daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 3rd, 2009, 07:07 AM   #20761
jcom
Antiguo+Moderno = México

Likes (Received): 0

Very nice building !!! I need to see it n live
But its expensive

http://www.panoramio.com/user/1740480

Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2009, 10:41 AM   #20762
Mr. Kalamay
BANNED

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parisian Girl View Post
Burj opening: Al Abar says it's December

[IMG]http://i34.************/1zxa5o0.jpg[/IMG]
© Supplied
At 160 floors, the Burj Dubai has more levels than any other building in the world.

Published: October 01, 2009, 08:51
By Derek Baldwin, Senior Reporter

Tallest building in the world, the Burj Dubai, will fully fling open its doors in December, confirmed Emaar Chairman Mohammad Ali Al Abbar Wednesday evening.

In a rare interview with XPRESS, Ali Al Abaar declined to give a precise opening day for the official dedication but said the opening of the historic 160-storey residential and hotel apartment structure is definitely before year’s end.

“We are very close,” he said. “It’s December. We’re not very far from the opening.”

The glass and metal structure is reported to have reached 818 metres when the final spire was placed high atop the icicle-shaped shard, the centrepiece of Business Bay on Shaikh Zayed Road, but Ali Al Abbar said he could only confirm the building is now “above 800 metres”.

Ali Al Abbar said when the Burj Dubai opens, it will be with a sense of deep personal pride. “It’s a dream come true that I am associated with it,” Ali Al Abbar said. “It’s a dream come true that is opening in my town.”

The project cladding is virtually complete and the company is working on putting up the last “aluminum panel”, he said.

In addition to touting one of the world’s highest public observatory decks at Level 124, the Burj Dubai will also operate a private elevator that will travel from ground to the 136th floor, the highest single uninterrupted rise of 504 metres on the planet.

At 160 floors, the Burj Dubai has more levels than any other building in the world.

http://www.xpress4me.com/news/uae/dubai/20015110.html

"Burj Dubai will also operate a private elevator that will travel from ground to the 136th floor, the highest single uninterrupted rise of 504 metres on the planet" This is where the observation deck should be!
Mr. Kalamay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:12 PM   #20763
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 240670

Those news about the grand opening according by Al Abar are good news indeed.

Couple new photos:
Burj Dubai and Dubai in black-white:
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yuupyupno/3974856923/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yuupyupno/3974856349/
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 01:08 PM   #20764
extremepower

Likes (Received): 0

This is just amazing and fantastic. It just keeps on growing taller and taller.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 01:55 PM   #20765
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2612

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremepower View Post
This is just amazing and fantastic. It just keeps on growing taller and taller.
No, it doesn't.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 03:59 PM   #20766
erPiadda
iamcapohorn...

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
No, it doesn't.
it doesn't grow...
Old October 3rd, 2009, 05:03 PM   #20767
234sale

Likes (Received): 24

[IMG]http://i36.************/1040ztz.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i34.************/28qvhh5.jpg[/IMG]
Old October 3rd, 2009, 05:21 PM   #20768
bizzybonita
ĐЯ ฿฿ שίŧђ Ħīĝђ קΘฬξЯ

Likes (Received): 55

Burj Dubai's exterior is now complete

Burj Dubai last panel installation.

Exterior cladding for Burj Dubai, the world's tallest building being developed by Emaar Properties PJSC, is now complete.

The tower has accomplished a world record for the highest installation of an aluminium and glass façade. The total weight of aluminium used on Burj Dubai is equivalent to that of five A380 aircraft and the total length of stainless steel bull nose fins is 293 times the height of Eiffel Tower in Paris.

The last cladding panel numbered 24,348, weighing 750 kg and 1160mm x 6400mm in height was placed at a height of over 662 metres (2172 ft), thus accomplishing the mammoth task of cladding the world's tallest building. Arabian Aluminium Company in association with Hong Kong based Far East Aluminium began exterior cladding of Burj Dubai in May 2007, and the vast project has involved more than 380 skilled engineers and on-site technicians.

A mixed-use tower featuring residences, corporate suites, and the world's first Armani Hotel and Armani Residences, Burj Dubai is on course to be completed later this year with work on interiors progressing simultaneously.

With a total of 24,348 cladding panels over a total curtain wall area of 132,190 sq m, Burj Dubai's shimmering exterior minimises heat transmission and saves energy. The total 103,000 sq m of glass used in the cladding panels can cover 14 standard football pitches and the 15,500 sq m of embossed stainless steel used can cover 34 National Basketball Association specified basketball courts. The total length of gaskets - 2,050,000 linear metres - if laid end to end is about the distance from Dubai to Damascus in Syria (2,052 km).

The cladding materials were specially made using advanced engineering techniques and include high-performance reflective glazing, aluminium mullions and textured steel spandrels with vertical stainless steel tubular fins. The cladding accentuates Burj Dubai's height while lending it a shimmering slenderness. Panels of more than 18 different strength specifications and over 200 sizes have been used for Burj Dubai, all of them double-glazed and factory-sealed.

The world record for the highest aluminium façade installation was achieved by Burj Dubai earlier in the year at a height of 512 metres, less than one year after work started.

Mr. Mohamed Alabbar, Chairman, Emaar Properties, said that the completion of cladding work at Burj Dubai was a milestone both for Burj Dubai and the science of high-rise engineering.

"Burj Dubai's construction and engineering techniques are unprecedented, and they are our contribution to the science of high-rise development. The cladding work has involved considerable innovation - vast amounts of research and simulation have pioneered advanced materials and installation techniques."

Mr. Alabbar added: "One of the key considerations when designing the cladding was maximizing resistance against heat transmission from the sun and improving energy efficiency within the tower. The materials used, as well as withstanding the harsh summer temperatures keep heat out of the building, allowing for a significant reduction in the amount of air-conditioning required. Burj Dubai's exterior is a model for high-rise developers creating sustainable buildings of the future."

The cladding work for Burj Dubai is the largest project of its kind undertaken by Arabian Aluminium Company, (Aluminium Division of Al Ghurair Construction).

Mr. Bashar Kayali, General Manager, Arabian Aluminium Company, said that under the joint venture with Far East Aluminium, Arabian Aluminium undertook cladding work on an accelerated pace right from the design stage where the cladding of the tower was divided into multiple zones. At the initial stage of installation, Arabian Aluminium was progressing at the rate of about 20 to 30 panels per day and eventually it achieved as many as 175 panels per day.

The high wind speeds were a major challenge. At the highest altitudes engineering teams had to work in tightly controlled shifts to install panels safely and efficiently. To minimise the risks involved in working at such towering heights, curtain-walling for the spire was pre-installed on the ground and then lifted to the summit to be secured.

"The precise engineering of the custom-made design meant that the 24,348 cladding units used on the tower are of the highest quality and consistency," said Mr. Kayali.

The panels used on Burj Dubai have varying thicknesses, each featuring two glass pieces of about 8 mm to 12 mm thickness, buttressed by a 12 mm spacer for strength and resilience. The length and thickness of each panel was decided based on the heights and locations at which the panel was to be installed. Panels used at the highest altitudes were further strengthened with stainless steel in addition to aluminium.

Keeping the tower façade clean will be the next engineering challenge. To guarantee that every corner of Burj Dubai sparkles, 18 window-washing units are built into the tower including nine track-mounted telescopic cradles, each with an extendable jib arm for cleaning that reaches more than 20 metres.

Currently standing at over 800 metres, Burj Dubai is at the centre of Downtown Burj Dubai, a 500-acre mega project described as the new heart of the city of Dubai. The final height of the tower will be revealed when Burj Dubai opens later this year.

http://www.ameinfo.com/210888.html
Old October 3rd, 2009, 05:26 PM   #20769
Bikes
sababa

Likes (Received): 2667

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
The thing is most of the general public don't even know that there is soft and full openings - to them the opening is the opening and they will think it is fully open. I guess this is good for Emaar as they will not have to give yet another "opening is delayed" press release. I still think they should come clean - sigh .....

So true. I'm still skeptic about the December opening, but even if it happens, it will be the soft opening. Full opening may be in mid 2010..
Old October 3rd, 2009, 05:53 PM   #20770
gerald.d

Likes (Received): 44

My god.

Did anyone else see the reflection of the setting Sun off the Burj this evening?

Words fail me. And I didn't have my camera on me either.
gerald.d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 06:51 PM   #20771
zbieraj
Co się gapisz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMat View Post
Europe's Tallest Building! Story below

Europe's Tallest is here

so Burj Move over!
That's strange because this information from about January 2008 . What is more this Okhta Tower will not be build. Moscow decided that they will not give money for this tower and what is more, investor doesn't have the money itself.
zbieraj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 07:45 PM   #20772
nazrey

Likes (Received): 10712

Burj Dubai On Course For 2009 Completion, Opening
October 03, 2009 18:17 PM
By Abdul Muin Majid

DUBAI, Oct 3 (Bernama) -- The world's tallest building, Burj Dubai, is on course to be completed later this year, according to its developer Emaar Properties.

The final height of the mixed-used tower featuring residences, corporate suites and the world's first Armani Hotel and Armani Residences, will be revealed when Burj Dubai opens later this year.

Emaar has revealed some impressive facts and figures on the construction of the tower, currently standing at over 800 metres at the centre of the Downtown Burj Dubai mega project.

The total weight of aluminium used on the exterior cladding of the super tall structure is equivalent to that of five A380 aircraft, and the total length of stainless steel bull nose fins is 293 times the height of the Eiffel Tower in Paris.

The total 103,000 sq metres of glass used in the cladding panels can cover 14 standard football pitches and the 15,500 sq metres of embossed stainless steel used can cover 34 National Basketball Association specified basketball courts.

The total length of gaskets -- 2,050,000 linear metres -- if laid end to end is about the distance from Dubai to the Syrian capital of Damascus which is about 2,052 km.

Exterior cladding for Burj Dubai was completed recently, with a world record for the highest installation of an aluminium and glass facade having been accomplished in the process, according to Emaar.

The last cladding panel numbered 24,348, weighing 750kg was placed at a height of over 662 metres.

-- BERNAMA
nazrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 12:27 AM   #20773
Bikes
sababa

Likes (Received): 2667

Guys, lets skip the fake news please.
Old October 4th, 2009, 01:06 AM   #20774
ElCrioyo
Ed.v.cas.baeZ

Likes (Received): 1668

A Question:They not gonna take those EMMAR Signs off from the Windows? i think is time to take that off already.
ElCrioyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 07:00 AM   #20775
MattTheTubaGuy
Skyscrapers to the stars

Likes (Received): 647

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
Those news about the grand opening according by Al Abar are good news indeed.
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yuupyupno/3974856349/
WOW that is amazing!!
so shiny!
makes the tan building look old!
can't wait until the crane is taken down.

Complete and T/O Supertalls Map
U/C Supertalls Map
Prep and O/H Supertalls Map
All Supertalls map!

Google Earth map (WIP)

ZZ-II's World Supertalls List

view my buildings made on Maya
MattTheTubaGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 07:54 AM   #20776
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Nice shot of the crane deck coming back to "earth" 234.

That crane has been working on the Burj for almost exactly 4 years.

A Favco M220D and was named M3 while on the top of the structure.

It was fully assembled and started lifting on 05 10 02 when the structure was on approx. level 9 - so approx. 14 levels high. It stayed up top untill level 145 or so and disassembly began on 07 08 17. After the pieces were lowered down to the podium it remained there for a couple months. It was fully assembled on level 99 on 07 11 11 as R2 (R2 was originally to be an Ogawa OT4520 but they revised that). It worked on level 99 untill 09 10 01 when diassembly began and its pieces were lowered to the podium with R1 (Favco 242R).

Although it was the smaller than the other 2 cranes on the top it definately did its share of lifting to help build this mighty structure. It also outlasted both of its bigger brothers. M1 and M2 were assembled only 2 weeks before M3. M2 began disassembly on 08 09 26 and M1 began it on 09 06 27.

I have a crane timeline on the go and will post it when the disassembly proceedure is completed.

Old October 4th, 2009, 11:34 AM   #20777
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 240670

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTheTubaGuy View Post
...can't wait until the crane is taken down.
Welcome @Matt... btw that crane, as it seen in the photo above, when they expect to disamble it?
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 05:37 PM   #20778
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

It already happened this week ... focus Chistos, focus ... don't just post pictures.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 05:57 PM   #20779
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Just in ...

[IMG]http://i33.************/2w6i8ox.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i35.************/2po3zo4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i37.************/2ik9vua.jpg[/IMG]
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 07:28 PM   #20780
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

almost done (Sama and HHHR Towers as well )
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae