daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 31st, 2014, 12:55 PM   #621
Brenda goats

Likes (Received): 152

What's the timeframe on trams running down kossuth lajos again.
I remember them when they ran before.
Thokoly ut still has tracks in place, i assume these would be replaced.
Brenda goats no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2014, 04:10 PM   #622
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Likes (Received): 14025

Nobody knows at the moment. The Balás Mór Plan doesn't include any new tram tracks to the west of Astoria so that is not going to happen before 2020. The other sections on Rákóczi út and Thököly út are at least on that map but there is no official timeframe yet.

Emperor of Bir Tawil and the Nbcee farmlands
Demigod of DLM
nbcee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2014, 09:44 PM   #623
neverdie
whatever

Likes (Received): 1729

The reconstructed section of line 3:

Robi_damian, nbcee, cool2ra2ra, Attus, albiman and 2 others liked this post
neverdie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2014, 11:55 PM   #624
zsimi80
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 553

Cool

zsimi80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2014, 12:11 AM   #625
zsimi80
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 553

More pics: http://iho.hu/hir/kesz-van-de-meg-nem-egeszen-140901

zsimi80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2014, 08:07 AM   #626
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

I realize this might be a stupid question, but is Budapest planning to add turnstiles to the metro system any time soon? Last time I was there which was about a year ago, I noticed there were transit cops at each metro station checking fares which I personally think is a huge waste of manpower.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2014, 09:32 AM   #627
Andrej_LJ

Likes (Received): 5204

Can you please tell the price tag for all this tram track reconstructions (price per km of lines 1 and 3) as well as the price for the new segments of tracks. Are these projects financed by the Cohesion funds of the EU?
Andrej_LJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2014, 10:00 AM   #628
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
I realize this might be a stupid question, but is Budapest planning to add turnstiles to the metro system any time soon? Last time I was there which was about a year ago, I noticed there were transit cops at each metro station checking fares which I personally think is a huge waste of manpower.
There are plans to reintroduce those. Last year they were testing four different gates at Corvin-negyed station:

Why did I say reintroduce? Because the M2 line had a system like that in the past:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrej_LJ View Post
Can you please tell the price tag for all this tram track reconstructions (price per km of lines 1 and 3) as well as the price for the new segments of tracks. Are these projects financed by the Cohesion funds of the EU?
Acording to BKK, the total cost of the project is 44.4bn HUF which is 140-145m EUR and 93.92% of it is funded by EU CFs. The reconstruction cost of tram line 1 is 27.49bn HUF, and for tram line 3 it's 11,5bn HUF. Line 1 is 13.4 km long and it will be extended by 3.3 kms. Tram line 3 is 13.4 km long.

Please note that reconstruction can have a different meaning depending on how bad the situation was in the first place. E.g. if we look at line 3, in District X they completely rebuilt everything but in District XIV they mostly just built new platforms for the stops.

Demigod of DLM

Andrej_LJ liked this post
Old September 8th, 2014, 09:39 PM   #629
Fron

Likes (Received): 1434

Budapest inaugurates bike-sharing system

Quote:
Budapest inaugurated a city-wide bike-sharing system entitled "MOL BuBi" today. The system has 1,100 bicycles at 76 docking stations around the city.

Hungarian oil and gas company MOL is the chief sponsor of the system's operation. The BuBi, or Budapest Bike, is also funded by the local council and by revenue from passes

For a limited time, annual passes for the system are available at a reduced price - HUF 12,000 instead of HUF 18,900. Half-year passes currently cost HUF 8,000 instead of HUF 12,500.
http://bbj.hu/budapest/budapest-inau...g-system_84717

nbcee liked this post

Last edited by Fron; September 8th, 2014 at 09:46 PM.
Fron no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2014, 09:49 AM   #630
Transira
Trolleyman

Likes (Received): 99

Trolleybus routes no. 70, 78, Kalman Imre utca - Kozma Ferenc utca:

Complicated

Project to extend the trolleybus network in this zone?

Last edited by Transira; September 9th, 2014 at 09:56 AM.
Transira no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2014, 02:56 PM   #631
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transira View Post
Trolleybus routes no. 70, 78, Kalman Imre utca - Kozma Ferenc utca:

Complicated

Project to extend the trolleybus network in this zone?
The thing is that there was a loop terminus for the trolleybuses at Kossuth square. But after its reconstruction the square can only be used by pedestrians, cyclists and trams. So as a temporary measure they came up with the solution you can see in the video.

There are four alternatvies to fix the situation:

1) divert trollebuses to the Arany János utca metro station - this was rejected quickly
2) create a new loop around the block - this was cancelled due to the protests of local residents
3) create a new loop around the Imre Nagy statue - some argued that the trolley wires will be disadvantageous for the cityscape
4) buy trolleybuses which are equipped with batteries (we already have 16 of those assigned to line #79) so they won't require installing new wires

Source:
http://index.hu/belfold/2014/08/05/a..._uj_vidampark/

Demigod of DLM

Transira liked this post
Old September 10th, 2014, 07:55 PM   #632
ode of bund

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbcee View Post
The thing is that there was a loop terminus for the trolleybuses at Kossuth square. But after its reconstruction the square can only be used by pedestrians, cyclists and trams. So as a temporary measure they came up with the solution you can see in the video.

There are four alternatvies to fix the situation:

1) divert trollebuses to the Arany János utca metro station - this was rejected quickly
2) create a new loop around the block - this was cancelled due to the protests of local residents
3) create a new loop around the Imre Nagy statue - some argued that the trolley wires will be disadvantageous for the cityscape
4) buy trolleybuses which are equipped with batteries (we already have 16 of those assigned to line #79) so they won't require installing new wires

Source:
http://index.hu/belfold/2014/08/05/a..._uj_vidampark/
(5) keep doing this by installing switches that can allow trolleys do reversing, so that manual pole pulling can be automated.

Transira liked this post
ode of bund no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2014, 09:20 PM   #633
MiaM

Likes (Received): 85

(6) make sure the driver can pull down the poles, reverse without changing poles, pull down the poles at the intersection and roll a short bit without power, and put up the poles on the wires that are used when the bus leaves the intersection. This would block the intersection longer when a bus is reversing, but it would only require one person handling the poles at one place.
MiaM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2014, 11:24 PM   #634
historyworks
Perpetual Bohemian

Likes (Received): 317

There are also two staff people apparently permanently employed on the road to supervise this - incredible! Surely it wouldn't have taken much foresight to buy some battery or hybrid trolleybuses?

I've also read that Budapest is introducing front-door-only loading on buses to battle fare-evasion. If true, this would be a huge backward step in efficiency. I can't believe that a huge transport system carrying so many people would do such a thing.
Old September 11th, 2014, 12:02 AM   #635
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyworks View Post
I've also read that Budapest is introducing front-door-only loading on buses to battle fare-evasion. If true, this would be a huge backward step in efficiency. I can't believe that a huge transport system carrying so many people would do such a thing.
Well they already have - but only on the lines which are not too busy.

Demigod of DLM
Old September 11th, 2014, 12:24 AM   #636
MiaM

Likes (Received): 85

Battery or hybrid trolleybuses would IMHO not be good, because it could be seen as a step to dismantle more and more parts of the network.

It's IMHO unbelieavable that the authorities has approved the removal of the loop before another solution is in place.

With the high ridership on public traport in Budapest most people would probably win on all-door loading even if there is a higher amout of fare evation. I'd for sure be happy to pay for example 10% higher fares if it gets me from A to B faster, even if some other persons evades the fare. But that's me, some other people feel that travel speed is less important than that nobody else gains any more benefits than them self...

Transira liked this post
MiaM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2014, 12:50 AM   #637
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Just to clear things up:

Like I said there were alternative solutions when they began the reconstruction - 2) was the most likely one. The civilian protest came after that and resulted in this interesting stalemate situation.

Buying a dozen new trolleybuses is a lot more expensive than installing a few metres of wires and it's a much slower process too. Of course in the long run more and more trolleybuses will be able to operate without wires - but it's unlikely that they will start dismantling the existing parts of the network because of this. Take line #79 for example where they kept the wires in place.

The busy lines still have all-door loading, the front-dooor-only rule only applies to the other ones. Currently 130 of the 271 bus lines, 6 of the 14 trolleybus lines and 31 of the 40 night bus lines have it.

Demigod of DLM

Transira liked this post

Last edited by nbcee; September 11th, 2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old September 11th, 2014, 04:13 PM   #638
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

A surprise from BKK to you all:

http://futar.bkk.hu/

1) zoom in on the map
2) click on "járművek"(vehicles) in the upper right corner of the screen when you have zoomed in enough
3) Enjoy

Demigod of DLM

MiaM, zsimi80, geometarkv, Trupman liked this post
Old September 16th, 2014, 11:03 AM   #639
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26186

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=542

Budapest to upgrade metro Line 3 fleet
Monday, September 15, 2014

THE Hungarian government has granted the city of Budapest permission to begin talks with potential creditors regarding financing for the modernisation of the ageing train fleet on metro Line 3

With the rebuilding of Line 2 in the last decade and the opening of Line 4 in March, both of which have benefitted from new Alstom trains, political attention has turned once again to the troubled Line 3, which has recently suffered a spate of failures on its fleet of Soviet-era rolling stock.

The city will be able to borrow up to Forints 60bn ($US 247m) to upgrade the trains, and on August 25 it instructed Budapest Transport Company (BKV) to begin discussions with banks and draw up tenders for the modernisation programme, which will be treated as a priority. Tenders for this work are due to be issued by the end of the year.

Meanwhile the Budapest assembly has also decided to initiate discussions with the Hungarian government over possible financial measures to upgrade infrastructure and stations on the line, possibly with the involvement of European Union (EU) institutions.

The mayor of Budapest Mr István Tarlós says he expects the train fleet to be upgraded by 2016 and the rebuilding of the whole line by 2019. In the meantime, track renewals will be carried out on the sections where repairs are needed most urgently.
Well, Fidecz party made a lot of good things with transport developments

geometarkv liked this post
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 11:28 AM   #640
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

To be fair the reconstruction of the M2 line was done before they came (back) to power and the M4 project also started back then.

However the M3 line must be reconstructed as soon as possible. This is the busiest railroad of the country (its ridership is higher than all the lines' of MÁV state railways combined) and it's in a very bad shape. They already started replacing the old tracks but there is much more to be done.

Demigod of DLM

dimlys1994, MiaM liked this post

Tags
budapest, transport