daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 8th, 2013, 06:51 PM   #1501
kanterberg

Likes (Received): 4

Traffic news

Congestion charging in Göteborg/Gothenburg is up and running since January 2nd. The amount payable varies between 8 and 13 SEK (≈€0,95-1,70) when passing the electronic toll stations between 6:30 am and 6:30 pm. No tax is levied on weekends nor in the month of July.

First day of operation traffic was down about 20%. A local tabloid has managed to collect signatures of more than 10% of the electorate, forcing the city council to vote on whether or not there should be referendum about it. That still seems unlikely though, as a two third majority in the council can stop the referendum and most of the major parties support the tax.

Also in Gothenburg, speed limits were lowered on December 28 on most urban motorways. 110 to 100 and 90 to 80... The official reason is CO2-reduction and increased capacity on the road.

On a different note, preliminary statistics for road fatalities in Sweden in 2012 were released today. Over the year, 296 people died in road accidents, which is the second lowest number since the 1940's. The Transport Agency claim lowered speed limits have been a contributing factor.

Interestingly enough, no one was killed in an overtaking accident in 2012. I guess that goes to show how successful the 2+1-roads with steel cable barriers have been.
kanterberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:38 PM   #1502
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanterberg View Post
Interestingly enough, no one was killed in an overtaking accident in 2012. I guess that goes to show how successful the 2+1-roads with steel cable barriers have been.
Really? Quite extraordinary, and, as you say, an amazing illustration of the value of divided 2+1 roads. Other countries should learn from this: if one's roads are wide enough, the central divider is a cheap, life-saving device.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2013, 02:50 AM   #1503
Kruzze

Likes (Received): 9

That sounds like great news but according to the statistics for road fatalities for 2012 72 people were killed in "meeting accidents" (möte) with cars. Although an all time low in that type of accident in the statistics there´s still a lot of work to be done. Many more roads in Sweden could be divided with a steel fence to a relativly low cost. That´s much more important than trying to lower the CO2 emissions with some few percent.
Kruzze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2013, 11:42 AM   #1504
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2095

Quote:
Congestion charging in Göteborg/Gothenburg is up and running since January 2nd. The amount payable varies between 8 and 13 SEK (≈€0,95-1,70) when passing the electronic toll stations between 6:30 am and 6:30 pm. No tax is levied on weekends nor in the month of July.

First day of operation traffic was down about 20%.
Is a congestion charge so low really capable of cutting traffic so much? Odd.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2013, 11:59 AM   #1505
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Depends on what they compare it with. January and February traffic volumes are always lower than the regular months by 10%. Add the "first day of operation" which was either New Year's Day or the day thereafter, which are typically low traffic days.

The usual pattern of congestion charge is that traffic volumes decline quite a bit after initial implementation but after a while levels are nearly back to pre-congestion charge levels because former motorists find out public transport is not as good as politicians advertise.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2013, 12:12 PM   #1506
kanterberg

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Depends on what they compare it with. January and February traffic volumes are always lower than the regular months by 10%. Add the "first day of operation" which was either New Year's Day or the day thereafter, which are typically low traffic days.

The usual pattern of congestion charge is that traffic volumes decline quite a bit after initial implementation but after a while levels are nearly back to pre-congestion charge levels because former motorists find out public transport is not as good as politicians advertise.
That's exactly what happened in Stockholm when it was introduced there, first a 20% reduction and after a year or so it was almost back to pre-congestion charge levels. I suppose we can expect the same results in Gothenburg.

What's interesting is that foreign vehicles are still exempt, as they still haven't figured out how to levy a tax (it's technically a tax, not a toll/charge/fee) on foreign nationals. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more protests about this in Gothenburg than in Stockholm, considering the higher amount of international transit traffic on the west coast and the fact that the E6-motorway is also taxed, unlike the E4 in Stockholm.
kanterberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2013, 12:25 PM   #1507
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I don't understand why they included E6 in the congestion charge zone. It's not like you can avoid congestion by taking an alternate route. There aren't any.
Old January 9th, 2013, 02:21 PM   #1508
xbox36O

Likes (Received): 0

$$$
xbox36O no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2013, 03:07 PM   #1509
MattiG

Likes (Received): 614

Quote:
I don't understand why they included E6 in the congestion charge zone. It's not like you can avoid congestion by taking an alternate route. There aren't any.
Do you really believe that the purpose of that congestion charge is to reduce congestion?

It is a noble name to a new tax. The case is something similar to a squirrel: A squirrel is a rat backed up by a successful marketing campaign. Nasty things turn nice if they are delivered in fuzzy and warm packages with a sweet name.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2013, 03:34 PM   #1510
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Well, that is quite obvious indeed. I tried to argue like politicians do to sell their plans
Old January 9th, 2013, 04:21 PM   #1511
Aphelion

Likes (Received): 20

I have updated the map on the page in my signature with a clickable version. Click a stretch to see more details than on the "Future" page.

Among the planned sections, only the ones with a somewhat near construction start (earlier than 2021) are shown on the map.
Aphelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2013, 09:06 PM   #1512
Orionol
Mötesplatsen

Likes (Received): 263

Wow, good map/list, describing Swedish roads/svenska vägar!
Old January 9th, 2013, 09:26 PM   #1513
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I've read RV40 at Ulricehamn will be the highest motorway in Sweden, at about 300 meters altitude. Is this correct?
Old January 9th, 2013, 09:33 PM   #1514
Orionol
Mötesplatsen

Likes (Received): 263

Yep, a village nearby Ulricehamn called Hester, it will be the location to the highest (motorway/highway) point, with about 330m. Thats what wikipedia says.

EDIT: Had the wrong name of village.
Old January 9th, 2013, 09:46 PM   #1515
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

Quote:
Indeed. It doesn't make any sense. What hasn't been (on this page at least) is that the congestion tax will finance public transportation and road projects in Gothenburg the same way as in Stockholm.
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2013, 11:32 AM   #1516
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
What's interesting is that foreign vehicles are still exempt, as they still haven't figured out how to levy a tax (it's technically a tax, not a toll/charge/fee) on foreign nationals. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more protests about this in Gothenburg than in Stockholm, considering the higher amount of international transit traffic on the west coast and the fact that the E6-motorway is also taxed, unlike the E4 in Stockholm.
That's a "fairness" vs "pragmatism" debate. It would be more fair if foreigners paid as well. However, if you are pragmatic, you will notice the amount of foreigners is very low, especially during rush hour on workdays (excluding E6). Even in the Netherlands, foreign cars and trucks are responsible for only 2.7% of the kilometers driven. So introducing a toll to foreigners would result in very little difference in reality.
Old January 10th, 2013, 11:37 AM   #1517
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:

That's a "fairness" vs "pragmatism" debate. It would be more fair if foreigners paid as well. However, if you are pragmatic, you will notice the amount of foreigners is very low, especially during rush hour on workdays (excluding E6). Even in the Netherlands, foreign cars and trucks are responsible for only 2.7% of the kilometers driven. So introducing a toll to foreigners would result in very little difference in reality.
Traffic to ferry terminals for Estonia and Finland at Stockholm always have to go through the congestion charge area. Not that I have ever paid...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2013, 12:19 PM   #1518
MattiG

Likes (Received): 614

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Traffic to ferry terminals for Estonia and Finland at Stockholm always have to go through the congestion charge area. Not that I have ever paid...
It is because the street tax in Stockholm applies to vehicles registered in Sweden only.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 04:38 AM   #1519
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Oslo toll ring charges (and all Norwegian tolls, for that matter) are charged from everyone. Technically it's pretty much the same as in Stockholm/Gothenburg; there's no stopping at toll gates, just the license numbers are photographed if there is no identification tag in the windshield. And I bet the share of foreign traffic is lower than in Stockholm or Gothenburg.

Politically, I would prefer the "fairness" here. It's much more difficult to sell this idea to local residents (who are also voters) if foreigners don't need to pay. But I guess this argument doesn't belong in this forum anyway...
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #1520
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 920

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
Oslo toll ring charges (and all Norwegian tolls, for that matter) are charged from everyone. Technically it's pretty much the same as in Stockholm/Gothenburg; there's no stopping at toll gates, just the license numbers are photographed if there is no identification tag in the windshield. And I bet the share of foreign traffic is lower than in Stockholm or Gothenburg.

Politically, I would prefer the "fairness" here. It's much more difficult to sell this idea to local residents (who are also voters) if foreigners don't need to pay. But I guess this argument doesn't belong in this forum anyway...
I highly doubt foreign traffic is lower here than in Stockholm, and I don't think it's lower than Gothenburg either.
The solution that will be implemented eventually here is that it will be obligatory for all drivers on Norwegian roads, Norwegian or not, to have a chip in the windshield (the AutoPASS). The owner of the chip must also have guaranteed credit on this chip. I'm predicting this system will spread to elsewhere in Europe with time, the EU has already adopted technology similar to the AutoPASS for EETS.

Take a look at my Photo Mess!
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote