daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 20th, 2007, 02:19 AM   #61
kenzo™

Likes (Received): 8

Mercado de Barceló

[IMG]http://i5.************/7y6xr9t.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i11.************/714ki6v.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i19.************/86g9nk5.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1.************/8ehwg38.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i7.************/7x3kojk.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i5.************/720q4cm.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i10.************/6xllqbk.png[/IMG]

http://www.urbanity.es/foro/showthread.php?t=4430
kenzo™ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 24th, 2007, 09:09 PM   #62
madridhere

Likes (Received): 110

Thanks for your pix, Kenzo. another new project for the long list of Madrid.

I hope I can post new pix in the next days.
La libertad, Sancho, es uno de los más preciosos dones que a los hombres dieron los cielos; con ella no pueden igualarse los tesoros que encierran la tierra y el mar: por la libertad, así como por la honra, se puede y debe aventurar la vida.
Freedom, Sancho, is one of the most precious gifts that Heaven gave to men; with it the treasures of the earth and the sea can´t be compared; for freedom, and for honour, one can and one should give his life(Cervantes in "Don Quixote")

Il faut être absolument moderne (Rimbaud)
madridhere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 04:04 AM   #63
Peshu

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandini View Post
I live in Madrid and I absolutely agree with you. There is a really big contrast between those pretty and imposing buildings and the horrible orange bricks/green awnings blocks that are, sadly, more common than the first ones. The "beautiful center" is only a small part of today's real/metropolitan area Madrid.
I have to say that i agree with that point . I've always said that most of Madrids historic core is absolutely beautiful .Thank goodness that at last they are building some of the most noteworthy architecture in the world . Problem is that 80% of the whole of Madrid especially in the outskirts is full of those cheap horrible brick orange buildings .
The city center really does remind you of a kind of Paris imitation with a real lack of money . Also very poorly planned unlike Barcelona .Though i'm one of the few that generally adore Madrid i think it is little wonder that the vast majority of foreign tourists love Barcelona alot more . One of my friends that just came back from a European holiday summed it up like this . " Madrid is quite a pleasent city with some elegant architecture . With an unbelievable dynamism . Certainly the loudest and most dynamic city in Europe . Barcelona on the other hand is absolutely spectacular in an architectural sense . It has old buildings which Madrid will never have , spectacular and unique modernism architecture and unlike Madrid it is a real European metropolis with enormously long avenues running right across the city unlike Madrid which apart from a couple of beautiful and impressive avenues gives the impression that there has always been a real lack of funds for architectural purposes "
I have to say though that alot of these new projects built or being built in madrid are getting alot of recognition around the world . Maybe that is the only way Madrid is ever going to be recognised as a real European heavy weight for a city . By becoming one of Europes contemporary architectural capitals adding to its already beautifull city center and world famous dynamism / nightlife .It also has to maintain and exceed its recently found status as Spains fashion and economic powerhouse .
Peshu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 08:27 AM   #64
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 745

very interesting points.

I was in Madrid a couple of months ago and I certainly did love the city. But I do agree that Barcelona has the edge. Barcelona's coastal scenary, it's almost carless gothic quarter, the wide avenues of the Eixample and of cause the magnificient architeture all add up to an amazing metropolis.

Madrid still has some lovely avenues, though most seems to be further out from the city center with the exception of the obvious. It does have the more spectacular central city park (though of cause Barcelona has Montjuic and Park Guell, but they are further out of the city).

I found Madrid to be a lovely city, but I have to admit that it did lack the magic that Barcelona always offers me.
Old February 17th, 2008, 12:13 AM   #65
Peshu

Don't get me wrong . Without getting into too much detail . I am strictly reffering to very short term foreign tourists . 90 % of the ones i have met have very much liked Barcelona more . How ever the majority of the ones that either studied or worked in both cities have very much preffered Madrid .
Why? Simple really . Like myself they were fortunate enough to get to know both cities properly . Whereas Barcelona instantly catches the eye with its spectacular birds eye views from Montjuic or Tibidabo . With it's magnificent Gaudii architecture , grand avenues and ofcourse the sea . Madrid takes alot longer to know .
The longer i lived in Barcelona the more i missed Madrid . Madrid has a dynamism ( especially in the late hours ) that doesn't exist in Barcelona . Believe me . Apart from the very hectic summer months you would find Barcelona quite boring when compared to Madrid . Madrid is the quentiessential Spanish metropolis . It is the center of what was once the great Spanish empire . Barcelona doesn't play much of a roll in that sense . It is pretty much Catalan . If you want to see more beautifull old architecture and significantly more important historicall towns then Barcelonas old town , from Madrid all one needs to do is go for a day trip to towns such as Salamanca or Segovia or Avila etc....
Madrid is Spains economic engine these days . It is also the fashion and shopping capital . It is also the real deal when it comes to anything famos amongst Spain .Be it tapas, flamenco, bullfighting and especially nightlife . In short . The good life .
I also much rather prefer Madrids center . It is a perfect mix of narrow winding streets ( which seems to be made for walking and having fun ) . Unlike Barcelona where everything is more spread out and harder to get to apart from the famed Ramblas . And though Barcelona is full of impressive long and wide avenues . Madrid does have the most impressive avenue in Spain if not Europe . The paseo del Prado .
Plus Madrids beautiful parks are incomparable . And thankfully they are now at last building some of the most awsome architectural projects on the planet apart from the ones they have already built . And last but not least . The city does possess the biggest football club in the world in Real Madrid .
All in All if i had to live in Spain the only city that comes to mind is Madrid .
Old February 17th, 2008, 12:19 AM   #66
TEKKEN
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Barcelona and Madrid are both great cities.But i like Barcelona more because of his beach.I cannot live without sea and water .At day&night you can chill and relax on the beach promenade and the harbour.

Last edited by TEKKEN; February 17th, 2008 at 12:27 AM.
TEKKEN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 01:42 AM   #67
Peshu

That's a fair point . If you like the beach you would want to live close to it . Alot of Madrid citizens go to Valencia for a few weeks during the year . Which for me is more than enough . That's why in Australia i very much prefer to live in Melbourne which is generally considered to be Australia cultural meca . And although the beach exists Melbournians are certainly not as obsessed with the sea as those beach bums up in Sydney
Old February 17th, 2008, 03:26 AM   #68
madridhere

I have some pix here of this weekend, when Caixaforum (a cultural entity) has been inaugurated at the Paseo del Prado. As you see the building is "floating". Everybody was sooo exited with this building!!!

Tha architects are Herzog and De Meuron.
La libertad, Sancho, es uno de los más preciosos dones que a los hombres dieron los cielos; con ella no pueden igualarse los tesoros que encierran la tierra y el mar: por la libertad, así como por la honra, se puede y debe aventurar la vida.
Freedom, Sancho, is one of the most precious gifts that Heaven gave to men; with it the treasures of the earth and the sea can´t be compared; for freedom, and for honour, one can and one should give his life(Cervantes in "Don Quixote")

Last edited by madridhere; February 17th, 2008 at 04:29 AM.
Old February 17th, 2008, 01:11 PM   #69
Peshu

Awesome stuff . Let's hope this boom keeps going for another few years . My brother who has been an architect for quite a few years is saying that at last alot of Madrids projects are being widely admired within the architectural world . Good for Madrid . After so many years of being under-rated it seems that at last it is being recognised as one of Europes top tier cities . Bravo .
Old February 17th, 2008, 02:36 PM   #70
madridhere

Pix of the interior taken from the newspaper Madridiario:

I love the stairs.

Inside there are seven floors.

These bautiful pix of the four towers were taken by adperez a couple of months ago (thanks to him).

Old February 18th, 2008, 06:46 AM   #71
Peshu

Nothing short of stunning .
Old February 18th, 2008, 07:33 AM   #72
connected_

Likes (Received): 15

God... Madrid is nothing short of amazing. I would really love to visit sometime soon!!
connected_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 09:32 AM   #73
Kika
Better United

Likes (Received): 42

Thank you for these beautiful photos!
Old February 18th, 2008, 12:06 PM   #74
JAVICUENCA

Likes (Received): 55

Beautiful pix!!!Thank you, Madridhere.

Madrid is changing so much and so quick!!!!

We are seeing the results of the best architects, Spanish and international, working there. Nouvel, Siza, Herzog and De Meuron, Bopbaa, Pei, Pelli, Foster, Rogers, Calatrava, Toyo Ito, Bofill, Foreign Office Architects...it´s incredible the list of good people doing good works there.

COngrats, Madrid!
JAVICUENCA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 02:16 PM   #75
Peshu

Does anybody have any information on the project of Campus de la justicia ?
Where is it ? When will it be finished ? I want to find out . Ahora mismo . Cojones .
Old February 23rd, 2008, 02:45 PM   #76
SkyLerm
Architranceture Feelings

Likes (Received): 28

You should take a look at this thread:http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=575493

Cuchiville

Last edited by SkyLerm; February 23rd, 2008 at 03:36 PM.
SkyLerm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 02:50 PM   #77
Peshu

Thanx Skylerm . I like finding out information on my fav Euro city rapido
Old February 23rd, 2008, 02:57 PM   #78
Peshu

Joder . Unbelievable Madrid is certainly going to claim the title of contemporary capital of Europe with all of these projects . AAAAAAAcojonante is the word i would say .
Old February 24th, 2008, 11:22 AM   #79
pescarush

Likes (Received): 1457

Caixaforum just got to love it!!! amaizing. i keep looking at it.
pescarush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 01:26 PM   #80
Avientu

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandini View Post
I live in Madrid and I absolutely agree with you. There is a really big contrast between those pretty and imposing buildings and the horrible orange bricks/green awnings blocks that are, sadly, more common than the first ones. The "beautiful center" is only a small part of today's real/metropolitan area Madrid.
Yes, completely agree with you. They are a result of its time (unexistent urban planning, impoverished country under a dictatorship, massive exodus to the cities from the countryside therefore a massive need of quick and cheap housing, etc.). Sadly, you'll find them all over the country.

They deserve to be torn down eventually.

Avientu no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
madrid, spain in the world