daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 4th, 2009, 08:29 PM   #20781
Coinpeace

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imre View Post
almost done (Sama and HHHR Towers as well )
all i have to say about that quote is
Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMEQiI7wLEE Part 4 is up :) 550m|110fl

My Youtube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/coinpeace

my building is getting up there :)
Coinpeace no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2009, 11:16 PM   #20782
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

I discovered in my HDD this picture from exactly one year ago:

October 5th 2008

[IMG]http://i36.************/o5x08g.jpg[/IMG]

I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 11:22 PM   #20783
iSORROW
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

tall and ugly which explains y they (SOM) did not recieve awards for this design.
iSORROW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 11:47 PM   #20784
Abdallah K.
Under the Beirut Sun

Likes (Received): 7

Burj Dubai isnt ugly! its one of our modern wonders of the world!
Abdallah K. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 11:57 PM   #20785
Dubai Skyscraper

Likes (Received): 2610

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSORROW View Post
tall and ugly which explains y they (SOM) did not recieve awards for this design.
WTF!?!
Burj Dubai is the best designed skyscraper ever built!!!
Dubai Skyscraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 12:19 AM   #20786
rickydavisfan21
McSAME and FAILIN

Likes (Received): 539

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdallah K. View Post

Burj Dubai isnt ugly! its one of our modern wonders of the world!
Wonder of the world would require us to not have known how it was built... We all watched it get built, its definately not a WONDER!?!?!?!?! Its not ugly either tho, its just a missplaced idea by a city quickly on the decline.
rickydavisfan21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 12:23 AM   #20787
Ukraine

Likes (Received): 505

HA! probably in 25 years the burj dubai will be considered as a small highrise compared to every other supertalls..
Well a toast to another jewel
Ukraine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 01:38 AM   #20788
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

Ukraine, i don't think it will happen that quickly. And to all the others, why don't you respect the opinion of a person who don't find this building beautiful? I mean, not everyone has to have the same opinion as the other. That's just human, that everyone is an individual beeing!
Old October 5th, 2009, 03:00 AM   #20789
iSORROW
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai Skyscraper View Post
WTF!?!
Burj Dubai is the best designed skyscraper ever built!!!

which explians y it did not get any awards right?
i mean cmon guyz i do respect ur views but u also have to respect mine.
i think its an ugly simple tower that uses a simple technique (bigbase to small top) to achive its height. and among all the proposed designs from SOM this did not recieve any awards period.
now if u think other wise that i will respect.
P.S here is the site that supports my claim search all of the towers and try to compare awards.
http://www.som.com/content.cfm/www_projects?region=MI
iSORROW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 03:33 AM   #20790
TXSkyWatcher

Likes (Received): 42

Yeah everyone can't agree on the design. It's not really my fave design either, but I do love the height of the tower and the final look is not too bad. I can see how anyone could say it's ugly...it's kinda like women....one guys dog is another man's fox.
TXSkyWatcher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 04:15 AM   #20791
Land Man

Likes (Received): 0

Now that we don't have cranes, concrete, steel and cladding to follow every week I sure hope that this discussion board doesn't fall into meanlingless drivel.

Its pretty

No, Its ugly

Pretty!

Ugly!

It is not!

'Tis too!

I don't care what you think!

I'll tell Mom!

I don't care!

Please.......................at this point gang it just IS

and ain't that great.
Land Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 04:35 AM   #20792
Coinpeace

Likes (Received): 13

o wow u guys should settle down...
Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMEQiI7wLEE Part 4 is up :) 550m|110fl

My Youtube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/coinpeace

my building is getting up there :)
Coinpeace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 04:58 AM   #20793
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Quote:
i think its an ugly simple tower that uses a simple technique (bigbase to small top) to achive its height.
Hi sorrow.

Opinions are like *******s - everybody got one - just some stink more than others .......

I respect your opinion - stinky or not ... but I definately don't agree - especially the above statement.

You would be correct if the design was a cone but it is not. The arrangement of the 30 tiers and setbacks make this the most complex structure I know of. There are many buildings with setbacks but none have this many that spiral up the structure with different shaped terraces as you go. I think it looks fantastic and the complexity is one of the things that interest me the most.

Obviously the height is another big draw .....

Hi Land.

I join you in hope for this thread.
I try to post in a meaningfull way on various subjects that are going on with the Burj. Posting allows me to get my thoughts out there. I don't seem to get much in the way of replies or discussion but my hope is that there are people who enjoy reading them.

Old October 5th, 2009, 11:58 AM   #20794
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 241093

Quote:
i think its an ugly simple tower that uses a simple technique (bigbase to small top) to achive its height. and among all the proposed designs from SOM this did not recieve any awards period.
P.S here is the site that supports my claim search all of the towers and try to compare awards.
@iSORROW, Burj Dubai it is not an ugly tower, instead its one of the greatest towers, one of the greatest also designs that world has so far, and will be great after 10 or 20 years too...
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 12:34 PM   #20795
Monkey9000
£€$$ is more

Likes (Received): 338

While the concept, structural design and floor planning is very interesting there are negatives.

The biggest letdown on the BD is the cladding and facade treatment. It is incredibly boring and generic. Visually The Petronas Twin Towers have a very similar facade package and they were 10 years ago! The Spider-clamped entrance Portals are so unbelievably dull they truly typify “back of fag packet” design.

BD should not be winning any architectural awards but it is certainly in the running for a good few engineering awards, which it truly deserves.
Monkey9000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 02:45 PM   #20796
AvanGard
HMS

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
So if it did get any awards you would have loved it. Everyone in here will respect your opinion. But if you find the Burj unattractive there is really no reason to post about it.

p.s.
Does anyone know how much of the Burjs apartments have been sold by now.
AvanGard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 03:08 PM   #20797
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvanGard View Post
Everyone in here will respect your opinion. But if you find the Burj unattractive there is really no reason to post about it.
Why shouldn't comments that are negative about the design be posted have all of one set of positive about it? Every other thread has positive and negative comments about the building's design so why should this will be different? Just because you think it's a good design does need everyone does.
Old October 5th, 2009, 03:27 PM   #20798
Infrasuper Planet
Infrasuper Planet

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:

ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!?!?!?

The twin towers were ugly and simple (too simple in fact that it resulted in its tragic downfall)

The burj dubai building on the other hand, like Fury said, is a very VERY complex structure , so much so that innovations in engineering and construction techniques had to be made to accomplish the building of such a massive tower. The spiraling tiers, rising from a firm three foot base represents genius in both the architectural and engineering departments of this building.

Architecturally aesthetic because (from wiki) "its design encompasses a patterning systems embodied in it Islamic architecture, with the triple-lobed footprint of the building based on an abstracted version of the flower Hymenocallisas. Further, viewed from above or from the base, the form also evokes the onion domes of Islamic architecture"

It is aesthetic engineering wise because the Y-shaped floor plan of the building maximizes views of the city and gulf for its residence and provides an impenetrable, solid form to evenly distribute the loads of the building. Moreover, on a more impressive note, the Y-shaped, spiraling design of the building is such that it "tricks" and "confuses" the wind, not allowing vertices of air flow to form and find a stable "surface" to act upon and hence cause movement, because the design of the building changes every 25 floors or so. For a building of such awe-inspiring height, wind is the dominant evil force working against it, and to design it in such a way that the tip of the spire moves a mere 1.2m against the strongest of the prevailing winds of the desert, is an incredible feat.
Lastly, the ingenious design of the building made it possible for engineers and designers to increase the planned height of the tower DURING construction. And this very much proved fruitful as the tower was raised from 705m to 750m to 808m to 818m. Such flexibility would not have been possible without of course a rigid foundation - 192 piles of length 50m each. The sheer scale of this project makes every task much more demanding and intricate.

It is also worth noting that this building achieved the highest vertical concrete pumping for any construction (601m), which in itself, is more than just pumping concrete. The concrete had to be engineered to be a special mix that met the fine requirements of not solidifying in the pipes as it was pumped from hundreds of meters below but being strong enough that it could withstand the extreme pressures the weight of the building would imply on it and the extreme temperatures of the Persian gulf which can hit 50 degrees in the summer. Signs of any significant cracks could have put the entire project in jeopardy

The worlds longest elevator shaft is also present inside the Burj. Even from things like the crane dismantling process as well as the death-defying posts workers need to take up to install or fix something on the tower is amazing in itself. Go back 10-15 years ago, and no one on earth (well, with the due exception of Frank Wright) would have conceived of such a tall building being built in the near future, maybe in 30-40 years time, but not so early in the 21st century.

In sum, this building is very much classed a 21st century engineering/architectural landmark, one which is sophisticated and technical in nature, yet elegant and bold in form. What people think of the design is up to them, but it is almost discourteous to acknowledge and admire the years of planning that went into the design of the building and pay tribute to the brilliant minds of the engineers and architects whom crafted a building of such quality and stature.

Aerials are Beyond Ones Mind to Imagine.
We are watching the Future Rise from the depth of the Earth and into the Heavens ever Higher

Last edited by Infrasuper Planet; October 5th, 2009 at 03:39 PM.
Infrasuper Planet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 03:54 PM   #20799
234sale

Likes (Received): 24

[IMG]http://i37.************/rtjnmb.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i33.************/2m3pit3.jpg[/IMG]

Some model at Cityscape,, See the thread at
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=960298&page=4
and onwards
Old October 5th, 2009, 03:59 PM   #20800
Senju
minami.senju on STEAM

Likes (Received): 6

WOW!!!! Awesome Model!
Senju no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae