daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Seattle

Old April 25th, 2010, 06:43 PM   #941
CityView Jim

Likes (Received): 277

Development follows in your shadows!
CityView Jim está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 26th, 2010, 12:09 AM   #942
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 406

I also live in a midrise a block from my old one. It's MYSTERIOUS!
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 01:04 AM   #943
alexjonlin

Likes (Received): 166

That slum lord in the Roosevelt neighborhood, Hugh Sisley, is now buying a property just south of the Pizza Hut at 65th & 15th and there are rumors that he will buy the Pizza Hut itself. If so, he would own all four corners and all would be open for development. Of course my whole neighborhood (at least the ones on the email listserv) is super against it, but I mean do they really like a couple super crappy rental houses and a windowless pizza hut with a parking lot in front of it more than they would like a four-story apartment building with lots of nice new retail at the ground level and more eyes on the street to stop crime? I don't get NIMBYs.
alexjonlin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 03:14 AM   #944
Seasun

Likes (Received): 107

I think the neighbors are upset about relatively very tall buildings in a single family/small commercial district and would be happy with 4-story or maybe even 5 or 6 story buildings. is there any more current info than this: http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/arc...s-in-roosevelt
Seasun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 04:28 AM   #945
alexjonlin

The neighborhood association says now that it won't accept anything over its plan of 40 feet for all those blocks. That article is misleading about the 165 feet; that's one of the four alternatives being analyzed in the EIS. Those are the neighborhoods recommendation of 40 feet height limit, 85 feet, 125 feet, and 165 feet. (in all of them, those are the highest densities in the project, with heights tapering down as it gets closer to the single-family houses). I think there would be no problem with an 85 foot height limit for the block of the development that's one block from the future Link station, 65 feet for some of the other blocks, and 40 feet for the half-blocks bordering on single-family houses. 165 or even 125 feet is ridiculous, but something like what I just proposed would end up being great for the neighborhood.
Old April 28th, 2010, 01:26 AM   #946
bgwah
honk!!!

Likes (Received): 144

I think it would be cool to have some 16 story buildings there, even if the land owner's actions are despicable...
bgwah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 01:52 AM   #947
Vashon118
Bus & ferry dude

Likes (Received): 413

Stadium Technology Center (05/08):

Vashon118 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 03:53 AM   #948
alexjonlin

Is this building for anything in particular? It's always seemed kind of mysterious to me, and it seems like a weird location. But I bet in 10 or 20 years it'll be surrounded by buildings like it or taller.
Old May 12th, 2010, 06:22 AM   #949
Vashon118
Bus & ferry dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjonlin View Post
Is this building for anything in particular? It's always seemed kind of mysterious to me, and it seems like a weird location. But I bet in 10 or 20 years it'll be surrounded by buildings like it or taller.
It's considered a "flex use" building (whatever that means). There's a couple of mid-rise (6 - 7 story) buildings proposed where the parking lot is.

Anyway, here's some more updates...

A.L. Humphrey House (05/11):

Bakhita Gardens (05/11):

Old May 12th, 2010, 09:06 AM   #950
bgwah
honk!!!

Wow. Cheapshitcondos is going to have a field day with that first one.
Old May 12th, 2010, 09:10 AM   #951
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgwah View Post
Wow. Cheapshitcondos is going to have a field day with that first one.
As far as I know, both of those are low income housing projects. Don't know that I'd expect opulent architecture with either of those.
Old May 12th, 2010, 05:01 PM   #952
CityView Jim

Likes (Received): 277

UW Medicine is expanding its campus. Rumored for a while, but now they have a groundbreaking date: July 2011. Ok, its a bit far off but still.

Three buildings will be built (one at a time) corner of Mercer and Dexter. No great loss to existing structures. Most notable are the Barking Lounge and the old US Bank branch building. I think Arthur Murray has space there.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/realestate...ves/205485.asp
CityView Jim está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 07:33 PM   #953
Vashon118
Bus & ferry dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
As far as I know, both of those are low income housing projects.
Correct. I haven't seen opening dates for either, but I suspect they both will be open by the end of the year.
Old May 13th, 2010, 02:24 AM   #954
alexjonlin

Ugh just cause they're low-income doesn't mean they have to look like shit. Why can't they design something that looks good? This just perpetuates one of the NIMBYs' biggest claims, that any mid-rise condo or apartment buildings will necessarily look ugly.
Old May 13th, 2010, 03:49 AM   #955
meku

Likes (Received): 49

Hurray for much needed low income housing, but oh boy. I share the many negative opinions about both projects - and that's a big euphemism. I just can't believe this is the only thing they could come up with, within their budget.

Just awful, truly truly bad. Bad. So bad.
meku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 08:21 AM   #956
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 116

Well... okay, I don't disagree that its pretty ugo... But I don't see how they could have done differently. They're obviously on a tight budget since you're not going to spend opulently on subsidized housing. So that means the shape of the building is going to be as simple and efficient as possible (read, box). And they aren't going to be able to splurge on more expensive siding materials like brick (tho I guess Bakhita gardens does have some). And on top of that, this corugated metal siding shit seems to be en vogue at the moment.

So no, not pleased with it, but not exactly offended by it either.
Old May 13th, 2010, 03:53 PM   #957
Capitol Hill

Likes (Received): 731

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
Well... okay, I don't disagree that its pretty ugo... But I don't see how they could have done differently. They're obviously on a tight budget since you're not going to spend opulently on subsidized housing. So that means the shape of the building is going to be as simple and efficient as possible (read, box). And they aren't going to be able to splurge on more expensive siding materials like brick (tho I guess Bakhita gardens does have some). And on top of that, this corugated metal siding shit seems to be en vogue at the moment.

So no, not pleased with it, but not exactly offended by it either.
I'm in agreement on this one. I'm curious what others would do differently? Knowing that there is going to have to be affordable materials, and I imagine that they go for the maximum amount of units, what would be a solution to making affordable housing more attractive? It is a tough design challenge, and maybe our best bet would be to have an architectural competition. Right now with firms jobs drying up, maybe they'd be able to come up with some creative solutions.
Capitol Hill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 09:19 PM   #958
bgwah
honk!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitol Hill View Post
I'm in agreement on this one. I'm curious what others would do differently? Knowing that there is going to have to be affordable materials, and I imagine that they go for the maximum amount of units, what would be a solution to making affordable housing more attractive? It is a tough design challenge, and maybe our best bet would be to have an architectural competition. Right now with firms jobs drying up, maybe they'd be able to come up with some creative solutions.
I dunno, man... I fully realize that affordable housing projects are rarely architectural masterpieces, but I feel like I've seen plenty that aren't nearly as ugly as this.
Old May 14th, 2010, 12:07 AM   #959
meku

Likes (Received): 49

I can't say what I would do different, because I don't know their budget. There's plenty of examples of affordable housing built in recent years that isn't pure crap. Shape of the building has nothing to do with it - look at The Broadway Crossing on Capitol Hill, it's a box but a well designed one. Another example of decent affordable housing project built in the last decade is the Pantages Apartments (also on Cap Hill).
meku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2010, 02:52 AM   #960
SteveM

Likes (Received): 3

I'm not sure how this affects the design, but both A.L. Humphrey House and Bakhita Gardens are a different class of afforadable housing than Pantages and Broadway Crossing. Pantages and Broadway Crossing are basically normal apartment buildings that happen to have been built by an agency that takes advantage of affordable housing subsidies -- so people living there are basically just lower middle class, and as likely to be sane or addicted to substances as in any other apartment building. A.L. Humphrey House and Bakhita Gardens were built by agencies that deal with people just off the streets, typically with serious substance abuse or sanity issues. That might explain, say, the lack of balconies.

That said, I don't disagree that both are ugly. They'll fade into the background once the construction is done, but they'll always be ugly.
SteveM no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
apartment, downtown, seattle