daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old October 3rd, 2007, 06:51 AM   #21
Middle-Island
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Long Island, NY USA
Posts: 946
Likes (Received): 3187

I wouldn't call it a boring design. Has some interesting irregularities, although subtle. Looks good on the outskirts the way Cira Center does in Philadelphia.
__________________
< New York 27
Montauk 94 >
Middle-Island no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2007, 02:41 PM   #22
Kika
Better United
 
Kika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Barcelona SPAIN - Novum Castellum CH
Posts: 191
Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake View Post
I'm not kidding you

The point is that 80% of this 7,4mio live in a area of 40% of the country called "Mittelland" which is populated in ~ the same dense like the "Ruhrgebiet".

The table isn't correct at all (Geneva has over 200'000 inhabitants - Zurich over 370'000 in the proper city area)

There are other points that you have to attend when speaking about the size of the Swiss cities:
-the proper cities areas are mostly not according to the real city-boundaries which already gives a wrong image of the size
-Swiss cities are living from/for their agglomerations, which means that for example Zurich (talking about the proper city area now) a "day-population" (people working, "living" in the city but having home somewhere far outside) of up to a million (the numbers vary depending on the source)


but you're right that Zurich isn't same size a Tokio or London

I am sorry to disagreee with you once again but Geneva never had a population over 200’000 people and Zurich just recently reached 350’000 people being one of the single cities that keeps growing in Switzerland by the end of year 2006. According to the official Swiss statistics (http://www.bfs.admin.ch/bfs/portal/fr/index/news/publikationen.Document.98867.pdf) the exact figures for the 31st of December 2006 are the following:

Zurich: 350’125 (347’517 - 01.01.2006)
Geneva: 178’603 (178’722 - 01.01.2006)
Basel: 163’081 (163’930 - 01.01.2006)
Bern: 122'178 (122'422 - 01.01.2006)
Lausanne: 118’049 (117’388 - 01.01.2006)

Note that the whole canton of Geneva that includes most of its suburbs has a population slightly higher than 430’000 inhabitants… Thus, where is your figure of over 700’000 coming from? The figures I gave you previously are all based on official statistics http://www.citypopulation.de/Switzerland-Agglo.html and reflect much better the reality than any other website.

So of course Zurich is much smaller than Tokyo or Mexico City but Zurich is also smaller than cities like Torino, Lyon or Valencia…

By the way Zurich “Unique” airport ranks in the 18th position in the busiest European airports http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Busiest...senger_traffic.

Cheers and I am sorry for this offf topic!

__________________
L'amour plus fort que la haine...
Kika no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 03:19 PM   #23
Lake
Registered User
 
Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,521
Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kika View Post
but Zurich is also smaller than cities like Torino, Lyon or Valencia…
This is definitly wrong

The problems with the figures you're showing me here is, that these figures are not the total inhabitants because in the Swiss counting system 2 ways are used but it's to difficult for me to explain this.

Here the official stats by 1.1.2006:
370 062
source: http://www.stadt-zuerich.ch/internet...oelkerung.html


You are using data that's correct but unusefull in this discussion. This indicates you are using figures you find to prove your opinion and not the facts. The fact that you don't respond to facts beside the figures also indicates me this...

To stay on topic here please write me your answer via privat e message not here...
Lake no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 06:08 PM   #24
Kika
Better United
 
Kika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Barcelona SPAIN - Novum Castellum CH
Posts: 191
Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake View Post
This is definitly wrong

The problems with the figures you're showing me here is, that these figures are not the total inhabitants because in the Swiss counting system 2 ways are used but it's to difficult for me to explain this.

Here the official stats by 1.1.2006:
370 062
source: http://www.stadt-zuerich.ch/internet...oelkerung.html


You are using data that's correct but unusefull in this discussion. This indicates you are using figures you find to prove your opinion and not the facts. The fact that you don't respond to facts beside the figures also indicates me this...

To stay on topic here please write me your answer via privat e message not here...
The figures I used are the official statistics from Switzerland (www.bfs.admin.ch) not the ones from your city which by the way does not mention anything about the date but just the year. If you look closely even your city’s web site shows a value of 1.1 million for the agglomeration (basically the same value of the whole canton) which looks more reasonable than your figures of more than 1.5 million based on nothing so far. This either means you don’t trust the figures that your own government issues or either you have different sources that I would like you to share with me or us.

When you say that “this is definitely wrong” regarding the fact that Zurich is smaller than cities like Torino, Lyon or Valencia you are actually implicitly saying that I am right for the other facts like when I say that Geneva never reached 200’000 people, isn’t it? Nevertheless I would be curious to know on what you base your reflections. Valencia city proper has over 800’000 inhabitants and this doesn’t include any suburbs (over 1.3 million including the suburbs) so tell me how Zurich is “bigger” in terms of population than this city you obviously do not know and I could tell the same for Torino a city over 900’000 people just for the city proper (although the city keeps loosing population since several years)…

I would also like to understand why my data are not useful in this discussion particularly when saying that they are correct (if I understand you properly). Then I am sorry but I did not understand what you said when saying “This indicates you are using figures you find to prove your opinion and not the facts. The fact that you don't respond to facts beside the figures also indicates me this”…

Anyway, I visit regularly all the cities I am mentioning and Zurich or Geneva are not what I would call big cities in Europe although they are quite important in other different aspects like the role they play in an international economical aspect.

By the way, why you have Zurich City or Basel City on the sign boards of the motorways? Isn’t German the official language? I would than translate it to Zurich Stadt although I don’t see how helpful this can be for a driver…
__________________
L'amour plus fort que la haine...
Kika no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #25
Jakob
Registered User
 
Jakob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Beijing
Posts: 16,032
Likes (Received): 9065

Prime Tower, Zurich
36 floors / 126 meters


http://www.primetower.ch/d/index.php

http://www.primetower.ch/d/pdf/PrimeTower_E.pdf


Magnificent, top-class – the 126 metre high Prime tower in Zurich West has already been showered with superlatives, even during the project phase; and for very good reason. Zurich’s new landmark comprising 36 floors sets the new benchmark for commercial properties in terms of architecture, transparency, appeal and perfection.

The Zurich Prime Tower is a Swiss Prime Site project. It is situated in the heart of the city on the site of the former Maag cogwheel factory, where Zurich has been undergoing a transformation process for several years. With the construction of the Prime Tower other investors
have plans for hundreds of new apartments, parks and lawns,
shops and restaurants.

40,000 m2 floor space, 1,200 m2 office space on each floor, room for up to 2,000 workplaces: the dimensions and opportunities afforded by the Prime Tower are impressive and transform Zurich’s First Site into a five-star residence. Working here means leaving the ordinary behind you. The view across the city and lake is magnificent, the brightness provided by natural daylight inspiring and the Sky Lounge on the 35th floor just breathtaking.

The octagon-shaped Prime Tower is the project unanimously chosen as the winner of an international competition involving top-ranking architects. The decision that came out in favour of the Zurich architect team Gigon/Guyer was influenced among other things by the “crystalline exterior that stands apart from its neighbours, the fine movements and projections, the many uses of the large ground plan and the static design with the pre-stressed ceiling”.


















Jakob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 03:47 PM   #26
New_To _This_City
Dedicated Festival Fan
 
New_To _This_City's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Leeds, UK
Posts: 473
Likes (Received): 1

This is an impressive tower, I was wondering why Zurich and Geneva dont have many towers, perhaps this will kick start a skyscraper boom in Zurich!!! The views of Lake Zurich are beautiful too... I think this tower is an excellent addition to Zurich, one of my favourite cities in the world!!!
__________________
Leeds
... is good...
New_To _This_City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 10:51 PM   #27
PuertoPlata
All Yours
 
PuertoPlata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SDQ/PUJ/POP/AZS
Posts: 11,126
Likes (Received): 1275

_Wow fantastic tower.
__________________
Dominican Spotter
República Dominicana
PuertoPlata no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 02:48 PM   #28
Lake
Registered User
 
Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,521
Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kika View Post
By the way, why you have Zurich City or Basel City on the sign boards of the motorways? Isn’t German the official language? I would than translate it to Zurich Stadt although I don’t see how helpful this can be for a driver…
Thsi question show that you haven't got a real clue what you're talking about.

City is also a German word meaning Innenstadt (engl. downtown) The motorway sign "Zurich-City" means that this motorway leads direct to downtown Zurich. The official name of the Zurich downtown district is also "Zurich-City".

The figures you are using are all correct, but they cannot be used to compare with cities/areas outside of Switzerland becaus they are the _Swiss_ definition of Agglomeration/Metropolitan Area and so on. It's wrong to compare them with foreign statistics basing on the UN-Definitions of Agglomeration/Met-Area, because the Swiss definition is "smaller" (for political and some other reasons)



And BTT:

Lake no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 03:55 PM   #29
Kika
Better United
 
Kika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Barcelona SPAIN - Novum Castellum CH
Posts: 191
Likes (Received): 42


Well, first of all I think you are pushing a bit too far when saying that I “haven’t a real clue” as my question is quite fair... “Downtown” or city center (centre) is usually translated in German by “Zentrum” as it can be seen in the vast majority of the Swiss German towns… By the way, I have never heard of district called “Zurich-City” and I often visit your town. Is “Unique Airport” also German or “Swiss Railways” as seen in your airport?
Secondly, if my figures are all correct (which by the way shows that I have some clue of what I am talking about), I still do not see why they could not be compared with other foreign figures. You are saying that the Swiss definition for agglomeration is smaller but can you explain it? Where is the end of Geneva’s or Zurich’s agglomeration in your opinion? Including Lausanne for Geneva or Biel for Zurich? I am sorry but the figures I showed are true may you like or not but don’t forget that the whole Switzerland has barely 7.6 million inhabitants so don’t tell us that Zurich or Geneva are bigger than what they are as they are only medium-small cities in Europe. I am not saying this to remove some kind of glory or importance to these towns as they definitely are in other terms but not in terms of population. Bigger doesn’t necessarily mean better!
Thirdly, without willing to offend I personally think you could have saved us (or me at least) with these kinds of irrelevant comments after being quite for several weeks.

Great tower by the way, I am looking forward to seeing it erected!
__________________
L'amour plus fort que la haine...

Last edited by Kika; November 27th, 2007 at 04:00 PM.
Kika no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 04:50 PM   #30
Lake
Registered User
 
Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,521
Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kika View Post

Well, first of all I think you are pushing a bit too far when saying that I “haven’t a real clue” as my question is quite fair... “Downtown” or city center (centre) is usually translated in German by “Zentrum” as it can be seen in the vast majority of the Swiss German towns… By the way, I have never heard of district called “Zurich-City” and I often visit your town. Is “Unique Airport” also German or “Swiss Railways” as seen in your airport?
Face it: City is used as a German word standing for Innenstadt, Zentrum or whatever. So, that you never heard of this district is reason enough to tell me I'm wrong?
I don't see any arguments in your text, so I guess you just don't want to admit that you were wrong.


Quote:
You are saying that the Swiss definition for agglomeration is smaller but can you explain it?
Ask the BFS (Bundesamt für Statistik).

Your style of discussion is inappropriate. You're coming from the other side of the world and try to tell me based on a few webpages with some numbers on it and after some visits you've made that you know it better than somebody who's living here and is working in this business?

If you wouldn't mean this serious, it would be quite funny...

This will be my last off-topic post about this topic. Have fun with your unfunded opinion.
Lake no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 06:04 PM   #31
Kika
Better United
 
Kika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Barcelona SPAIN - Novum Castellum CH
Posts: 191
Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake View Post
Face it: City is used as a German word standing for Innenstadt, Zentrum or whatever. So, that you never heard of this district is reason enough to tell me I'm wrong?
I don't see any arguments in your text, so I guess you just don't want to admit that you were wrong.


Ask the BFS (Bundesamt für Statistik).

Your style of discussion is inappropriate. You're coming from the other side of the world and try to tell me based on a few webpages with some numbers on it and after some visits you've made that you know it better than somebody who's living here and is working in this business?

If you wouldn't mean this serious, it would be quite funny...

This will be my last off-topic post about this topic. Have fun with your unfunded opinion.

How old are you??
__________________
L'amour plus fort que la haine...
Kika no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 06:29 PM   #32
lpioe
Registered User
 
lpioe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,141
Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake View Post
Thsi question show that you haven't got a real clue what you're talking about.
Why are you so aggressive?
It's a legitimate question and he's right that "Zentrum" would be a more logical choice...

And if you think Zurich is bigger than Turin, Lyon or Valencia it shows that you haven't got a clue.
Do you think Zurich is the only city in the world where the agglomeration is considerably bigger than the city itself?
lpioe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 10:02 PM   #33
Lake
Registered User
 
Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,521
Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpioe View Post
Why are you so aggressive?
It's a legitimate question and he's right that "Zentrum" would be a more logical choice...
I'm not aggressive. Maybe it looks like because English is not my mothertongue...
City is a (new) German word. Why shouldn't it be used for highway signs?
Zentrum is in German more used for small citys centre, not for a downtown district.

Quote:
And if you think Zurich is bigger than Turin, Lyon or Valencia it shows that you haven't got a clue.
I don't think that and I didn't mention that anywhere in this thread.


Enough now this is a thread about the Primetower. Nothing else..Thanks
Lake no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 09:39 AM   #34
Kika
Better United
 
Kika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Barcelona SPAIN - Novum Castellum CH
Posts: 191
Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake View Post
...I don't think that and I didn't mention that anywhere in this thread.


Then look at your thread #23... Anyway, let's make peace because I think the tower will be a great add for Zurich
__________________
L'amour plus fort que la haine...
Kika no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 09:53 AM   #35
Greg
Registered User
 
Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,456
Likes (Received): 59

Prime Tower: Baubeginn im Februar

Construction starts in February 2008

28. November 2007

Das höchste Gebäude Zürichs, der Prime Tower auf dem Maag-Areal, wird von einer Arbeitsgemeinschaft unter Federführung der Losinger Construction AG gebaut.

Die Karl Steiner AG ist Partner dieser Arbeitsgemeinschaft. Baubeginn für den 126 Meter hohen Turm ist im kommenden Februar. Die Investitionen für das Projekt des Immobilienkonzerns Swiss Prime Site belaufen sich auf 355 Millionen Franken und umfassen drei weitere Gebäude auf dem Areal. Die vier Gebäude sind zurzeit zu 45 Prozent vermietet.
Greg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 01:13 PM   #36
Lake
Registered User
 
Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,521
Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kika View Post
Then look at your thread #23...
Where I said, that it's not smaller.

Since when is "not smaller" = bigger?



Thanks Greg. Do you know if this is the date when the demolition of the old buildings starts, or the day when they realy start to build?
Lake no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 03:25 PM   #37
Kika
Better United
 
Kika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Barcelona SPAIN - Novum Castellum CH
Posts: 191
Likes (Received): 42


I know that English is not your mother tongue but that doesn’t allow you to be rude and arrogant! This is what it is written on thread #23:

Originally Posted by Kika
...but Zurich is also smaller than cities like Torino, Lyon or Valencia…

Your (Lake) answer: This is definitly wrong




I think your answer is pretty clear…
Sayonara my friend!
__________________
L'amour plus fort que la haine...
Kika no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 01:17 PM   #38
Jakob
Registered User
 
Jakob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Beijing
Posts: 16,032
Likes (Received): 9065







Jakob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 01:29 PM   #39
Energy2003
überall zuhause
 
Energy2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Feldkirch (A)! D+CH+FL+Ashford, UK
Posts: 7,163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake View Post
The talllest in Switzerland for the moment. There are projects in Basle (154m) and Geneva (3 x 175m) but these aren't approved yet. I hope that they announce some 180 to 200m highrises in the area where this tower is going to be built...

3x 175m in Geneva ... ????

it´s an old post, so anythings new about that ?
__________________
Dresscode: Kleidung nicht zwingend erforderlich!

1000 y.o. hometown? yes! Feldkirch

Österreich - nur ein kleines Land ... dafür eines der Besten
Energy2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 02:46 PM   #40
Boogie
keep jaywalking
 
Boogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,285
Likes (Received): 251

I do not know why, but the tower does not suit me at all. I think the reason is shape and colour of tower. On the other hand when VdH Group built Andersia Tower in Poznan I was glad (Andersia is 102 m high with spires and looks like fat women).
Boogie no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
zurich

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu