daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 29th, 2012, 07:38 PM   #201
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21248

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingstingsting View Post
Canada is more populated than Australia but Australia has well-developed intracity networks. Just comparing commuter networks, I'd agree that Canada's might need a bit of improvement.
Australia's population is concentrated, essentially, between Brisbane and Adelaide in an arch close to the coast. Only Perth sticks out among big cities.

Canada has many medium-sized out-of-the-way cities like Winnipeg, Regina, Edmonton, Calgary.

Moreover, Australian network is far from perfect: it is not practical to travel by train long distances, it takes too long, people just fly. And they have that break-of-gauge in Queensland, something Canada doesn't.

Sponsored Links
Old February 29th, 2012, 09:45 PM   #202
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Being sparsely populated should never serve as any excuse for deficient safety standards, right. No offense (honestly), but I find the state of this country's railways to be even more deplorable than (the few) New Zealand's own questionable examples I've chanced to watch filmed on ewetube.

So, Melbourne's commuter grade crossings aside, how does Australia's railway safety standards compare to this country's?

Anyhow, here's a rough map of the Quebec City-Windsor corridor -- I think about 12 000 000 people live within 70Km of it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post

Last edited by trainrover; February 29th, 2012 at 09:51 PM.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 11:33 PM   #203
trainrover

Today's :
Via Rail train probe finds high speeds in deadly crash
"... the train was travelling 67 miles an hour (108 km/h) while changing tracks. But the speed limit for changing tracks in the area that train was passing through is 15 m.p.h., or 24 km/h. ...

clickable...
:PFFT: All the Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto trains I've ridden exceeded 15MPH switching tracks, each switching was an uncomfortable experience ... heck, trackside, I remember watching a freight exceed the switching-track speed, it must've been doing 30MPH
Old March 2nd, 2012, 07:28 PM   #204
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Outside of the Windsor-Quebec City corridor, the only other place within Canada where I can see a useful intercity rail passenger service within the foreseeable future is Edmonton-Calgary.

Anyways, if/when the Canada-USA border checkpoints can be removed, I consider it a 'no brainer' for the Windsor-Quebec City corridor to be seamlessly connected to Amtrak's Detroit-Chicago services (and restore/redevelop the Michigan Central station? ), as well as upgrading the connection between Toronto-Niagara Falls with Amtrak's Empire Services, Montreal-NYC (and Boston?) Adirondack services and the Seattle-Vancouver Cascade Services line

Little else.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 08:01 PM   #205
trainrover

Second time the past few days somebody's taken to misnaming the corridor, plus the inherently long distances being written about apply more to the probably-most inactive thread throughout this very forum, CANADA | High Speed Rail.
Old March 8th, 2012, 02:41 AM   #206
trainrover

Yesterday's soft (more comprehensive than today's hard report):
TSB sounds the alarm on railway safety after derailments

St-Charles-De-Bellechasse, Feb 25 2010 - A derailed Via train is pictured is St-Charles-De-Bellechasse, East of Quebec city, February 25, 2010. The west-bound train derailed early in the morning, hitting a house but not killing anyone according to first report.
Death-trap loco from two weeks ago also landed on its side.
Old March 13th, 2012, 06:16 PM   #207
Neb81

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Today's :
"... the train was travelling 67 miles an hour (108 km/h) while changing tracks. But the speed limit for changing tracks in the area that train was passing through is 15 m.p.h., or 24 km/h. ...

clickable...
:PFFT: All the Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto trains I've ridden exceeded 15MPH switching tracks, each switching was an uncomfortable experience ... heck, trackside, I remember watching a freight exceed the switching-track speed, it must've been doing 30MPH
Does this stretch of track have an unusual point arrangement? In the UK its normal for trains on conventional tracks to cross points at much higher speeds than 15mph, or even 60mph for that matter.
Neb81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 11:34 PM   #208
trainrover

Somewhat correcting what I'd been implying, another newspaper article reported several days ago that the points, switch where the crash happened was unlike the majority of the them found throughout the corridor. The majority are supposedly gauged for 45MPH yet still make an uncomfortable ride at track-changing. High-speed points, turnouts, switches aren't known to be in the Canadian railway lexicon, as far as I can tell The points were deployed to avoid fouling nearby track maintenance, being an exceptional circumstance which must explain their existence, installation.
Old April 5th, 2012, 10:07 PM   #209
trainrover

In response to the following 17-month-old news:
today's -- deficient fencing plus breach of conduct kept being mentioned:
Radio-Canada* investigation looks into fatal train accident -- 11'49"
"... 'And yet deaths on Canadian railways are not uncommon.'
'Every week!' ..."
-- 1'21"

"... ' ...former transport safety board investigator had a look at the data compared to what is stipulated in the law.'
'Exactly. And what he says is here you have all the elements that come to the definition of what a threat is under the Act...'
'As it's written in the law.' ..."
-- 4'17

"... 'And that is the type of approach that has traditionally been followed by the industry and in fact by government that there's action taken after somebody is killed or injured, and public outcry arises, "What are you doing about that?!" and so something is done in the immediate area around where somebody was killed or injured.' ..." -- 6'15"
or
Radio-Canada* investigation looks into fatal train accident

clickable...
* Radio Canada = French-language CBC ... one-hour investigative report (in French) airs today at 9PM EDT.

Last edited by trainrover; April 5th, 2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old May 12th, 2012, 09:08 PM   #210
trainrover

Quote:
Old May 15th, 2012, 04:27 PM   #211
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Likes (Received): 891

Hi, I'm a newcomer in here. I would like to know more about railway in Canada, especially the passenger service over there.
Old May 16th, 2012, 04:10 AM   #212
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

Is there any way Amtrak's Maple Leaf can be rerouted through Hamilton?

seems like if that can be done ridership will be higher. A bit.
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 03:11 AM   #213
trainrover

Canadian passenger rail service is probably one of the crummiest and definitely underdeveloped; I bet Australian service would be far more interesting.

Aldershot station --served by the Maple Leaf-- is 8Km from Hamilton. If you zoom in to the bottom left corner of this map (you might have to click twice to open this pdf file), you'd see Hamilton lies on CPR's red Hamilton Sub, which appears to altogether bypass Niagara Falls, going to Buffalo instead, while the American and Canadian intercity services take CN's blue Grimsby Sub. Having just peeked at Go Transit's commuter timetable, it seems Hamiltonians must have successfully fought for the reintroduction of rail service period sometime the past 23 years.

I'm curious how long Maple Leaf customs inspections take each way; same curiosity for Cascades services
Old May 18th, 2012, 04:41 AM   #214
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Today's :

clickable...
Why on earth is CN only maintaining 15 mph points on what appears to be a mainline? Especially since their own trains have been known to do double their speed rating across them?

At least 30 mph points are needed--preferably, 50. (PRR mainlines maintained 50+ mph points 60 years ago.)
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2012, 08:52 PM   #215
trainrover

I think I myself had had to reread the article to learn that the points were seldom used, for --uhm-- rare track maintenance purposes, being why the turnout was activated The following is what happens with crummy safety standards in this country, and that's referring to the federally-regulated track, so who knows what the real death rate must be:

Last edited by trainrover; May 19th, 2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old May 28th, 2012, 08:50 PM   #216
Jay

Likes (Received): 1865

Quote:

Mind boggling...That is something you would see in a 3rd world country without regard for personal safety. Whosever idea that was not to put a guard there should be jailed.

There is no current plan for HSR in Canada is there? I would think it would be quicker to build one than its southern neighbor.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 11:53 PM   #217
trainrover

Blathering and blathering alone itself is all that's defined by Canadian HSR plan ... mind you, just by the filmer's car-speak (vocabulary) proves that it took somebody not from Quebec to go so far as to be narrating the stupid crossing ...

Yesterday's :
Bombardier paid arms dealer $35m to secure train contract

'Representative's commission' to Tunisian in South African deal
Old July 4th, 2012, 02:28 PM   #218
Suburbanist
on the road

VIA Rail overhauls schedule

From their own press release:

Quote:
NEW SCHEDULES
Transcontinental Trains

The Canadian: The Canadian currently provides three round trips per week, year round, between Toronto and Vancouver. Demand for this service is strong and growing during the summer months; VIA has invested more than $55 million to improve service along this route, and is upgrading equipment to meet customer needs.

Demand for this service during the off-peak season, however, is much lower, and has fallen steadily for the past 15 years. Three round trips per week during the off-peak season are no longer needed to meet demand. Beginning this November, The Canadian will offer two round trips per week during the off peak season.

The Ocean : The Ocean currently provides six round trips per week between Montréal and Halifax. VIA has invested more than $25 million to improve this service, and will continue to improve the value of this service to customers.

However, the current schedule, which has been essentially unchanged since 1990, no longer reflects current ridership or foreseeable market demand – ridership has dropped consistently for 15 years as other travel options (highways, air and bus services) have improved. Beginning this November, The Ocean will operate three round trips per week year round.

Quebec – Windsor Intercity Trains

The Montréal-Ottawa-Toronto triangle, where the demand for efficient intercity transportation is high and growing, is VIA's busiest market. In January 2012 VIA added new frequencies, including express services, between Montréal, Ottawa and Toronto. More frequencies will be added this year, and faster trains will reduce overall trip times.

The Southwestern Ontario market includes some of VIA's poorest-performing train services, where customer demand is very low. At the same time, new air services, and expanding commuter rail services in the Greater Toronto area, are further reducing the need for some weekday and weekend VIA services. Accordingly, VIA is reducing frequencies on some routes in Southwestern Ontario and will provide better integration with other public transportation services.

Montréal-Quebec City is a high demand market, and VIA hopes to add an additional frequency on this route later this year to meet the needs of customers.
Old July 6th, 2012, 02:24 AM   #219
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

It's a PC way of saying 'we're beginning to gut our system'.
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 03:57 AM   #220
Suburbanist
on the road

Whereas I can understand, even if I don't completely agree, with a government entity operating intercity and commuter opreations on the Québec City - Windsor corridor, nothing will convince me that 3-time-a-week transcontinental/overnight trains are some sort of public necessity that should be offered by the government at subsidized rates...

Tags
canada, canadian national, canadian pacific, cp rail, go transit, railways, via rail canada