daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old September 16th, 2009, 12:39 AM   #20401
Monkey9000
£€$$ is more
 
Monkey9000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 1,647
Likes (Received): 338

Perhaps he's just cleaning that mullion?
Monkey9000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 16th, 2009, 02:51 AM   #20402
Parisian Girl
MONACO _ Côte d'Azur
 
Parisian Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PARIS - Monte Carlo - London
Posts: 16,678
Likes (Received): 2829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Diver View Post


I'd be just as euphoric hanging up there almost on top of the World's tallest building. No matter how hard this job is, it must be an awesome experience


Oh absolutely! A unique experience indeed, cleaning/washing the panels on WTB! Now that's something to write home about huh!? Goes without saying too though, this is going to be one of those forever jobs I'm afraid, just like the BDL.
__________________
Je m'appelle Paris
Parisian Girl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 03:05 AM   #20403
_Barca_
Registered User
 
_Barca_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 582
Likes (Received): 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Diver View Post
Zoomed in:

It looks really funny. I'd pay for that experience, it must be breathtaking
_Barca_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 04:22 AM   #20404
Fury
Proudly Canadian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,059
Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town Resident View Post
About the last view of the BD steel looking at the cladding progress today.

Not much more gap filling to do

Pics taken today, afternoon and early evening.

[IMG]http://i32.************/wmcnlw.jpg[/IMG]
Thanks OTR.

They have set up the diagonal supports for the small recovery crane (R3). The vertical piece I posted about 2 days ago is the vertical support. Just the boom to assemble ...

Now that the cladding is nearly complete the crane disassembly proceedure will be continuing soon:

Original plan;
- lower pieces of R1 with R3 to level 99.
- lower pieces of R1 with R2 from level 99 to podium.
- disassemble R3 by hand, take it down to level 99 in an elevator, and set it up.
- lower pieces of R2 with R3 to podium.
- disassemble R3 by hand and take it down to podium in an elevator.

Now because the crane on level 99 (R2) was the third crane on the top of the structure before they moved it to 99 and not the planned smaller crane they may have to add a step;

- lower pieces of R1 with R3 to level 99 and set it up.
- lower pieces of R2 with R1 from level 99 to podium.
- disassemble R3 by hand, take it down to level 99 in an elevator, and set it up.
- lower pieces of R1 with R3 to podium.
- disassemble R3 by hand and take it down to podium in an elevator.

The reported revision that R3 will be a SDD 5/10 from a 3/10 suggests to me they will be able to stick to the original plan and the 5/10 will be big enough to lower the pieces of R2 (M220D) that is on level 99 now. Time will tell.

__________________
Burj Khalifa - The Greatest Structure of our Time !!
Fury no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 04:23 AM   #20405
Land Man
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 70
Likes (Received): 0

That's Hard Hard Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Barca_ View Post
It looks really funny. I'd pay for that experience, it must be breathtaking
Despite the high altitude thrill I'd pass on that job!

Have you ever worn a full body harness for a long time and had that thing dig into you in lots of "places"? Then the weight of the back pack rig...water alone is 8 pounds per gallon...Then the strain of leaning back away and all of the stretching up and down trying to press against the glass while trying to keep your balance and reaching the upper and lower corners of the windows...then negotiating the ropes and lifting and not screwing up and hitting the wrong mechanism on the climbing gear...and it is hot and you are wearing a helmet etc etc etc... No thanks. We have to have a lot of respect for the sheer athletics it takes to do something like this even 15 ft off the ground.

I wonder how many panels they can do before they have to refill those backpack power washers....hopefully they have a way of lowering them more fluids to recharge those things and they don't have to go all the way back up to refill! Yikes Indeed!
Land Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 06:38 AM   #20406
Lady Arabia
Registered User
 
Lady Arabia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3
Likes (Received): 0

great pics!
Lady Arabia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 09:34 AM   #20407
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.
 
Old Town Resident's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Aberdoom
Posts: 2,747
Likes (Received): 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Man View Post
Despite the high altitude thrill I'd pass on that job!

Have you ever worn a full body harness for a long time and had that thing dig into you in lots of "places"? Then the weight of the back pack rig...water alone is 8 pounds per gallon...Then the strain of leaning back away and all of the stretching up and down trying to press against the glass while trying to keep your balance and reaching the upper and lower corners of the windows...then negotiating the ropes and lifting and not screwing up and hitting the wrong mechanism on the climbing gear...and it is hot and you are wearing a helmet etc etc etc... No thanks. We have to have a lot of respect for the sheer athletics it takes to do something like this even 15 ft off the ground.

I wonder how many panels they can do before they have to refill those backpack power washers....hopefully they have a way of lowering them more fluids to recharge those things and they don't have to go all the way back up to refill! Yikes Indeed!
The water jetting will not be sourced from a backpack as the weight would be impossible to work with from the rope access.

This is supplied through a seperate pressurized umbilical fed from a setback at a higher level
Old Town Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 10:12 AM   #20408
Coinpeace
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Warroad, MN
Posts: 326
Likes (Received): 13

now if only the windows company based in my SMALL town would expand into cladding....
__________________
part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xde5Y47LgTM
part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lzcrRXHJTw
part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ODJ4_aMML0
Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMEQiI7wLEE Part 4 is up :) 550m|110fl

My Youtube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/coinpeace

my building is getting up there :)
Coinpeace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 10:38 AM   #20409
Desert Diver
Just add water
 
Desert Diver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 2,246
Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town Resident View Post
The water jetting will not be sourced from a backpack as the weight would be impossible to work with from the rope access.

This is supplied through a seperate pressurized umbilical fed from a setback at a higher level
You're right. The following image shows these hoses hanging down from above:

http://www.quetschluft.de/dubai2/300_1803_s.jpg

__________________
Website
Blog
Facebook
Desert Diver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 10:34 PM   #20410
Imre
Dubai
 
Imre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dubai
Posts: 40,564
Likes (Received): 315

16/September/2009

Burj Dubai

[IMG]http://i25.************/3312ccg.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i26.************/35aoz0i.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i32.************/2rxbckj.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i25.************/nog36q.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i32.************/11t7o6x.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i32.************/2nisdur.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i29.************/28ixmrt.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i27.************/wrxfd5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i27.************/2guwpp4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i28.************/23s6nhj.jpg[/IMG]
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 10:42 PM   #20411
Imre
Dubai
 
Imre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dubai
Posts: 40,564
Likes (Received): 315

16/September/2009

Downtown Burj Dubai

[IMG]http://i29.************/2cosj9e.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i26.************/2ymf5ux.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i32.************/oqiruu.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i31.************/8zhhmu.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i29.************/f9hvth.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i25.************/ic1c42.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i28.************/288be34.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i28.************/2e3c0ed.jpg[/IMG]
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 10:47 PM   #20412
Adam2707
Registered User
 
Adam2707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,271
Likes (Received): 103

Great Pics Imre,
They've set up a secondary crane. I'm presuming that's for the dismantling of the other crane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imre View Post
[IMG]http://i32.************/2rxbckj.jpg[/IMG]
Adam2707 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 10:49 PM   #20413
Imre
Dubai
 
Imre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dubai
Posts: 40,564
Likes (Received): 315

16/September/2009

Burj Dubai

[IMG]http://i26.************/10dcs48.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i31.************/2s5xssy.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i29.************/33tqniq.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i27.************/dn2bub.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i29.************/jkisjq.jpg[/IMG]
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 10:57 PM   #20414
Imre
Dubai
 
Imre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dubai
Posts: 40,564
Likes (Received): 315

16/September/2009

Burj Dubai

[IMG]http://i30.************/sl1i61.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i27.************/v4wb3a.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i28.************/xoqu7b.jpg[/IMG]
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 12:08 AM   #20415
Desert Diver
Just add water
 
Desert Diver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 2,246
Likes (Received): 215

Great pics, Imre

One more which I took at sunset (click on it for large format):

__________________
Website
Blog
Facebook
Desert Diver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 12:37 AM   #20416
Coinpeace
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Warroad, MN
Posts: 326
Likes (Received): 13

shiny windows.... just the way i like em!
__________________
part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xde5Y47LgTM
part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lzcrRXHJTw
part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ODJ4_aMML0
Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMEQiI7wLEE Part 4 is up :) 550m|110fl

My Youtube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/coinpeace

my building is getting up there :)
Coinpeace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 12:39 AM   #20417
Coinpeace
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Warroad, MN
Posts: 326
Likes (Received): 13

O wow! i didnt notice the landscaping stuff! i cant wait to see all thos channels of water u c in renderings of it
__________________
part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xde5Y47LgTM
part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lzcrRXHJTw
part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ODJ4_aMML0
Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMEQiI7wLEE Part 4 is up :) 550m|110fl

My Youtube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/coinpeace

my building is getting up there :)
Coinpeace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 12:51 AM   #20418
CULWULLA
Registered User
 
CULWULLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 62,760
Likes (Received): 10139

great shots imre and desertdiver.
__________________
Sydney Harbour Bridge -1932, Sydney Opera House- 1973, Sydney Tower- 1981, Crown Sydney- 2020.. https://www.buildsydney.com/forum
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 03:44 AM   #20419
Abdallah K.
Under the Beirut Sun
 
Abdallah K.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tripoli طرابلس
Posts: 2,068
Likes (Received): 7

Amazing Shots!
Abdallah K. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 04:42 AM   #20420
Fury
Proudly Canadian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,059
Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam2707 View Post
Great Pics Imre,
They've set up a secondary crane. I'm presuming that's for the dismantling of the other crane.
Here is some reposts for those who don't read previous posts ...

posted 09 09 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury
Hi all.

I was looking over the recent additions to my collection and I noticed something in OTR's shot from 09 09 12.



This was not there on the 7th - the last shot I have showing the area in question close up.
I am thinking this may be vertical support for the smallest recovery crane (R3 - Favco SDD3/10 or SDD 5/10. Original plans were for a 3/10 but I heard something about a 5/10) that will lower the disassembled pieces of the larger recovery crane (R1 - Favco 242R).

Here are 2 shots from 09 04 from Imre showing what I think is the same crane that will be used as R3. It was set up on different levels twice at different times over the last months. We can see the vertical support I am referring to.





I'm not sure what else this can be for and being cladding is almost complete it makes sense they would be setting up R3.

We shall see.

posted 09 09 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury
Thanks OTR.

They have set up the diagonal supports for the small recovery crane (R3). The vertical piece I posted about 2 days ago is the vertical support. Just the boom to assemble ...

Now that the cladding is nearly complete the crane disassembly proceedure will be continuing soon:

Original plan;
- lower pieces of R1 with R3 to level 99.
- lower pieces of R1 with R2 from level 99 to podium.
- disassemble R3 by hand, take it down to level 99 in an elevator, and set it up.
- lower pieces of R2 with R3 to podium.
- disassemble R3 by hand and take it down to podium in an elevator.

Now because the crane on level 99 (R2) was the third crane on the top of the structure before they moved it to 99 and not the planned smaller crane they may have to add a step;

- lower pieces of R1 with R3 to level 99 and set it up.
- lower pieces of R2 with R1 from level 99 to podium.
- disassemble R3 by hand, take it down to level 99 in an elevator, and set it up.
- lower pieces of R1 with R3 to podium.
- disassemble R3 by hand and take it down to podium in an elevator.

The reported revision that R3 will be a SDD 5/10 from a 3/10 suggests to me they will be able to stick to the original plan and the 5/10 will be big enough to lower the pieces of R2 (M220D) that is on level 99 now. Time will tell.


Nice update as always Imre.
Looks like R3 is ready to go.
Just a cladding panel here and there left to go from that angle. It looks like a half dozen or so panels have no glass and have been boarded. I wonder if the missing and boarded panels have been damaged along the way and they are needing replacements. The cleaned panels are looking good.

It also looks like another section of the lake is almost ready to be filled.

The structure and entire area are really looking fantastic. The dream is nearly fulfilled.

__________________
Burj Khalifa - The Greatest Structure of our Time !!
Fury no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu