daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 27th, 2011, 04:32 PM   #1001
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

The upgrade works on E4/E20 between Hallunda and Södertälje are so good. They are rebuilding a motorway from 2+2 to 3+3. But before that works it was a hard shoulder on it. Now its no hard shoulder there anymore. Typical for Sweden so have motorways without hard shoulders.
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 27th, 2011, 05:50 PM   #1002
kanterberg

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post

The upgrade works on E4/E20 between Hallunda and Södertälje are so good. They are rebuilding a motorway from 2+2 to 3+3. But before that works it was a hard shoulder on it. Now its no hard shoulder there anymore. Typical for Sweden so have motorways without hard shoulders.

Today and tomorrow... (photo: Trafikverket)

This is indeed a much needed upgrade, the AADT is already over 70 000 and expected to reach 100 000 by 2020 IIRC.

There's a feasibility study on building a completely new road to the west of the current E4. The metro region is expected to grow by half a million people in the next 30 years, so there is little doubt that a new road will eventually be built. I guess that also explains the narrow shoulders, they want to spend as little money as possible on the upgrade of the current road corridor.

I would've preferred standard shoulders as well, but this solution makes sense from a cost benefit perspective. At least if that new road is built within the next 10-15 years.

When this project is finished this section will also feature the motorway information system. It will also increase the length of Sweden's longest 2x3-section of motorway from 46 to 57 kms.
kanterberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 05:48 AM   #1003
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 919

That doesn't look very safe. Why not just blow away some of the rock?

Take a look at my Photo Mess!
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 11:28 AM   #1004
kalle_sg

Likes (Received): 2185

Money, money, money. This is exactly what kanterberg wrote about:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanterberg View Post
There's a feasibility study on building a completely new road to the west of the current E4. The metro region is expected to grow by half a million people in the next 30 years, so there is little doubt that a new road will eventually be built. I guess that also explains the narrow shoulders, they want to spend as little money as possible on the upgrade of the current road corridor.
BTW, are there any new motorways to be built with a broad middle section, like the one on E4 Uppsala - Arlanda?
kalle_sg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 01:25 PM   #1005
Uppsala

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalle_sg View Post
Money, money, money. This is exactly what kanterberg wrote about:
Yes its about money and it should cost much more money if they blow away some of the rock. So they make the barrier more narrow instead and take of the hard shoulders. But I agree with IceCheese. The road is not so very safe now without the hard shoulders. I think is typical for Sweden now to have motorway without hard shoulders or very narrow hard shoulders.

Quote:
BTW, are there any new motorways to be built with a broad middle section, like the one on E4 Uppsala - Arlanda?
Yes, the barrier from Uppsala to Arlanda is very wide. I think that the beauty of that motorway.

I dont know what you means is new or old motorways. The motorway from Uppsala to Arlanda opened in October 1972 so that part is not new now.

But there are not so many motorways in Sweden with wide barriers in the middle like that. But some parts of the E4 from Uppsala to Gävle looks similar. And the part from Uppsala to Mehedeby opened in 2006 and 2007 in two stages.

E4 from Nyköping to Stavsjö have also very wide barrier and looks the same.

One part of E18 from Enköping to Bålsta have very wide barrier like this. In one part of it there are even houses in the barrier.

And last but not least E20 around Malmo to the Öresund bridge to Denmark. That part have a very wide barrier and the part near the bridge have the railway from Malmö to Copenhagen in the barrier in the middle of the motorway. This is the only motorway in Sweden with a railway in the middle. And there is even a railway station called Svågertorp in the middle of the motorway.
Old September 28th, 2011, 04:15 PM   #1006
Aphelion

Likes (Received): 20

E18 between Örebro and Köping has a wide central reservation as well. It opened to traffic in 2000.
Aphelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #1007
kalle_sg

Likes (Received): 2185

Yup, I know about these. I meant those which don't exist yet. Are any such stretches going to be built? I like those wide middle sections too.
kalle_sg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 05:01 PM   #1008
Aphelion

Not very likely. Most new rural motorways are built with a width of either 18,5 or 21,5 metres, and in urban settings, space is precious.
Old September 29th, 2011, 12:45 AM   #1009
Uppsala

Quote:
Yup, I know about these. I meant those which don't exist yet. Are any such stretches going to be built? I like those wide middle sections too.
I had not heard about any plans about that. Most of the new motorways they are building now are going to have normal barriers in the middle.
Old September 29th, 2011, 02:43 AM   #1010
Uppsala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlis View Post
There is not breaking lane parralell to the motorway you brake on the offramp. Its not the road thats at fault but peoples behavior.

Motorways in rural areas dont need to be extremely wide, thats just a waste of money. Spend the infrastructure money where its needed instead, in the cities.
They say you should brake at the offramp, but sometimes it's dangerous to wait and the brake when you are at the offramp. Sometimes you must brake at the motorway before you go to the offramp. So thats why many junctions in Sweden are dangerous. They need a braking lane. They just building motorways like this because its cheaper, but they are more dangerous.
Old September 29th, 2011, 10:16 AM   #1011
Aphelion

Two proper exits can be found on the E22 bypass of Bromölla and Sölvesborg: http://is.gd/vkCR3K and http://is.gd/gFR8wL
Old September 29th, 2011, 12:22 PM   #1012
Uppsala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphelion View Post
Two proper exits can be found on the E22 bypass of Bromölla and Sölvesborg: http://is.gd/vkCR3K and http://is.gd/gFR8wL
There are some more proper junctions in Sweden. Like the junctions in Uppsala. Look here http://maps.google.se/?ll=59.83934,1...,10.81,,0,2.89

That junctions are very good. But the problem is that Sweden have to many bad junctions too.
Old October 5th, 2011, 08:50 AM   #1013
Aphelion

Today a new stretch of motorway on the E4 between Enånger and Hudiksvall opens: http://www.trafikverket.se/PageFiles...rtaE4Hudik.pdf
Old October 5th, 2011, 10:53 AM   #1014
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19358

Great

Meanwhile on E6 near Göteborg...

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2011, 01:21 PM   #1015
kanterberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post

Meanwhile on E6 near Göteborg...
They expect the E6 northbound to be closed for traffic until Friday (!), southbound is expected to be opened later today. With an AADT of 35 000 I imagine it'll be a nightmare for commuters.

Old October 5th, 2011, 01:23 PM   #1016
kanterberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphelion View Post
Today a new stretch of motorway on the E4 between Enånger and Hudiksvall opens: http://www.trafikverket.se/PageFiles...rtaE4Hudik.pdf
Great news, but it's not going to be signed as a motorway, is it? I thought it was a four lane highway (fyrfältsväg)?
Sure looks like it:

Old October 5th, 2011, 01:35 PM   #1017
Aphelion

The older section south of this one is signed as motorway even though it doesn't have proper on/off-ramps: http://maps.google.se/?ll=61.298376,...46.16,,0,15.22
Old October 5th, 2011, 01:35 PM   #1018
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19358

Quote:
They expect the E6 northbound to be closed for traffic until Friday (!), southbound is expected to be opened later today. With an AADT of 35 000 I imagine it'll be a nightmare for commuters.
Coincidentally we had a similar accident today in the Netherlands, but this motorway has an AADT of 70 000...

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2011, 01:46 PM   #1019
Uppsala

Quote:
Great news, but it's not going to be signed as a motorway, is it? I thought it was a four lane highway (fyrfältsväg)?
Sure looks like it:

I'm not sure. But I heard it's going to be signed as a motorway. And the older part is signed as a motorway so that's the most logic thing with this new road.
Old October 5th, 2011, 05:56 PM   #1020
Aphelion

News clip about the new E4 alignment: http://svtplay.se/v/2556418/nya_e4_invigs_idag