daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old November 23rd, 2008, 06:56 PM   #301
KingmanIII
Registered User
 
KingmanIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Killa City, Misery
Posts: 2,339
Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieP View Post
Gaelic football fans in Ireland call it soccer, and rugby fans in South Africa call it soccer, since they follow a different kind of football. You do realise there are different kinds of football, don't you?
Exactly.

This concept is foreign to people from countries where association football is the most popular form of football.
KingmanIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old November 23rd, 2008, 07:33 PM   #302
Lydon
Moderator
 
Lydon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cape Town
Posts: 18,763
Likes (Received): 2176

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazorliax View Post
Sorry men, i dont know where did you get that info but neither the Irish nor the Puerto Ricans call it Soccer and even do South African people call it soccer this is an international tournament ruled by FIFA, and even the US people called it Football on every oficial post on World Cup 94
South Africans call it soccer, and so has every Irish person I've spoken to.

Let's put it this way: we don't care what FIFA call it. FIFA don't have to maintain the stadium for the rest of it's existence after 2010 now do they?
__________________
CAPE TOWN
Lydon está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 07:37 PM   #303
flierfy
Registered User
 
flierfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,607
Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieP View Post
Gaelic football fans in Ireland call it soccer, and rugby fans in South Africa call it soccer, since they follow a different kind of football. You do realise there are different kinds of football, don't you?
There is just one game in which the ball is predominantly played by feet and deserves to be called football therefore.
__________________
Rippachtal.de
flierfy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 08:49 PM   #304
CharlieP
Registered User
 
CharlieP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Wakefield, Little Satan
Posts: 21,933
Likes (Received): 515

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
There is just one game in which the ball is predominantly played by feet and deserves to be called football therefore.
That's pretty much irrelevant when the name football came from the fact that it was played on foot.
__________________
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
CharlieP está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 02:27 AM   #305
flierfy
Registered User
 
flierfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,607
Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieP View Post
That's pretty much irrelevant when the name football came from the fact that it was played on foot.
You play almost every game on your feet. So what's your point?
__________________
Rippachtal.de
flierfy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 02:42 AM   #306
Shezan
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The 80s
Posts: 16,243
Likes (Received): 10

lovely structure
Shezan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 06:38 AM   #307
cazorliax
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MEXICO, D.F.
Posts: 128
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
There is just one game in which the ball is predominantly played by feet and deserves to be called football therefore.

Thank u men, you do understand what i'm talking about, and about the comment of the guy who said that there's no difference from the name football with all other sports because they're played on your feet, " Well you're right men, so from now on it's gonna be football tennis, football basketball, football baseball, etc. because they're played on your feet right???? and to the other guy well, i've just met a few irish but one of them told that AND I QUOTE he hated the yankees because they didn't stand the fact that Footaball is the one we all play, not soccer and that there football was what i guess we all called american football "

But nevermind i dont wanna turn the subject of this thread, i just wanted to make my point and i did and i guess you all make yours, and once again i want to let South African people know that the stadium is amazing and that they should be very very proud of it
cazorliax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 08:17 AM   #308
Durbsboi
East Coast Massiv
 
Durbsboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Durban
Posts: 16,506
Likes (Received): 36

We call it Soccer, nuff said....

anyway "FOOTBALL CITY" sounds abit daft IMO
__________________
Ðŭґطąמ
South Africa's Playground!



Bucket Facebook Page
Durbsboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 10:56 AM   #309
Quintana
Registered Abuser
 
Quintana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 美好的码头
Posts: 4,088
Likes (Received): 442

So does Soccer City to be honest.
Quintana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 12:10 PM   #310
Mo Rush
life.love.everything else
 
Mo Rush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cape Town
Posts: 28,993
Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS4EVER View Post
It reminds me of the proposed Perth stadium.
you mean previously proposed.
__________________
You don't need a Holiday, you need CAPE TOWN
#cityofinspiration


Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 01:40 PM   #311
CharlieP
Registered User
 
CharlieP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Wakefield, Little Satan
Posts: 21,933
Likes (Received): 515

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
You play almost every game on your feet. So what's your point?
Yes, but back in medieval times most sports enjoyed by the nobility involved riding a horse - hunting, falconry etc., so they called the violent melée that peasant folk were allowed to indulge in on religious holidays "football", partly as a term of status because the commoners didn't have horses.

All the early forms of football were different, but were generally a mass wrestle to try and get a "ball" from one end of a field or a town or whatever to the other. Kicking at the ball was pretty hazardous given the quality of both balls and footwear in those days and was often banned.

Later it wasn't just peasants and villagers who played "football", as the English public schools introduced the sport as an outlet for boys' energy - in most cases this was still a mass scrummage swaying one way and another across a field, but at some schools it could only be played in a confined space within the cloisters, so a kicking game was developed. In the 19th Century, when efforts really began to unify all the various codes, some people preferred the Cambridge rules where handling was generally banned, some preferring the more traditional rules popularised by Rugby School. Most forms of football today can be traced back to either of these two factions.

Sorry, I've forgotten what my point was.
__________________
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
CharlieP está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 10:38 PM   #312
Jenstz
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7
Likes (Received): 0

Any new photos of interior??? thanks
Jenstz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 10:58 PM   #313
Mo Rush
life.love.everything else
 
Mo Rush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cape Town
Posts: 28,993
Likes (Received): 51

Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 06:46 PM   #314
sollo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 111
Likes (Received): 0

sollo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 10:29 PM   #315
miguelon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tijuana
Posts: 608
Likes (Received): 66

its good ti have a massive, football only stadium for a WC final, sure Berlin Olimpic is beautiful, but it had a track and 20,000 less seats,\

the color of the seats looks very good, a good change from the blue-gray-red, that almost all new stadiums have.

Well done South Africa, hopefully you will have thousands of mexican fans, including myself
miguelon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2008, 12:58 AM   #316
Lydon
Moderator
 
Lydon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cape Town
Posts: 18,763
Likes (Received): 2176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintana View Post
So does Soccer City to be honest.
I love Soccer City. It's different and unlike Football City, it makes use of assonance.
__________________
CAPE TOWN
Lydon está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2008, 01:32 AM   #317
JimB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 8,814
Likes (Received): 854

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydon View Post
I love Soccer City. It's different and unlike Football City, it makes use of assonance.
Sorry to be pedantic but I think you mean "alliteration" (where two adjacent words start with the same letter or sound).

"Assonance" is when two adjacent words have similar sounding vowels or consonants - but not both. An example of assonance would be (instead of Soccer City): Round Town (similar vowel sound) or Bold Build (similar consonant sound).

Here endeth the lesson...
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2008, 07:43 AM   #318
Mo Rush
life.love.everything else
 
Mo Rush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cape Town
Posts: 28,993
Likes (Received): 51

image hosted on flickr
__________________
You don't need a Holiday, you need CAPE TOWN
#cityofinspiration


Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2008, 10:48 AM   #319
bing222
Registered User
 
bing222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 803
Likes (Received): 7

the seats are in already
__________________
SYDNEY FC PREMIERS

2010-11

SYDNEY FC CHAMPIONS

2005-06
2010-11
bing222 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2008, 11:36 AM   #320
Lydon
Moderator
 
Lydon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cape Town
Posts: 18,763
Likes (Received): 2176

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
Sorry to be pedantic but I think you mean "alliteration"
My bad...I indeed meant alliteration
__________________
CAPE TOWN
Lydon está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
johannesburg, soccer, south africa

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu