daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 12th, 2009, 11:24 PM   #20321
eldarkhan

Likes (Received): 82

OMG! This tower is totaly EPIC. Especially at night. *_*
eldarkhan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2009, 11:27 PM   #20322
Library User

Likes (Received): 1

Progress seen in cladding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town Resident View Post
Not much cladding works remaining in the location that used to locate the top crane.
This finally shows some progress in closing the cladding gap where the main crane was.

Does anyone know where the lighting systems are documented ? I remember seeing something long time ago, but not recently. Do they use LED's, or some other advanced types of low-energy lighting on the terraces.

Given the size of the building, the energy consumption of lighting would be quite significant - and the benefits of energy efficient lights would translate into big dollars/dirhams, etc.

We are seeing more and more inside lights showing up - now into the
level mid-40's. Much work to do, but it is moving

Thank you
Library User no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 11:35 PM   #20323
Library User

Photo opportunities

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
You still haven't told us what do you think of the mechanical floors stainless steel railings.
Now, if we could see a picture of the BMU out working and travelling along those railings - that would be some good publicity. That would show one of the special technical features of the BD for the world to see.

Also, has anyone seen up-to-date views of the landscaping around the hotel area entrances ? - assuming that this one would be the first entrance to be completed and opened for business.

Thank you
Old September 12th, 2009, 11:43 PM   #20324
Library User

Old photos still making the rounds

[QUOTE=christos-greece;42985400]I said that in my previous post; also asked about those exterior lights in BD in top floors...

The last photos i posted, enjoyed, liked by many... let's see:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3910981714/

QUOTE]

That photo was uploaded yesterday, but was taken several weeks ago - it shows a large gap in cladding in the L150's-L160's - one that has now been almost filled in.

Also, can anyone tell us where all this good info about the BD will be documented and kept for ready reference after the BD is finished - so one can go read it and see it all in one place ?

Thanks
Old September 13th, 2009, 12:46 AM   #20325
Supaplex

Likes (Received): 3214

Is this building opened?
Supaplex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 06:08 AM   #20326
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

12/September/2009

Burj Dubai

[IMG]http://i32.************/1z3z24i.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i27.************/2lnzuxf.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i26.************/eis5k6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i26.************/efnfjn.jpg[/IMG]
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 06:09 AM   #20327
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteJ View Post
Was on BBC world today, a documentary regarding Dubai and the infrastructure and may current projects.

Going too fast, building too many, too rapidly, spending too much, all too soon. It has come to a major halt and sooner or later, many of these buildings will be left empty or less glamorous. Well, I dont want to downplay on Dubai or the region. But if I look at these pictures, they should work on tourism much harder... Will Dubai ever become a vibrant city like Toronto? or Melbourne?

Don't think so
Projects all over the world have come to a major halt - it's called a recession. From what I've read Dubai is already a tourism hub.
As for Dubai not becoming vibrant (who says it isn't already ?) I'm glad you were born with a crystal ball up your ass .......
I see your not spouting gender crap anymore - I guess the words of a dick got through ?

Back OT.
Nice updates guys. Great shot OTR - the cladding is down to less than 50 panels left to be installed - should be completed soon. Then the crane disassembly can continue.

Hi Library.
I have an old list of the festival lighting that I have posted here a few times. I can post it again if you want. I imagine there have been revisions to that list just like most everything else over the last couple of years.

As for info on this project I think Bike's site is the best out there. Unfortanately much of the insider info can't be there right now. Even my plan and methodology had to be taken down due to strongarm tactics. Perhaps after completion and full opening that can change.
There will be the Kraken Opus also when it is comleted. It is supposed to have many pics and good info on the construction of this thing. Thing is there will be very limited copies available at a very high price. Hopefully someone will get us scans to peruse.

Hi Desert.
Good to hear that not only fitout is up to the 50th level but furnishings too. If they go hard perhaps 09 12 02 could be full opening ?
It would be good if your buddy can get you inside - I know there would be a boatload of pics for us all to see.

Old September 13th, 2009, 06:49 AM   #20328
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Diver View Post
Today I met a guy (he's the husband of a lady in my wife and son's toddler group) who is working for a german carpentry company involved into BD interior work and he said that up to roughly 50th floor BD is finished with furnishing.
they are very slow, when my invisible friend Harry was there on July 2009 they were working around the 48th

Most of people said that the realistic handover date for the whole tower is mid-end 2010 but they can open the lobby and few floors Dec 2009.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imre View Post
July 2009

Burj Dubai

somewhere on the 53rd floor

[IMG]http://i29.************/zoje5l.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i26.************/15wl0fq.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i27.************/mazaef.jpg[/IMG]
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #20329
MissyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
As for Dubai not becoming vibrant (who says it isn't already ?) I'm glad you were born with a crystal ball up your ass .......
I see your not spouting gender crap anymore - I guess the words of a dick got through ?
Fury, I truly consider this an an insult. Stop harrassing me and talk nasty and please have a little bit of respect to women as well. I truly do plead openly for a little bit of respect towards me as a forumer and you should learn to live and let live. Did I insult you? Did I attack you? Did I attack anybody here?
Did I insult anybody here? isn't this a discussion board after all? Don't I have any right to be here and show my love and passion for architecture, cities and urban developments and discuss things I see or hear or read too?

You are not the only one on this planet and on these forums to have the right to post freely and comment freely and say whatever he wants even if you hurt somebody or insult somebody like me?

IF what I said, was considered as an attack to anybody in Dubai or to the Arabic countries they would have said that themselves in their own way and believe me, they always know how to respect others.

I am from Middle East myself so please have a little be R E S P E C T!

(I wonder if you have the right to proudly call yourself a proud Canadian!?!?)
MissyC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 07:29 PM   #20330
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Yes you did call me a dick on another thread in here when I was kindly trying to point out that there is no age or gender on the internet and that you don't need to put gender into every post . I even apologized after your attack ...

I have respect for everyone here - ask anyone ...

No need to act like the victim here.

Please PM me if you still have a problem and perhaps we can get it resolved where no one else has to hear it.

Old September 13th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #20331
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 240507

Another BD photo by night (from August):
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3914484947/
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #20332
MissyC

I want to see this one being illuminated around hour with those flickering lights as being the Eiffel Tower of the Mid East, with golden/yellow lights!!!

That will be truly BEAUTIFUL!
Old September 13th, 2009, 08:10 PM   #20333
Littlemob

Likes (Received): 7

CharlotteJ and Fury. You both have a standpoint about something ask each other MSN or something else and talk it out (or hug it out (entourage)). As far as the Dubai boom and it's end. Dubai was one of the first now all the other oil states are copying it on an even larger scale. This means that all the potential inhabitant's are more spread out over the reagon and not only Dubai (read greater risk). A large amount of property is bought bij investors and speculator's (they are never gone live in Dubai). So I believe that one day wen dust settles, inverters realized the made a poor long term investment (as for now it's not a bad investment) people that are rely living there think I have a complete skyscraper for only 50 people. Dubai is lovely to visit the grandeur makes a impact but when you stay there longer than a weak you realize.
It's very hot.
Its very dusty (see the windows of the Burj.)
It has very little public quality green (like the parks in London or Central Park)
And when you live there and all the migrants are leaving you get a ghost town with 250.000 arab. and lets say the same amount of foreigners that stayed. It Never will become New York or London. Why we all love those see these buildings rise is because our governments can make good decisions and passe the growth and let the urban changes have influence on the city (this is not happening in Dubai) Dubai is realizing a vision. and we know what history tells us about regimes with vision's.
To close this I hope Dubai continues and proves me wrong, time will tell
Littlemob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 08:32 PM   #20334
Nomadd22

I'll be in the neighborhood around July 2010. I'm sure the builders will take that into consideration in their schedule. I'm much looking foward to seeing this puppy.
Just to rake the muck as little, in my years of wandering these forums, I've never met a more informed, objective, willing to share knowlege poster than Fury. His obsession with large, vertical objects has spread more knowledge about the Burj Dubai than Wikipedia.
Turning a post directed at her into a post directed at her gender is all I need to know about the other poster.
Nomadd22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 08:49 PM   #20335
MissyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlemob View Post
So I believe that one day wen dust settles, inverters realized the made a poor long term investment (as for now it's not a bad investment) people that are rely living there think I have a complete skyscraper for only 50 people. Dubai is lovely to visit the grandeur makes a impact but when you stay there longer than a weak you realize.
It's very hot.
Its very dusty (see the windows of the Burj.)
It has very little public quality green (like the parks in London or Central Park)
And when you live there and all the migrants are leaving you get a ghost town with 250.000 arab. and lets say the same amount of foreigners that stayed. It Never will become New York or London. Why we all love those see these buildings rise is because our governments can make good decisions and passe the growth and let the urban changes have influence on the city (this is not happening in Dubai) Dubai is realizing a vision. and we know what history tells us about regimes with vision's.
To close this I hope Dubai continues and proves me wrong, time will tell
Quite right. I agree. That was exactly the point and the subject of the documentary I was appointing and as I said earlier in this thread and now according to many developpers and architects, it would have been better to focus more around the downtown and old core of the city, make that even more fun for a visit, to plan parks, realise them, build theatres, concert halls, set more festivals and change Dubai into one that Mid East misses a bit, being the cultural heart/hub of the region and not only the financial capital of the Mid East by going too fast, too soon, trying to AW inspire visitors.
Tha was all about it and nothing else, nobody, me included, tries to downplay cities such as Dubai, Sharjah, Abu Dhabi, Doha or Manama. Been there, done that, know how beautiful it is, specially on board of wooden dow, enjoying the views of the skyline, listening to Omar Khorshid or Farid al Attrach.
Old September 13th, 2009, 08:53 PM   #20336
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Hi all.

Thanks Nomadd for your kind words. I really try to help out when people have questions on this magnificent structure. I think I have helped many and try to have positive input on the forums. I hope you get some good shots for us on your trip to Dubai.

Please everyone - try not to form an opinion on Charlotte because of my posts. She (and I use that gender only in response to the chosen forum handle) brings another unigue viewpoint to add to the discussions here.

Charlott - check your PM.

Old September 13th, 2009, 09:06 PM   #20337
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Hi all.

Hi Charlotte.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteJ View Post
it would have been better to focus more around the downtown and old core of the city.
The thing is the core is already developed. They would have had to tear it all down to do a project like the new downtown. I think they planned it as close as they could to the core and still be able to construct a pre-planned out area.

I have many pics and lots of them have green areas. They have put some planning into having green for a desert city. Some good shots from Imre are from a park that is fairly close to the BD.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on Dubai Littlemob. At least both you and Charlotte are stating yours without all the hate which is good.

Old September 13th, 2009, 10:58 PM   #20338
Littlemob

Likes (Received): 7

Yes Fury no hate from my part (i'm just finishing my study Urban planning) and love to see the rapid progress in Dubai. But on the long term I'm wondering how it will turn out. My boss has been there several time's for building congresses (so my comments are based on her experience). I have concerns but who cares as long as the train will go forward there's no problem, and we all love to see a train crash as long were not in it. LOL

Last edited by Littlemob; September 13th, 2009 at 10:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Littlemob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 12:43 AM   #20339
Spandex

strange building

Wow what is that building on the far left, any links?[IMG]http://i31.************/am2rd3.jpg[/IMG]

plz help me out, saw that someone else had the same qst. without answere
Old September 14th, 2009, 01:16 AM   #20340
Zollern

Likes (Received): 15

It's Iris Bay in Business Bay. Here's the thread: Iris Bay.
Amazing structural engineering involved in this one.
Courtesy of 234sale: great pic.
Zollern no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae