daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old September 21st, 2012, 01:54 PM   #1401
yako
Infidel
 
yako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 162
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Interesting landscaping / themes of underground interchanges. It may be a little too distracting though.

I'm surprised by the number of left exits shown in that video. However, regarding projected traffic streams it might prove to be less of an issue. I'm wondering if it's a conscious decision to reduce the need for weaving (an older video also shows left entries.)
yako no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 21st, 2012, 02:38 PM   #1402
verreme
Registered User
 
verreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 1,392
Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by yako View Post
I'm surprised by the number of left exits shown in that video. However, regarding projected traffic streams it might prove to be less of an issue. I'm wondering if it's a conscious decision to reduce the need for weaving (an older video also shows left entries.)
I don't think this will be an issue when driving 70 km/h. I mean, it is just a little faster than an average urban road.
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 02:58 PM   #1403
suburbicide
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 423
Likes (Received): 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
If you can fall asleep in a tunnel, you could also fall asleep on the open motorway at night. How big of a problem is this actually?
Drowsiness is one of the most common causes of road accidents. Many people are killed every year. Montononous roads is a contributry factor to drowsiness.

Your argument is like saying (in 1970) that there's no need for airbags because if there were, cars would have airbags.
suburbicide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 03:10 PM   #1404
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,578
Likes (Received): 19366

I meant to say, how big of a problem is this in tunnels? I think it's more landscaping than about traffic safety. Otherwise there would be a need to apply these kind of lighting to all tunnels and roads.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2012, 07:42 PM   #1405
Schweden
Registered Loser
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Barcelona/Gothenburg
Posts: 558
Likes (Received): 40

It is sort of trendy though, isn't it? A lot of new road projects in Sweden have decorations of some sort.

However, this whole thing is pretty ridiculous. Billboards are (generally) not allowed along Swedish motorways because of the risk for distraction. But wouldn't Billboards also keep drivers awake?
Schweden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2012, 07:56 PM   #1406
Road_UK
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mayrhofen AT, Sneek NL, Bromley UK
Posts: 5,855
Likes (Received): 1599

In pretty much all of eastern Europe, the fields surrounding motorways are littered with billboards. Not a pretty sight.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2012, 09:05 PM   #1407
suburbicide
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 423
Likes (Received): 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweden View Post
It is sort of trendy though, isn't it? A lot of new road projects in Sweden have decorations of some sort.

However, this whole thing is pretty ridiculous. Billboards are (generally) not allowed along Swedish motorways because of the risk for distraction. But wouldn't Billboards also keep drivers awake?
Billboards are not allowed mostly because they're ugly.
suburbicide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2012, 02:25 AM   #1408
Schweden
Registered Loser
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Barcelona/Gothenburg
Posts: 558
Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbicide View Post
Billboards are not allowed mostly because they're ugly.
That shouldn't really be a reason for banning them, though? If an owner of a field wants to make some extra cash shouldn't he be allowed to?

God, this country.
__________________

Mirror's Edge liked this post
Schweden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2012, 02:31 AM   #1409
riiga
Registered User
 
riiga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Linköping
Posts: 441
Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweden View Post
That shouldn't really be a reason for banning them, though? If an owner of a field wants to make some extra cash shouldn't he be allowed to?

God, this country.
No, for the reasons stated above. If he owns a barn (or similar building) though, there's nothing stopping him from putting up a huge sign on one of its sides.
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2012, 03:24 AM   #1410
dj4life
Registered User
 
dj4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: World
Posts: 24,279
Likes (Received): 48594

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Not luxurious necessarily. The decorations do not add much on top of the construction cost. In general, the cost of white light does not differ much from blue light, for instance.

Anyway, it is rather a common way to build something interesting to see along the roads in the Scandinavian countries. They can help keeping the driver alert, as least during the dark season.

In Finland, the roundabouts often show something related to the place they are located in..
So are in Sweden:

Nynäshamn

http://www.stockholmlighting.se/nyheter/blatt-led-hav-i-ny-rondell


Finninge

http://www.acdclighting.co.uk/project-category/led/


http://www.acdclighting.co.uk/project-category/led/


Linköping

image hosted on flickr

Rondellhund 2 by HennesR, on Flickr

Eskilstuna

image hosted on flickr

Profile by Yvonne E, on Flickr

Helsingborg


http://www.fotopedia.com/wiki/Sweden...0A-SI3LTgcTaKw

I guess, the most famous one - Sergels fountain, Stockholm:

image hosted on flickr

Stockholm - Sergels torget by Seirrowon, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Sergels torg by PJRose, on Flickr

Of course, there are many roundabouts that are decorated in a more simple (or even dull) way (f.e. flowers and lapms), however the tendency is that more and more of them are being 'themed'. Interestingly enough, some serious companies compete to have a right to decorate rundabouts.
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2012, 06:15 PM   #1411
Schweden
Registered Loser
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Barcelona/Gothenburg
Posts: 558
Likes (Received): 40

Allowing billboards simply comes down to a person's personal rights. The state shouldn't decide over such things.

It's hard being a liberal in Sweden.
Schweden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2012, 12:21 AM   #1412
riiga
Registered User
 
riiga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Linköping
Posts: 441
Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweden View Post
Allowing billboards simply comes down to a person's personal rights. The state shouldn't decide over such things.

It's hard being a liberal in Sweden.
Putting up billboards should be a personal right?

If you feel oppressed being a liberal here, you can always move to the Land of the Free™.

Last edited by riiga; September 24th, 2012 at 08:42 AM.
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2012, 04:40 AM   #1413
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,241
Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by riiga View Post
Putting up billboards should be a personal right?

If you feel oppressed being a liberal here, you can always move the Land of the Free™.
Leave us out of it, please. Besides, he might be confused by the fact that "liberal" here, for some reason, means roughly the opposite of what it does on the Continent.

At any rate, some U.S. states and local jurisdictions prohibit billboards too.
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2012, 05:21 AM   #1414
snowdog
Speed freak
 
snowdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Capelle ad ijssel
Posts: 969
Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
If you can fall asleep in a tunnel, you could also fall asleep on the open motorway at night. How big of a problem is this actually? It looks more like some luxurious landscaping than an essential addition to keep tunnels safe.
Result of sleep inducing speed limits .

I don't understand how anyone can think 110 km/h is a good limit with the low traffic going on there... Low to no traffic = flooring the throttle in my book.

Ah well, luckily I don't live there, Sweden is a beautiful country but with wrong politics imho .
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2012, 10:47 AM   #1415
Road_UK
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mayrhofen AT, Sneek NL, Bromley UK
Posts: 5,855
Likes (Received): 1599

Speedlimit is 120 these days. In the 110 days I got pulled by the police for speeding once near Linköping, and I asked him why the speedlimits are so low in Sweden. Lots of accidents, he replied.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2012, 03:25 PM   #1416
Kruzze
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 19
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Speedlimit is 120 these days. In the 110 days I got pulled by the police for speeding once near Linköping, and I asked him why the speedlimits are so low in Sweden. Lots of accidents, he replied.
He must have ment "the no fatalities in traffic vision" (nollvisionen). Actually Trafikverket (Department of traffic) must be doing something right because the number of deaths in traffic is down from over 500 a year during the 90:s to under 300 nowadays. Safer cars is one factor of course but lower speed limits on non separated roads, a lot more separated roads and lower tolarance to dui are large factors too.

Some weeks ago I became witness to a head on collision on a road with meeting traffic. The car driving two cars ahead of me were doing 80 km/h wich was the speed limit at that place and the meeting car must have been doing at least 90-100 km/h. The meeting car did a poor overtake, lost control of his car and crashed into a total of three cars, the last one was the car in front of me. Car number 2 took the hardest blow and the woman driving that car was seriously injured. The idiot who did the overtake got away with just a few bruises and a totaly wrecked car but now he has to answer to the court suspected of wreckless driving.

Some years ago that same road had a speed limit of 90 km/h but with that kind of speed I´m doubtful the woman would have survived. After witnessing that accident Im definitly pro moderat speed limits on non separated traffic.
Kruzze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2012, 03:31 PM   #1417
Road_UK
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mayrhofen AT, Sneek NL, Bromley UK
Posts: 5,855
Likes (Received): 1599

I have been arguing with a few boyracers on this forum, that speedlimits are there for a reason: to reduce accidents. They weren't having any of it. I must admit that limits on Swedish motorways is rather slow, considering that incidents are rare, and traffic volumes are low.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2012, 07:35 PM   #1418
Kruzze
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 19
Likes (Received): 9

Sure, speed limits on swedish motorways could be higher than 120 km/h and still be safe.
Kruzze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2012, 09:16 PM   #1419
Schweden
Registered Loser
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Barcelona/Gothenburg
Posts: 558
Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by riiga View Post
Putting up billboards should be a personal right?

If you feel oppressed being a liberal here, you can always move to the Land of the Free™.
Of course it's a personal right? If you're an land owner the state shouldn't be telling you what you can and can not do on this land. Ludicrous.
Schweden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2012, 10:58 PM   #1420
riiga
Registered User
 
riiga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Linköping
Posts: 441
Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweden View Post
Of course it's a personal right? If you're an land owner the state shouldn't be telling you what you can and can not do on this land. Ludicrous.
Why not? Don't you think there should be restrictions on what I can do on my land? Should I be allowed to kill trespassers? Should I be allowed to charge vehicles in case there is a road going through it?
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium