daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 17th, 2011, 06:20 PM   #921
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durin View Post
I believe the motorway parts of E4 through Småland (Helsingborg-Jönköping) could easily handle higher speed limits with a few upgrades of crash-barriers and such. It carries little traffic and is for most of its' stretch straight as an airport runway. Many of the spankin' new Polish motorways carry on straight for miles through remote areas and dense forests (but with a 140 kph limit), just as the E4 does. Would be interesting to compare the accident record of these with the E4 once they've been in use for some time.
Also some parts of E4 from Nyköping to Södertälje and from Uppsala to Gävle can easily handle higher speed limits like 140 km/h.
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2011, 10:31 PM   #922
Schweden
Registered Loser

Likes (Received): 40

I think 130 km/h is the perfect speed limits for motorways. 140 is a bit too much.
Schweden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 01:11 AM   #923
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanterberg View Post
It's hard to compare US Interstates to European motorways. In the US you'll often see interstates without proper crash barriers and sometimes with just a grass median in the middle. Not to mention a traffic culture where undertaking is common, 16-year olds are allowed to drive and the legal limit is 0.08 in many states.

Road safety isn't all about speed limits, but I'm sure we can agree it is one of the aspects? Obviously median dividers between opposite-direction traffic is the most effective step to take for any country wishing to reduce accidents.

With median dividers you can even raise the speed limit, the Swedish 2+1 roads with a steel cable median divider is a great example: near-motorway road safety AND a raised speed limit!
A lot of states are installing the steel cable dividers in rural areas but so many areas do not have them. I do agree with you though! The state of Kansas just raised it's speed limits to 75/mph
Old August 19th, 2011, 03:51 PM   #924
Durin

Likes (Received): 0

I don't think this has been mentioned here before; but what's really the story with the Danish motorway signage on the E6 through through Laholm, Halmstad and Falkenberg in Halland? The signs feature Danish sign layout, size and font, including everything in lowercase. When and why was this implemented? Was it a local initiative or Vägverket doing a trial?

http://maps.google.se/maps?q=falkenb...2,13.31,,0,1.1
http://maps.google.se/maps?q=falkenb...,177.7,,0,-2.7

Looks good IMO, but what, are we going Danish nationally?
Old August 19th, 2011, 04:11 PM   #925
Morsue

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
I don't think this has been mentioned here before; but what's really the story with the Danish motorway signage on the E6 through through Laholm, Halmstad and Falkenberg in Halland? The signs feature Danish sign layout, size and font, including everything in lowercase. When and why was this implemented? Was it a local initiative or Vägverket doing a trial?

http://maps.google.se/maps?q=falkenb...2,13.31,,0,1.1
http://maps.google.se/maps?q=falkenb...,177.7,,0,-2.7

Looks good IMO, but what, are we going Danish nationally?
Halland was trial ground for the national exit numbering scheme. If I'm not mistaken, during the early days of that trial the signage looked even more like the Danish ones. But AFAIK Halland is the only place where the distance to the next exit is signposted.
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 04:41 PM   #926
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

It always strikes me how flimsy the gantries for overhead signage looks in Sweden. Don't you have any problems with them collapsing during winter storms?
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 04:59 PM   #927
Morsue

Likes (Received): 46

Wouldn't think so, at least I've never seen any. Also, I've always found them more aesthetic than the solid gantries found elsewhere.
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 05:00 PM   #928
Durin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It always strikes me how flimsy the gantries for overhead signage looks in Sweden. Don't you have any problems with them collapsing during winter storms?
Do you mean the truss type of gantries? Never heard of collapsing gantries being an issue over here. Truss structures are used in many places (electricity pylons, bridges...) and I suppose there's just as much structural integrity in truss gantries as in solid steel ones, the truss type also being light-weight.
Old August 19th, 2011, 10:56 PM   #929
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1820

Estonia uses truss type gantries as well. As Durin mentioned, it's lightweight but strong.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 11:37 PM   #930
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Yes, I saw a program on the Discovery Channel about this, which made the point that the Swedish are well advanced in making lightweight structures for on the motorway, which is actually a safety measure. Let's see, how can I put this...

If you crash into a streetlight in the UK at high speeds, you're likely to die. The streetlight will hardly have a scratch on it, but the car will have split in half, with you in it.
In Sweden, the streetlight will bounce forward, and then back, resulting in the car adjusting to the movement that the streetlight is making, enhancing your survival chances. This due to the lightweight structure. This applies to road signs as well.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2011, 12:00 AM   #931
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1820

This is probably getting a bit OT but speaking about lighting poles: the Estonian road construction standards mention 2 different types. One that deforms under impact and a second one that doesn't. The second one can only be used when it's separated from the highway by a crash barrier.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2011, 10:55 AM   #932
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Yes, I saw a program on the Discovery Channel about this, which made the point that the Swedish are well advanced in making lightweight structures for on the motorway, which is actually a safety measure. Let's see, how can I put this...

If you crash into a streetlight in the UK at high speeds, you're likely to die. The streetlight will hardly have a scratch on it, but the car will have split in half, with you in it.
In Sweden, the streetlight will bounce forward, and then back, resulting in the car adjusting to the movement that the streetlight is making, enhancing your survival chances. This due to the lightweight structure. This applies to road signs as well.
There is an European Standard EN 12899 (Passive safety of support structures for road equipment – Requirements and test methods) dealing with the collision safety. The standard makes the classification in three dimensions: collision speed, energy absorbency, and person impact (1-worst,3-best). For example, a class 100;NE;3 structure is non-energy-absorbing, and the person injury risk is low at speeds up to 100 kph.

It is up to the local road authorities to decide if the road furniture must be standard-conforming.

The Scandinavian countries have implemented rather similar policies on the passive safety. In Finland, for instance, all new direction sings must conform to the certain classes of EN 12899 if the AADT is 15000 or higher and the speed limit is 50 kph or higher. If this is not possible because of technical reasons (like the sign being to big to be carried by collision-safe structures), then the sign must be positioned behind a fence, or far away from the road.

Lattix pole (Norwegian make), aluminium truss. Deforms at collision.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 01:40 AM   #933
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

The new E4 stretch between Enånger and Hudiksvall will open on October the 5th. 22km will be 2+2 without shoulders, and 2km will be 2+1. If the 22km long 2+2 road will be signposted as motorway despite the lack of shoulders as the stretch Söderhamn - Enånger remains to be seen.

Last edited by metasmurf; September 1st, 2011 at 01:52 AM.
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 01:37 PM   #934
rarse

Likes (Received): 1

Nice news but too bad for no hard shoulders.

Anyway those stretches have 7000-8500 AADT, except the Hudiksvall - Iggesund (11.100).
rarse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 01:44 AM   #935
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarse View Post
Nice news but too bad for no hard shoulders.

Anyway those stretches have 7000-8500 AADT, except the Hudiksvall - Iggesund (11.100).
Most new motorways in Sweden have very narrow hard shoulders or sometimes there are no hard shoulders on them.
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 11:38 AM   #936
Durin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post
Most new motorways in Sweden have very narrow hard shoulders or sometimes there are no hard shoulders on them.
Not many countries would declare a new build completely lacking shoulders a motorway though. This stretch should really be classified as expressway (motortrafikled) and not as motorway.
Old September 2nd, 2011, 03:01 PM   #937
Nikolaj

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Not many countries would declare a new build completely lacking shoulders a motorway though. This stretch should really be classified as expressway (motortrafikled) and not as motorway.
I had the experience this summer to try some of the new stretches of "socalled" motorway on E6 between Gothenburg and the Norwegian border.

A bit scary experience. Especially passing one of the big 60 tonnes and 25 m trucks allowed in Scandinavia on a 18,5 m motorway: No hard shoulders (and on bridges no shoulder at all) and 3,25 m lanes. In other countries this would not be clssified as a motorway, but admitted the amount of traffic is very low - AADT of 7000-8000 as far as I remember.
Nikolaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 03:40 PM   #938
Shifty2k5

Likes (Received): 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post
I had the experience this summer to try some of the new stretches of "socalled" motorway on E6 between Gothenburg and the Norwegian border.

A bit scary experience. Especially passing one of the big 60 tonnes and 25 m trucks allowed in Scandinavia on a 18,5 m motorway: No hard shoulders (and on bridges no shoulder at all) and 3,25 m lanes. In other countries this would not be clssified as a motorway, but admitted the amount of traffic is very low - AADT of 7000-8000 as far as I remember.
I thought they added shoulders to all E6/Bohuslän sections?
Shifty2k5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 03:52 PM   #939
Nikolaj

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty2k5 View Post
I thought they added shoulders to all E6/Bohuslän sections?
The width of the lanes and the width and/or existence of hard shoulders changed from section to section. It was the impression that the newer the section was the narrower.
Nikolaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 04:57 PM   #940
Schweden
Registered Loser

Likes (Received): 40

A typical motorway in Sweden
Schweden no está en línea   Reply With Quote