daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 4th, 2008, 04:21 PM   #61
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Likes (Received): 64

how are the norml trains in Canada?
Kuvvaci no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 4th, 2008, 11:59 PM   #62
matthewcs

Likes (Received): 2

There are no "normal trains" in Canada really. There are commuter rail systems in a few cities (Vancouver, TO), but no inter-city train systems (save the Windsor corridor).

Really, except maybe the Golden Triangle in Ont, it's not all that practical for Canada. The closest major Canadian city to Vancouver is Calgary, and that's a 15 hr drive, or 45min plane flight. Across a pair of mountain ranges (Coastal and Rockies) no less. And now that Ont. is offically a "have-not" province, there's not much chance of an $18 billion dollar project that is seen as benefiting business class people travelling on expense accounts.

Canada should abandon passenger rail between cities and put money towards developing a state-of-the-art aeronautics industry.
matthewcs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 03:15 AM   #63
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewcs View Post
Canada should abandon passenger rail between cities and put money towards developing a state-of-the-art aeronautics industry.
You're kidding, right?
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2008, 07:33 AM   #64
Vascilli

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin W View Post
Well last I saw you could not even take a train from Calgary to Toronto? I know many major cities in western Canada have little or NO train service.
Unfortunately true. We have freight trains running left right and center but little to no passenger trains. (Always the vacationing type)

More realistically I'd like to see a high speed line from here up to Edmonton and then Fort Mac. Going to Edmonton for the weekend in high school, I must be dreaming..
Vascilli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 07:55 PM   #65
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18158

A great Canadian train adventure
Memorable way for a family to see the country

For Canwest News Service
2 June 2009

Our summer travel plans of a cross-Canada train trip with our two young children did not evoke the kind of response we had anticipated when we shared the news with family and friends.

The reaction was mostly one of suppressed shock.

There were the approving nods and weak smiles of encouragement, of course, but their eyes read more like "Are you out of your mind?" and "What kind of holiday would that be?"

The impetus for our summer trip last year was to take advantage of Via Rail's Kids Travel Free program -- between June 1 and Sept. 15, with the purchase of an adult ticket, a child 11 years of age or under travels free.

This program can also be used in conjunction with Via Rail's Canrailpass, whereby an adult can enjoy 12 days of unlimited train travel over a period of 30 days for one set price. Thus, my wife, Sally, and I were able to buy two adult Canrailpasses in comfort class, which provided free passage for our eight-year-old daughter, Claire, and our five-year-old son, Zachary -- a veritable two for one.

The beauty of train travel is readily apparent from the moment you step aboard. You immediately become relaxed by the casual pace of the train as it slowly departs the station.

Passengers are free to pick up a book, watch the scenery, play a game, or, in the case of those with children, race to the dome car and enjoy any combination of the aforementioned activities. Reading about the Hogwarts Express and Platform 9 -- while actually on a train in full view of the stars -- made the experience that much more special.

When it was time to stop reading that first night, my kids weren't the only ones to say, "No, keep going!"

Sleeping on the train did have its challenges. Comfort class is really Via Rail's euphemism for economy or coach travel, so we were not afforded fancy sleeping-car accommodations with our modest fare.

Our family settled into four seats facing each other, complete with reclining seat backs and foot rests, but this arrangement still had me wondering who in the echelon of Via Rail management had come up with the misnomer of "comfort class." The bump-up to more luxurious upper- and lower- berth accommodations, however, was more than $500 per night, so we had no real choice but to rough it.

Staff on the train did their best to make our sleep more bearable by doling out blankets, earplugs, and sleep masks. My kids were characteristically unfazed by the stops and starts throughout the night, but these supplied items did help us to get a pretty good rest.

My daughter proved the most resourceful as she and another little girl from across the aisle made "tents" by draping the extra train blankets over the dead space between four-seaters, which allowed them to create their own private sleeping quarters without any added expenditure.

The openness of comfort class is perhaps its greatest appeal.

It provided us many opportunities to meet people from across the country. There were lots of families on vacation, retired couples, backpackers, and military personnel with their families. The abundance of children on board meant that dull moments were few and far between because there was almost always someone to play with once the kids overcame their initial shyness.

Meals on the train are also an adventure. The prices are entirely reasonable and the dining car staff were extremely accommodating to allow for kid portions and partial substitutions from the menu. Perhaps the only disadvantage was the dining car was only open for very set periods for meals, which required us to be somewhat organized in our otherwise lackadaisical surroundings.

The train gave us the flexibility to embark and disembark practically anywhere we wanted: the historic Forks area in Winnipeg; the CN Tower and a Toronto Argonauts game at the Rogers Centre in Toronto; Niagara Falls and the Maid of the Mist; Parliament Hill and the Museum of Civilization in Ottawa and Hull; Old Montreal and Olympic stadium; Old Quebec and the Plains of Abraham for Quebec's 400th anniversary.

We planned most of our itinerary in advance using the detailed schedules posted on the Via Rail website, but for those averse to planning, the Canrailpass gives you tremendous flexibility.

A precautionary note: Parts of Via Rail's network are very busy in the summer, which could cause difficulty and require a bit of resourcefulness. For example, we weren't able to get a train from Campbellton, N.B., to Moncton on the day we had hoped to travel. Rather than wait a day for another train, we opted to catch a bus, arriving in Moncton eight hours later.

From Moncton, we rented a car for a week and looped around the Maritimes' amazing locales: Magnetic Hill, Confederation Bridge, the home that inspired Anne of Green Gables, the historic fortress of Louisbourg, the Cabot Trail, Baddeck, the Bell museum.

The highlight of the trip for my daughter was our "Anne" day on Prince Edward Island. The combination of being at the national historic site followed by seeing Anne of Green Gables: The Musical that evening at the Confederation Centre of the Arts in Charlottetown was magical. The biggest surprise? Even my son enjoyed it.

He would argue that the best part of the trip, however, was seeing 16 moose, the first two sightings along the extraordinary Cabot Trail, and also our impromptu swim in the ocean midway through the drive.

My wife's highlight was eating lobster at the Rusty Anchor along the Cabot Trail. The restaurant is perched on a picturesque part of that amazing coastline.

For me, the highlight of the trip was watching a re-enactment of the 1758 siege of Louisbourg by more than 200 battle-dressed soldiers on the moors outside the historic walls of this former French fortress. It just happened to be the 250th anniversary of this historic event.

A light fog rolled in along the bay as smoke from the muskets and cannons wafted over the observing crowds, which only served to heighten the ambience of it all.

It truly was an incredibly memorable family adventure. My wife and I already had a great appreciation for Canada's rich history and beauty, but this trip introduced our young children to the wonders of our country in ways books could not.

On the web: To learn more about Via Rail's Kids Travel Free program, go to www.viarail.ca/families. For more information about buying Via's Canrailpass, go to www.viarail.ca/planner.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #66
yyzhyd

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewcs View Post
...Canada should abandon passenger rail between cities and put money towards developing a state-of-the-art aeronautics industry.
Hmm... something like Bombardier?
yyzhyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 02:12 PM   #67
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10969

I wasn't sure where to put this as Union Station is a rail hub for subway, GO Train (commuter train), and VIA (inter-continental rail). These are renders that came out a few weeks ago, but thought they should be posted in the Infrastructure section as well.

Union Station Revitalization, Toronto

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 09:43 PM   #68
bluemeansgo

Likes (Received): 124

Intercity trains are only good between:

The Golden Horseshoe
Calgary - Edmonton
Vancouver - Seattle
bluemeansgo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 04:09 AM   #69
Nozumi 300

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Union Station Revitalization, Toronto

The rendering looks good but to be honest, it's more of a stretch in imagination. I was there today and it's literally impossible to imagine it being like the render when finished. The thing that makes it hard to believe is the old train shed that is cover is layers of soot and makes the current platforms look like its night time during the day. Its stupid that they can't take down the old shed since it's been deemed "historical" which I don't seem anything historical in it at all and absolutely ugly.
Nozumi 300 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 07:56 AM   #70
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemeansgo View Post
Intercity trains are only good between:

The Golden Horseshoe
Calgary - Edmonton
Vancouver - Seattle
All major cities in the Windsor - Quebec City corridor should have inter city train service. The Maritimes, sadly, doesn't have the population to sustain it. Regardless, the routes above would serve the majority of the Canadian population.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old November 4th, 2010, 07:59 AM   #71
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozumi 300 View Post
The rendering looks good but to be honest, it's more of a stretch in imagination. I was there today and it's literally impossible to imagine it being like the render when finished. The thing that makes it hard to believe is the old train shed that is cover is layers of soot and makes the current platforms look like its night time during the day. Its stupid that they can't take down the old shed since it's been deemed "historical" which I don't seem anything historical in it at all and absolutely ugly.
The old shed is staying? They tear down Varsity Stadium, but save the rail shed? I agree that it's not worth saving.

You do realize that the render above shows the glass portion, not the old portion which will have a green roof?

Old November 4th, 2010, 05:03 PM   #72
Nozumi 300

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
The old shed is staying? They tear down Varsity Stadium, but save the rail shed? I agree that it's not worth saving.

You do realize that the render above shows the glass portion, not the old portion which will have a green roof?
I know that, but the fact that the old shed is staying put makes the whole project not as appealing as it would of been if the whole thing was taken down. Sigh, if only the original station was still standing
Nozumi 300 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 12:56 AM   #73
1ManRiot

Likes (Received): 0

Canada

Hi all, new to the board but forum *****.

I'm UK based and currently on an engineering apprenticeship with the UK's railway infrastructure company.

My query is regards to the rail infrastructure in Canada as long-term I hope to live and work over there with railway/railroad [tomato/tomarto] qualifications I'll be getting through my career here. Electrification & plant is my discipline if anyone is interested.

So in the UK, all the permanent way and infrastructure is owned by Network Rail who are pretty much state-owned and responsible for the overall upkeep, maintenance and renewal of all things rail. Is the Canadian infrastructure run in a similar fashion? I can't seem to word a search string in a manner that answers my questions really, but a company called CN comes up a lot, though there is next to no mention of railroad maintenance/engineering anywhere. What Canadian company would employ me as a rail engineer?

I'm hoping to be a highly desirable skilled person at some point in the future, working on the theory that large chunks of the rail infrastructure in Canada and North America will be electrified in due course.

I even plan to make contact with the right person in Canada at some point further into my apprenticeship (lasts 3 years) and arrange some kind of unpaid work experience over there to start making links and so on.

My dream is to emigrate to BC one day, in the next 3-5 years all being well.

Thanks in advance for any input into this thread- I can elaborate on any of my points if required.
1ManRiot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 02:50 AM   #74
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Hi, I'm answering you from Montreal.

My answer to your overall query's (pitifully) short: are you willing to become a lobbyist, because the state of under-investment is far more chronic here than to the depths I could --or could've-- ever imagined the UK capable of sinking to?

I write you because of at least a few examples like the following:
  • disintegrated fencing, if any had been there in the first place
  • track property service road entrances missing gates (these abound)
  • dismantled footbridges
  • underpasses so deteriorated they're mockable
Plus I don't think there's a single concrete sleeper underlying any rail coast to coast to coast over here. I don't think the statistic's ever been compiled here to begin with! but I think the share of passenger service on all Canadian rails is at about five percent (5%). 3.5 million folks live in my metro area, and it's not like we really have a choice to go by train around town here. Three of our five commuter lines operate weekday peak hours only, plus another route falling into this category is due to be commissioned into service three years from now; the busiest commuter line has four departures each way Sundays and maybe six Saturdays.

The art of persuasion is what you might end really needing were you to take the plunge over here. Most of my childhood was spent in England and I still miss "my" trains.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 06:44 AM   #75
Huhu

Likes (Received): 437

I'm not an expert in this matter, but by far the two largest railways are Canadian National (CNR) and Canadian Pacific (CPR). There are also many smaller rail companies operating trunk lines and heritage/sightseeing lines across the country. Some American lines, like the BNSF, also have some rail in Canada. For rail contractors, you can check the Yellowpages.

I doubt that rail in BC is going to be electrified, unless they're planning to do something to either the Amtrak line running south from Vancouver to Seattle, or the West Coast Express suburban commuter line. There just aren't many passenger services in BC due to distances and terrain.
Huhu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 09:26 AM   #76
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Hi, I'm answering you from Montreal.

My answer to your overall query's (pitifully) short: are you willing to become a lobbyist, because the state of under-investment is far more chronic here than to the depths I could --or could've-- ever imagined the UK capable of sinking to?
Under-investment seems to be the chronic disease of the Anglo-sphere (even though Canada does have a large French population).

English speaking countries seems to be in absolute fear of spending money on new rail projects.
Old November 19th, 2010, 12:23 AM   #77
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

1ManRiot, I can tell you that a (seemingly-major) announcement was broadcast on the news the last weekend of last month, being that, because of the countless number of derailments N American railways undergo, railway operators' train operations plus train-consist diagrams themselves in this country are about to be subjected to federal regulatory overhaul.

BC, by the way, was the second-last Cdn jurisdiction to be home to electrified traction (until Yr 2000); the country's remaining electrified line is the Island's busiest commuter line here that earlier I wrote you about.

I can't agree with the anglo attribute to the whole under-investment matter, coz UK's albeit-slow upgrades are clearly stellar compared to N-A counterparts.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 10:24 PM   #78
CalgaryRailRoads

Likes (Received): 0

That's ridiculous. All that remains in Calgary of VIA is a Parkade over top & on the outsides of the CP Tracks. People sure do Disrespect Trains Sometimes.
Old December 31st, 2010, 04:46 AM   #79
Metro One

Likes (Received): 4

Hello, here are some freight train pics I took in British Columbia:

A big CPR freight yard in Port Coquitlam:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

And here is the CPR traveling along the Thompson River near Ashcroft:

image hosted on flickr

Cheers
Metro One no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2010, 08:48 AM   #80
Huhu

Likes (Received): 437

Cool pics!
Huhu no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, canadian national, canadian pacific, cp rail, go transit, railways, via rail canada