daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 1st, 2014, 02:52 PM   #681
Brenda goats

Likes (Received): 152

Soon to go!
Brenda goats no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2014, 04:23 PM   #682
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26186

Video on Széll Kálmán tér station hub upgrade:

I have question - have you got better pics on M1's northern extension?
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2014, 05:04 PM   #683
leonardrm

Likes (Received): 359

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
I have question - have you got better pics on M1's northern extension?
And what about M3 northern extension beyond Ujpest?

dimlys1994 liked this post
leonardrm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2014, 10:17 PM   #684
zsimi80
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 553

M4

WB2010 liked this post
zsimi80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 08:23 PM   #685
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1085

After so many years, the tram network will be extended soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fron View Post
RawLee está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2015, 06:36 AM   #686
MiaM

Likes (Received): 85

Youtube clip removed
MiaM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2015, 01:28 PM   #687
Fron

Likes (Received): 1434

First CAF tram(the shorter 34 metres variant) is completed for Budapest.

Old February 5th, 2015, 03:30 PM   #688
Tramwayman
Trams the Best!!!

Likes (Received): 530

Seriously CAF only makes tram with this design? Well they must be cheaper then from other manufacturers, cause I guess that must be the only reason why CAF trams are being bought worldwide. Otherwiese the desing is awfull.
Tramwayman está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2015, 04:42 PM   #689
metr0p0litain

Likes (Received): 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramwayman View Post
Seriously CAF only makes tram with this design? Well they must be cheaper then from other manufacturers, cause I guess that must be the only reason why CAF trams are being bought worldwide. Otherwiese the desing is awfull.
What is your problem with CAF? If Budapest wants a unique design for their trams, they can pay for it... Every manufacturer can do that! If they don't like, because it's cheaper to get spare parts after accidents, they can choose a common design... So, it's not CAF but the customer which choose the design. Please keep in mind and don't be angry about CAF!

lechevallierpatrick, Swede, MiaM, gippas liked this post
metr0p0litain no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2015, 06:09 PM   #690
Tramwayman
Trams the Best!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metr0p0litain View Post
What is your problem with CAF? If Budapest wants a unique design for their trams, they can pay for it... Every manufacturer can do that! If they don't like, because it's cheaper to get spare parts after accidents, they can choose a common design... So, it's not CAF but the customer which choose the design. Please keep in mind and don't be angry about CAF!
Well curiously from all tram manufacturers only CAF makes the same design trams almost. the other ones create almost all the time something new and differente
Old February 5th, 2015, 09:54 PM   #691
historyworks
Perpetual Bohemian

Likes (Received): 317

CAF does have some variants - e.g. Stockholm model with swivelling end bogies. Otherwise, like every other manufacturer it earns its bread and butter from these ubiquitous standard fixed-bogie, multi-articulated trams.

I'm surprised that Budapest ordered such a tram since it is an old system with (I believe) less than perfect track that doesn't favour such trams - and the trams wear the tracks also. Prague is getting rid of such trams. Maybe the line they will be used on in Budapest is pretty much a straight line with no corners?

We have these CAFs in Sydney and they are quite nicely built and quiet, but they have a poor ride and prone to yaw. The seating arrangement over the power bogies is terrible. Either you have to sacrifice seats to get facing seats (4 seats per bogie instead of 8) or they turn the seats sideways facing the aisle and people sitting in them block the aisle with their feet. I will be interested to see which alternative Budapest chose, especially since it is a narrower tram than Sydney's. The photos above show only non-power bogie seats in the centre of the tram. Sydney has worst of both - 2 facing seats on one side and feet blocking the aisle on the other! The Skodas in Miskolc are a much better example of this type of tram, including 8 facing seats over the power bogies.

I'm very surprised that an experienced operator like BKV got these, rather than having a tram designed to suit their system like in Prague. Even Bratislava has ordered trams with swivelling end bogies.

Last edited by historyworks; February 5th, 2015 at 10:11 PM.
historyworks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2015, 10:34 PM   #692
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Likes (Received): 14025

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyworks View Post
I'm surprised that Budapest ordered such a tram since it is an old system with (I believe) less than perfect track that doesn't favour such trams
That's why they've been refurbishing these lines during the last couple of months (we posted about it here a few times too )

Emperor of Bir Tawil and the Nbcee farmlands
Demigod of DLM

Last edited by nbcee; February 5th, 2015 at 10:42 PM.
nbcee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2015, 11:19 PM   #693
historyworks
Perpetual Bohemian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbcee View Post
That's why they've been refurbishing these lines during the last couple of months (we posted about it here a few times too )
Thank you! Now you remind me I have seen this information.

But that's the problem with these fixed-bogie trams - you have to have very strong, new track that then has to be always maintained in best condition so it is not bashed to pieces by these trams. Can Budapest afford this? Is there enough money forever to always maintain the track in top condition? This is an issue that will affect many new tramways in future years.

The Czech and Slovak approach seems more long-term pragmatic - design the tram so that there is not so much pressure on the infrastructure.

Out of interest, has anybody there been able to form an opinion comparing the performance of CAF trams in Debrecen with the Skodas in Miskolc? Also I presume the Debrecen trams have that issue with the bogie seats.

MiaM liked this post
historyworks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 01:09 PM   #694
Tramwayman
Trams the Best!!!

Quote:
Thank you! Now you remind me I have seen this information.

But that's the problem with these fixed-bogie trams - you have to have very strong, new track that then has to be always maintained in best condition so it is not bashed to pieces by these trams. Can Budapest afford this? Is there enough money forever to always maintain the track in top condition? This is an issue that will affect many new tramways in future years.

The Czech and Slovak approach seems more long-term pragmatic - design the tram so that there is not so much pressure on the infrastructure.

Out of interest, has anybody there been able to form an opinion comparing the performance of CAF trams in Debrecen with the Skodas in Miskolc? Also I presume the Debrecen trams have that issue with the bogie seats.

What are you saying, Prague has a lot of problems with their swivelling bogie Skoda 15T trams, they are just awfull, you should inform yourself, Prague trams and all the Skoda product is no way a good example!
Old February 6th, 2015, 01:58 PM   #695
historyworks
Perpetual Bohemian

Quote:
What are you saying, Prague has a lot of problems with their swivelling bogie Skoda 15T trams, they are just awfull, you should inform yourself, Prague trams and all the Skoda product is no way a good example!
What have you been listening to? Prague city politicians who blew the city budget trying to get out of a contract by libelling Skoda?

They are running very well. There were usual "childhood" issues with a completely new concept design (no other current manufacturer has had to deal with such a radically different design), these have been resolved by negotiation and extended warranty. They're the best trams in Europe as you know.
Old February 6th, 2015, 02:02 PM   #696
Tramwayman
Trams the Best!!!

Quote:
What have you been listening to? Prague city politicians who blew the city budget trying to get out of a contract by libelling Skoda?

They are running very well. There were usual "childhood" issues with a completely new concept design (no other current manufacturer has had to deal with such a radically different design), these have been resolved by negotiation and extended warranty. They're the best trams in Europe as you know.
Hahaha well I think the trams produced by Bombardier are the best!!!!
Old February 6th, 2015, 02:14 PM   #697
historyworks
Perpetual Bohemian

Quote:
Hahaha well I think the trams produced by Bombardier are the best!!!!
Better not say that in Melbourne - there are a few little problems. The design is also not the best for big crowds (not enough doors, narrow aisle). Every manufacturer's product has its pluses and minuses. But trams with swivelling bogies are better than trams with fixed bogies.
Old February 7th, 2015, 01:39 AM   #698
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

AFAIK, Prague experienced extreme wear of rails in tight curves with classic suspend-sections tram, so they decided to go for Jacobs bogies tram, which limits choice of manufacter.
-H. Kürsch, 2002
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2015, 08:09 PM   #699
Gros Matou

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAN_ View Post
AFAIK, Prague experienced extreme wear of rails in tight curves with classic suspend-sections tram, so they decided to go for Jacobs bogies tram, which limits choice of manufacter.
The PESA Twist also features swiveling bogies. The Foxtrot model for Moscow is also based on the Twist design I believe.

Anyway, I had the chance to ride Prague's trams last summer and I can confirm the ride os smoother on the 15T than on the 14T or the Siemens ULF and Combino I rode in Vienna and Budapest respectively.

The 15T is a very refined product, greatly underestimated. The amount of unique features this tram has surely makes it a high end product, superior than the common Citadis or Flexity :
- Swiveling bogies, allowing tighter curves and cross curves at higher speed as well as reducing track wear;
- More axles than competitors of same length, reducing axle load and thus track wear;
- All axles can be motorised allowing climbing 8,5% gradients and quicker accelerations;
- Integral low floor without bumps for bogies allowing better seating arrangements;

However, the 15T maximum length is around 50 metres (5 modules), which is pretty long, but slightly shorter than the huge Combino or CAF trams ordered by Budapest.

I couldn't find a lot of technical information about the PESA Twist in english unfortunately. From the translation of the wiki page in polish, it seems the Twist is not entirely low floor and doesn't appear to be offered in versions longer than 42 m, but it comes with interesting options such as energy storage with supercapacitors.

Anyway, let's hope these manufacturers will spread trams with swiveling bogies if it allows lower track maintenance costs.

EDIT : Well, I just found out Bombardier's Flexity Classic has swiveling bogies at its ends... but it also has high floor over the swiveling bogies, however. Oh well, It seems "track friendly" modern trams are more common than what I thought.

Last edited by Gros Matou; February 7th, 2015 at 08:27 PM.
Gros Matou no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2015, 08:27 PM   #700
Maadeuurija

Likes (Received): 535

Quote:
We have these in Tallinn... also made by CAF

will101 liked this post
Maadeuurija no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
budapest, transport