daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 29th, 2011, 08:28 PM   #1101
Attii

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by metasmurf View Post
We're drawing at the end of this year, so let's see what will happen 2012 in terms of new motorways.

E6

Knäm - Lugnet (6km, 18,5m)
Skee - Ejgst (3km, 18,5m)

E20

Ingared - Alingsås (10km, 21,5m)

E22

Hurva - Rolsberga (5,5km, 18,5m)
Hörby N - Linderöd (10km, 18,5m)

E45

Göteborg- Älvängen (30km, 21,5m)
Älvängen- Trollhättan (40km, 18,5m)

= 104,5km of new motorways
so the majority is 18,5m wide which is to say NO emergency line - should rather be defined as motortrafikled - anyways better than before
Attii no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 29th, 2011, 09:18 PM   #1102
Aphelion

Likes (Received): 20

These widths are the most frequently used ones on new motorways:

18,5 m (example here -> http://is.gd/Sd1WWE):
3,25 m lanes + 2 m hard shoulders + 1,5 m central reservation

21,5 m:
3,5 m lanes + 2 m right hard shoulder + 0,5 m left shoulder + 2,5 m central reservation

Future motorway sections of the E22 in Blekinge county will get this configuration:
19,5 m:
3,5 m right lane + 3,25 m left lane + 2 m hard shoulders + 2 m central reservation
Aphelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2012, 05:58 PM   #1103
devo

Likes (Received): 41

What a complete mess of standards. I thought Norway was insane with it's different shoulder width according to the ammount of traffic. Oh well. When will we have ISO9001 roads? :P
devo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 05:12 AM   #1104
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by häggblom View Post

]
I think this picture must be from 1967 or maybe 1968.

Lovely picture!

Look at the old beautiful SOX-lights on the motorway. That was so typical for motorways in Sweden in that time. That was the real feeling of motorways in Sweden from 1960s until 1980s.
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 05:41 PM   #1105
kanterberg

Likes (Received): 4

The preliminary 2011-figures for traffic safety in Sweden were released by the Traffic Authority yesterday:

All in all, there were 314 (294 men and 75 women) fatalities on the roads in 2011, up from 290 the year before. Still, Sweden remains one of the safest countries on earth for road travel. The preliminary figures show 3,3 deaths per 100 000 inhabitants.

Highlights from the report:

- Alarmingly, the largest increase of fatalities were among pedestrians: 51 in 2011, up from 31 in 2010.

- Single-vehicle accidents is the most common fatal accident, all together they accounted for 94 fatalities.

- It is statistically four times as dangerous to drive on a road without a median divider compared to 2+1-roads and motorways.

- Fewer people are speeding than ever before.

- The percentage of people who use seat belts and bicycle helmets are the highest ever. 97% of all drivers use their seat belts, 32% of all bicyclists use a helmet.

- The major safety improvements the coming 10 years will most likely come from people replacing old cars, not road engineering.

Safest countries for road travel in 2010 - deaths per 100 000, according to the European Commission and IRTAD.

1. Sweden - 2,8
2. United Kingdom - 3,1
3. The Netherlands - 3,3
4. Malta - 3,6
4. Norway - 4,3
5. Japan - 4,5
6. Germany - 4,5
7. Ireland - 4,5
8. Denmark - 4,8
9. Finland - 5,1
10. Slovakia - 5,3
11. Spain - 5,4
12. Australia - 6,1
EU-average: 6,2
13. France - 6,2
14. Luxembourg - 6,4
15. Austria - 6,6
16. Italy - 6,6
17. Slovenia - 6,8
18. Hungary - 7,4
19. Cyprus - 7,5
20. Czech Republic - 7,5
21. Belgium - 7,6
22. Portugal - 7,9
23. New Zeeland - 8,6
24. Estonia - 8,8
25. Lithuania - 9,0
26. Latvia - 9,7
27. Bulgaria - 10,2
28. Poland - 10,2
29. United States - 10,6
30. Romania - 11,1
31. Greece - 11,6
kanterberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 07:49 PM   #1106
kalle_sg

Likes (Received): 2236

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanterberg View Post
All in all, there were 314 (294 men and 75 women)
Now that's interesting
kalle_sg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 07:55 PM   #1107
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Driving is still a typical male job, especially for a profession, but also for private transportation. Not to mention younger people (below 25) which are often males involved in fatal accidents. Typical macho behavior exists everywhere.

The rise in traffic fatalities however, is not really unexpected. You can see the drop is bottoming out, I also think it will happen to the Netherlands and the UK sooner or later. Zero vision sounds nice, but is unrealistic.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 08:27 PM   #1108
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 129

99% of problems I encounter on the roads are with women drivers. period.
From them throwing fits if you get in front of them, tailgating, to giving the finger.
Does this exist for Sweden as well?
Old January 3rd, 2012, 08:28 PM   #1109
kalle_sg

Likes (Received): 2236

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Driving is still a typical male job, especially for a profession, but also for private transportation. Not to mention younger people (below 25) which are often males involved in fatal accidents. Typical macho behavior exists everywhere.
That's not what I meant. I never had a special interest for numbers but however I count 294 men plus 75 women don't add up to 314 in total.
kalle_sg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 10:12 PM   #1110
kanterberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScraperDude View Post
99% of problems I encounter on the roads are with women drivers. period.
From them throwing fits if you get in front of them, tailgating, to giving the finger.
Does this exist for Sweden as well?
It's actually interesting to discuss driving from a gender perspective. You could argue that men, in general, are technically better drivers. They are better when it comes to recovering from tricky situations. Women, however, don't seem to get themselves into those tricky situations and therefore, you could argue, are safer drivers. At least that's what the statistics tell us.

And sorry for giving the wrong info, I got it from a newspaper. The original report from the Traffic Authority states 239 men and 75 women.
Old January 4th, 2012, 03:31 PM   #1111
Schweden
Registered Loser

Likes (Received): 40

I wish we could stop prioritize safety for a while (2 +1 roads) and instead focus on motorways (which is safer anyway).
Schweden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2012, 10:07 PM   #1112
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

Are they tough? Considering you will get more kilometers of 2+1 roads per invested krone...
Old January 4th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #1113
jeremiash

Likes (Received): 74

I think the real issue isn't construction cost or safety for that matter (you can't say that 2+1 roads are significantly less safe than motorways, since opposite directions are mostly separated by barriers which makes the risk of head-on collisions almost non-existent), I think the decision is based mostly on traffic counts. I would be very much interested in exact traffic count numbers for sweden, but my guess is in most cases a 2+1 road is sufficient to ensure free traffic flow. And it's not exactly particularly difficult to upgrade a 2+1 road to a motorway.
jeremiash no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2012, 11:52 PM   #1114
Schweden
Registered Loser

Likes (Received): 40

The problem is that very important stretches are build as 2+1 roads instead of motorways. And then there's no motorway built for another 20 years because 2+1 roads are safe anyway.

For example, E18 between Karlskoga and Lekhyttan was rebuilt as a 2+1 road. The road was not wide enough for an easy construction, so it costed quite some money. This was built even though Trafikverket states that this stretch should indeed be a motorway in the future. See the problem?
Schweden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012, 12:44 AM   #1115
jeremiash

Likes (Received): 74

In this case I actually don't. Don't you think that very much depends on whether that motorway will be needed in 5, 15 or 25 years? Let's take that stretch of E18 for example. According to data I found here the AADT on the stretch is 9000 +/- 10%. That gives us 8000-10000. Now this document states that motorway construction is automatically considered when the AADT on a stretch reaches 12000. That is still pretty low if you ask me. If you take into consideration that the traffic would have to increase by about 30% to reach that number, and would almost have to double to make motorway construction urgent, don't you feel that it's better to have a 2+1 road now instead of having to wait 10-15 years (my guess) for a motorway to even begin being considered/built? I guess the rate of AADT growth made it clear that a solution for "now" will serve it's purpose for a long enough time to make it viable.
jeremiash no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012, 12:02 PM   #1116
kanterberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiash View Post
In this case I actually don't. Don't you think that very much depends on whether that motorway will be needed in 5, 15 or 25 years? Let's take that stretch of E18 for example. According to data I found here the AADT on the stretch is 9000 +/- 10%. That gives us 8000-10000. Now this document states that motorway construction is automatically considered when the AADT on a stretch reaches 12000. That is still pretty low if you ask me. If you take into consideration that the traffic would have to increase by about 30% to reach that number, and would almost have to double to make motorway construction urgent, don't you feel that it's better to have a 2+1 road now instead of having to wait 10-15 years (my guess) for a motorway to even begin being considered/built? I guess the rate of AADT growth made it clear that a solution for "now" will serve it's purpose for a long enough time to make it viable.
I agree, in general it's hard to argue that 2+1 roads (with a barrier) are being built instead of motorways. The vast majority of 2+1 roads have been constructed on stretches where motorway standards is not called for. We have IIRC something like 1000+ kms of 2+1 roads now and it has been a safety revolution, on many of those stretches we've gone from several fatalities every year to none!

And so far I can't see that it has meant less motorways. They've just announced that the gaps on E18 around Köping and Västerås will be filled, just to use E18 as an example. The AADT there is just above 12000, which means we're still following the guidelines. There's another list a little further up in this thread with other examples.
Old January 5th, 2012, 12:22 PM   #1117
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

I think they should have gone for a 16,5m 2+2 instead of 2+1 while they were at it, given that the price of a 2+2 in relation to 2+1 isn't that much higher when they had to widen the road anyway.
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2012, 02:12 AM   #1118
häggblom

Likes (Received): 20

Two pics taken by myself just a few week´s after the oppening of the new E4 south of Hudiksvall.
A real nice scenic road to drive on and not much traffic.
And as you can see the on/off ramps are with full lenght exit lanes so no worry there. I don´t think many new road projects will have those sharp bad ones, since Trafikverket (Swedish road authorities) have gotten so much criticism for them.
All though the road it self is the narrow kind of "cheap motorway"... but since the traffic volume ain´t that high I think it will work out nicely.

And the last pic is of the "old" part of E4, south of the new one. This part (north of Söderhamn) have gotten much criticism since it was the first of it´s kind: narrow motorway, without hard shoulders. At the same time Söderhamn got this new E4 stretch they also got a new railway through the city and a new train station. The tunnel you can see on the pic is of the "new" railway, which goes parallel to the E4.
häggblom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2012, 11:25 AM   #1119
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

Trafikvärket wanted to build 2+1, but Huddiksvall municipality decided to fund the extra costs for adding another lane....
Old January 7th, 2012, 11:35 AM   #1120
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

Correct, even though the additional cost was only 30million SEK to build it as a 2+2 instead of a 2+1.
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote