daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 27th, 2013, 02:15 PM   #1661
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweden View Post
I don't really see your point. Obviously, planting trees are better than not planting trees.
Is it better than leaving those spaces with just gravel or some grass, yes. Bu let's not kid ourselves about trees being awesome at noise reduction or that trees along a motorway makes it a net benefit to the environment.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2013, 08:53 PM   #1662
häggblom

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
Is it just me, or does that railbridge look like it's only one track? Wasted opportunity. build two while you're at it and for the love of the gods, put a bike lane and a pedestrian lane on it!

Those trees around the ramps... who are they kidding? They're trying to make it look like they're building a park when the actual effect will be increased car traffic. lame.

Also: the congestion charge is needed. Tho I'd be fine with replacing it with adding like 10 kr per hour to all surface parking in the region

The old railway bridge will be kept after the new one is built, so there will be two one track-bridges (I guess only the road tunnel is visible on those renderings). Because of the high elevation level needed over the river both the old one and the new bridge will be/are moveable bridges. The old one is a swing bridge and the new one will be a lift bridge.

A picture of the lift bridge in Trollhättan built in 2001 (70 km up stream the same river!)

As for the trees and other landscaping related stuff in this area, I actually think i doesn't matter much at all, since it is a completely industrialized and traffic-oriented area, and have been for ages. But some trees is always good for the air quality, so why not

Last edited by häggblom; May 28th, 2013 at 08:58 PM.
häggblom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #1663
Shifty2k5

Likes (Received): 157

Rotebroleden, between trafikplats Stäket and Rotebro will be rebuilt to 2+2, which was announced today.

http://www.trafikverket.se/Pressrum/...n-ska-breddas/

Construction will start in 2014.

Rendered video of the stretch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH9myXYi0Iw

Last edited by Shifty2k5; May 29th, 2013 at 06:33 PM.
Shifty2k5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2013, 04:52 AM   #1664
Schweden
Registered Loser

Likes (Received): 40

Finally!!! I was thinking about this the other day, as I am more or less forced to drive this stretch in a couple of days.
Schweden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2013, 11:26 AM   #1665
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty2k5 View Post
Rotebroleden, between trafikplats Stäket and Rotebro will be rebuilt to 2+2, which was announced today.

http://www.trafikverket.se/Pressrum/...n-ska-breddas/

Construction will start in 2014.

Rendered video of the stretch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH9myXYi0Iw
If you plan to drive from the Stockholm inner city to Kungsängen/Västerås, most people tend to drive the E4 to Rotebro, then the 267 (Rotebroleden) connecting to the E18 at "Stäket". Not like you expect drive on E18 all the way connecting directly at "Järva Krog". At least this was a routine when I drove a taxi in Stockholm in the 90's.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2013, 12:23 PM   #1666
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
If you plan to drive from the Stockholm inner city to Kungsängen/Västerås, most people tend to drive the E4 to Rotebro, then the 267 (Rotebroleden) connecting to the E18 at "Stäket". Not like you expect drive on E18 all the way connecting directly at "Järva Krog". At least this was a routine when I drove a taxi in Stockholm in the 90's.
That might change when the new stretch of E18 Kista-Hjulsta is complete.

http://publikationswebbutik.vv.se/up...lsta_kista.pdf
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2013, 02:09 PM   #1667
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

Today, Östra länken (Eastern Link) was inaugurated and opened to traffic. It features about 2 km of 2+2 lanes, 3 roundabouts, 1 railroad crossing and a speed limit of 80 and 60 km/h. It is part of the outer ringroad (Yttre ring) and national route 35 (riksväg 35). The total cost was about 275 million SEK.

I've taken quite a lot of pictures which are in the full album. Here's one image from that album:

makaveli6, Suburbanist, dj4life, Rombi liked this post
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2013, 03:59 PM   #1668
Shifty2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by riiga View Post
Today, Östra länken (Eastern Link) was inaugurated and opened to traffic. It features about 2 km of 2+2 lanes, 3 roundabouts, 1 railroad crossing and a speed limit of 80 and 60 km/h. It is part of the outer ringroad (Yttre ring) and national route 35 (riksväg 35). The total cost was about 275 million SEK.

I've taken quite a lot of pictures which are in the full album. Here's one image from that album:
Is that railroad crossing used frequently by trains?
Old May 30th, 2013, 04:14 PM   #1669
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty2k5 View Post
Is that railroad crossing used frequently by trains?
Stångådalsbanan. One freight train a day mon-thu and maybe 8 or 9 passenger trains a day mon-sun.

My photos of the new "Råbergaleden"/Östra länken
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by NordikNerd; May 30th, 2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old May 31st, 2013, 04:21 PM   #1670
RV

Likes (Received): 275

So much happening in Stockholm region!

In the Helsinki metro area, nothing has been done on the saturated access routes since the 70s, but the most critical problem lies in the surrounding 20 000-50 000 habitant-towns. Their main links consist of 1+1-laned streets with AADT up to 25 000 with no even plans of upgrading!
RV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 05:05 PM   #1671
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19392

Well, keep in mind that very little was done in Stockholm between 1970 and 2000 as well.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 10:05 PM   #1672
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Well, keep in mind that very little was done in Stockholm between 1970 and 2000 as well.
Of course the inauguration of the "Essingeleden" in 1966 was a milestone in the history of Stockholm motorways.

The so called "Norra Länken" a part of the E4 was a very important project completed in 1991.

I remember before that, the traffic of the E4 went through the innercity street "N. Stationsgatan with traffic lights.

Many changes take place all the time. I drove a taxi there in 1994-1998. Today my knowledge of where and how to drive is very much insufficient.
Old May 31st, 2013, 10:35 PM   #1673
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19392

The main network was completed by 1972. Only the E4 gap was closed in 1991 indeed, and Essingeleden was restriped to 2x4 lanes. However this added only 2 or 3 kilometers to the network. After 2000 the Södra länken was developed, now followed by the Norra länken extension and several projects in suburban Stockholm (such as the E18 project and the LV 265 upgrade).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2013, 03:00 AM   #1674
Shifty2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The main network was completed by 1972. Only the E4 gap was closed in 1991 indeed, and Essingeleden was restriped to 2x4 lanes. However this added only 2 or 3 kilometers to the network. After 2000 the Södra länken was developed, now followed by the Norra länken extension and several projects in suburban Stockholm (such as the E18 project and the LV 265 upgrade).
You should also add riksväg 73 to nynäshamn, norrortsleden and the proposed LV 259 aka Södertörnsleden. All of these including several other projects (including norra länken, E18 Hjulsta-Kista and LV 265, like you mentioned) will add plenty of capacity to the swedish roadnetwork.
Old June 1st, 2013, 12:03 PM   #1675
kubam4a1

Likes (Received): 6

Nevertheless, both the large western beltway and the eastern were to be completed by 2010, which was abolished, and resulted in congestion.

As far as Helsinki are concerned, from on-the-map look it seems that the basic access road network does exist, where are the bottlenecks? Any plans to remove them? I read here that Ring 3 was recently modified.
Old June 1st, 2013, 12:58 PM   #1676
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubam4a1 View Post
As far as Helsinki are concerned, from on-the-map look it seems that the basic access road network does exist, where are the bottlenecks? Any plans to remove them? I read here that Ring 3 was recently modified.
Most of the network is in place. There are bottlenecks, of course, like in any other metropolitan area.

There are a few traffic light controlled intersections at the both ends of the Ring 1 to be removed. Some sections if the road will be upgraded to 3+3 lanes. A massive upgrade work in the Leppävaara area was completed last year.

The south end junction of the Ring 2 is a disaster. The upgrade plans are in place but the money is missing. The north leg (up to the road 3/E12) of the Ring 2 has been postponed until the undetermined future.

The middle section of the Ring 3 was recently upgraded by removing all level crossings. The section to the west of 3/E12 will be slightly upgraded by adding lanes and modernizing the junctions.

The radial roads are rather congested at the west side of the city. The motorway 51 is being extended and due to complete this year. The 1/E18 is very congested at the outbound direction, but no plans exist to ease the situation.

As the most of the growth of the Metropolitan area takes place outside of the Ring 3, I would expect most of the construction activities in the future to take place there.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2013, 09:06 PM   #1677
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

The construction of the northern link in 1989. The last bottleneck of the E4 in the Stockholm area at that time. All photos by me. I regret I didn't take more photos but back then photography was an expensive hobby.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old June 1st, 2013, 09:24 PM   #1678
dj4life

Likes (Received): 48597

Viva Volvolandia!
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2013, 09:37 PM   #1679
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4life View Post
Viva Volvolandia!
Yes and check out the 2nd photo. To the right on the bridge an orange Saab 99CC. How often do you see those today ?

image hosted on flickr

Västra Skogen Solna, Stockholm 1989

dj4life, riiga liked this post
Old June 2nd, 2013, 09:08 PM   #1680
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

I remember taking that little city street part of the E4 many times. In a way it's sad they didn't go building a tunnel from right by Västra Skogen to Haga Norra. That's pretty much the only part of the unbuilt 1960s motorways of Stockholm I think would have been great to have - as a motorway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
The construction of the northern link in 1989. The last bottleneck of the E4 in the Stockholm area at that time. All photos by me. I regret I didn't take more photos but back then photography was an expensive hobby.
[...]
Could you post that in the Stockholm Transport & Infrastructure thread in the local forum too? I'm sure there's people who'd love to see it there who don't check out this thread much.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote