daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 3rd, 2010, 05:46 PM   #241
spag85

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by (fabrizio) View Post
I couldn't work out what they were talking about. but there was plenty of images of the new rolling stock, which looked beautiful.
The new trains, now 2 years late, do not qualify for the standards for brakes among others, so authorities denied the request for a license, while the contract with Alstom was not canceled yet - so it is a scandal.
spag85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2010, 08:54 PM   #242
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

The trains, apart from the appearance, are worse quality than the old soviet trains IMHO.
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 07:40 AM   #243
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17043

Your Tracks and Trams look horrible , why are they in such bad shape?
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 01:04 PM   #244
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Your Tracks and Trams look horrible , why are they in such bad shape?
are you basing that on the video above? that is one of the worst lines

we have a network ~130 kms and in the last ~15 years we have been constantly rebuilding them, so about 70 kms are in very good condition, especially the ones near the center

as for the trams, yes, half the fleet is [email protected], the rest is fine, including the 40 combinos

matter of fact, the tram network has probably received an improportionate amount of funding in the last decade, compared to the buses, trolley buses and suburban railroads (subways received probably even more, given that we completely rebuilt subway 2 and built the tube for subway 4)

all in all, tramways in budapest are fine, especially if your realize that ~ 20 kms are bound to be closed or supplemented by future subway lines

on the other hand, there are gaps in the network that should be built, ~ 10 kms
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #245
spag85

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramercy View Post
we have a network ~130 kms and in the last ~15 years we have been constantly rebuilding them, so about 70 kms are in very good condition, especially the ones near the center
there is a speed limit (due to track quality) on a substantial part of the network.

Quote:
matter of fact, the tram network has probably received an improportionate amount of funding in the last decade, compared to the buses, trolley buses and suburban railroads (subways received probably even more, given that we completely rebuilt subway 2 and built the tube for subway 4)
buses received no significant funding either: average age is 17, with hundreds of buses around 23 years of age. Thousands of buses need replacement.

Quote:
~ 20 kms are bound to be closed or supplemented by future subway lines
hopefully (and according to current plans) not at all.

Quote:
on the other hand, there are gaps in the network that should be built, ~ 10 kms
true, there are projects which would yield a high benefit, e.g. only a two-stop stretch to connect lines 17 to 19/41, which is currently sabotaged by one of the districts involved.
Old September 7th, 2010, 06:57 PM   #246
Dan78

Likes (Received): 55

Things are shaping up very nicely for Budapest. When are M4 and M5 due to open?
Dan78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 07:06 PM   #247
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

Quote:
Originally Posted by spag85 View Post
there is a speed limit (due to track quality) on a substantial part of the network.
based on? and whats substantial?

Quote:
buses received no significant funding either: average age is 17, with hundreds of buses around 23 years of age. Thousands of buses need replacement.
i said so, tramways got a lot of funding, probably the most compared to others

Quote:
hopefully (and according to current plans) not at all.
i dont know what constitutes a current plan in a political climate we have, but i can tell you that the line on Fehervari ut connecting Moricz Zsigmond ter with Budafok should be stripped and Subway 4 should split all the way to Budafok railway station; allowing for a complete rebuild of Fehervari ut

also, the outer section of Ulloi ut should be rebuilt with Subway 3 going underneath it all the way to Ferihegy airport, replacing the tramway
Subway 3 should also be expanded toward the north from Ujpest to Rakospalota-Ujpest station and from there it should take the place (quite literally) of tramway nr 14

the Pesterzsebet single-track tramway should also be closed down since it is completely unecessary and a bus line could easily replace it

there are some more minor examples
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 07:21 PM   #248
RawLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan78 View Post
Things are shaping up very nicely for Budapest. When are M4 and M5 due to open?
M4 in about 2 years, probably more, M5 in a trillion years, probably more.
Old September 8th, 2010, 02:08 PM   #249
RKC

Likes (Received): 28

del

Last edited by RKC; September 8th, 2010 at 07:39 PM.
RKC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 08:56 PM   #250
MiaM

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by spag85 View Post
There are projects which would yield a high benefit, e.g. only a two-stop stretch to connect lines 17 to 19/41, which is currently sabotaged by one of the districts involved.
If Metro 5 ever happends, wouln't the existing HÉV line from Batthyány tér be a good extention to tram line 19/41? Perpahs even up to the point where metro 5 is planned to diverge from the current HÉV route? That could also replace the southern part of tram line 17.

Also, I have two questions:

1) Why isn't travel on MÁV trains included in the 1/3/7 day BKV tickets, but included on tickets for longer periods?

2) Why isn't there a good interchange betweeen Metro 1 and tram line 1? (Or is there one that I missed)?
MiaM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 11:21 PM   #251
spag85

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaM View Post
Why isn't there a good interchange betweeen Metro 1 and tram line 1? (Or is there one that I missed)?
Well you are right, there is a "bad interchange", you can walk in 5 minutes from Mexikói út (M1) to Kacsóh Pongrác út (T1) through a dirty and dark tunnel.
Old September 16th, 2010, 02:38 PM   #252
Qtya
sensational

Likes (Received): 9423

Eventually life is going to get back to normal...

Surface works around the future Tétényi road station...

Elevator shaft...

Even the surroundings of the old market are being refurbished...

I wonder when will the demolishment of this piece of crap start?

II. János Pál pápa

Last edited by Qtya; September 16th, 2010 at 03:44 PM.
Qtya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 03:57 PM   #253
Qtya
sensational

Office & Control tower again...

Tracks (coming out of the tunnels) already laid...

II. János Pál pápa
Old September 16th, 2010, 04:12 PM   #254
Qtya
sensational

Bocskai road station...

Elevator shaft?

Blocking the way of a potential extension of tram line 4...

From the underpass...

II. János Pál pápa
Old September 25th, 2010, 06:12 AM   #255
historyworks
Perpetual Bohemian

Likes (Received): 316

A question guys? Is Budapest tram system still using unidirectional operation (with unidirectional trams)? How much of the system is unidirectional? What about the tram fleet (I know Combinos are bidirectional)? Is there a track plan on the internet of the system? Not too many questions I hope! Thanks.
Old September 25th, 2010, 08:07 PM   #256
RawLee

The system isnt unidirectional, then the trams would travel only one way, and never come back Most of our trams are unidirectional, thats why they ususally are in groups of 2.
Old September 25th, 2010, 10:11 PM   #257
Fron

Likes (Received): 1434

Only the Tatra T5C5 trams are "unidirectional" from BKV's fleet, though they've never run in solo mode.

Fron no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 12:39 AM   #258
historyworks
Perpetual Bohemian

Likes (Received): 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
The system isnt unidirectional, then the trams would travel only one way, and never come back Most of our trams are unidirectional, thats why they ususally are in groups of 2.
You clown LOL!

What I mean is whether the system is like e.g. Prague with loops, or do lines have stub terminals where the trams reverse? And are there any lines that are loops themselves, that is go around in a "circle"?

(I can see that the T5C5s are coupled back to back - so unidirectional trams on a bidirectional system? Is that place in that video actually a loop for turning around the tram and if so why are the trams coupled back to back when they can actually reverse and don't have to use a loop?)

Last edited by historyworks; September 26th, 2010 at 01:07 AM.
historyworks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 10:39 AM   #259
Fron

Likes (Received): 1434

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyworks View Post
You clown LOL!

What I mean is whether the system is like e.g. Prague with loops, or do lines have stub terminals where the trams reverse? And are there any lines that are loops themselves, that is go around in a "circle"?

(I can see that the T5C5s are coupled back to back - so unidirectional trams on a bidirectional system? Is that place in that video actually a loop for turning around the tram and if so why are the trams coupled back to back when they can actually reverse and don't have to use a loop?)
It used to be unidirectional but after the metro constructions and bus lobby hundreds of kilometres tram lines were ceased or cut back. Nowadays there are 40 head terminals:

...and 6 loop ones. So it is bidirectional.
Fron no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 11:39 AM   #260
RawLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fron View Post

Only the Tatra T5C5 trams are "unidirectional" from BKV's fleet, though they've never run in solo mode.
http://villamosok.hu/balazs/jall/index.html

Ganz "ICS" 118
KCSV7 30
TW6000 76
Combino 40
T5C5 240
T5C5K 80

320 unidirectional vs 254 bidirectional = most of our trams are unidirectional. Though I agree if we look at the number of actual sets , bidirectionals are much more common

Tags
budapest, transport