daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 24th, 2012, 11:23 PM   #1421
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweden View Post
Of course it's a personal right? If you're an land owner the state shouldn't be telling you what you can and can not do on this land. Ludicrous.
Yes, it should. You may own a strip of land. The landscape, however, is a public good. Erecting large advertising panels does impair the sight of the landscape. Hence, it is prohibited and landowners are legally restricted to land uses which suit the landscape and serve the common good.
If you want to change the law you have to find a political majority to vote in your favour. Although, I doubt you will in this case.

Sponsored Links
Old September 24th, 2012, 11:52 PM   #1422
kanterberg

Likes (Received): 4

Road safety is of course the main reason for the low speed limits, but that argument is really only valid on roads without a central barrier; it makes a huge difference if you have a head-on collision in 80km/h or 100 km/h, regardless of how modern your car is.

On motorways, the authorities are not even claiming that a 120 km/h (or higher) limit would cause significantly more deaths or more serious accidents. Look a the Danish example where they raised the speed limit and now see a falling number of accidents. What happened in Denmark was that the new 130-limit made people respect the remaining 110-stretches more, especially around Copenhagen where there is heavy traffic.

Instead, the discussion in Sweden is more focused on CO2-emissions these days. According to Trafikverket, raising the speed limits on all motorways to 120 would result in a sharp increase in CO2-emissions, which would go against the policy of reducing emissions from the transport sector.

To a certain extent they also refer to gender equality. There are studies done from time to time on what the public think about speed limits. In general, they usually show that men would like speed limits to be higher while women prefer them to stay the same or be lowered. Because the goal is a transportation system that is "attractive and accessible for both men and women", keeping the speed limit at 110 becomes a gender equality issue...
kanterberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2012, 12:34 AM   #1423
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19392

What a load of political correctness... Women can still choose to drive any legal speed they like.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2012, 02:40 AM   #1424
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by riiga View Post
Why not? Don't you think there should be restrictions on what I can do on my land? Should I be allowed to kill trespassers? Should I be allowed to charge vehicles in case there is a road going through it?
No (unless, you're directly affecting your neighbors or so eg. no building personal chemistry factories in the middle of a residential area to give an extreme example, but a farmer should be able to fill his land with anything he wants, car wrecks, billboards, windmills, cows, a giant ***** statue, a church, whatever...), yes and yes.
It's YOUR land...

And I hate political correctness!

Last edited by snowdog; September 25th, 2012 at 02:46 AM.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2012, 03:24 AM   #1425
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

"I think that I shall never see
"A billboard lovely as a tree!
"Perhaps, unless the billboards fall,
"I'll never see a tree at all."

- American humorist-poet Ogden Nash.
Don't know when he said that, but he's been dead for about 40 years.

No, I'm not making that up.
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...ash134152.html

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #1426
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanterberg View Post
To a certain extent they also refer to gender equality. There are studies done from time to time on what the public think about speed limits. In general, they usually show that men would like speed limits to be higher while women prefer them to stay the same or be lowered. Because the goal is a transportation system that is "attractive and accessible for both men and women", keeping the speed limit at 110 becomes a gender equality issue...
Oh God. Is that really an issue on setting speed limits in Swedish roads? I mean, are them often justified by that?
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2012, 06:37 PM   #1427
häggblom

Likes (Received): 20

Since the new European route: E16 (Oslo - Gävle) was officially initiated today I thought I could post a pic or two more!

These pic´s are all fresh, taken today actually!
In the outskirts of Gävle.
And conveniently the stretch between Gävle and Sandviken (and around Sandviken) have just been repaved! Finished last week. Quite appropriate to the E16 initiation.

And just some article about it in one of the local papers in Gävle. (in Swedish ofc.) http://gd.se/nyheter/gavle/1.5123446...-ort-efter-ort

And talking about the speed limits on Swedish motorways, I actually thought that good old "riks 80" (now E16) the part between Gävle and Valbo/Ikea would get lowered to 100 km/h, when the new limits was introduced a few years ago. But luckily it didn´t Since the road is so old (from the 1950´s) and quite curvy on a few places (and very, completely straight on other parts...) and have got lot´s of traffic and lot´s of exits. And also no emergency lanes :/ This is just the oldest part and closest to Gävle I´m talking about, the stretch from Valbo shopping centrer/road 56-exit to Sandviken is from the 1960´s and got wide emergency lanes and so on, also a bit less traffic!
häggblom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #1428
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Are these pictures taken on a Sunday?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #1429
häggblom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Are these pictures taken on a Sunday?
Nope, they are taken today actually!
Why you think they would been taken on a Sunday?
Old September 25th, 2012, 07:44 PM   #1430
Road_UK
BANNED

Fairly busy on the road for Swedish standards, but no freight traffic. It'd be the other way round on the E4 south of Stockholm.
Old September 25th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #1431
Aphelion

The AADT there (Valbo-Gävle) is about 30.000 vehicles/day with a truck share of about 10 %.
Aphelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #1432
häggblom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Fairly busy on the road for Swedish standards, but no freight traffic. It'd be the other way round on the E4 south of Stockholm.
A, I see, the pic´s was taken mid day, like lunch time today. But the first pic (maybe the second also) looks quite empty I think, but the last looks busy indeed!

And as I think I have said before, the "E16" have got almost twice as high traffic numbers as the "E4" around Gävle. :O

Just checked it out, it ain´t almost twice as much any more, but still alot more on the E16.
E16: 33.000 (AADT)
E4: 21.000 (AADT)
Old September 25th, 2012, 10:21 PM   #1433
häggblom

Since I´m in the "post mood", I´ll post some random pic´s of different kind of Swedish roads.
Though most are from a trip to Gothenburg in June this year.

The road (national route 56) between the two small towns of Sala and Heby, in the middle of Sweden, between Västerås and Gävle.
Typical wide (~13m) Swedish country road/highway. It is soon up for being converted to a 2+1 road divided by guardrail.

There is (was) almost 4.000 km wide, 13 meters country roads in Sweden, when they started rebuilding them to 2+1 roads.

2+1 road is a specific category of three-lane road, consisting of two lanes in one direction and one lane in the other, alternating every few kilometres, and separated usually with a steel cable barrier.

And the first example of this kind of two-lane express way (?) (motortrafikled) conversion was the E4 north of my home town Gävle.
It was converted to a separated 2+1 express way back in 1997. And from having been one of the most dangerous roads in Sweden (with lot´s of head on collisions in 110km/h+ speeds... when people where overtaking in both directions at the same time because of the wide road...)
there have since almost been none, or at least very few fatal accidents!

National route 56 between the two small towns of Sala and Heby.

The part between Sala down to Västerås was being rebuilt when I was on this trip. Closest to Sala they had not put up the barrier yet.

Further south the conversion was completed, and this road apparently got the more unusual barrier, instead of the steel cable version.

E18. The old city motorway through Västerås, I always enjoyed driving on city motorways although they usually are quite hated by the people in the cities which they run through...

Both the light poles and the median barrier are original and of the classic, typical Swedish 1960´s or 70´s standard.

Lot´s of traffic here around a big shopping centre/area in the western outskirts of Västerås. And not very nice looking pavement either... :P

E18, now outside of Västerås.

Rest stop information.

Main exit to the small town of Köping.

This is a picture of the old E18 IN Köping... The motorway outside the town was completed in 1995.

Some nice scenic views ;P

Taken from a rest stop area, between Västerås and Örebro.
On most pic´s you can also see the wildlife fences ("moose fence" as we call them in Sweden ). Almost all major country roads in Sweden got them.

Exit to the small but historical important town of Arboga.

Somewhere between Västerås and Örebro.

Last edited by häggblom; September 25th, 2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old September 26th, 2012, 12:16 AM   #1434
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21242

Speed limits can, or cannot, be determined by safety concerns. In many cases they are indeed fixed to what is safe on a given road. In many others, though, speed limits are kept artificially low out for reasons other than safety of road users, such as "symbolic politics" of not allowing fast traffic within city limits, or bogus anti-noise claims.
Old September 26th, 2012, 05:23 AM   #1435
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

E4 Sundsvall - Haparanda

Part 1 Sundsvall - Umeå
Part 2 Umeå - Piteå

Part 3 Piteå -Haparanda (171km)

Green = Motorway
Light green = Motortrafikled
Yellow = Grade separated 2+1, essentially up to motortrafikled standard.
Orange = Grade separated 2+2, essentially up to motortrafikled/motorway standard
Blue = 2+1 with at grade intersections or mixed grade separated/at grade.
Dark Blue = 2+2 with at grade intersections or mixed grade separated/at grade.
Black = Regular 2-lane road
Red = Slow speed 2-lane road/city street with two our four lanes, traffic lights, roundabouts etc.
Brown = Under construction

1. Piteå - Boviken 6,5km Motorway (Sweden's northernmost stretch of motorway).
2. Boviken - Rosvik 14km 2-lane road.
3. Rosvik - Ersnäs 10km 2+1, no grade separation.
4. Through Ersnäs/Trafikplats Ersnäs 1,7km. U/C. Building of one grade separated intersection and widening to 2+2.
5. Ersnäs - Gäddvik 10,5km 2+2, mostly grade separated.
6. Gäddvik - Rutvik 9km 2+1 grade separated classified as motortrafikled (Sweden's northernmost).
7. Rutvik - Nickbyn 8km 2+1, one grade separated intersection.
8. Nickbyn - Persön 2km Upgrade to 2+1 with barrier, no grade separation.
9. Persön - Börjeslandet 4km 2+1 one grade separated intsecton.
10. Through Börjeslandet 1,5km 2-lane road.
11. Börjeslandet - Kalix 51km 2+1, partly grade separated.
12. Through Kalix 2,5km 2-lane road with mostly roundabouts.
13. Kalix - Sangis 17,5km 2-lane road with two grade separated intersections.
14. Through Sangis 1,7km 2-lane village thoroughfare.
15. Sangis - Harrioja 10km 2-lane road.
16. Harrioja - Salmis 12,5km 2+1 no grade separation.
17. Salmis - Haparanda 7km 2-lane road.
18. Haparanda - Swe/Fin border 2-lane road with roundabouts.

Future plans

Probably before 2021

1. Through Börjeslandet 1,5km Upgrade to 2+1. Building starts 2013.
2. Boviken - Rosvik 14km. Upgrade to 2+1, and two grade separated intersections. Building starts 2016.
3. Kalix - Lappbäcken 13km. Upgrade to 2+1. Building start unknown, but probably before 2021.

After 2021

1. Lappbäcken - Harrioja 16km upgrade to 2+1.
2. Salmis - Haparanda 7km upgrade to 2+1 or 2+2.

Last edited by metasmurf; September 26th, 2012 at 07:38 AM.
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 09:17 AM   #1436
Aphelion

According to this article, the E4 at Ljungby will be rebuilt to motorway standards starting 2015.
Aphelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 10:26 AM   #1437
Road_UK
BANNED

That's a shame. I like the variable 1x2 bit as a change of pace.
Old September 26th, 2012, 06:08 PM   #1438
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

The choice has been made for E4 Skellefteå by Trafikverket today. Surprisingly, the best alternative was chosen, i.e the eastern corridor "Östra Leden" instead of continuing through downtown.

Article

Last edited by metasmurf; September 26th, 2012 at 06:17 PM.
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 06:59 PM   #1439
Schweden
Registered Loser

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphelion View Post
According to this article, the E4 at Ljungby will be rebuilt to motorway standards starting 2015.
Finally!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by riiga View Post
Why not? Don't you think there should be restrictions on what I can do on my land? Should I be allowed to kill trespassers? Should I be allowed to charge vehicles in case there is a road going through it?
You don't know much about the core principles of liberalism, do you? I rest my case.
Schweden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 07:00 PM   #1440
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19392

It appears that space has been reserved for such a corridor. What kind of road will it be? Four-lane highway? Motorway? 2+1? Grade separated?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote