daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 2nd, 2011, 09:16 PM   #941
rarse

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweden View Post

But on the other hand, there is low AADT.
rarse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2011, 02:45 AM   #942
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 927

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post
I had the experience this summer to try some of the new stretches of "socalled" motorway on E6 between Gothenburg and the Norwegian border.

A bit scary experience. Especially passing one of the big 60 tonnes and 25 m trucks allowed in Scandinavia on a 18,5 m motorway: No hard shoulders (and on bridges no shoulder at all) and 3,25 m lanes. In other countries this would not be clssified as a motorway, but admitted the amount of traffic is very low - AADT of 7000-8000 as far as I remember.
And don't forget all bumps you encounter. They've done a bad job with foundations on this road!

Here you can actually see the road has sunk: http://maps.google.no/?ll=59.047265,...16.88,,0,10.06

Take a look at my Photo Mess!
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2011, 03:59 AM   #943
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

What do you expect? Strömstad is practically Norwegian (again) ....

Last edited by 54°26′S 3°24′E; September 3rd, 2011 at 01:53 PM.
54°26′S 3°24′E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2011, 01:45 PM   #944
Durin

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Surely not! Only motorways in the periphery of Sweden look like that.

On the other hand, although many of the motorways of the 2000's are narrow and cheaply built and really should have been declared expressways, they are however free of charge.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 04:42 PM   #945
kanterberg

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durin View Post
Surely not! Only motorways in the periphery of Sweden look like that.

On the other hand, although many of the motorways of the 2000's are narrow and cheaply built and really should have been declared expressways, they are however free of charge.
Here's an old post of mine from a trip on one of the newer motorways built with narrow shoulders and median - the E18 in Örebro towards Oslo.

The AADT here is actually a bit higher than the sections discussed previously: around 15 000.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=#post62318843

kanterberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2011, 06:39 PM   #946
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Today it's 44 years ago dagen H occurred, when Sweden switched from driving on the left to driving on the right.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2011, 09:32 PM   #947
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Wonder how well that went.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 09:34 PM   #948
rarse

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanterberg View Post
Here's an old post of mine from a trip on one of the newer motorways built with narrow shoulders and median - the E18 in Örebro towards Oslo.

This looks pretty bad. So drivers on the right lane who take that exit and know what it is like probably drive much slower.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 10:33 PM   #949
Schweden
Registered Loser

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf View Post
Wonder how well that went.
Not that well

Schweden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 01:19 AM   #950
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarse View Post
This looks pretty bad. So drivers on the right lane who take that exit and know what it is like probably drive much slower.
Thats right! Many junctions in Sweden are quite dangerous. You must slow down before you get to the junction. If you don't slow down before it you can crash.
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 01:45 AM   #951
rarse

In situations like this, there should be some sign with warring / speed limit on the right lane and "plan" / map of the ramp, for those who do not know this is "non-motorway" exit.
Old September 4th, 2011, 10:06 AM   #952
Uppsala

Quote:
In situations like this, there should be some sign with warring / speed limit on the right lane and "plan" / map of the ramp, for those who do not know this is "non-motorway" exit.
I agree with that. And the strange thing is they are still building junctions like this. Some of the most new motorways in Sweden have junctions like this.
Old September 4th, 2011, 10:57 AM   #953
Morsue

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Not that well

The strange thing as far as I understand is that cars that were made for the Swedish market actually had left-hand drive. Imagine all cars in Britain having the driver sitting on the left. What a mess.
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 12:05 PM   #954
kalle_sg

Likes (Received): 2236

Quote:
Not that well
Not that bad either. There were less accidents on the following day than there usually had been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsue View Post
The strange thing as far as I understand is that cars that were made for the Swedish market actually had left-hand drive.
Actually, most of the cars in Sweden back then were adjusted to the right-hand traffic. That was one of the reasons behind the switch.

If anyone's interested, there's an article on the English wikipedia (not to mention the Swedish one, of course): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagen_H
kalle_sg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 12:05 AM   #955
kanterberg

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post
Thats right! Many junctions in Sweden are quite dangerous. You must slow down before you get to the junction. If you don't slow down before it you can crash.
I can't say I agree. Yes, exits with this type of layout are obviously not built for very high speeds, but on the other hand they usually lead to a straight and longer than normal slip road. That means you can easily exit the motorway at normal motorway speed and slow down safely on the slip road. This is especially true on stretches with a speed limit of 110km/h or less.

Sure, I prefer a normal exit lane, but as long as you keep to the speed limit they certainly are not dangerous. And they're quite common all over Scandinavia, it's not a unique Swedish design.
kanterberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 01:00 AM   #956
Shifty2k5

Likes (Received): 157

Quote:
No, student drivers are taught not to slow down until you're on the actual ramp. Slowing down on the motorway would be stupid.
Shifty2k5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 01:08 AM   #957
rarse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty2k5 View Post
No, student drivers are taught not to slow down until you're on the actual ramp. Slowing down on the motorway would be stupid.
Off course they are. But that's the theory.

Off course if one knows what is the ramp in front of him like, he might drive as kanterberg described.

But if one doesn't know it... Then maybe the theory above changes...
Old September 5th, 2011, 01:15 AM   #958
rarse

Quote:
Yes, exits with this type of layout are obviously not built for very high speeds, but on the other hand they usually lead to a straight and longer than normal slip road. That means you can easily exit the motorway at normal motorway speed and slow down safely on the slip road.
If all ramps like this, without the braking lane, are designed to "drive-in" with 110 km per hour then I suppose that is not such a massive problem.
Old September 5th, 2011, 03:26 PM   #959
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Today it's 44 years ago dagen H occurred, when Sweden switched from driving on the left to driving on the right.
Still, before 1967 few or no cars in Sweden were right hand drive like in England and Japan. Why ?
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 04:57 PM   #960
Uppsala

Quote:
I can't say I agree. Yes, exits with this type of layout are obviously not built for very high speeds, but on the other hand they usually lead to a straight and longer than normal slip road. That means you can easily exit the motorway at normal motorway speed and slow down safely on the slip road. This is especially true on stretches with a speed limit of 110km/h or less.

Sure, I prefer a normal exit lane, but as long as you keep to the speed limit they certainly are not dangerous. And they're quite common all over Scandinavia, it's not a unique Swedish design.

I don't think this is a Scandinavian version, you can see this in other countries too, but very few.

I think they can be very dangerous. Because the junctions are not built for going in around 110-130 km/h. You must very often slow down at the motorway before you go to the junction. And people can miss that and that can be dangerous. It's not so very much more expensive to bouild junctions with a braking lane. And it's much more safe with the breaking lane. So it's only stupid and dangerous to build a motorway without the braking lane.