyone familiar with this route has any advice that I might find useful.

We will be leaving Arlanda mid-afternoon on Thursday. Should we expect any significant delays on the Stockholm stretch, for example, or does the motorway tend to flow freely? (All I really know about driving in Sweden at the moment is that you drive on the right and that I'll need to leave my headlights on. )

Many thanks in advance. Any advice much appreciated.
Harry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 06:24 PM   #855
Shifty2k5

Likes (Received): 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
Afternoon all.

I'm after a little info from some locals, if possible. We are visiting family in Linköping next week, having hired a car after landing at Arlanda. The journey looks straight forward enough (E4 pretty much all of the way), but I was wondering if anyone familiar with this route has any advice that I might find useful.

We will be leaving Arlanda mid-afternoon on Thursday. Should we expect any significant delays on the Stockholm stretch, for example, or does the motorway tend to flow freely? (All I really know about driving in Sweden at the moment is that you drive on the right and that I'll need to leave my headlights on. )

Many thanks in advance. Any advice much appreciated.
Traffic might be slow in Stockholm at that time of day, but don't expect any major delays. And the E4 is really the only realistic route for such a journey. Have a nice trip, it's a great drive, especially around Nyköping and Trosa, which is one of my favorite stretches of motorway in Sweden.
Shifty2k5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 06:54 PM   #856
Harry

Thanks Shifty. Looking forward to it.

Just one further question. Are there any service areas to use along the route? We have two small boys, so will almost certainly have to stop en route.
Old May 19th, 2011, 07:14 PM   #857
yako
Infidel

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
Thanks Shifty. Looking forward to it.

Just one further question. Are there any service areas to use along the route? We have two small boys, so will almost certainly have to stop en route.
Sure are! Should be every 15-20kms or so. Some are simple rest areas, others have services (petrol, food etc.) as well. Still, the drive is not that long, and apart from the bit through Stockholm should be mostly uneventful (i.e. quick!), you might be able to pull it off in one sitting should the boys behave...
yako no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 07:19 PM   #858
Harry

Excellent! Thanks guys.
Old May 19th, 2011, 07:20 PM   #859
yako
Infidel

Likes (Received): 7

Trafiken.nu still shows some congestion for a few km:s at the northern approaches to central Stockholm, but seeing as you just had time to post here you might not be behind the wheel yet. It could let up until the time you get down there.

EDIT: You're welcome, enjoy the drive!

Last edited by yako; May 19th, 2011 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Friendly words...
yako no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 08:45 PM   #860
Harry

It's actually next week we're travelling. But thanks for the link. I'll keep an eye on it.