daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 3rd, 2013, 05:12 AM   #1681
RV

Likes (Received): 275

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Most of the network is in place. There are bottlenecks, of course, like in any other metropolitan area.

There are a few traffic light controlled intersections at the both ends of the Ring 1 to be removed. Some sections if the road will be upgraded to 3+3 lanes. A massive upgrade work in the Leppävaara area was completed last year.

The south end junction of the Ring 2 is a disaster. The upgrade plans are in place but the money is missing. The north leg (up to the road 3/E12) of the Ring 2 has been postponed until the undetermined future.

The middle section of the Ring 3 was recently upgraded by removing all level crossings. The section to the west of 3/E12 will be slightly upgraded by adding lanes and modernizing the junctions.

The radial roads are rather congested at the west side of the city. The motorway 51 is being extended and due to complete this year. The 1/E18 is very congested at the outbound direction, but no plans exist to ease the situation.

As the most of the growth of the Metropolitan area takes place outside of the Ring 3, I would expect most of the construction activities in the future to take place there.
The worst bottleneck with no plans at all is Ring 1 from Tuusula motorway to E75 with 2+2 lanes, AADT up to 80 000 and no upgrade plans! So is E12 south of Ring 3 with also very low-standard geometry. So the problem of the radials is that there are several sections with AADT higher than 50 000 but just 2+2 lanes and no plans or very far plans for upgrade and nothing happening in the nearby years.

Ring 3 was upgraded just partly - the third lanes on a section of AADT up to 90 000 and the completion of the junction with E12 is still missing and was moved recently to the future.
RV no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2013, 12:21 PM   #1682
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV View Post
The worst bottleneck with no plans at all is Ring 1 from Tuusula motorway to E75 with 2+2 lanes, AADT up to 80 000 and no upgrade plans! So is E12 south of Ring 3 with also very low-standard geometry. So the problem of the radials is that there are several sections with AADT higher than 50 000 but just 2+2 lanes and no plans or very far plans for upgrade and nothing happening in the nearby years.

Ring 3 was upgraded just partly - the third lanes on a section of AADT up to 90 000 and the completion of the junction with E12 is still missing and was moved recently to the future.
203 years since the not-so-peaceful separation, shouldn't we move to FIN-thread...?

Swede liked this post
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2013, 05:09 PM   #1683
MattiG

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
203 years since the not-so-peaceful separation, shouldn't we move to FIN-thread...?
Refocusing to Sweden...

The fundamental difference between road network in Stockholm and Helsinki is that Finland made a very long-sighted decision on 1960s to build the city bypass in 15-20 km distance from the heart of the capital. Sweden decided to build Essingeleden instead.

Now, Sweden is creating something similar, the Stockholm bypass, with a huge cost and zillions of nimbys shouting not in my backyard. 50 years earlier, it would have had much easier, despite the geographical challenges.

I wonder why the Rv55 Norrköping-Uppsala has never been developed a competitive transport corridor to be an alternative to routing the traffic through Stockholm. The Uppsala-Enköping section is ok, but the remaining ones resemble a rural village road from the past.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2013, 04:50 PM   #1684
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Quote:
Now, Sweden is creating something similar, the Stockholm bypass, with a huge cost and zillions of nimbys shouting not in my backyard. 50 years earlier, it would have had much easier, despite the geographical challenges.
Not so much nimbys actually. Most of us yimbys are against it too, it'll just lead to more traffic, more sprawl and cost way too much. The money is more needed to build subways instead. Also, 3-4 smaller vconnections in the form of bridges would be cheaper and better.

Quote:
I wonder why the Rv55 Norrköping-Uppsala has never been developed a competitive transport corridor to be an alternative to routing the traffic through Stockholm. The Uppsala-Enköping section is ok, but the remaining ones resemble a rural village road from the past.
Actually... most of the traffic ALREADY goes that way. The traffic on Essingeleden almost all have destinations in or come from the Stockholm region.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2013, 08:50 PM   #1685
dj4life

Likes (Received): 48600

By the way, Fredhällstunneln (a part of Essingeleden) is one of the busiest tunnels in Europe. Essingeleden from above:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essingeleden
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 08:30 PM   #1686
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

National road 34. A 2+1 road at this section.

Temp at 6PM Sunny and ca 22 C. No rain for weeks.

geometarkv liked this post
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 09:23 PM   #1687
Shifty2k5

Likes (Received): 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post

National road 34. A 2+1 road at this section.

Temp at 6PM Sunny and ca 22 C. No rain for weeks.
Nice pics, keep up the good work!
Shifty2k5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 05:52 PM   #1688
Aphelion

Likes (Received): 20

Today the swedish road and railroad authority presented the infrastructure plan for 2014-2025: http://www.trafikverket.se/Aktuellt/...met-2014-2025/
Aphelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 10:11 AM   #1689
Aphelion

Likes (Received): 20

New photos of the E22 Rolsberga-Fogdarp construction works:

Aphelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 10:45 AM   #1690
Autobahnftw

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphelion View Post
Today the swedish road and railroad authority presented the infrastructure plan for 2014-2025: http://www.trafikverket.se/Aktuellt/...met-2014-2025/
Really disappointed, the bypass Stockholm should be removed in its current form. It is stupid to waste money and build a long tunnel even if there are no mountains. It would be much better if they first build östra länken and also finnish e18 rosenkälla söderhall which also wasnt in the plan.
Autobahnftw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 11:31 AM   #1691
MattiG

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahnftw View Post
It is stupid to waste money and build a long tunnel even if there are no mountains.
Interesting.

It is the first time I hear that having mountains is a prerequisite to building tunnels. Usually, their purpose is to enable making new roads without causing major harm to the existing infrastructure.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 12:12 PM   #1692
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahnftw View Post
Really disappointed, the bypass Stockholm should be removed in its current form. It is stupid to waste money and build a long tunnel even if there are no mountains. It would be much better if they first build östra länken and also finnish e18 rosenkälla söderhall which also wasnt in the plan.
I'm in favour of the alternative Diagonal Ulvsunda which was scrapped for no obvious reason other than lobbying.
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 01:52 PM   #1693
javimix19

Likes (Received): 1328

Hello, I'm learning to much in Skyscraper forum. I have a question:

- There are some stretchs unfinished in swedish motorway system, why? I ask this because Sweden is one of the richest country in the world and it has the potenciality to built the roads that the government wants, as it?

(for example, Motorway 40 (E45) between Fristad and Tompa is unfinished, and is the main connection between Goteburg and Stockholm

- Is the government planned to built E18 and E20 motorways?

- And last question, in Sweden motorways have not toll? I see Google Maps and only I see a few motorways with tolls. (In Stockholm)

Thank you and have a nice day.
javimix19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #1694
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19416

The growth of the Swedish motorway network was rather slow initially. It wasn't until the 1990s that longer stretches of continuous motorway were available.

On the other hand nearly the entire current Stockholm motorway system was completed by 1972, except for the southern and northern links which were constructed after 2000.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

javimix19 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 04:35 PM   #1695
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by javimix19 View Post
There are some stretchs unfinished in swedish motorway system, why? I ask this because Sweden is one of the richest country in the world and it has the potenciality to built the roads that the government wants, as it? (for example, Motorway 40 (E45) between Fristad and Tompa is unfinished, and is the main connection between Goteburg and Stockholm
Well, there is not really enough traffic to build an extensive motorway system in Sweden. We have a great network of national roads that are not motorway-classed and that is how it will remain I guess. They have been slowly finishing some missing links, but it will probably take until 2025 or 2030.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javimix19 View Post
And last question, in Sweden motorways have not toll? I see Google Maps and only I see a few motorways with tolls. (In Stockholm)
No toll, no vignette. All roads are free to use, even ferries that are part of the national network. The only exceptions are the Svinesund Bridge to Norway, the Öresund Bridge to Denmark and the congestion charge in Stockholm and Gothenburg.

javimix19 liked this post
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 05:03 PM   #1696
RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The growth of the Swedish motorway network was rather slow initially. It wasn't until the 1990s that longer stretches of continuous motorway were available.

On the other hand nearly the entire current Stockholm motorway system was completed by 1972, except for the southern and northern links which were constructed after 2000.
It should be noted, that these new narrow motorway-kind 2+2-laned roads in Sweden would not be considered as motorways in many countries.
Old June 25th, 2013, 04:00 PM   #1697
RV

I was really shocked when I read that the worlds first depressed urban expressway was actually opened in Sweden in 1944! The construction of the so called Södergadan begun already in 1937, and it was replaced by a tunnel in the 1980's.

http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%B6dergatan,_Stockholm

http://www.historiskastockholm.se/sp...den-sodergatan

Anyways, could anyone tell me the story of Södergatan??

Last edited by RV; August 12th, 2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old June 25th, 2013, 04:05 PM   #1698
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The M-8 Freeway in Detroit opened in 1942 and is usually quoted as the first depressed freeway in the world. It was also one of the first 2x3 freeways.
Old June 25th, 2013, 05:15 PM   #1699
RV

Well, the second one being in Sweden that early is a real surprise!
Old June 27th, 2013, 02:54 PM   #1700
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Update on Norra länken, June 2013. (English subs)