daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 2nd, 2016, 03:58 PM   #801
Fron

Likes (Received): 1434

Quote:
Originally Posted by metr0p0litain View Post
I noticed on M2 and M4 metro trains, that there is a kind of gap in the acceleration between 35-40 km/h... Does anybody know, what's the reason for this? Sometimes the trains accelerate only for 5 or 10 km/h after the gap and it seemed to me very useless and uncomfortable.
Outgoing speed on CBTC equipped lines is limited to 40 km/h, so the train doesn't accelerate further until the a last carriage leaves the station. I have no idea why they introduced this restriction, before the resignalling on M2 and currently on M3 only the entry speed is limited.

metr0p0litain liked this post
Fron no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2016, 04:02 PM   #802
Brenda goats

Likes (Received): 152

.It would be good to integrate the H7 line more into the wider network

Ashis Mitra liked this post
Brenda goats no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2016, 03:17 PM   #803
metr0p0litain

Likes (Received): 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fron View Post
Outgoing speed on CBTC equipped lines is limited to 40 km/h, so the train doesn't accelerate further until the a last carriage leaves the station. I have no idea why they introduced this restriction, before the resignalling on M2 and currently on M3 only the entry speed is limited.
Thank you!
Old March 11th, 2016, 11:45 AM   #804
metr0p0litain

Likes (Received): 271

Have a look at all four metro lines of this impressive city in my new video about Budapest Metró:

nbcee, mrsmartman, Arnorian liked this post
metr0p0litain no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2016, 06:21 PM   #805
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5781

world's longest tram (56m) is in service in Budapest.

https://twitter.com/vitdavid/status/707588237573955585
Old March 27th, 2016, 06:34 AM   #806
Ashis Mitra

Likes (Received): 1145

Budapest’s metro system is one of those century old metro system. Originally started as an underground tram system, later changed to metro system. But due to origin as a tram system, line 1 still uses narrow rolling stocks, partly like tram, and despite underground line, it uses overhead wire. One the other hand line 4 is planned to run as a driverless metro system.

I don’t understand why they plan such a conversion. Driverless metro is costly in term of maintenance.

I want to know the answer of these questions please –
1) When the extension of M1 to Rákosrendező rail station will open?
2) The most interesting part is that M2 may be united with Gödöllő suburban line. What does it mean? Will suburban train lines H8 & H9 be converted to metro line i.e change from overhead wire to third rail, and separate the trackway from outsider, etc? Please write details. If yes, when will this converted extension open?
3) M3 might be extended northwards from Újpest-Központ to Káposztásmegyer, with 3-5 stations, since most of the surface track have been laid down about 10 years ago and is currently being used by trams. A southern extension to the Ferihegy Airport has been proposed. These are also very interesting, are this means that it will convert tram route 14 to metro line, i.e closing all tram stops, and adding some surface metro station, separated from outsiders, etc? Please write details. If yes, when will this converted extension open? Also write the opening date of southern extension upto Airport
4) Will M4 be extended towards Szentmihalyi, Viragpiac and Budafoc Bulvarog, if yes then when will these be opened?
5) M5 is planned, and the interesting thing is like M2 extension, it may me convert suburban line H5, H6, H7 to metro line. I want to know these plan details also, and interest about the conversion. When will be the construction started?
6) Left side, right side or both sides, - which type of platforms are in most numbers in Budapest subway network?

- As a result, in future, Budapest Metro will be much extended by conversion of all suburban rail lines and a part of tram system. Wooow, this is great, we can’t even imagine it in India!!!!!!
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2016, 10:21 AM   #807
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Likes (Received): 14025

Well yes, line 1 is an urban electrified railway that runs on a fully segregated track, but its capacity is a bit lower than what is in the usual definitions of a metro line. When line 2 was opened, they referred to the first one as "underground line" and to the second one as "the metro". They only started referring to them as "metro line 1" and "metro line 2" after the third one opened.

Regarding your questions, the extensions are only at an early planning stage with no finishing dates. With keeping this in mind, the other details are
1) As of today it is more likely that the M1 line will
1A) get a short extension to Vigadó tér to provide better connections to tram line#2
1B) get a new stop between Széchenyi Fürdő and Mexikói út to provide better connections to tram line#1
1C) be extended to Kassai tér, not Rákosrendező in the north.
2) There are several various plans to do this, and some do include getting new trains which will be able to operate both from third rails and overhead wires
3) It will most likely be like that in the north, though of course some works need to be done on the tracks but the proposed extension will follow the current tram line, yes. Also, if this becomes a reality, a depot will also be constructed there.
4) The extension to Budaörs is very unlikely, if one day there will be a serious incentive to extend the line, they will most likely do it to Gazdagrét (in the Southwest) or to Zugló vasútállomás or Bosnyák tér (in the Northeast)
5) Again, there are various different plans for this, one of which you can see in this link. But I will also mention some details in the end.
6) All stops on line M1 have side platforms and all stops on line M4 have central platforms. Line M2 has nine central platform stations from Déli pályaudvar to Keleti pályaudvar and Örs vezér tere (which is a terminus, so some trains can arrive to two platforms, and there is even a third one which is used sometimes). Pillangó utca has side platforms and at Puskás Ferenc Stadion the metro cars use the first and the fourth of the four tracks (so in a way it is also a station with a central platform). Line M3 has six side platform stations in the north between Dózsa György út and Újpest-Központ, nine stops with central platforms between Lehel tér and Nagyvárad tér and the last five stops also have side platforms, though both northbound and southbound trains open their doors on the left side at Határ út (which has not two but three tracks) and Kőbánya-Kispest.

And as for the suburban railway lines, H5, H6, H8 and H9 will be operated by the state railways soon and this change can mean that these are likely to be integrated into the railway network. There is a plan that if Budapest will host the 2024 Olympic Games, then Line H7 will be integrated into the tram network - a move with which I personally don't agree with.

Emperor of Bir Tawil and the Nbcee farmlands
Demigod of DLM

dimlys1994, Ashis Mitra liked this post

Last edited by nbcee; March 28th, 2016 at 01:45 PM.
nbcee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2016, 11:20 AM   #808
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26186

How about chances of creation of cross-city suburban railway lines across Budapest using existing H-numbered lines?

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2016, 12:54 PM   #809
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

That is what the project mentioned in 5) is supposed to be about. (Though it will not include H8 and H9). But with the things mentioned in the last paragraph of my previous post, it's not certain that they will want to go in this direction...

Demigod of DLM

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old March 28th, 2016, 12:50 PM   #810
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashis Mitra View Post
I want to know the answer of these questions please
1., Most probably never, but surely not in the following ten years.
2., Nothing. The chance of M2 and H8/9 being merged tends to zero.
3., Not any extension of M3 will be built in the following ten years.
4., No, nothing like that is planned.
5., M5 is planned but only theoretically, there is no real chance for it being built.
I'm sorry but I think your informations are a little bit outdated (and were never really precise). Budapest traffic organization BKK made several plans for subway extensions but they made it basically because EU paid for designing so it was possibly to give a job for engineers without using Hungarian public money. But no one ever thought that all of them can be built and in the current financial and political situation I am almost sure that not any of those extensions will be actually built, and I'm absolutely sure that not any of them will be built in ten years.
Fact: Not any of them is even prepared for construction.

Ashis Mitra liked this post
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2016, 01:09 PM   #811
Ashis Mitra

Dear nbcee & Atuss - thanks for your detailed answers. It is quite practical that H5, H6, H8 & H9 will be transferred to MAV, for unification and standardisation of the suburban rail network. But it is really amazing that H7 may be converted to a tram line. Very few cities in the world like Melbourne, Sydney, Dublin etc. done this.
Old March 28th, 2016, 01:10 PM   #812
Ashis Mitra

Budapest’s tram system is one of the large. Although many routes have closed in last 50 years, but the network is still very strong. One thing I saw that the colour livery of Budapest tram & Sofia tram is same.

After repeatedly closure, at last one extension occurred, i.e route 1 has extended upto Etele Ut. The extension runs parallel with suburban rail line, and crosses the River Dona. Is there a common bridge wish carries both rail line and tram line? Or there are separate bridges. Please write some details.

There is also an underground portion on route 2 at Fovam Ter. Fovam Ter Also has a metro station. Is there a common tunnel wish carries both metro line and tram line? Or there are separate tunnels. Please write some details.

I want to know the answer of these questions please –

1) Why the tram service between Becsi Ut and Clark Adam Ter is not running? Is this a temporary closure or permanent?
2) Is there any plan to extend the network with new lines? If yes, please write some details and post a complete map with planned extensions.
3) Reserved or unreserved - which type of track layout is common in Budapest tramway network?
4) Which is the busiest tram terminus?
Old March 28th, 2016, 02:14 PM   #813
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

They are two separate bridges next to each other. On this photo you can see the South Rail Bridge in the left (with two railway tracks) and the Rákóczi bridge next to it (with 2x2 lanes for cars and the tram tracks in between those):

http://www.bkk.hu/2015/02/lezajlott-...robaterhelese/
(Note that the Siemens Combinos in the picture are only there as a test, as the line is currently being served by Tatras - with some CAFs coming in the near future)

No, tram line #2 only gets a bit under the ground while the M4 line runs much deeper.

Regarding your other questions:
1) The trams run on the full route again. Recently they converted tram lines on the Buda side of the city into the "Interconnected tram network of Buda" which is why for example the former route of tram line #17 was closed for refurbishment from Margit híd to Bécsi út. They also have been working on the tram tracks at Clark Ádám tér, but now all works are finished and trams can run on their full routes again.
2) There are many plans, though just like with the metro lines, the preparations for those haven't even started. I would say the most likely is the extension of line #1 from Etele út to Kelenföld vasútállomás
3) You can find many examples for both, though with the busiest lines you simply must have reserved or mostly reserved tracks.
4) The busiest tram lines in the world are #4 and #6, and their joint terminus at Széll Kálmán tér - which also has many crossing tram lines can be marked as the busiest.

Demigod of DLM

Ashis Mitra, manorytas liked this post
Old March 29th, 2016, 04:42 PM   #814
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26186

Two years of metro line 4:

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2016, 06:04 AM   #815
Ashis Mitra

Wooooooooow, nbcee always give the such details answers, thank you very much
Old March 30th, 2016, 08:32 AM   #816
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

(Even though I'm a bit more optimistic than Attus)

Demigod of DLM
Old April 1st, 2016, 02:35 PM   #817
Ashis Mitra

That's the great spirit.
Old April 4th, 2016, 05:52 PM   #818
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5781

Renovations at Széll Kálmán tér subway station

https://twitter.com/vitdavid/status/716670486982365184

World's longest tram

https://twitter.com/vitdavid/status/715831052342833153

dimlys1994 liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2016, 11:25 PM   #819
dars-dm
Cotton

Likes (Received): 17810

81-717/14 modernized for Budapest metro at Metrowagonmash in Moscow
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERIDAN.m View Post
Покуда тут обсуждаем выливание цистерн краски на номерные, ради "имиджа" ММ, и туалетный "ремонт" вестибюлей и подземный переходов. МВМ для Будапешта состряпал модернизированный номерной (а судя по продлению срока службы на 30 лет, сделал полностью новый) да ещё и с АТД.
И что-то мне кажется, что наш "многомудрый" ДепТранс вместо выбрасывания средств на страшненькую ливрею, лучше бы отправлял вагоны на полную модернизацию.

Согласитесь, глядя на это, в голову залезает крамольный вопрос "А на то ли у нас деньги тратят?"

Как только проедят напечатанные амерами баблосы, нефтя будет падвацать, хас папиисяд, а толяр - пасто диривянных. И ражко сразу развалиццо. Патаму шо она сичаз разваливаиццо, хотя нефтя ещё не падвацать
dars-dm está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2016, 04:06 PM   #820
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6791

Some photos of the Budapest public transport:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
Budapeszt. Ikarus "typu 260" (turystyk, więc rzeczywiste oznaczenie jest pewnie inne) jako autokar turystyczny:

[...]

Wracamy do Budapesztu.

Deak Ferenc ter, czyli plac Ferenca Deaka. Najważniejszy węzeł przesiadkowy w mieście:

Najstarsza linia metra. W przeciwieństwie do pozostałych linii, jest to metro płytkie, biegnące bezpośrednio pod ulicą. Otwarta w 1896, wybudowana by zapewnić transport z centrum do parku, w którym odbywała się wystawa:

Tory malowniczej, biegnącej brzegiem Dunaju, linii tramwajowej nr 2:

Tabor autobusowy. Typu mini, bo ta linia łączy jedno ze wzgórz z dolną częścią miasta:

Trolejbus Ikarus 280. Rzadko się je już spotyka w Budapeszcie. Większość taboru to nowsze Ikarusy oraz Solarisy Trollino:

To nowszy typ Ikarusa:

Jeszcze metro. To wnętrze wagonu opisanej już wcześniej linii metra nr 1:

Wagony są bardzo małe (a pociągi, swoją drogą, bardzo krótkie) i nie ma między nimi przejść.

Linia nr 3:

Także obsługiwana starym i głośnym taborem, ale tu już są przejścia międzywagonowe. I to już metro głębokie.

Linia nr 2 obsługiwana jest nowoczesnym taborem:

To by było na tyle jeśli chodzi o Budapeszt.

dimlys1994, MiaM liked this post
Kpc21 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
budapest, transport