daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 13th, 2007, 10:17 PM   #21
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Well everyone has different opinions, but I can agree because today I don't consider stuff under around 150M a skyscraper, so I guess it could be Philadelphia too!
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 14th, 2007, 02:45 AM   #22
velut arbor aevo

Likes (Received): 11

well, it really depends on how you define skyscrapers, it could be measured by height, or from the viewpoint of history, how long it had been the tallest in a place, either in a absolute or relative sense
velut arbor aevo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 03:10 AM   #23
Chicagoflo
Frmr. Dallas Star

Likes (Received): 0

Chicagos the bith place but New Yorks definetely got more towers... The fewer the more charming like they always say lol
Old October 14th, 2007, 05:34 AM   #24
charmedone

Likes (Received): 86

i still say new york city when you look at building such as the Empire State Building,The Chrysler Building,40 Wall Street,GE Building,American International Building,Woolworth Building,20 Exchange Place,570 Lexington Avenue,

just to name a few these are some of the tallst building made at a time when chicago wasent really building such tall sky scrapers this is why i think new york is the true home of the sky scraper also the home for the first super tall the empire state building also its home to the frist building to have 100 floors even though the empire state building has 102
charmedone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 06:17 AM   #25
VisionMIA
----------------->

Likes (Received): 643

born in Chicago
Raised in New York
VisionMIA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 06:44 AM   #26
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

The first supertall was the Chrysler Building, then the ESB.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 09:54 PM   #27
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 26

The first steel skeleton skyscraper was built in Chicago. I didnt even know this was debatable.
cbotnyse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 04:02 PM   #28
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedone View Post
i still say new york city when you look at building such as the Empire State Building,The Chrysler Building,40 Wall Street,GE Building,American International Building,Woolworth Building,20 Exchange Place,570 Lexington Avenue,

just to name a few these are some of the tallst building made at a time when chicago wasent really building such tall sky scrapers this is why i think new york is the true home of the sky scraper also the home for the first super tall the empire state building also its home to the frist building to have 100 floors even though the empire state building has 102
Actually during this time some of the greatest skyscrapers of all time were going up in Chicago. 35 Wacker,The Chicago Board of trade, The Wrigley, The Tribune Tower, Mather Tower, The Playboy/ Palmolive, The Pittsfield Building, Merchandise Mart, Lasalle- Wacker Building, Metropolitan Tower, Carbon and Carbide, and The Chicago Temple Building.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 04:56 PM   #29
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl View Post
Actually during this time some of the greatest skyscrapers of all time were going up in Chicago. 35 Wacker,The Chicago Board of trade, The Wrigley, The Tribune Tower, Mather Tower, The Playboy/ Palmolive, The Pittsfield Building, Merchandise Mart, Lasalle- Wacker Building, Metropolitan Tower, Carbon and Carbide, and The Chicago Temple Building.
They just dont build them like that anymore.
Old October 15th, 2007, 09:16 PM   #30
charmedone

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl View Post
true and there all greta buildings but they lacked alot in hight compaired to whhat new york city was building idk why chicago had hight restrctions on there buildings back then
Old October 21st, 2007, 08:49 AM   #31
bluto

Likes (Received): 0

Its Chicago. Obviously the important criterion here is building technology, i.e. the steel frame. If height were the exclusive consideration then Italian belltowers, European cathedrals, Asian pagodas, Indian stupas, Middle Eastern minarets, or even Egyptian pyramids and obelisks could all lay some kind of claim as the germseed of tall structures. How about the tower of Babel? With the contemporary preference for concrete, Rome deserves a nod. Industrial England, particularly Liverpool, played an important role in modern construction methods. Unheralded Cincinatti is home to the first reinforced concrete skyscraper. Otis contributes on the New York end of things. SOM's innovations are really the clincher for today's supertalls. And yes, as a lifelong Chicagoan, I concede that New York refined and perfected the art of tall buildings.

Last edited by bluto; October 21st, 2007 at 10:49 AM.
bluto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 12:13 AM   #32
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

Why did Chicago demolished its very first skyscraper, the Home Ins Bldg?
Old October 22nd, 2007, 05:20 AM   #33
charmedone

well even if chicago is the home of the skyscraper new york is hime to the frist super tall and the frist building to have 100 floors or more
Old October 23rd, 2007, 11:00 PM   #34
TalB
Refugee

At least in NYC we still have our first skyscraper which is the Potter Bldg.

image hosted on flickr
Old October 24th, 2007, 07:50 AM   #35
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12198

It depends if you are referring to the "modern" International Style highrise, or the older 19th century one. The older ones are from New York, and Chicago is the birthplace of the modern "skyscraper". The Bauhaus School of Architecture fled Germany during the war and set up in Chicago. A stroke of luck for The Windy City!

by the way you can see that the Potter Building, above, probably had two extra storeys added to the original.
The first skyscraper in Canada was in Montreal, from the 1880's...

Old October 24th, 2007, 11:02 AM   #36
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 36

It doesn't matter who started first, because the competition of the two is why we have such great skyscrapers today. The US's first and second cities engaging in a competition incomparable until today is why we have such amazing buildings all over the world. Chicago is the little brother that said "look what I can do", NYC the older brother that said "well, watch this", and then the two went back and forth and created masterworks.

Modern skyscrapers would have never developed in the timeframe they did without the competition.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 07:12 PM   #37
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalB View Post
Why did Chicago demolished its very first skyscraper, the Home Ins Bldg?
it really is a damn shame that building got the ax. I still cant believe it did, and I've never really read why, or why no one tried to save it.
Old October 25th, 2007, 12:22 AM   #38
TalB
Refugee

We are no different than Chicago over here in NYC b/c the World, Manhattan Life Ins, and Singer Bldgs were all demolished and those were the first three buildings that were built that gave NYC the WTB.
Old October 25th, 2007, 09:47 PM   #39
Gary_A_Hill

Likes (Received): 1

Sullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbotnyse View Post
... exactly. Chicago built the first steel frame, which made taller structures possible.

The answer to this thread is Chicago.
Yes. The structural innovation is what matters, not the height. Also, Chicago was the home of Louis Sullivan, who first gave expression to the tall building when other architects were resisting it with designs which looked like a stack of several short buildings.
Gary_A_Hill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 01:37 AM   #40
Jayskyline
Build Higher and Higher

Likes (Received): 4

Chicago. History tells it.
Jayskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote