daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 4th, 2013, 01:45 AM   #1621
Morsue

Likes (Received): 46

Kameror i Södra länken plockas ner på grund av smutsig luft

I noticed this some weeks ago. The speed traps in the Södra Länken system have been removed due to the low air quality. It made the images taken useless.
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2013, 07:28 PM   #1622
häggblom

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by riiga View Post
Nice pictures NordikNerd!
Yes indeed nice pics, but no pictures of the nice looking new bridge over Motalaviken ?
häggblom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 07:56 PM   #1623
häggblom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanterberg View Post
The Easter holiday means more traffic on the roads than usual. When traffic increases some 2+1-roads will simply reach max capacity with long queues and traffic jams as a result. The E4 north of Gävle is notorious for this, especially with people returning south after the Christmas and Easter holidays. Normally, the 2+1-road (110km/h IIRC) works just fine, but on peak hours during holidays the road doesn't have enough capacity.

On Easter Monday they tested a rather unusual model to solve this problem. They simply introduced a temporary overtaking ban on a 50 km long stretch between Tönnebro and Gävle N (southbound). The overtaking lanes were shut down with physical barriers and only one lane remained open.

The Traffic Administration and the police claim the experiment was successful as traffic flowed, albeit slowly. No accidents were reported. The argument is that by closing the overtaking lane dangerous high speed merging into one lane can be avoided. That way you also avoid situations the hard braking that sometimes propagates backwards in heavy traffic and causes traffic jams.

The Traffic Administration is going to evaluate the experiment and possibly start using this model on other 2+1-roads during days with heavy traffic.

Personally I'm not sure what I think about this. Logically it's hard to accept that road capacity would increase by closing the overtaking lane.

It would be interesting to hear what you have to say. Does anyone know of other examples of this procedure?

Local newspaper reporting on the experiment:
http://gd.se/nyheter/gavle/1.5737217...iment-pa-e4-an
Actually this piece of road is about to reach it´s capacity limit soon I can tell.
It´s not just on big holidays this stretch can be slow and crowded to drive on. Pretty much the entire summer it is to much traffic with slow going traffic as a result... (there are a lot of caravans and RV´s on this road stretch, both Swedish and foreign) and ofc all the normal long way E4 traffic...

Some nice news though is that since a couple of years back the Länsstyrelsen Gävleborg (Gävle county) is lobbying the government and trafikverket to add one more lane and make it a real motorway! Probably the same kind as between Söderhamn and Hudiksvall, 2+2, but still, would be sweet!

Was an editorial about this in the local paper just the other day:
http://gd.se/ledare/1.5740012-gor-motorvag-av-e4-n

As I live in Gävle, I actually often take the "old E4" (länsväg 583) when I travel north, since it often is traffic jams on the "new E4" + it is one boring looking landscape you get to travel through: all flat and just pine forest.... nothing interesting to see at all... The old one is nicer.
Old April 4th, 2013, 08:47 PM   #1624
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by häggblom View Post
Yes indeed nice pics, but no pictures of the nice looking new bridge over Motalaviken ?
I have only seen the bridge from a distance. This bridge may become a toll bridge. The city of Motala has an akward location between two lakes so building a bypass road was not possible without a bridge.

I recently drove the new stretch of the road 32 Skänninge-Mjölby. Very bumpy ride, but I don't think the road is fully done yet, strange that they have opened it for traffic.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #1625
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Then again, there are some 2+1 lane roads in Sweden where the merging lane in each intersection becomes a new "right lane", and the original lane actually becomes the "left lane", which ends when the overtaking direction changes; so basically, those driving the highway must change lanes to right after every intersection.

Wonder if this is largely practised in other countries...
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 11:54 PM   #1626
Shifty2k5

Likes (Received): 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
Then again, there are some 2+1 lane roads in Sweden where the merging lane in each intersection becomes a new "right lane", and the original lane actually becomes the "left lane", which ends when the overtaking direction changes; so basically, those driving the highway must change lanes to right after every intersection.

Wonder if this is largely practised in other countries...
It's safer. No forced merging.
Shifty2k5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2013, 01:17 PM   #1627
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty2k5 View Post
It's safer. No forced merging.
So, if that delivers a significant improvement in traffic safety, why is it not implemented on motorways?
MattiG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #1628
Nils de Gothia

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
So, if that delivers a significant improvement in traffic safety, why is it not implemented on motorways?
It is. But most motorway junctions don´t increase the number of lanes.
Nils de Gothia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 12:39 AM   #1629
häggblom

Photos of the "New E4" Sundsvall

I went up to Sundsvall a couple of days ago, and of course I paid some visits to all the "new E4 construction sites" And I took lots of pictures! Although the weather was pretty crappy and very grey but I hope some people here like to see some of the pictures anyway

Since I did a photo post of the new E4 between Söderhamn and Hudiksvall a while ago I will just show one picture from that stretch and then skipping right to the stretch north of Hudiksvall and around Sundsvall.

Also most of the pics are pretty "zoomed in", therefore some pictures are a bit blury... :/

Starting with the picture from the new E4 south of Hudiksvall, opened for traffic October 2011.

Then after Hudiksvall the E4 turns in to an oooold regular road/highway!
So this is now the first place in Sweden where the E4 isn´t motorway or expressway when coming from the south.

The last time I drove on the E4 and it just was an regular road must have been north of Uppsala before the new motorway there opened in 2006.

Lot´s of big intercections and almost a gasstation and some kind of dinner at everyone also, kind of nice - compered to how far between them it usually is on motorways

However, about half of the stretch between Hudiksvall and Sundsvall have been turned in to 2+1-road, still a regular road though - no expressway.

The police was having a speed check...

Entering the southern outskirts of Sundsvall, and the traffic lights starts... And there are lots of them UP TO AND THROUGH Sundsvall... But in 2015 they will finally be history

Info from Trafikverket about the "new E4" and how you should calculate for extra travel time, during the construction.

Sundsvall really is an old industial city, tons of industries just along the E4, lots of chemical industries especially.

A tractor on the E4!

The new E4 under construction to the left

The southern bridge support

Some nice old buildings in down town Sundsvall. I´m still on the E4!

The last traffic light in Sundsvall, just before the old motorway from the 1960´s north of the city center starts.

Here´s where the new E4 bridge will connect to the old motorway, so lot´s of constructions on the north side of town also.

Some gravel

Just a pic of the old motorway:

Northern bridge support up close:
And some sunshine!

Heading home again:

dj4life, metasmurf, ChrisZwolle, Kapetan liked this post
Old April 18th, 2013, 01:51 AM   #1630
RV

Likes (Received): 275

Hey, where can u find AADT maps for Sweden?
RV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 10:05 AM   #1631
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:

The last traffic light in Sundsvall, just before the old motorway from the 1960´s north of the city center starts.

Seeing a distance sign to Haparanda means you are far up north.
Is the first distancesign for Haparanda this one north of Sundsvall ?

Just because the E4 is the main road through Sweden is does not mean it has the same road standard requirements all the way, so I don't see why seeing a tractor on the E4 should be a sensation.

Quote:
This photo with Trondheim would be appropriate in the other thread "Roadsigns showing cities in other countries" or what ever they call it ??

Great post. Looking forward to more road photos in this thread.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 01:47 PM   #1632
Aphelion

New aerial photos of the motorway construction on the E22 between Sölve and Stensnäs:

Aphelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 02:33 PM   #1633
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Great pics but...

Quote:

The police was having a speed check...
... assuming these two are from the same place, and judging from the police car and other vehicles it seems they are, what on earth justifies the 50 limit? Other than the speed trap itself?
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 05:08 PM   #1634
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV View Post
Hey, where can u find AADT maps for Sweden?
http://vtf.trafikverket.se/SeTrafikfloden
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 06:26 PM   #1635
Nils de Gothia

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
Great pics but...

... assuming these two are from the same place, and judging from the police car and other vehicles it seems they are, what on earth justifies the 50 limit? Other than the speed trap itself?
It doesn´t look like a speed trap to me. Looks like a typical vehicle control area. Whenever used, the electronic signage is showing reduced speed. Maybe they had a speed trap too.
Nils de Gothia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 07:10 PM   #1636
häggblom

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
Seeing a distance sign to Haparanda means you are far up north.
Is the first distancesign for Haparanda this one north of Sundsvall ?

Just because the E4 is the main road through Sweden is does not mean it has the same road standard requirements all the way, so I don't see why seeing a tractor on the E4 should be a sensation.

This photo with Trondheim would be appropriate in the other thread "Roadsigns showing cities in other countries" or what ever they call it ??

Great post. Looking forward to more road photos in this thread.
Yep, as far as I remember that sign just north of Sundsvall city center is the first one with Haparanda on it.

Feel free to post the "Trondheim sign photo" in the "Roadsigns showing cities in other countries" if you want.
I actually think that the sign is brand new since that small roundabout have just been built because of the "new E4 project", in that area you now drive on some temporary detour roads, during the construction.
Old April 18th, 2013, 07:12 PM   #1637
häggblom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nils de Gothia View Post
It doesn´t look like a speed trap to me. Looks like a typical vehicle control area. Whenever used, the electronic signage is showing reduced speed. Maybe they had a speed trap too.
Yep, that´s actually true, I don´t think it was a speed check - more of a general vehicle check, that they were up to.
And that´s probably the reason why they had lowered the speed limit there, so they more easily could chose their "victims".

PS. Just think I should ad that I think the new E4 bridge over the Sundsvalls bay is going to be super nice to drive on! It sure looked pretty big and impressive up close I can say, the bridge supports
And the views over Sundsvall and the surrounding area when driving on the bridge will probably be very nice to.
The new bridge will actually become the third longest road bridge in Sweden, after Öresundsbron and Ölandsbron.

Here are some visualizations of the bridge:

It is called "Dubbelkrum" and is designed by a danish architect firm.

And a map of the entire project:

Last edited by häggblom; April 18th, 2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old April 18th, 2013, 07:17 PM   #1638
Aphelion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Great find - the old site (gis.vv.se) is down and I couldn't find the replacement (until now)
Aphelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 07:21 PM   #1639
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Yes, I found that out as well.

I don't really like the Trafikverket site that much. It's a bit messy, but luckily they don't put a near-full screen banner on top of their site like Norwegian Statens Vegvesen does.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #1640
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

Some photos of the progress on Östra länken in Linköping, soon to be part of riksväg 35.

snowdog liked this post
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote