daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 14th, 2012, 07:24 PM   #1261
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanterberg View Post
It will take you about six hours if you don't make too many stops. If you take the E4 and E6 it is about 600 kms and all of it, except a 21 km gap, is motorway standard. Speed limit mostly 110 and 120 km/h.

Drivers in Sweden are generally not very aggressive. If you stay on the motorway there are no speed cameras but if you are spotted by a police car there is usually little tolerance for speeding. Maximum speeding fine is 4000 SEK (571USD).
That's a big fine, but I agree with it if it aids road safety. Six hours isn't too bad at all as I'm used to enormous distances between US cities. The E4 looks like the most direct route, but it looks like much of it is non-motorway. I plan on taking a more coastal route back to Stockholm. I may even hop over to Copenhagen if there's time.
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying

My Panoramio
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2012, 07:49 PM   #1262
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

1.21 GIGAWATTS???
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 09:16 PM   #1263
kanterberg

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
That's a big fine, but I agree with it if it aids road safety. Six hours isn't too bad at all as I'm used to enormous distances between US cities. The E4 looks like the most direct route, but it looks like much of it is non-motorway. I plan on taking a more coastal route back to Stockholm. I may even hop over to Copenhagen if there's time.
Actually, apart from that short gap in Småland, the E4 is a motorway from Helsingborg all the way up to Gävle (two hours north of Stockholm), a distance of almost 800 kilometers.

My recommendation is that you take the E4 south and then head back via E6 to Gothenburg, the motorway along the west coast is much more scenic. Then take road 40 to Jönköping (also mostly motorway) where you can take road 195 on the west side of lake Vättern and head up towards Örebro to join the E20 or E18 motorways back to Stockholm. That trip would let you see a lot of the country, some scenic routes and it would be mostly on motorways.
kanterberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 09:19 PM   #1264
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

What's E22 along the east coast like?
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 09:25 PM   #1265
Shifty2k5

Likes (Received): 157

Quote:
All of E4 between Stockholm and Malmö is motorway, except for a small section of expressway.

For the return journey I recommend the E22 along the eastern coast of southern Sweden.
Shifty2k5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 09:35 PM   #1266
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
What's E22 along the east coast like?
Very mixed, ranging from standard rural road (50/70 km/h) to 2+1 road with a limit of 100 km/h. There is even some motorway.
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #1267
ChrisZwolle
Road user

And in terms of scenery? I know not to expect Norwegian fjords there, but is it nice?
Old July 14th, 2012, 11:27 PM   #1268
Kruzze

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
And in terms of scenery? I know not to expect Norwegian fjords there, but is it nice?
The east coast of Sweden along the E22 is a shifting landscape between flat open farmland, large pine woods and lots of small towns that you by pass or in some cases have to pass through. When reaching Kalmar a trip over the 7 km bridge to the island of Öland is worth a visit.

When reaching Norrköping after around 500 km of E22 the last 200 km strech to Stockholm is highway.
Kruzze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 03:37 PM   #1269
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:

How are drivers in southern Sweden generally? Are they generally placid or aggressive and how are the police when it comes to enforcing rules such as speeding in particular (because I like to drive fast)?
My experience of driving in southern Sweden is that drivers are just European average. Neither remarkably good nor really bad. Did a lot of speeding and didn't get caught, but I guess I was lucky.
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 04:34 PM   #1270
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
How are drivers in southern Sweden generally? Are they generally placid or aggressive and how are the police when it comes to enforcing rules such as speeding in particular (because I like to drive fast)?
It's worth noting that Swedish roads are among the safest in the world, if not the safest. Several reasons for this: The roads are generally good, at least given the AADT numbers. Main routes are commonly motorways or divided 2+1 highways. In addition, Swedish drivers generally follow the rules, though moderate speeding isn't uncommon. Tailgating and dangerous overtaking is rare, drinking and driving is generally not accepted (limit 0.02%). I don't think you will face any difficulities, of all the countries I've driven in (20+ European countries plus the US), Sweden is probably the most straightforward.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 05:40 PM   #1271
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElviS77 View Post
It's worth noting that Swedish roads are among the safest in the world, if not the safest. Several reasons for this: The roads are generally good, at least given the AADT numbers. Main routes are commonly motorways or divided 2+1 highways. In addition, Swedish drivers generally follow the rules, though moderate speeding isn't uncommon. Tailgating and dangerous overtaking is rare, drinking and driving is generally not accepted (limit 0.02%). I don't think you will face any difficulities, of all the countries I've driven in (20+ European countries plus the US), Sweden is probably the most straightforward.
I thought that would be the case. Having driven in much of the US where many people drive like dicks (especially in cities), I think I'd be OK. Generally, I've found other northern European countries that I've driven in (including my home country, the UK) to be pretty easy.

Another question, which coast (east or west) in Sweden is the more scenic?

My Panoramio
Old July 15th, 2012, 06:02 PM   #1272
Schweden
Registered Loser

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
I thought that would be the case. Having driven in much of the US where many people drive like dicks (especially in cities), I think I'd be OK. Generally, I've found other northern European countries that I've driven in (including my home country, the UK) to be pretty easy.

I'd say the west coast. The east coast (well, at least in Småland) is boring in comparison.
Schweden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #1273
Dan

Likes (Received): 3

If I remember correctly, doing 40 km/h higher than the limit on motorways and 30 km/h on other roads classifies as reckless driving and can result in the loss of your driving license and jail.
Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 09:09 PM   #1274
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
If I remember correctly, doing 40 km/h higher than the limit on motorways and 30 km/h on other roads classifies as reckless driving and can result in the loss of your driving license and jail.
Glad to hear that Swedes take road safety seriously. Traffic fatalities are no joke.

My Panoramio
Old July 15th, 2012, 09:13 PM   #1275
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Nearly all EU countries have better traffic safety records than the United States, so there's not much to worry about, unless you plan to drive into traffic chaos hell like Naples or Palermo.
Old July 15th, 2012, 09:26 PM   #1276
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Quote:
Nearly all EU countries have better traffic safety records than the United States, so there's not much to worry about, unless you plan to drive into traffic chaos hell like Naples or Palermo.
I am from an EU country myself (the UK) and I agree 100%. Traffic safety is quite appalling over here, though it varies by state.

My Panoramio
Old July 15th, 2012, 10:33 PM   #1277
kanterberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Well, yes and no. If you drive more than 30 over the limit your license will most likely be suspended for a month or more, in addition to the fines.

If you drive more than 50 km /h over the limit they report it to a prosecutor. That prosecutor could - in theory - try a case in court for reckless driving, but it certainly doesn't happen automatically. There are also several cases with people going 180+ on motorways and not being convicted for reckless driving, while there are examples of people going 60 km/h outside a school who have been convicted.

So no one is being sent to prison for speeding alone. In theory reckless driving could mean a prison sentence but in 99 of 100 cases the punishment would be a day-fine, a percentage of your income.
Old July 15th, 2012, 10:36 PM   #1278
kanterberg

Quote:
Six hours isn't too bad at all as I'm used to enormous distances between US cities. The E4 looks like the most direct route, but it looks like much of it is non-motorway. I plan on taking a more coastal route back to Stockholm. I may even hop over to Copenhagen if there's time.
Autobahn-bilder.de has a set of pictures from the E4 from Helsingborg all the way up to Stockholm, if you want to get an idea of what the road standard is like.

http://www.autobahn-bilder.de/inlines/e4schw.htm
Old July 15th, 2012, 10:39 PM   #1279
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I see they repaved E4 near Helsingborg. I remember there was poor quality concrete there.
Old July 15th, 2012, 10:49 PM   #1280
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Generally, I've found other northern European countries that I've driven in (including my home country, the UK) to be pretty easy.

I would say that swedish motorways are very easy to drive on, they are almost empty at times, few cars, not many trucks, plenty of space and absense of speeders.

Add to that scenic rest areas, lots of service stations, many with restaurants. Many service stations are open 24h.

After your swedish driving experience, take the ferry to Germany and you will notice the difference. Grey landscape, plenty of roadwork, clogged motorways full of trucks and speeders all the time in the left lane. Also breakdowns on the motorways is a common sight.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote