daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 1st, 2012, 10:48 PM   #1241
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 927

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cansend View Post
True. It's also because of LKAB, that the town of Kiruna will move 1 mile east.

One thing I don't understand is why they don't build out the Malmbanan to a dual carriage rail road, it could be needed since there is so many trains there.
According to the Norwegian national transportation plan 2014-2023, the capacity of Ofotbanen (Malmbanan's Norwegian part) can be increased by 50 % by only making new and extending excisting meeting stretches.

Take a look at my Photo Mess!
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2012, 03:46 AM   #1242
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanterberg View Post
What is your point? It's not like the iron ore is transported on the E10, so I don't understand that argument. Yes, I'm sure the road is important for the LKAB company but what we are talking about here is upgrading a 1500 AADT section to 2+2 highway. Why is it needed? There is obviously not enough traffic to justify it...
Do I have to explain the obvious? Yes, the iron ore itself isn't transported on the road, but mining equipment, consultants, weekend commuters, essential services to the town of Kiruna and what not.

I have no idea where you got the 2+2 idea from, since a continuous 2+2 highway isn't mentioned anywhere in the plans.

The other alternatives are 1) 2+1 sections with guardrail 2) 2+1 sections without guardrail 3) 2+2 sections without guardrail.

Most likely they will choose 2+1 without guardrail, i.e the cheapest alternative. Motormännens Riksförbund ranks E10 among the 5 most dangerous roads in Sweden. Reason enough for an upgrade?
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 11:40 AM   #1243
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by metasmurf View Post
Reason enough for an upgrade?
Nonono, the road needs to be in the vicinity of Stockholm first...
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 04:36 PM   #1244
kanterberg

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Do I have to explain the obvious? Yes, the iron ore itself isn't transported on the road, but mining equipment, consultants, weekend commuters, essential services to the town of Kiruna and what not.
Why stop there, I imagine the road is also used by rescue services, arctic scientists, tourists on their way to the midnight sun...

... all of them amounting to the staggering number of 1500 vehicles per day (!).

Quote:
I have no idea where you got the 2+2 idea from, since a continuous 2+2 highway isn't mentioned anywhere in the plans.

The other alternatives are 1) 2+1 sections with guardrail 2) 2+1 sections without guardrail 3) 2+2 sections without guardrail.

Most likely they will choose 2+1 without guardrail, i.e the cheapest alternative. Motormännens Riksförbund ranks E10 among the 5 most dangerous roads in Sweden. Reason enough for an upgrade?
I have nothing against upgrading bad roads, I'm merely questioning the need for this upgrade. If road safety is your major issue I'm sure lowering the speed limit and adding a few more speed cameras would be much more cost effective...

There are too many sad examples of the government plowing down excessive amounts for infrastructure projects in places where it doesn't make any sense.
kanterberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 06:32 PM   #1245
metasmurf

Quote:
Why stop there, I imagine the road is also used by rescue services, arctic scientists, tourists on their way to the midnight sun...

... all of them amounting to the staggering number of 1500 vehicles per day (!).

I have nothing against upgrading bad roads, I'm merely questioning the need for this upgrade. If road safety is your major issue I'm sure lowering the speed limit and adding a few more speed cameras would be much more cost effective...

There are too many sad examples of the government plowing down excessive amounts for infrastructure projects in places where it doesn't make any sense.
You think lowering the speed limit is the answer? Do you know what kind of distances we're talking about? I give up...
Old July 2nd, 2012, 06:53 PM   #1246
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I've driven up towards the arctic circle a few times at night, breaking the speed limit most of the way. Please don't ask me to break the law even more, the way up is long and boring enough as it is...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 10:18 PM   #1247
MattiG

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Yes, I'm sure the road is important for the LKAB company but what we are talking about here is upgrading a 1500 AADT section to 2+2 highway.
No, were are not.

As the documents show, were are talking about making some improvements on a 18.5 km long road section. Most of road would be 1+1, with four 2+1 or 2+2 sections with total length of 4.5 km.

As the road is designated an European road (to be precise, a multiplex of two such roads), and the current curvature is substandard, I would not say investing some money there is waste of money.

Even if the traffic volumes are rather low, the main roads are expected to meet the minimum level of quality and safety for their total length.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #1248
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

E4 Sundsvall

New photos of the E4 motorway construction around Sundsvall.

Photos by Trafikverket
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2012, 12:25 AM   #1249
metasmurf

Drove this road earlier tonight. It's not a main road, but still... 90km/h with signs "Vägskada" for almost the entire stretch.

Väg 620 by skogspatolog
Old July 14th, 2012, 09:28 AM   #1250
JeremyCastle

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
As the road is designated an European road (to be precise, a multiplex of two such roads), and the current curvature is substandard, I would not say investing some money there is waste of money.

Even if the traffic volumes are rather low, the main roads are expected to meet the minimum level of quality and safety for their total length.
Most Norwegian E roads tend to fail the minimum level of quality and safety for their total length, so for the most part, Swedish roads are just fine. :-)
JeremyCastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 09:34 AM   #1251
JeremyCastle

Likes (Received): 2

Just drove on the E6 from Southern Norway into Sweden for the afternoon. The freeway/motorway seems to be complete, except for one small section just south of Tranum. There doesn't seem to be any sign on construction in that part. Does anyone know when and/or if they are going to upgrade that part to motorway? Until it is, Oslo is still the only Western/Northern European capital to not be connected to the rest of Western/Northern Europe via motorway.
JeremyCastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 01:45 PM   #1252
Schweden
Registered Loser

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyCastle View Post
Just drove on the E6 from Southern Norway into Sweden for the afternoon. The freeway/motorway seems to be complete, except for one small section just south of Tranum. There doesn't seem to be any sign on construction in that part. Does anyone know when and/or if they are going to upgrade that part to motorway? Until it is, Oslo is still the only Western/Northern European capital to not be connected to the rest of Western/Northern Europe via motorway.
It is planned, but I believed it has been delayed for some reason. Construction will start soon.

Also, Stockholm is not connected to the rest of Europe via motorway. There is a 2+1 stretch in Småland.
Schweden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 02:31 PM   #1253
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweden View Post
Also, Stockholm is not connected to the rest of Europe via motorway. There is a 2+1 stretch in Småland.
Helsinki isn't motorway-linked to Continental Europe, either.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #1254
Road_UK
BANNED

Nor is London and Dublin.
Old July 14th, 2012, 03:40 PM   #1255
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK
Nor is London and Dublin.
Neither Vaduz, Valletta, San Marino, Andorra la Vella and Rejkjavik.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 03:58 PM   #1256
Road_UK
BANNED

Vaduz as good as. Swiss A13 runs right beside it. We won't be needing motorways soon anyway, by 2015 they will do a hover conversion on all vehicles, and we will be flying. Also we won't need any gas, as Mr Fusion will transform all garbage into power.
Old July 14th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #1257
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Vaduz as good as. Swiss A13 runs right beside it. We won't be needing motorways soon anyway, by 2015 they will do a hover conversion on all vehicles, and we will be flying. Also we won't need any gas, as Mr Fusion will transform all garbage into power.
Just vote for Major Goldie Wilson III so that he can develop his soon-to-be famous hover conversions.
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #1258
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
Just vote for Major Goldie Wilson III so that he can develop his soon-to-be famous hover conversions.
Indeed. Progress is his middle name!
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 06:14 PM   #1259
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

Planning a trip to Sweden next year.

I would like to hire a car and drive from Stockholm to Malmö (and back a different route). I understand that much of the route isn't motorway, but roughly how long would that take?

How are drivers in southern Sweden generally? Are they generally placid or aggressive and how are the police when it comes to enforcing rules such as speeding in particular (because I like to drive fast)?
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying

My Panoramio
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 06:46 PM   #1260
kanterberg

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
Planning a trip to Sweden next year.

I would like to hire a car and drive from Stockholm to Malmö (and back a different route). I understand that much of the route isn't motorway, but roughly how long would that take?

How are drivers in southern Sweden generally? Are they generally placid or aggressive and how are the police when it comes to enforcing rules such as speeding in particular (because I like to drive fast)?
It will take you about six hours if you don't make too many stops. If you take the E4 and E6 it is about 600 kms and all of it, except a 21 km gap, is motorway standard. Speed limit mostly 110 and 120 km/h.

Drivers in Sweden are generally not very aggressive. If you stay on the motorway there are no speed cameras but if you are spotted by a police car there is usually little tolerance for speeding. Maximum speeding fine is 4000 SEK (571USD).
kanterberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote