daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 15th, 2014, 02:51 PM   #1921
Shifty2k5

Likes (Received): 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post

Is it much cheaper? Considering Swedish geography, I wonder why they don't do 2x2, with one 2 lane carriageway through the forest, and a wide forest median before the other carriagway like often in the USA (I mean like 20 or 50 m of trees between each direction) it uses lots of land, but I would think the land mostly free?
First of all, why build a wide 2x2 motorway through a forest if no one is going to use it? That would be a massive waste of taxpayer money.
Secondly, there are already hundred of kilometers of wide median motorways in Sweden, for example E4 Stockholm-Gävle, E4 in småland and östra Götaland and E18.
These roads were primarily built in the 90's. This is a costly and environmentally unsound way to design roads.

pmaciej7 liked this post
Shifty2k5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2014, 04:24 PM   #1922
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

The Swedish soil is mostly granite and rock. Constructing a second carriageway is therefore much more expensive than in the prairies, even if both lands are relatively flat. And most of Sweden is not entirely flat.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 04:44 PM   #1923
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1662

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalle_sg View Post
Well, of course. The road leading to that place is closed, isn't it so? Going back home by car shouldn't be a problem though
Nope! The motorway has been open for a few months already, it's the grand opening ceremony that's about to happen. The ceremony will be underneath all the ramps by Rinkeby tho, so there is simply no public street/road going to the site.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 04:52 PM   #1924
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A problem with official ceremonies for roads that are already open to traffic is lack of parking for people who want to attend the ceremony. Unless there happens to be a large parking of a supermarket or other facility in the area.

Most opening ceremonies are pretty boring anyway. It's much more fun if you can walk or bike across a new road.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Swede, Grotlaufen liked this post
Old May 15th, 2014, 06:33 PM   #1925
Shifty2k5

Some assorted pics from E4 Sundsvall

The railroad will be moved to the new bridge soon

MichiH, Agusia liked this post
Old May 15th, 2014, 06:42 PM   #1926
Shifty2k5

Some pics from E18 Hjulsta-Kista

There's really very little material from this massive project, so I've sent an email to Trafikverket and asked them if they couldn't do a driving video of the new road . Let's see if they respond.

Agusia liked this post
Old May 16th, 2014, 05:09 PM   #1927
RV

Likes (Received): 275

At least in Sweden they paint decent 3rd lines. If ever an expressway is widened in Finland, the third lane is always a bus-lane ignoring high ADT... It is also really confusing on what comes to road markings, and the painting seems like it's gonna turn.
RV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 11:04 PM   #1928
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

But look on the bright side, RV, in Texas, sure, many lanes of highway and you can drive without traffic congestion. But try to find a good sauna? Everyone inside is creepy and trying to hit on you and you go outside, no frozen lake to jump into...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty2k5 View Post
First of all, why build a wide 2x2 motorway through a forest if no one is going to use it? That would be a massive waste of taxpayer money.
Secondly, there are already hundred of kilometers of wide median motorways in Sweden, for example E4 Stockholm-Gävle, E4 in småland and östra Götaland and E18.
These roads were primarily built in the 90's. This is a costly and environmentally unsound way to design roads.

What I mean more is like what you see here:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pl...b0e8a1c5537415
Instead of blasting more of the granite rock because of hilly terrain, they placed the carriageways varying distance to have the minimum impact on the terrain (flattest route). But at the same time you get some advantage, since nice forest in middle means at night, no glare from the other cars... I would think the environmental impact to be less than keeping all together... even if elk runs across the road, he has only half as much to cross before finding forest again.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 08:49 AM   #1929
Aphelion

Likes (Received): 20

Asphalt works have started on the new E22 Sölve-Stensnäs, completion is set for December 2014. These pictures are from the very eastern/northern end (link).

Mirror's Edge, Shifty2k5 liked this post
Aphelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 12:13 PM   #1930
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

You can eliminate glare by installing plastic pieces on the central barrier aswell - never seen them in the Nordics tough common in Belgium. We wouldn't want elk on the motorway at all. Hence we build a fence.
Old May 20th, 2014, 03:59 PM   #1931
Shifty2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
You can eliminate glare by installing plastic pieces on the central barrier aswell - never seen them in the Nordics tough common in Belgium. We wouldn't want elk on the motorway at all. Hence we build a fence.
You sometimes see them on ramps or when two roads run parallel, but they are very uncommon indeed.

Two examples that I know of:

http://goo.gl/maps/fe77B

and

http://goo.gl/maps/7BENa
Old May 20th, 2014, 11:12 PM   #1932
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1407

Traffic on the E4 outside of Linköping. For the moment there are 3 entrances from the E4 to Linköping. East, Central & West.
I think we will se a fourth one at the overpass on this photo, maybe in 10 years or so.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 11:41 PM   #1933
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

At the moment it's looking more like Linköping Östra vill be converted to a fourway interchange and the old backroad to Ekängen behind Gärstadverken will be connected to it.
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2014, 09:31 AM   #1934
Mirror's Edge
Free the Nordic people!

Likes (Received): 2636

It's crazy that hasn't happen yet, with all the traffic to Gärstad and the Cloetta Center + the other arena or even just to Anders Gymnasium.

PS:Jag bodde i Ö Harg i många år och körde på den där bron varje dag..
Mirror's Edge está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2014, 12:10 PM   #1935
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror's Edge View Post
It's crazy that hasn't happen yet, with all the traffic to Gärstad and the Cloetta Center + the other arena or even just to Anders Gymnasium.

PS:Jag bodde i Ö Harg i många år och körde på den där bron varje dag..
Of course. If there is a motorway close to a major city it should be used not only for long distance traffic.
Look at the E4 at Jönköping which has more exits and comes to use much better for the local traffic.

Overpass for the road Ekängen/Gärstad-Cloetta Center.
Ekängen is growing and there are many commuters living there because it is a sprawling upscale cottage "suburb".

Exit Linköping East
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 02:30 PM   #1936
MattiG

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post

I have always wondered what are those islands around Swedish cities. Never found them on maps.

devo, Swede liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 02:43 PM   #1937
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

It's short for östra = east.
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 05:47 PM   #1938
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Riksväg 76, Norrtälje

The western bypass of Norrtälje will open to traffic on 6 June.

http://www.trafikverket.se/Privat/Pr...-Vastra-Vagen/
Old May 22nd, 2014, 11:16 PM   #1939
Adde

Likes (Received): 465

I'm really conflicted about the Norrtälje bypass. On the one hand, the road through the town became one never ending traffic jam for three months each summer, so the bypass will be great for both locals and all the people with summer homes in the region. But unfortunately, there's been a massive expansion of big box stores at both the northern and southern end of the bypass. All that external shopping is already killing local businesses in the center of town.

Swede liked this post
Adde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 11:28 PM   #1940
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That has more to do with zoning than with the road itself.