daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 12th, 2015, 12:22 PM   #741
Criticalhun
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7494

Budapest’s M4 Metro To Operate In Driverless Mode From Monday

"The test period of automated control, began on Budapest’s new metro line 4 in mid-March, has entered its final phase. In the two-week beginning from next Monday, experts from the national transportation authority, the Centre for Budapest Transport (BKK) and Siemens, the company which developed the system, will test the operation of the driverless system amid regular passenger traffic. This will include how fast telephone operators based at stations and the control centre will be able to locate errors on the autonated trains. Stewards will continue to be present on the trains but will only interfere after a certain period of time because solving any possible errors will be the task of the dispatchers.

Careful testing is necessary for the final permit to be issued. According to the Centre for Budapest Transport, the trains will be controlled by a central, automated system which complies with the strictest security standards, elaborated with the assistance of highly-acclaimed international and domestic companies. The final permit will be issed after evaluations have come to a close, some time at the end of the year. Following this, temporary driver’s compartments on trains will be dismantled.

Minor interruptions in traffic on the line are possible in the final phase of testing, BKK added."

Once the driver's cabin is eleminated, it gonna be like riding the Docklands Light railway. Can't wait.

dimlys1994 liked this post
Criticalhun no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2015, 01:52 PM   #742
Criticalhun
BANNED

Millenium metro could be replaced

"Carriages of Budapest’s metro line 1, also known as Millennium Underground Railway or M1 – the oldest line in the Budapest Metro system – could be replaced between 2014-2020, Hungarian portal design.hu reported today.

A plan is in place to replace the carriages based on the designs of Péter Kukorelli, a graduate of the Moholy-Nagy University of Art and Design Budapest. Kukorelli is currently employed in Barcelona and has already worked with the Centre for Budapest Transport BKK and its operator BKV, the portal says, adding that the new carriages could be driverless."

It's weird looking from the outside and the front overhang of the driverless cabin would reduce capacity which is already an issue with this line so i don't think it's the right design. The interior is awsome though.
Note the new logo; a tribute to its glorious past.
Old April 12th, 2015, 03:33 PM   #743
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1821

M1 is more like light-rail than heavy metro so couldn't they use light rail vehicles on that line?
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 03:45 PM   #744
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Likes (Received): 14014

The tunnels have unique parameters so this line requires unique trains.

Emperor of Bir Tawil and the Nbcee farmlands
Demigod of DLM
nbcee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2015, 06:13 AM   #745
matt91486

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbcee View Post
The tunnels have unique parameters so this line requires unique trains.
I think the design for these new trains is pretty beautiful, but capacity reduction is a problem, especially if they are eventually considering extending the line. I'll be sad to lose some of the old ones though.
matt91486 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2015, 02:41 PM   #746
Brenda goats

Likes (Received): 152

We love the M1 metro and the quirky trains

Brenda goats no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 03:12 PM   #747
Fron

Likes (Received): 1434

New buses for Budapest

Mercedes Conecto G Euro 6 solo:

Solaris Trollino 12&18:

Fron no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2015, 10:57 PM   #748
Andrej_LJ

Likes (Received): 5204

Hi guys!
I am writing to you from Sofia, Bulgaria and I urgently need some information on Budapests experience in public transport. You see, we are 5 young guys who formed an NGO fighting for better public transport. I visited Budapest two times and I very much liked the small concrete barriers that divide the tram lines from the rest of the street. We would like to propose this solution to the Municipality of Sofia.
Can you please give me all the information on these small barriers that you can: price, producer (Hungarian or imported?), any contacts of those producers, what they are made from, how durable are they in Budapest, maybe some tender documents where a price and producer is visible…

I very much thank all of you in advance for the effort. You can write the answers to me on private message as well.
Best regards from Sofia.

Klausenburg liked this post
Andrej_LJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2015, 01:19 PM   #749
Criticalhun
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrej_LJ View Post
Hi guys!
I am writing to you from Sofia, Bulgaria and I urgently need some information on Budapests experience in public transport. You see, we are 5 young guys who formed an NGO fighting for better public transport. I visited Budapest two times and I very much liked the small concrete barriers that divide the tram lines from the rest of the street. We would like to propose this solution to the Municipality of Sofia.
Can you please give me all the information on these small barriers that you can: price, producer (Hungarian or imported?), any contacts of those producers, what they are made from, how durable are they in Budapest, maybe some tender documents where a price and producer is visible…

I very much thank all of you in advance for the effort. You can write the answers to me on private message as well.
Best regards from Sofia.
Hi Andrej
Sure. Always glad to help you guys.
The traffic separation barrier you need information about is called " beton gömb süveg" or "beton gömb süveg sor" in Hungarian but don't even try to pronounce it you'll have a hard time getting it right. In English it's "road separation cap" but there could be other names for it.
I found a manufacturer for you in the Southeastern Hungarian city of Hódmezővásárhely called Csomiep Kft. They have info in English as well.
http://www.csomiep.eu/

Nice projects you're having especially the Sofia metro and the new airport extension is just icing on the cake.

Andrej_LJ, dresdener78, Klausenburg liked this post
Old April 27th, 2015, 02:45 AM   #750
historyworks
Perpetual Bohemian

Likes (Received): 316

There are also more conventional berms like this example in Prague:

It's probably just a matter of aesthetics unless the Hungarian "bumps" have some practical advantage.

Andrej_LJ liked this post
historyworks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2015, 04:04 PM   #751
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1821

I also thought that the Hungarian "bumps" look quite nice when I visited Budapest. They definitely stood out compared to other solutions I've seen.

There are also asymmetrical "bumps" which are slanted on one side, like here: https://www.google.ee/maps/@47.49110...AC7A!2e0?hl=et
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2015, 06:53 PM   #752
MiaM

Likes (Received): 85

Another solution, used for example in Gothenburg, Sweden, is to have the tram/bus lanes a few centimetres higher up than the lanes for private cars. With the tram/bus lanes in the middle of the street there is no risk of people mixing up what is a tram/bus lane and what is a pedestrian walkway area.
MiaM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2015, 11:49 PM   #753
historyworks
Perpetual Bohemian

Likes (Received): 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
I also thought that the Hungarian "bumps" look quite nice when I visited Budapest. They definitely stood out compared to other solutions I've seen.

There are also asymmetrical "bumps" which are slanted on one side, like here: https://www.google.ee/maps/@47.49110...AC7A!2e0?hl=et
Well certainly either of those methods you would definitely feel it if you accidentally drove over it!

The Gothenburg method is also used on Gold Coast, Australia. The important thing is that emergency vehicles can surmount the barrier.
Old May 9th, 2015, 08:45 AM   #754
COOLancs

Likes (Received): 962

http://iho.hu/hir/ma-ejjel-is-tekerg...s-cafka-150507

Pilot run of CAF Urbos 3 trams:

Old May 17th, 2015, 10:16 PM   #755
Criticalhun
BANNED

A little update on Metro 3 and 4

Bad news for all metro fans. M4 will not be extended towards 'Bosnyak ter' which would have been the eastern extension with four stations. The local authorities have decided to build a tram instead, killing the project all together. This is a heinous political interference with the city's public transport development and surely, one of the worst decisions from a technical point of view. In fact, the current administration never had any intention of building the second section, blaming lack of funding and other nonsense, which is of course BS, so the line remains unfinished possibly for decades to come. Although, a short western extension is still likely.

The rolling stock consists of Alstom Metropolis train sets, which also run on M2.

And this takes us to M3

The next significant project in Budapest will be the modernization of M3, having been already delayed for a few years. Some of the trains are pushing 40, therefore they should be replaced by new ones but unfortunately the city will go for a complete refurbishment. It means that this Sovie-made carriages will still be running in Budapest around 2040.

State of disrepair

And the "new ones". Refurbished carriages in Moscow.

Anyhow, i didn't wanna upset any metro fan, however we sometimes have no choice but to accept the facts and move on.
In the meantime, we have to make do with a couple of insignificant, almost unnecessary tram extensions motivated by political bickering, going on for ages.
So, it's not looking up but every cloud has a silver lining. The Hungarian Railways has promising plans to improve the city's transportation by introducing an interconnecting train line, cutting through the entire city north/south, a suburban/S-bahn-like system. Although, it would be an orbital line, bypassing central Budapest.
The plan just surficed a week ago, so we'll see.

dimlys1994, Trupman liked this post
Old May 18th, 2015, 06:50 PM   #756
Tramwayman
Trams the Best!!!

Likes (Received): 530

Good decision to build Tram lines

Tramwayman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2015, 08:18 PM   #757
Criticalhun
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramwayman View Post
Good decision to build Tram lines
Not really. Due to high capacity (80-100 thousand p/per/day), this route (M4) to 'Bosnyak ter' requires metro. Remember, this was a political decision not a technical one.
Old May 18th, 2015, 09:32 PM   #758
Tramwayman
Trams the Best!!!

Likes (Received): 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criticalhun View Post
Not really. Due to high capacity (80-100 thousand p/per/day), this route (M4) to 'Bosnyak ter' requires metro. Remember, this was a political decision not a technical one.
Well I guess you now well the cost of Metro line and Tram line, you could be right about this route but Budapest need more tram lines, especially in city center.
Tramwayman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2015, 11:40 PM   #759
Criticalhun
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramwayman View Post
Well I guess you now well the cost of Metro line and Tram line, you could be right about this route but Budapest need more tram lines, especially in city center.
Of course, the cost of metro is significantly higher, however leaving a metro line incomplete is the worst thing you can do to the passenger, the very entity it was built for. Unnecessary transfers make the passangers look for other alternatives which basically renders the line inefficient. In terms of passanger figures, it's quite busy but due to its short lenght, it cannot reach its full potential.
Actually, Budapest doesn't need more tram lines. What it needs is the merging of several existing lines in order to incorporate them into a network.
Old June 24th, 2015, 02:29 PM   #760
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26144

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=525

Budapest approves new metro-railway link
Wednesday, June 24, 2015

THE Municipality of Budapest voted on June 23 in favour of building a connection between metro Line 2 and the HÉV suburban rail line to Gödöllő to allow through running between both lines

HÉV used to reach the city centre, but was cut back when the metro was built, necessitating a change of trains at Örs vezér tere with passengers having to use an underpass. The new link will make it possible to connect the two lines and introduce dual-voltage trains which can use both the third rail and overhead power supply systems.

A detailed feasibility study concluded that the project will make commuting easier for 40,000 people and that travel times will be reduced by 30% while headways will be cut on the HÉV line as extended metro services will supplement existing HÉV services

mrsmartman, geometarkv liked this post
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
budapest, transport