daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 6th, 2014, 04:01 PM   #1901
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19392

E4 Sundsvall

A new aerial tour of the E4 Sundsvall motorway project.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2014, 04:29 PM   #1902
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E22 Malmö - Kristianstad

A new segment of E22 will open on May 26 - with restrictions. 110 km/h will be allowed from 19 June onwards. It's the Rolsberga - Fogdarp section.

http://www.trafikverket.se/Privat/Pr...as-for-trafik/

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

MichiH liked this post
Old May 9th, 2014, 09:29 PM   #1903
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

I have a question about road safety improvements in Sweden, concerning 2+1 roads upgrade from basic 2 lanes undivided main roads.
Have they really improved road safety and reduced fatalities in your country, and moreover, what was the economical cost to built them?
A study showing that would be great.
I need an answer for the Polish forum .
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 09:36 PM   #1904
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

That's comparing apples and oranges
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 09:38 PM   #1905
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I googled for "2+1 väg kostnad" and got this result: http://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get...FULLTEXT01.pdf

It's from 2002, so a little dated, but it says in the summary that the cost varies from 600 - 2500 SEK per meter. Which is approximately € 66,000 - € 275,000 per kilometer for restriping and adding a median cable barrier. It very likely does not include any paving (or widening).
Old May 9th, 2014, 11:33 PM   #1906
Natomasken

Likes (Received): 40

Are there any online maps that differentiate between 2+1 and 1+1 roads? Since 2+1's are so famous in Sweden, I'd like to see how extensive they are. I thought ViaMichelin might, since their printed maps are very detailed about the number of lanes, but their online maps are much simplified and don't give this information. (I wish Google maps was better about this, but they don't even differentiate non-motorway 2+2 divided roads from 1+1 roads.)
Australia: ACT, NSW, VIC
Roadnerd over 40 years!
Natomasken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 12:21 AM   #1907
RV

Likes (Received): 275

They are so stupid! Only one lane, my God how much can that cost? Sadly this infection has been caught also by Finnish road planners...

Blackraven liked this post
RV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 12:33 AM   #1908
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maynard View Post
I have a question about road safety improvements in Sweden, concerning 2+1 roads upgrade from basic 2 lanes undivided main roads.
Have they really improved road safety and reduced fatalities in your country, and moreover, what was the economical cost to built them?
A study showing that would be great.
I need an answer for the Polish forum .
Now you have to be very careful...

Most of the Swedish 2+1 roads are not a result from a major upgrade. Instead, they took the existing 2.75+3.75+3.75+2.75=13.00 m roads, repaved them to hide the road markings, and converted them to 1.00+3.75+3.50+3.75+1.00 = 13.00 m roads by doing not much more than adding the middle barrier. That is why they were able to open the first few thousands kilometres so quickly. The cost per kilometre was about 20-25% of upgrading a 10.00 m wide 1+1 road to 15.75 m 2+1 road in Finland (in similar climate conditions).

The new 2+1 roads are somewhat wider, usually 14.00 metres. Comparing the cost of newbuilds to the initial quick and dirty solution might lead to misleading conclusions.

To summarise: If you happen to have wide enough 1+1 roads, converting them to 2+1 roads is rather cheap. Everything else is expensive.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 12:43 AM   #1909
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maynard View Post
I found a publication from 2009 evaluating the 2+1 roads, available here. It's in Swedish (although with an English summary).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natomasken View Post
Are there any online maps that differentiate between 2+1 and 1+1 roads? Since 2+1's are so famous in Sweden, I'd like to see how extensive they are.
As far as I know, there are no maps that do this. However, Trafikverket has maps with administrative data for the roads. If you go here and select "Väguppgifter" from the box to the right and then "Vägtyp", it should show different classifications of the roads, with those saying "mötesfri" probably being 2+1 or 1+1. You might have to zoom in a bit for the roads to be colourised. The site seems a bit shaky to use though, I can't get it to show the data at the moment. :\

Natomasken liked this post
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 02:28 PM   #1910
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natomasken View Post
Are there any online maps that differentiate between 2+1 and 1+1 roads? Since 2+1's are so famous in Sweden, I'd like to see how extensive they are. I thought ViaMichelin might, since their printed maps are very detailed about the number of lanes, but their online maps are much simplified and don't give this information. (I wish Google maps was better about this, but they don't even differentiate non-motorway 2+2 divided roads from 1+1 roads.)
I would say that up to 90 % of all national roads are at least 2+1 at some sections, usually where there is a hilly part, to make it easier for overtaking heavy vehicles.

In my area: Östergötland there is only the road 23 which is not a national 2+1 road but 1+1 with barrier (no overtaking possible) at some places.

If you use google maps just go street view and you will se what roads are 2+1 or not.

Uphill at the 34 east of Borensberg. Otherwise a 1+1 road.

The 35 is mainly a 1+1 road but at some uphill sections it has 2+1 lanes.

1+1 with barrier on the 23 south of Linköping

Secondary road 636 (unmarked lowest category) with 2+1 lanes and 100km/h speed limit.
Previous trunkroad and parallell road to the E4 motorway

National road 55 is 2+1 all the way between Norrköping and Katrineholm.

Road 50 has 2+1 lanes north of Motala.

Last edited by NordikNerd; May 10th, 2014 at 02:40 PM.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 09:41 PM   #1911
Natomasken

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by riiga View Post
As far as I know, there are no maps that do this. However, Trafikverket has maps with administrative data for the roads. If you go here and select "Väguppgifter" from the box to the right and then "Vägtyp", it should show different classifications of the roads, with those saying "mötesfri" probably being 2+1 or 1+1. You might have to zoom in a bit for the roads to be colourised. The site seems a bit shaky to use though, I can't get it to show the data at the moment. :\
Thanks! I will take a look at it.
Australia: ACT, NSW, VIC
Roadnerd over 40 years!
Natomasken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 01:48 AM   #1912
RV

Likes (Received): 275

But why do they spend money on crap instead of building a narrow 2+2-lane-road??
RV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 08:17 AM   #1913
Nils de Gothia

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV View Post
But why do they spend money on crap instead of building a narrow 2+2-lane-road??
Whereas Germany built thousands of kilometers of Autobahns from the 50´s to the 80´s, Sweden only built a couple of hundred km. On the other hand, some 5000km of 13m wide highways were built. They proved to be really dangerous, installing a median barrier for 600 SEK/m (without repaving) or 2500 SEK/m (including repaving and moving the road ridge) isn´t crap. Many of these roads don´t have very high traffic volumes.
Nils de Gothia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 12:34 PM   #1914
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV View Post
The AADT doesn't warrant that on most roads, and 2+1 is cheaper.
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 04:15 PM   #1915
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E18, Stockholm

The official opening of E18 Hjulsta - Kista is on 20 May 2014.

The traffic opening of E18 was on 23 September 2013: http://www.trafikverket.se/Privat/Pr...en-for-trafik/
Old May 14th, 2014, 05:21 PM   #1916
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafikverket
Vi firar att det har blivit smidigare och säkrare att ta sig fram på sträckan. Nu kan fler människor och företag flytta till områdena runt E18. Det har också blivit enklare att ta sig till Järvafältet.

När: Tisdagen den 20 maj, klockan 14.00

Var: Under broarna vid trafikplats Rinkeby

Du kan ta dig till invigningsplatsen genom att promenera eller cykla. Invigningsbuss avgår från Rinkeby Torg kl. 13.30, 13.45 och 14.00 samt går tillbaka efter invigningens slut. Det går inte att ta sig till invigningsplatsen med bil.

Från klockan 14.00 bjuder vi på kaffe, saft och bulle.

Invigningstalare är infrastrukturminister Catharina Elmsäter-Svärd. Programvärdar är Alexandra Pascalidou, journalist/författare och Thomas Andersson, VD för Kista Science City. För underhållningen svarar Kulturskolan i Spånga-Tensta/Rinkeby-Kista.

Välkommen!
The section I bolded? "You can't get to the opening ceremony site by car." For a motorway opening.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 12:41 AM   #1917
kalle_sg

Likes (Received): 2244

Well, of course. The road leading to that place is closed, isn't it so? Going back home by car shouldn't be a problem though
kalle_sg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 03:07 AM   #1918
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by riiga View Post
The AADT doesn't warrant that on most roads, and 2+1 is cheaper.
Is it much cheaper? Considering Swedish geography, I wonder why they don't do 2x2, with one 2 lane carriageway through the forest, and a wide forest median before the other carriagway like often in the USA (I mean like 20 or 50 m of trees between each direction) it uses lots of land, but I would think the land mostly free?

RV liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 10:42 AM   #1919
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 585

Why waste space with a wide median anyway. It would require more expensive bridges and underpasses aswell.
Old May 15th, 2014, 11:43 AM   #1920
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Is it much cheaper? Considering Swedish geography, I wonder why they don't do 2x2, with one 2 lane carriageway through the forest, and a wide forest median before the other carriagway like often in the USA (I mean like 20 or 50 m of trees between each direction) it uses lots of land, but I would think the land mostly free?
Why would they do?

The land is far from being free. Do not forget the forest=timber=money rule in effect in the Nordic countries. According to the statistics of the Swedish Forest Agency, the price the forest land was about 56,000 SEK/hectar in average in 2010, varying from 34,000 in the north and 84,000 in the south. Converting to euros and taking some inflation into account, we get approximate prices 7000, 4300 and 10500 EUR respectively. If the road in question would be 12-50-12 meters wide, that would need about a 95 metres wide opening, thus 9.5 hectares per one kilometre of road. The cost of land only would be 67,000 EUR per km in average, varying from 40,000 to 100,000.

The cost to build a road correlates rather well to the area of the road. Why to double the cost for no reason?

Rebasepoiss, pmaciej7 liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote