daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 7th, 2015, 08:38 PM   #701
Tramwayman
Trams the Best!!!

Likes (Received): 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maadeuurija View Post
We have these in Tallinn... also made by CAF
I know all the modern trams that are being produced, and yes the SAME FACE of the tram, small SPIDER lights the same face.
Tramwayman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2015, 08:44 PM   #702
Tramwayman
Trams the Best!!!

Likes (Received): 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Matou View Post
The 15T is a very refined product, greatly underestimated. The amount of unique features this tram has surely makes it a high end product, superior than the common Citadis or Flexity :
- Swiveling bogies, allowing tighter curves and cross curves at higher speed as well as reducing track wear;
- More axles than competitors of same length, reducing axle load and thus track wear;
- All axles can be motorised allowing climbing 8,5% gradients and quicker accelerations;
- Integral low floor without bumps for bogies allowing better seating arrangements;
8,5% is Prague verion and allow me to say if that is what this tram can do well then shame for Skoda cause trams from other manufacturers can do better results.

Flexity Augsburt 11%
Citadis Tenerife 10%
Citadis Jerusalem 9%

Flexity Toronto can negotiate 11 meter curves with it's fixed bogies, a lot better then 18 meters of Skoda 15T.

Narrow corridors between sections are awfull in 15T!
Tramwayman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2015, 12:26 AM   #703
historyworks
Perpetual Bohemian

Likes (Received): 317

Tramwayman, you were champion of 15T for a long time on this forum and suddenly don't like it! What happened, did one run over your foot?

First, every tram is specified for the city it operates in. If somebody buys a Skoda for a city with 10% grades they will alter the specification for such grades. Same with maximum speed, curves and other matters. 15T was designed specifically for Prague, but Riga version doesn't have to mount such grades so it has less motors.

I spent much time travelling in 15T and I don't even notice the corridors between sections. They're not narrow but over 700 mm wide, wider than aisles in many other trams. People stand in the corridors without any problem. It's a beautiful tram, very quiet and smooth, seats facing forward and has many evenly-spaced doors so people load and unload very quickly without congestion inside the tram.

But this is OT for Budapest. That Tallinn CAF is yet another model of CAF, so they're not all the same. It is the alternative to 15T for swivelling bogies used by CAF, Bombardier (Melbourne), Alstom (Istanbul). But I don't like the way the bogies are inside the cabin and disrupt seating and the even distribution of doors. It is basically the Flexity Classic design but with a trench (with ramps) cut through the high-floor sections at the ends so they can describe it as "100%" low floor. But of course the seats are up on platforms with steps, unlike 15T which is a true, completely stepless, 100% low floor. As Gros Matou says, 15T is a very refined design. I would say brilliant.

The point for this thread is that it was designed for old systems with very heavy use where it is a financial struggle for the city to keep maintaining the tracks and infrastructure in perfect condition, so they've designed a tram that is much kinder to the infrastructure. That's why I'm puzzled why BKV chose the fixed-bogie CAF for Budapest which is a tram system that has a lot in common with Prague. It will be hard on the tracks. In Belgrade I believe they had problems with these CAFs for the same reason.
Old February 9th, 2015, 06:27 PM   #704
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1085

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyworks View Post
I'm surprised that Budapest ordered such a tram since it is an old system with (I believe) less than perfect track that doesn't favour such trams - and the trams wear the tracks also. Prague is getting rid of such trams. Maybe the line they will be used on in Budapest is pretty much a straight line with no corners?
They will travel on these lines AFAIK:

RawLee está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 02:54 PM   #705
k2034

Likes (Received): 4

I have to admit. Public transportation in Budapest needs a lot more development!
k2034 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 04:59 PM   #706
Fron

Likes (Received): 1434

Development update

Load tests are completed on the bridges of tram line 1 extension, only some paper work left. Inauguration within 4 weeks.

http://indafoto.hu/lovigabi/terheles...a_rakoczihidon

New Volvo 7900 articulated Hybrid buses entered into service on line 5, 7 and 9:

Visualization of a new tram depot at southwest Budapest, construction starts this spring:

Last edited by Fron; February 18th, 2015 at 05:27 PM.
Fron no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 05:06 PM   #707
bomber_b
ค้นหาหอพัก

Likes (Received): 0

Wow..
bomber_b no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 05:53 PM   #708
Fron

Likes (Received): 1434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fron View Post
Architectural short movie about the Fővám and Gellért stations on the new metro line 4 designed by sporaarchitects.
They won the first prize of the ARCHITIZER A+AWARDS 2014 in Transport + Infrastructure category.

For english subtitle click on the “CC” button and choose “english”.

More awards for M4...

Quote:
Stations On M4 Metro Line Win ArchDaily’s Building Of The Year Award

Hungarian design agency Spora Architects has won the Building of the Year Awards for the best public buildings, handed out by ArchDaily, one of the world’s most influential websites on architecture. The metro stations at Gellért tér and Fővám tér on Budapest’s newly-opened Line 4 came first in the community spaces category.

At this year’s vote, readers had the opportunity to select the Building of the Year in fourteen categories from among the over three thousand projects featured on ArchDaily in 2014.

- edit: too much copied content

http://www.xpatloop.com/news/station...the_year_award
Fron no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 08:12 PM   #709
RawLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2034 View Post
I have to admit. Public transportation in Budapest needs a lot more development!
May I ask why do you feel this way?
Old February 25th, 2015, 02:07 AM   #710
C.P.

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Could you please tell us why? ..or what would that be?
C.P. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 04:15 AM   #711
Neric007

Likes (Received): 2204

Wow I can't believe they're gonna extend the Kis metro!
I'm confused though, are they replacing all the rolling stocks are jusgt adding some new ones? 'cause the old ones are cute.
Neric007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 06:32 PM   #712
RawLee

They will replace them.
Old February 28th, 2015, 08:57 AM   #713
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26186

Video about hybrid buses in Budapest:

Robi_damian liked this post
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 02:54 PM   #714
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Likes (Received): 14025

The glorious city of Kecskemét has 25 articulated hybrid Citaros.

Emperor of Bir Tawil and the Nbcee farmlands
Demigod of DLM

dimlys1994 liked this post
nbcee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 05:44 PM   #715
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Celebrating the 100th anniversary of the start of service on the first bus line in Budapest:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...4266636&type=1

Demigod of DLM

MiaM, kyah117 liked this post
Old March 1st, 2015, 05:50 PM   #716
Criticalhun
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7494

Quote:
Unfortunately, i have to agree with you. Although the system is quite large and well-functioning, it leaves a lot to be desired.
If you look at the map you can see that it is a true network with Trams, S-bahn(HEV), Metro etc. complementing each other but the system is extremely fragmented, forcing passangers to unecessary transfers. The Metro lines are not long enough and only cover the central areas, while the HEV lines barely reach central Budapest. So whether you live in the outskirts or in the suburbs, you cannot reach your destination without having to transfer once or twice and in most cases the connections are very poor. This is the fundamental problem with the network so there is plenty of room for improvement. Sadly, the newly opened M4 with its meagre 7km continues this very typical Hungarian trend and since the government is not metro friendly, there is no hope for extension at least in the near future. Instead of extenting the M4, the city wants to concentrate on the M1 with possible extensions in both directions which makes no sense for me at all, considering the fact that the line suffers from capacity constrains. This is just one of the many ridiculous ideas/plans recently brought up by certain elements. It goes to show what happens when common sense fails and stupidity takes another level.
If you need more info, see Robert Schwandl's 2014 report here;
http://schwandl.blogspot.co.uk/2014/...etro-tram.html

Last edited by Criticalhun; March 1st, 2015 at 05:59 PM.
Criticalhun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 06:05 PM   #717
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

You kinda missed the #1 priority at the moment which is the thourough refurbishment of the M3 line and its rolling stock which will cost a total of 160-200 Bn HUF. Also the M1 line's proposed extension(s) are combined with increasing the capacity of the line (check the third feasibility study here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7zs2r6hee..._kjPmWBsa?dl=0). And since we're at the FSs: there hasn't been any formal decision yet on which of these will become a reality, so the M1 extension is just one option among several others that intend to tackle the problems with the network you yourself have mentioned (like the North-South regional rapid railway or the plans to unite the M2 line with suburban lines H8 & H9).

Demigod of DLM

Last edited by nbcee; March 1st, 2015 at 06:48 PM.
Old March 1st, 2015, 08:54 PM   #718
Criticalhun
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7494

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbcee View Post
You kinda missed the #1 priority at the moment which is the thourough refurbishment of the M3 line and its rolling stock which will cost a total of 160-200 Bn HUF. Also the M1 line's proposed extension(s) are combined with increasing the capacity of the line (check the third feasibility study here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7zs2r6hee..._kjPmWBsa?dl=0). And since we're at the FSs: there hasn't been any formal decision yet on which of these will become a reality, so the M1 extension is just one option among several others that intend to tackle the problems with the network you yourself have mentioned (like the North-South regional rapid railway or the plans to unite the M2 line with suburban lines H8 & H9).
That's right. The modernization of M3 cannot wait any longer, although i don't think that all the stations should be renovated. Apart from a couple of stations the rest is clean and functional so it would make more sense to extend the line in both directions in order to reach its full potential. As for M1, i don't even know why we have to take it into consideration in the first place. I know its only a proposal but why does it take priority over other more important projects like M5 or M4? It is beyond me. Don't get me wrong i like the M1 its a symbol of Hungarian engineering and a piece of art but the extension of this line will not make a big difference.
Of course, it's all hypothetical based on the goverment's lack of will and initiative to undertake projects of this magnitude.
This system would be awsome;
http://www.urbanrail.net/eu/hu/budap...roject-map.gif

nbcee liked this post

Last edited by Criticalhun; March 1st, 2015 at 09:24 PM.
Criticalhun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2015, 07:51 PM   #719
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26186

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=526

Budapest receives first CAF Urbos LRV
Friday, March 13, 2015

THE first of 37 Urbos low-floor LRVs being supplied by CAF for the tram network in Budapest arrived in the Hungarian capital in the early hours of March 11

The first vehicle to be delivered is one of 25 34m-long LRVs which will be delivered by the end of this year. The remaining 12 vehicles will be 56m long, surpassing the fleet of 40 55m-long Siemens Combino LRVs, which were the last major purchase by Budapest Transport Company (BKV).

The CAF vehicles have been ordered for BKV by Budapest transport Centre (BKK). The deal included options for up to 87 additional LRVs, and BKK has already exercised the first option for 10 34m-long vehicles, which will be delivered next year

loloo liked this post
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2015, 10:39 PM   #720
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

We're now only a few days away from travelling on the new section of tram line 1 between Közvágóhíd and Etele út/Fehérvári út.

But the big news is that the mayor of BP said that among other projects (like the thorough refurbishment of the M3 metro line and buying new metro cars, trams, trolleybuses, etc.) they will expand the tram network even further. They will (re)build the tracks between Keleti pályaudvar and the microaion of District XV (which will cost 26 Bn HUF) and extend tram line 1 from both ends, until Kelenföld vasútállomás (8.5 Bn HUF) and to Aranyvölgy (11 Bn HUF).

I've made (okay it wasn't that much work) a map for you guys.

(yellow = current tram network*; red = u/c tram tracks**; green = planned extensions officially announced today)

My map is mostly based on this one:
http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budapes...ay_network.png

*I also kept the colour yellow on tracks which are undergoing some reconstruction at the moment
**I didn't indicate short sections which are also being built e.g. a connection at Széll Kálmán tér or tracks in Török utca

Demigod of DLM

Last edited by nbcee; March 19th, 2015 at 11:37 AM.

Tags
budapest, transport