daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 10th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #981
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malmö | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweden View Post
IIRC, it will be re-built to 3+3 soon? Or maybe they have already begun?
They have been talking about since about when I was born (mid 80s).

Not sure what's actually going now though as I don't live in Sweden anymore.

Sponsored Links
Old September 10th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #982
kanterberg

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Thanks for the report The tunnels look nice. They could've made an open-cut but it looks better this way.
I guess wildlife passage was the main reason for doing it this way, but it sure looks nice too.
kanterberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2011, 11:26 PM   #983
Aphelion

Likes (Received): 20

Page 2 in this PDF document shows the two currently used types of cross-sections for rural motorways: http://www.trafikverket.se/TrvSeFile...5_vagtyper.pdf

For the soon finished motorway on the E6 from Vellinge southwards to Maglarp (just north of Trelleborg), this cross-section will be used: http://www.trafikverket.se/PageFiles...g_Vellinge.pdf.
The wider shoulder is probably due to the high truck share - Trelleborg is a major port towards continental Europe.
Aphelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 05:45 AM   #984
Trilesy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanterberg View Post
E18 Sagån - Enköping

I like the general color scheme on Swedish signs. They look fresh and appealing.

The pavement looks nice, but not as good as some other 1 year-old highways. I'm assuming they might be using a special, more durable type of asphalt (considering harsh winters in Sweden).

Last edited by Trilesy; September 11th, 2011 at 09:26 AM.
Trilesy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 03:04 PM   #985
Durin

Great photos kanterberg. This part really needed the upgrade. When I lived in the area, I remember that the old route, especially before it was converted to 2+1 some 10 years ago or so, was a major bottleneck and a major trucking route. If I remember correctly it did include one of these old cold war-era landing strips which was really the only place where you could safely overtake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilesy View Post
The pavement looks nice, but not as good as some other 1 year-old highways. I'm assuming they might be using a special, more durable type of asphalt (considering harsh winters in Sweden).
That's what new asphalt looks like in Sweden after its first winter, as the use of studded snow tyres is very common over here.

Last edited by Durin; September 12th, 2011 at 10:54 PM.
Durin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 08:38 PM   #986
Trilesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durin View Post
That's what new asphalt looks like in Sweden after its first winter, as the use of studded snow tyres is very common over here.
Now that makes sense. I forgot about the existence of studded tires. I hope they don't use these.

Just kidding...
Trilesy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 09:08 PM   #987
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

DO WANT!!!!
Old September 14th, 2011, 10:52 PM   #988
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Today it's 58 years ago the first motorway "autostrada" of Sweden opened between Malmö and Lund, currently known as E22. It was indeed the first motorway in all of Scandinavia...
Don't forget the Sweden's first "motorway", built in the late 40's between Gothenburg and Alingsås (todays E20). The ramps are tight and short, and there are also at-grade crossings. Also noticeable is the bad curvature, nowhere near todays motorway standards. Some of the stretch has already been rebuilt to real motorway, while the rest is under way.

Map: http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Bj...sz=12&t=m&z=12
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 08:45 PM   #989
kanterberg

The state budget for 2012 was presented to Parliament yesterday and with it came some interesting road-related news. It turns out the first real "payment" to the Stockholm region from the congestion charge surplus will be made next year. The government has earmarked 1,234 billion SEK (≈ 135 million) for 2012 and roughly 1 billion yearly for the coming three years, for infrastructure projects in the Stockholm region. The surplus from the congestion charge will not affect the amounts for regular state infrastructure funding in the region, according to the budget.

I imagine most of it will be used for the Stockholm bypass, but the widening of the E4 north of Stockholm to 4X4 lanes is also said to be paid for by "congestion charge surplus" money.
Old September 21st, 2011, 10:16 PM   #990
Schweden
Registered Loser

Likes (Received): 40

Great news. Hopefully the congestion charge in Gothenburg will lead to similar projects... Like connecting Gothenburg and Stockholm with a motorway.
Schweden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2011, 12:15 AM   #991
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 927

Quote:
The state budget for 2012 was presented to Parliament yesterday and with it came some interesting road-related news. It turns out the first real "payment" to the Stockholm region from the congestion charge surplus will be made next year. The government has earmarked 1,234 billion SEK (≈ 135 million) for 2012 and roughly 1 billion yearly for the coming three years, for infrastructure projects in the Stockholm region. The surplus from the congestion charge will not affect the amounts for regular state infrastructure funding in the region, according to the budget.

I imagine most of it will be used for the Stockholm bypass, but the widening of the E4 north of Stockholm to 4X4 lanes is also said to be paid for by "congestion charge surplus" money.
The state is behind the Stockholm congestion charge? Isn't that a local matter?!

Take a look at my Photo Mess!
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2011, 12:29 AM   #992
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 585

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweden View Post
Great news. Hopefully the congestion charge in Gothenburg will lead to similar projects... Like connecting Gothenburg and Stockholm with a motorway.
That isn't exactly a simular project. Frankly i think Göteborg needs a bypass just as much as Stockholm...
Old September 24th, 2011, 08:56 AM   #993
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCheese View Post
The state is behind the Stockholm congestion charge? Isn't that a local matter?!
It is not a local matter, but a state initiative, yes. In fact, its official name is not a charge but a tax. Thus, if you drive in the Stockholm downtown, a new road might be built elsewhere.

Even the positions of the toll gates are listed in the respective law agreed by the parliament. That has turned an obstacle against setting up a car ferry connection between Nacka and Frihamnen, as it would require a new toll gate at Frihamnenn. That would need a change to the law.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2011, 12:20 PM   #994
rarse

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
i think Göteborg needs a bypass just as much as Stockholm...
You mean on the eastern side?
rarse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2011, 10:38 PM   #995
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 585

Aubviously
Old September 26th, 2011, 03:46 AM   #996
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by metasmurf View Post
Don't forget the Sweden's first "motorway", built in the late 40's between Gothenburg and Alingsås (todays E20). The ramps are tight and short, and there are also at-grade crossings. Also noticeable is the bad curvature, nowhere near todays motorway standards.
But that was back when speeds were generally a lot lower and the definition of "motorway" was much different than today.
Old September 26th, 2011, 10:02 AM   #997
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf View Post
But that was back when speeds were generally a lot lower and the definition of "motorway" was much different than today.
The first motorway in Sweden opened in 1953, Lund-Malmö.

That is rather late compared to Germany where their first motorway was inaugurated already in 1932.

But as you write no regular car would probably go faster than about 70-80 km/h those days, so the tag motorway could be discussed, still the earliest motorways may have looked like the motorways of today.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2011, 12:49 PM   #998
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
The first motorway in Sweden opened in 1953, Lund-Malmö.

That is rather late compared to Germany where their first motorway was inaugurated already in 1932.

But as you write no regular car would probably go faster than about 70-80 km/h those days, so the tag motorway could be discussed, still the earliest motorways may have looked like the motorways of today.
The motorway from Malmö to Lund was the first official motorway. But E20 (former Riksväg 6) from Göteborg to Alingsås is older. That was built in 1940s and it was not a real motorway but it looked like a motorway.

Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2011, 09:18 PM   #999
kanterberg

There is a very simple reason for this very complicated situation: the courts ruled that the charge was in fact a tax, and the way the Swedish tax code works a municipality can only levy taxes on its own citizens. Therefore, the only way the charge could be introduced was if the central government did it, which it did: congestion tax (trängselskatt).

However, and this is kind of important: there has always been political consensus that the surplus will be reserved for investments in the Stockholm region. At first, the funds were earmarked for both road and public transport investments, after the centre-right government came into power in 2006 that was changed to investments in road projects only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
It is not a local matter, but a state initiative, yes. In fact, its official name is not a charge but a tax. Thus, if you drive in the Stockholm downtown, a new road might be built elsewhere.
I don't know exactly what you mean by that, but if your point is that the money could go to just about any new road in the whole country, that is clearly wrong.
Old September 27th, 2011, 03:57 PM   #1000
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
I don't know exactly what you mean by that, but if your point is that the money could go to just about any new road in the whole country, that is clearly wrong.
No, I did not say that. "Elsewhere" means rather a large region around Stockholm. For example, the motorway upgrade works on E4/E20 between Hallunda and Södertälje are funded by the congestion tax. Thus, the congestion tax is used to enable more vehicles to approach the congested area. :-)
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote