daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 18th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #2181
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

My mistake; the pictures posted yesterday on the BOA forum are 4 days old...they topped it out the next day. Sorry. So NYC is tied for 3rd with Dubai with 4 supertalls.
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 19th, 2007, 12:13 AM   #2182
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie Maea View Post
I'm not sure how you count 5 finished supertalls for Dubai--I count four. Here is how I understand the rankings to stand, considering only topped out buildings:

Hong Kong and Chicago are tied for first with 5 each
Hong Kong: 2ifc, central plaza, bank of china tower, the center, nina tower
Chicago: sears tower, aon center, john hancock center, at&t center, 2 prudential tower
Dubai next with 4: Emirates office tower, Rose Rotana, Burj Al Arab, Emirates Tower hotel
New York has 3: Empire State Building, Chrysler building, New York Times building

I'm going by the list on Emporis. They also list the Bank of America tower in New York as being topped out, but anyone can go to the thread and see that the spire isn't finished on that one.

Now, very soon, the Almas Tower will be topped out tying Dubai with Hong Kong and Chicago. Very shortly after, the Burj Dubai Lake Hotel should top out, putting Dubai in first with 6. Hong Kong and Chicago both have another one getting well along (Trump Tower in Chicago, ICC in Hong Kong), but by the time those are topped out the Index should be getting there as well. With all the other supertalls that are well under construction, Dubai will pull away far far from the rest of the competition after that.

Edit: I forgot about One Island East Center in Hong Kong which is almost topped out, so Hong Kong will, like Dubai, soon have 6. So they'll be tied for a bit longer before Dubai pulls away.
i counted burj d as the 5th. yes i know its uc.
bottom line is that dubai has3 times the supertalls as any other city. amazing
Old December 19th, 2007, 01:40 AM   #2183
Infrasuper Planet
Infrasuper Planet

Likes (Received): 1

WOW
Amazing night shots on prev page!!
Yes!! They have changed the colour of the Lake water!! Now it looks a million times better.

Aerials are Beyond Ones Mind to Imagine.
We are watching the Future Rise from the depth of the Earth and into the Heavens ever Higher
Infrasuper Planet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 02:34 AM   #2184
jorgemed

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTL Beach Bum View Post
They really need to hurry up with the cladding on the lower mech levels. That in itself, I believe, will be the single biggest noticeable change in the progress, and make the building look that much further along in the construction process...

this is an amazing picture... i wanto to be there and watch this nice city
Old December 19th, 2007, 02:35 AM   #2185
MetalliTooL

Likes (Received): 20

The progress is so frustratingly slow. It's getting boring. I forgot the last time we saw a complete floor rise up.
MetalliTooL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 02:48 AM   #2186
twickline

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalliTooL View Post
The progress is so frustratingly slow. It's getting boring. I forgot the last time we saw a complete floor rise up.
From the last photos posted here it looks as if the outer ring is almost done on the next floor.

Tom
twickline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 03:03 AM   #2187
El Quijotillo
Pianista skyscraperiano

Likes (Received): 15

Yes, and this first floor of steel was construct in 5 or 6 days... that isn't slow for me...
El Quijotillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 03:09 AM   #2188
Dan Hochhaus
highrise addicted

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imre View Post
not just supertalls but interesting list here:
http://www.emporis.com/en/bu/sk/st/sr/
Place City Population Area Buildings² Points³
14. Beijing 7,746,519 16,808 km² 868 6,065
15. Dubai 1,241,000 3,885 km² 295 5,883

Dubai will be overtaking Beijing soon.
I'd recommend another good city list:
The World's Best Skylines by Egbert Gramsbergen. Here only the height above 90 meters counts of each building, and this is an advantage for cities with many tall skyscrapers instead of those with thousands of nameless 20-floor-highrises.

So it's no surprise to find Bejing only on rank 19 there, but Dubai already on no. 3 , only topped by Hongkong and New York City.

Last edited by Dan Hochhaus; December 19th, 2007 at 03:15 AM.
Dan Hochhaus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 03:16 AM   #2189
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

OFFTOPIC.....IMO emporis should change the rules for the city ranking....
Old December 19th, 2007, 03:41 AM   #2190
walli
BANNED

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hochhaus View Post
I'd recommend another good city list:
The World's Best Skylines by Egbert Gramsbergen. Here only the height above 90 meters counts of each building, and this is an advantage for cities with many tall skyscrapers instead of those with thousands of nameless 20-floor-highrises.

So it's no surprise to find Bejing only on rank 19 there, but Dubai already on no. 3 , only topped by Hongkong and New York City.
Wow! By this ranking, Hong Kong is really unchallenged! I didn't realize how far ahead it was compared to New York in terms of number of tall buildings.

Zefire liked this post
walli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 04:43 AM   #2191
shoreditchpete

when are you all going to get over this huge egotistical erection in the world's fakest city?
shoreditchpete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 04:49 AM   #2192
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

Dubai got pwn3d!!!

xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 04:58 AM   #2193
mudvayneimn
Evry City Nds a Blk Box!

Likes (Received): 17

What a great contribution to the thread shoreditchpete! Your post should be awarded for "the most unoriginal, been said 300 times already, but still finds a way to talk about nothing post of the year". Moving on now, I don't think I've seen the new photos of the lake. The last one I saw it was gross, maybe I missed a few pics here, but I'm too lazy to go back and find them right now

Last edited by mudvayneimn; December 19th, 2007 at 05:03 AM.
mudvayneimn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 05:12 AM   #2194
shoreditchpete

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudvayneimn View Post
What a great contribution to the thread shoreditchpete! Your post should be awarded for "the most unoriginal, been said 300 times already, but still finds a way to talk about nothing post of the year". Moving on now, I don't think I've seen the new photos of the lake. The last one I saw it was gross, maybe I missed a few pics here, but I'm too lazy to go back and find them right now
the 'lake' eh?
shoreditchpete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 05:16 AM   #2195
rossie1977

Likes (Received): 7

http://homepages.ipact.nl/~egram/skylines.html

what is that dude smoking, 3051 buildings over 90 metres in Hong Kong, no way, more like less than 500
rossie1977 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 05:27 AM   #2196
DarkFenX
A B C

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossie1977 View Post
http://homepages.ipact.nl/~egram/skylines.html

what is that dude smoking, 3051 buildings over 90 metres in Hong Kong, no way, more like less than 500
Actually if you ever looked at a panorama of the whole Hong Hong skyline including the Hong Kong island and Kowloon, there is obviously at least 3000 skyscrapers above 90m. Most people just look at the skyline that show the prominent skyscrapers and never the whole skyline itself.

BOSTON - CITY OF CHAMPIONS

NE Patriots 2001 - NE Patriots 2003 - NE Patriots 2004 - Boston Red Sox 2004 - Boston Red Sox 2007 - Boston Celtics 2008 - Boston Bruins 2011 - Boston Red Sox 2013 - NE Patriots 2014
DarkFenX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 05:44 AM   #2197
rossie1977

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFenX View Post
Actually if you ever looked at a panorama of the whole Hong Hong skyline including the Hong Kong island and Kowloon, there is obviously at least 3000 skyscrapers above 90m. Most people just look at the skyline that show the prominent skyscrapers and never the whole skyline itself.
Emporis are saying ~700 buildings 90 metres or greater
SSP are saying ~500 buildings 90 metres or greater
rossie1977 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 06:24 AM   #2198
MetalliTooL

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Quijotillo View Post
Yes, and this first floor of steel was construct in 5 or 6 days... that isn't slow for me...
It's not even close to being done yet.
MetalliTooL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 11:37 AM   #2199
googlepeakoil

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Quijotillo View Post
That's slow for steel work - the Empire State Building is all steel - and that rose (at it's fastest) at a floor a day! 5-6 days is slow. Hopefully it'll get faster - but as they're so far behind with the glazing, and therefore probably the interior fitting - and the concrete WAS on schedule - they probably don't need to go full-speed on the steel.

ps. I imagine sooner or later Emaar will stop farting around and tell us the final height. Of course most of us on here have known for over a year it's going to be 808-818m anyway. I remember finding that pdf that had the first set of detailed plans - and that had 808m as the new final height. Some new plans say 818m - but it's not much difference either way.
googlepeakoil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 12:05 PM   #2200
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10143

^actually 819m.(835m above slab). we cant ignore the large air craft beacon on tip.
the ESB rose a floor aday because the highest the steel had to be hoisted was 320m. Burj Dubais steel has to be hoisted up double that height to above 600m-700m.that requires more time.

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae