daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 11th, 2015, 01:54 PM   #441
SpiderBHZ
FORA TEMER!!

Likes (Received): 2299

To travel by the Rocky Mountaineer coaches must be absolutely stunning!
SpiderBHZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2015, 06:14 AM   #442
Zack Fair

Likes (Received): 755

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I suppose it depends on what area is being included. In that link they're including an area that covers 139,931 km2 whereas Scania is 10,939 km2. If you were to include the desest 10,939 km2 of S. Ont or even the densest 50% the picture would be much different.

Much of that area in the wiki page falls under what many would classify as Eastern Ont rather than Southern.
Exactly, Innsertnamehere was probably referring to the Greater Golden Horseshoe region (pop. density: 277.53/km2) rather than Southern Ontario.
Zack Fair no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 07:42 AM   #443
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

I meant roughly within 100km of that photo. So roughly 30,000 square km, with a population of around 10 million, or around 300 people per square km.

Last edited by Innsertnamehere; March 31st, 2015 at 07:49 AM.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2015, 09:18 PM   #444
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10966

Canada has dense areas just like most countries (like Innsertnamehere has shown) but I agree with Svartmetall that southern Ontario isn't all that dense by European or even global standards. I'll use a comparison that many will be familiar with. Southern Ontario and England are almost identical in area but England has 4 times as many people. By north American standards, southern Ontario would be considered dense. If southern Ontario were a US state it would rank as the 11th most densely populated, just behind Ohio but ahead of California.

Southern Ontario
Area: 126,819 km2
Population: 12.7 million

England
Area: 130,395 km2
Population: 54.1 million

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; April 14th, 2015 at 09:55 PM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2015, 06:34 AM   #445
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Quote:
Via Rail hoping to present funding options for dedicated passenger rail line by end of 2015

MONTREAL – The CEO of VIA Rail, Yves Desjardins-Siciliano, said Tuesday the Crown corporation is discussing private funding with potential investors for a $3 billion dedicated passenger track over the summer and will bring proposals to its sole shareholder — the federal government — by the end of the year, or early 2016.

Desjardins-Siciliano said VIA will be meeting with the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec, the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System and the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan, which he describes as “the usual suspects who invest in passenger rail across the world,” in order to gauge interest in providing funds to build the Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto line.

“In Canada it just so happens that in the past 30 years we have developed world-class expertise in public private partnerships that have made some of our largest pension funds invest in passenger rail services in England, in Europe and across Canada,” said Yves Desjardins-Siciliano, CEO of VIA Rail, after delivering a speech to the Institut pour le partenariat public-privé in Montreal.

Desjardins-Siciliano said the potential investors could also come from outside Canada and that the final decision for partnerships in the project would be left to the government.

“Our task is to bring our shareholder options as to ways to do this. If our shareholder wishes to do it and who ultimately bids and wins the competition is left to the market and the government procurement rules,” he said.

“We’re not taking anything for granted and we’re not setting the table for anything other than what is the best solution at the cheapest cost to the Canadian taxpayer.”

Desjardins-Siciliano expects the return on investment for the project to be in the “mid-teens” and that construction would be completed within five years of establishing a partnership.

He said that VIA sharing the tracks with several companies transporting merchandise is slowing down the potential frequency of the faster passenger trains because of increased traffic.

Between 2010 and 2014, the number of people using VIA Rail’s services dropped from 4.1 million to 3.8 million. The company’s deficit reached $317 million.

“VIA Rail is an increasing burden on Canada’s taxpayers due to deteriorating on-time performance and the lack of frequencies to be relevant,” said Desjardins-Siciliano.

He said that in a second phase, the tracks could be extended east from Montreal towards Quebec City, and west from Toronto to London.
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Rail+ho...666/story.html

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old July 3rd, 2015, 01:27 PM   #446
Olbrzym

Likes (Received): 3

Hi everybody!
I' m looking information on freight train speed in Canada and some other countries (Germany, USA, Canada, France, India)... it's pity i can't find any info on national operators web-sites of the above countries... please, help me find info on freight train speed (average speed, service speed and freight delivery speed)
Olbrzym no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2015, 10:39 PM   #447
Olbrzym

Likes (Received): 3

nobody wants to answer me... awfully chagrined(((
Olbrzym no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2015, 01:26 AM   #448
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17032

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbrzym View Post
Hi everybody!
I' m looking information on freight train speed in Canada and some other countries (Germany, USA, Canada, France, India)... it's pity i can't find any info on national operators web-sites of the above countries... please, help me find info on freight train speed (average speed, service speed and freight delivery speed)
They don't move very fast in North America....I believe the average is just 50mph.... France , Germany & India are slightly faster...
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2015, 04:28 PM   #449
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26113

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=535

Funding agreed for Ottawa - Montreal upgrade
Monday, August 03, 2015

CANADIAN transport minister Mrs Lisa Raitt and Mr Yves Desjardins-Siciliano, president and CEO of Via Rail, announced on July 31 that the Canadian government will invest $C 102.5m ($US 77.6m) over two years to improve the safety and efficiency of passenger operations on the 187km Ottawa - Montreal corridor

Via Rail will use the funding to modify Renaissance coaches for use on Ottawa - Montreal services to provide a consistent level of service, improve access for passengers with disabilities, and replace older equipment

dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2015, 12:04 PM   #450
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1452

SD90MAC-H with Phase II Cab

mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2015, 01:08 PM   #451
geniusdevil

Likes (Received): 8

Beautiful!

mrsmartman liked this post
geniusdevil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2015, 01:22 PM   #452
geniusdevil

Likes (Received): 8

I am lovin' this thread
geniusdevil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2015, 07:11 PM   #453
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26113

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/i...bdivision.html

VIA Rail acquires Brockville Subdivision
27 Nov 2015

CANADA: VIA Rail Canada has acquired the Brockville Subdivision from Canadian Pacific. This comprises 45 km of single track between Smiths Falls and Brockville on the Ottawa – Toronto route in Ontario.

‘This acquisition will strengthen our rail network dedicated to passenger trains in the Ottawa region, where VIA Rail owns more than 200 km of track’, said VIA Rail President & CEO Yves Desjardins-Siciliano on November 23

dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2015, 10:03 PM   #454
Stainless

Likes (Received): 34

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/the180/letti...nada-1.3368299

Interesting radio interview with a Canadian train nerd with a replica carriage in his basement about the future of trains in Canada. I do agree somewhat about being on a train being more pleasant than a plane. However I think bringing back daily long distance trains might be a bit optimistic.
Old December 23rd, 2015, 05:45 AM   #455
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

One problem is, especially west of Lake Huron, most of the obvious corridors would link to American destinations. There aren't really any intermediate cities between Calgary and Regina, Edmonton and Saskatoon, or Regina or Saskatoon and Winnipeg. Or even between Thunder Bay and Sudbury. It's like the emptiness between Kansas City or Omaha and Denver, just compounded.
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2015, 07:27 AM   #456
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1673

You'd think there would be a frequent passenger train between Calgary and Edmonton. There's a direct line that passes through town after town, with a small city halfway in between(Red Deer). It would be part intercity, part regional commuter rail.

How come this hasn't happened?

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

Robi_damian liked this post

Last edited by zaphod; December 23rd, 2015 at 07:32 AM.
zaphod está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2015, 08:04 AM   #457
ainvan

Likes (Received): 17129

British Columbia

Wild Wild West!

Eastbound CN manifest crosses the Thompson River east of Ashcroft BC 12.05.2011 by Mick Page, on Flickr

Entering Black Canyon by Mike Danneman, on Flickr

Black Canyon’s rugged depths by Mike Danneman, on Flickr

What a light package! by Mike Danneman, on Flickr

Tourist in Ashcroft by Matthew Robson, on Flickr

Those curves by Lime Time, on Flickr
Old February 2nd, 2016, 05:59 PM   #458
mrsmartman

Vintage Train -- All Aboard on ALifeSettlement.com

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/338403359471164989/

Old February 24th, 2016, 03:20 PM   #459
mrsmartman

http://www.europeanrailwayreview.com...to-bombardier/
Old March 2nd, 2016, 03:00 AM   #460
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/na...917/story.html

Via Rail seeking federal budget funding for $1.3B passenger car upgrade in Toronto-Montreal corridor

Quote:
OTTAWA – Via Rail Canada Inc. is looking for funding in the March 22 federal budget for a new fleet of cars costing upwards of $1.3 billion that would go with a dedicated Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal passenger rail corridor that could be operational in fall 2019 with the government’s blessing.

Via chief executive Yves Desjardins-Siciliano told the Ottawa Citizen the rail carrier also wants the federal government to allow it to proceed with plans to have large pension funds invest in the $2-billion construction of the corridor, a move that requires a cabinet order.

Any budget dollars for a new fleet of Via cars for the corridor could be a potential boon to Bombardier Inc., which is looking for some federal financial aid and whose rail division could produce the passenger trains the Crown corporation wants.

Channelling federal dollars and powers to separate freight and passenger rail networks to allow for a dedicated Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto corridor was a key recommendation from a sweeping review of Canada’s transportation system, was tabled last week by the Liberal government.

On Monday, Desjardins-Siciliano said Via’s hopes for a dedicated passenger rail corridor fits nicely with the Liberal government’s plans to invest billions of dollars in large infrastructure projects that generate jobs, long-term economic growth and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

“We believe it is a transformational project and it certainly meets a lot of the policy objectives we’ve been hearing about from the new government,” Desjardins-Siciliano said in a phone interview.

Via’s present operations in the Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal corridor continue to be hampered by slow speeds and limited access to track that is owned by Canadian National Railway Co., whose freight trains run on the same track and are given priority over passenger rail. Via uses CN’s track for much of its service and also pays CN and Canadian Pacific Railway Ltd. for track access.

“It’s an economic absurdity that we’re asking a privately funded operation to agree with it, so that’s why the time has come to make both freight and passenger railways more efficient in their operations. And the only way to make them efficient is to uncouple them,” he said.

The Crown corporation is targeting large public sector pension funds for the approximately $2 billion it would cost to build the track and signalling infrastructure for a dedicated Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal passenger rail network.

Via is looking for the new Liberal government to announce funding in the budget for a rolling stock renewal of its rail cars in the corridor, which is a 1970s fleet undergoing its third refurbishment.

A renewed stock of diesel cars, like those currently in use, would cost just over $1 billion, while electric cars would cost approximately $1.3 billion.

Should the federal government proceed with the electric option, another $850 million would be added to the cost for an electrical infrastructure grid, bringing the total project price tag to around $4 billion.

“We’re hoping that fleet will be renewed earlier rather than later because cars are coming to end of life over the next decade,” Desjardins-Siciliano said.

He assumes the federal government would invest in the electric project over the diesel option because of its focus on reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
Full article through the link.

Tags
canada, canadian national, canadian pacific, cp rail, go transit, railways, via rail canada