daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old June 15th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #1221
italystf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,449
Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphelion
Today two new stretches of motorway open:
E6 Knäm-Lugnet, 6 km
E6 Skee-Ejgst, 3 km
So, Norway is almost connected with Europe by motorway, right?
__________________
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #1222
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,578
Likes (Received): 19366

Yep, just one small section of 7 kilometers is missing just south of these opened stretches. Which I've read is delayed to 2015 due to NIMBY's.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2012, 04:50 PM   #1223
Shifty2k5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Uppsala
Posts: 535
Likes (Received): 157

A list of the opening history of the E6 from Gothenburg to the norwegian border, a distance of 177 km:

Göteborg - Kungälv, 1958
Genom Kungälv, 1968
Kungälv - Kode, 1972
Kode - Stora Höga, 1974
Stora Höga - Ljungskile, 1991
Genom Ljungskile, 1994
Ljungskile - Lerbo, 1995
Lerbo - Torp, 2000
Torp - Kallsås, 2004
Kallsås - Småröd, 2005
Småröd - Saltkällan, 2008
Saltkällan - Håby, 2008
Håby - Rabbalshede, 2000
Ejgst - Hogdal, 2008-09
Hogdal - Nordby, 2003
Nordby - Svinesund, 2005
Rabbalshede–Pålen, 2010
Lugnet-Skee, 2010
Skee-Ejgst, 2012
Knäm-Lugnet, 2012
Shifty2k5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2012, 04:54 PM   #1224
metasmurf
Registered User
 
metasmurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Umeå, Sweden
Posts: 374
Likes (Received): 555

The remaining stretch Pålen-Tanumshede (7km) will have a short tunnel according to the plans. This will be one of very few rural motorwaytunnels in Sweden.

metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #1225
italystf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,449
Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by metasmurf
The remaining stretch Pålen-Tanumshede (7km) will have a short tunnel according to the qplans. This will be one of very few rural motorwaytunnels in Sweden.
It's a pity that Northern Europe countries have a so poor motorway network, otherwise the epic trip to North Cape would be easier. There are hardly any motorways in Sweden north of Stockholm, let alone Norway and Finland. Yes, those countries are sparsely populated, but also very rich.
__________________
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2012, 08:42 PM   #1226
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,578
Likes (Received): 19366

E4 is mostly a limited-access 2+1 highway north of Sundsvall, where low traffic volumes prevail. It basically has the same function as a motorway all the way to the Finnish border. The volumes generally only 5.000 - 8.000 vehicles per day outside the few urban areas along the coast.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #1227
Road_UK
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mayrhofen AT, Sneek NL, Bromley UK
Posts: 5,855
Likes (Received): 1599

And on other roads, which would be considered b-routes in Germany, the speed limit is often 110, and with so little traffic on these roads, all vehicles are easily overtakeble. I have driven on major routes in northern Sweden (to Finland via Sundsvall, and Mo-i-Rana also via Sundsvall, and these roads are a pleasure to drive on...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2012, 10:39 PM   #1228
MattiG
Registered User
 
MattiG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Espoo FI
Posts: 1,797
Likes (Received): 614

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
It's a pity that Northern Europe countries have a so poor motorway network, otherwise the epic trip to North Cape would be easier. There are hardly any motorways in Sweden north of Stockholm, let alone Norway and Finland. Yes, those countries are sparsely populated, but also very rich.
Because the traffic volumes are low, you do not need motorways for quick travelling. There is no problem to reach the average speed of 90-95 km/h on most of the Finnish non-motorway main roads in the summertime. It is not much less than on the German congested autobahns.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2012, 02:09 PM   #1229
ElviS77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 564
Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
And on other roads, which would be considered b-routes in Germany, the speed limit is often 110, and with so little traffic on these roads, all vehicles are easily overtakeble. I have driven on major routes in northern Sweden (to Finland via Sundsvall, and Mo-i-Rana also via Sundsvall, and these roads are a pleasure to drive on...
No 110 anymore, I'm afraid. The Swedes have reduced the speed limit on these roads to 100. Not that it makes that much of a difference...
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #1230
void0
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St.Petersburg, Espoo
Posts: 2,098
Likes (Received): 2870

I am planning a trip from Stockholm to approximately Bergen, that is about 1000km, is it double for 1 day? Is Stockholm-Olso road a motorway?
void0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 01:03 PM   #1231
ElviS77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 564
Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by void0 View Post
I am planning a trip from Stockholm to approximately Bergen, that is about 1000km, is it double for 1 day? Is Stockholm-Olso road a motorway?
No, not unless you want to die of fatigue and not see a thing... East of Vänern is motorway-dominated, the rest is mainly single-track until you are getting pretty close to Oslo. Some parts in Norway are still pretty poor, narrow, twisty and running through built-up-areas. West of Oslo it's basically 2-lane highway, decent in places, useless in other.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 11:43 PM   #1232
Cansend
City Trekker
 
Cansend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 10
Likes (Received): 0

The Swedish road-department (Trafikverket) is planning to upgrade a 21 kilometres strech of E10 to a 2+1/2+2 road north of Gällivare.
It will probably have same-level crossings, however some parts of the stretch don't have any crossings at all and therefore it could be upgraded to a highway/autostrasse.

If the road would be upgraded to a highway, it would probably be the worlds northest highway.

More information about the project (in Swedish):http://www.trafikverket.se/Privat/Pr...avvakko_skaulo

[IMG]http://i47.************/2re135l.png[/IMG]

Last edited by Cansend; June 29th, 2012 at 11:49 PM.
Cansend no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 11:46 PM   #1233
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,578
Likes (Received): 19366

The traffic volumes on that section are only 1.500 vehicles per day. I'm surprised there's any upgrade planned at all.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 11:52 PM   #1234
Cansend
City Trekker
 
Cansend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 10
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The traffic volumes on that section are only 1.500 vehicles per day. I'm surprised there's any upgrade planned at all.
Yes, I don't understand why they even upgrade the road when it gots a low traffic level. However the road has got quite many complaints from people living near the road and the fact that the road is quite small and very dangerous for overtakings.

The road is planned but it miss finance, since the Swedish government probably would prioritize other roads in that region. Like the E4.
Cansend no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 01:35 PM   #1235
kanterberg
Registered User
 
kanterberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 176
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cansend View Post
Yes, I don't understand why they even upgrade the road when it gots a low traffic level. However the road has got quite many complaints from people living near the road and the fact that the road is quite small and very dangerous for overtakings.

The road is planned but it miss finance, since the Swedish government probably would prioritize other roads in that region. Like the E4.
2+2 for a 1500 AADT road in the middle of nowhere? It's a colossal waste of money, if you ask me.

Almost a quarter of the population live in the Stockholm region and, more importantly, we pay more than 40% of all state tax. Is it unreasonable to think government infrastructure funding should reflect that somehow?

Take the Stockholm bypass as an example where the government will only provide a fraction of the funding needed. The rest will be payed by "congestion charging" and by local and regional funding. Let's apply the same principle for E10 north of Gällivare and they can finance it themselves by tolls and local funds...
kanterberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 08:49 PM   #1236
Cansend
City Trekker
 
Cansend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 10
Likes (Received): 0

Also, the Swedish road-department is planning to build a 2+1-road on another stretch on E10 between Morjärv and Västra Svartbyn.
Information about the project (on Swedish): http://www.trafikverket.se/Privat/Pr...ch-V-Svartbyn/
The whole stretch is 23,5 kilometres.

[IMG]http://i49.************/i5dwmp.png[/IMG]
Cansend no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 09:38 PM   #1237
metasmurf
Registered User
 
metasmurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Umeå, Sweden
Posts: 374
Likes (Received): 555

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanterberg View Post
2+2 for a 1500 AADT road in the middle of nowhere? It's a colossal waste of money, if you ask me.

Almost a quarter of the population live in the Stockholm region and, more importantly, we pay more than 40% of all state tax. Is it unreasonable to think government infrastructure funding should reflect that somehow?

Take the Stockholm bypass as an example where the government will only provide a fraction of the funding needed. The rest will be payed by "congestion charging" and by local and regional funding. Let's apply the same principle for E10 north of Gällivare and they can finance it themselves by tolls and local funds...
Haha, wow the stupidity, I can't take it. The road is used by LKAB which brings a shitload of tax money to the state, more than enough to finance these road projects. The stretches being upgraded have bad curvature and crests which makes overtaking trucks difficult and dangerous. They will most likely choose the 2+1 without physical divider in the middle, widening the road where it's easiest to do so. This may occasionally mean shorter 2+2 sections on flat/straight sections where it's easiest to add passing lanes. Just because you don't understand why its being upgraded doesn't make it unnecessary.

Last edited by metasmurf; June 30th, 2012 at 10:01 PM.
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2012, 01:08 AM   #1238
Cansend
City Trekker
 
Cansend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 10
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by metasmurf View Post
Haha, wow the stupidity, I can't take it. The road is used by LKAB which brings a shitload of tax money to the state, more than enough to finance these road projects. The stretches being upgraded have bad curvature and crests which makes overtaking trucks difficult and dangerous. They will most likely choose the 2+1 without physical divider in the middle, widening the road where it's easiest to do so. This may occasionally mean shorter 2+2 sections on flat/straight sections where it's easiest to add passing lanes. Just because you don't understand why its being upgraded doesn't make it unnecessary.
True. It's also because of LKAB, that the town of Kiruna will move 1 mile east.

One thing I don't understand is why they don't build out the Malmbanan to a dual carriage rail road, it could be needed since there is so many trains there.
Cansend no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2012, 01:20 AM   #1239
metasmurf
Registered User
 
metasmurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Umeå, Sweden
Posts: 374
Likes (Received): 555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cansend View Post
True. It's also because of LKAB, that the town of Kiruna will move 1 mile east.

One thing I don't understand is why they don't build out the Malmbanan to a dual carriage rail road, it could be needed since there is so many trains there.
I don't know if the capacity has peaked or not. Regardless, it would be a massive project given the length of 473km. More realistically would be, as they are doing now, to build more "mötesstationer" (meeting stations?) to increase capacity. With that being said, I'm for whatever upgrades this railway needs, and so should every Swede be since it means more tax money.

Last edited by metasmurf; July 1st, 2012 at 01:27 AM.
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2012, 05:44 PM   #1240
kanterberg
Registered User
 
kanterberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 176
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by metasmurf View Post
Haha, wow the stupidity, I can't take it. The road is used by LKAB which brings a shitload of tax money to the state, more than enough to finance these road projects. The stretches being upgraded have bad curvature and crests which makes overtaking trucks difficult and dangerous. They will most likely choose the 2+1 without physical divider in the middle, widening the road where it's easiest to do so. This may occasionally mean shorter 2+2 sections on flat/straight sections where it's easiest to add passing lanes. Just because you don't understand why its being upgraded doesn't make it unnecessary.
What is your point? It's not like the iron ore is transported on the E10, so I don't understand that argument. Yes, I'm sure the road is important for the LKAB company but what we are talking about here is upgrading a 1500 AADT section to 2+2 highway. Why is it needed? There is obviously not enough traffic to justify it...

The fact that LKAB brings in "a shitload of tax money" has absolutely nothing to do with it. It's still the taxpayers money and it should be spent where it makes sense and where it is needed, and I can think of hundreds of projects around the country that makes a lot more sense than upgrading the E10.
kanterberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium