daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old November 23rd, 2009, 07:41 PM   #22141
christos-greece
Moderator!
 
christos-greece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 176,879
Likes (Received): 244688

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town Resident View Post
Why would you celebrate that fact unless you were an Emirati?

Surely we all want to see technological advancements being applied to make the next great effort in building high?
Talking about celebrates... do you know what is the program (fireworks etc), what we going to see at the grand opening?

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4126871899/
__________________
Urban Showcase: Athens Kalamata Trikala Thessaloniki
Cityscapes: Paris Barcelona Dubai, U.A.E. Monte Carlo, Monaco
General photography: Castles of France - Chateau de France and, since May of '08: Greece!
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 23rd, 2009, 08:34 PM   #22142
234sale
Registered User
 
234sale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dubai/Brighton
Posts: 8,317
Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
Talking about celebrates... do you know what is the program (fireworks etc), what we going to see at the grand opening?
[IMG]http://i45.************/2506vlu.jpg[/IMG]

They might splash out on a second box...
__________________
If you're interested in photography, find me here at
500px
234sale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 08:40 PM   #22143
234sale
Registered User
 
234sale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dubai/Brighton
Posts: 8,317
Likes (Received): 24

[IMG]http://i45.************/2e4m2dg.jpg[/IMG]
__________________
If you're interested in photography, find me here at
500px
234sale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 08:42 PM   #22144
234sale
Registered User
 
234sale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dubai/Brighton
Posts: 8,317
Likes (Received): 24

[IMG]http://i45.************/263vk2u.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i45.************/1zxawzb.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i50.************/2rqodp3.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i50.************/5cpjm.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i50.************/208ie4y.jpg[/IMG]
__________________
If you're interested in photography, find me here at
500px

Last edited by 234sale; November 23rd, 2009 at 09:07 PM.
234sale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 11:15 PM   #22145
krkseg1ops
Registered User
 
krkseg1ops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kraków - dawna stolica Polaków
Posts: 1,930
Likes (Received): 1186

How come the tower is 824.6m high? Wasn't that 818m? When did the height change and what has actually changed that made the tower even bigger? All in all, 6m is kind of a lot
krkseg1ops está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 11:27 PM   #22146
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher
 
Uaarkson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: East Side Flint
Posts: 2,538
Likes (Received): 1079

The Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat changed their method of measuring a building's height from lowest point. Previously it was measured from street level, now it is measured from the lowest open-air space. This gave towers such as Trump Chicago and the Burj a slight height boost because they have open-air spaces which are lower than street level.
__________________
Manhattan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S1MySJoFl8&hd=1 (HD)
Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 11:28 PM   #22147
Dubai Skyscraper
Moderator
 
Dubai Skyscraper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Speyer, Germany
Posts: 11,981
Likes (Received): 2616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town Resident View Post
Why would you celebrate that fact unless you were an Emirati?

Surely we all want to see technological advancements being applied to make the next great effort in building high?
you are right but i love this tower and wish it could be worlds tallest forever...
Dubai Skyscraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 03:45 AM   #22148
leogodoy
Registered User
 
leogodoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sćo Paulo
Posts: 184
Likes (Received): 51

Ooooh, large format FTW. You could probably print that in REAL SIZE

[img]http://i50.************/2rqodp3.jpg[/img]

Thanks a lot, 234sale. Great pics!

BTW, is that a Schneider Kreuznach Super-Angulon or a Super-Angulon XL? I've been bitten by the photobug back when I was a kid, never developed any talent but I'm still a gear aficionado. Nevermind, just read you story a few pages ago and saw that this isn't your camera.

Cheers,
Leo

Last edited by leogodoy; November 24th, 2009 at 03:54 AM.
leogodoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 05:05 AM   #22149
moscowboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 352
Likes (Received): 0

Because of the financial crisis, the building boom turned into a bust and nobody will attempt another money losing project for a very long time. Thus BD might be the tallest building during our life time.
moscowboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 05:46 AM   #22150
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher
 
Uaarkson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: East Side Flint
Posts: 2,538
Likes (Received): 1079

Lol, no. People born in 1930 witnessed 7 new world's tallest, through depressions, recessions and world war.
__________________
Manhattan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S1MySJoFl8&hd=1 (HD)
Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 06:13 AM   #22151
Imre
Dubai
 
Imre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dubai
Posts: 40,564
Likes (Received): 315

I got from Hong Kong, it will be a BMU ad

[IMG]http://i45.************/2nl8m4l.jpg[/IMG]

Still just 818 m here.
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 06:31 AM   #22152
Fury
Proudly Canadian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,059
Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

First this is in no way meant to replace Cul's fantastic drawing. His work has much more info and has other structures for comparison and I won't pretend to come any where close to his skills. Cul and many here know I love the complex arrangement of tiers and level heights and have helped many with accuracy on their work. In fact my BD Plan and Tier Methodology are too acurate for Emaar as they forced a certain website to take them off under threat of legal action.

I've done many labelled shots during construction and a series of 6 pic to plan comparisons showing how the actual structure follows the plans in regards to level and tier heights. Now that the cladding is on there have been a few questions on where this or that level is on the structure.

Here is the best render out there that I've labelled with levels and tiers.
This render is a few years old and therefore the office annex is the original planned height before they recently doubled it. I will be adding all the heights to this but I decided to wait untill the official height is released or measured after the soft opening since they all will change by 6 meters no doubt. I will post the final product after that.

Click for full size - 2550 by 5100.


__________________
Burj Khalifa - The Greatest Structure of our Time !!
Fury no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 06:51 AM   #22153
DXBQuantum
Registered User
 
DXBQuantum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: From - London, Work - Dubai, Ski - Colorado, Fly - New Zealand
Posts: 904
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Hi all.

First this is in no way meant to replace Cul's fantastic drawing. His work has much more info and has other structures for comparison and I won't pretend to come any where close to his skills. Cul and many here know I love the complex arrangement of tiers and level heights and have helped many with accuracy on their work. In fact my BD Plan and Tier Methodology are too acurate for Emaar as they forced a certain website to take them off under threat of legal action.

I've done many labelled shots during construction and a series of 6 pic to plan comparisons showing how the actual structure follows the plans in regards to level and tier heights. Now that the cladding is on there have been a few questions on where this or that level is on the structure.

Here is the best render out there that I've labelled with levels and tiers.
This render is a few years old and therefore the office annex is the original planned height before they recently doubled it. I will be adding all the heights to this but I decided to wait untill the official height is released or measured after the soft opening since they all will change by 6 meters no doubt. I will post the final product after that.

Click for full size - 2550 by 5100.



Fantastic render Fury, Thanks.
__________________
>>BRING BACK SKY CITY 1000 AND X-SEED 4000<<

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
Leonardo da Vinci
DXBQuantum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 09:10 AM   #22154
234sale
Registered User
 
234sale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dubai/Brighton
Posts: 8,317
Likes (Received): 24

http://www.davidburdeny.com the guy that was with me the yesterday with the 8x10 camera
__________________
If you're interested in photography, find me here at
500px
234sale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #22155
AltinD
The Modecator
 
AltinD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: TIRANA / Dubai / Vienna
Posts: 31,832
Likes (Received): 6077

Last night the strobe lights paralel but beneath the flood lights on each tier together with the randomly placed lights on the top section were being tested ... all these after they have already been testing powerfull light guns from the top. percing the night sky for many miles as if looking for space intruders. Cool
__________________
I am the eye in the sky, Looking at you
I can read your mind
I am the maker of rules, Dealing with fools
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 11:16 AM   #22156
gerald.d
Registered User
 
gerald.d's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 2,343
Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Last night the strobe lights paralel but beneath the flood lights on each tier together with the randomly placed lights on the top section were being tested ... all these after they have already been testing powerfull light guns from the top. percing the night sky for many miles as if looking for space intruders. Cool
Not sure if you missed this image that shows those 'light guns' -

[img]http://i49.************/154iudh.jpg[/img]

On other matters, thanks for the latest shots of David at work 234.

This is his camera:

http://www.walkercameras.com/XL_8x10.html

It's "only" £2200, and lenses typically cost around a grand.

If there was somewhere in Dubai that sold, and more importantly, could process, the film, I'd be sorely tempted.
gerald.d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 12:00 PM   #22157
moscowboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 352
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post

It's "only" £2200, and lenses typically cost around a grand.

If there was somewhere in Dubai that sold, and more importantly, could
process, the film, I'd be sorely tempted.
The B&W film plates you make, you can develop yourself in your own dark room.
There might be a portable color lab available for purchase too.

Your Canon 5D MKII is very good, until you get this big camera.
moscowboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 12:14 PM   #22158
AltinD
The Modecator
 
AltinD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: TIRANA / Dubai / Vienna
Posts: 31,832
Likes (Received): 6077

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
Not sure if you missed this image that shows those 'light guns'
Yes I did. but since Sat & Sun are my days off, only last evening I could drive-by and see them at work
__________________
I am the eye in the sky, Looking at you
I can read your mind
I am the maker of rules, Dealing with fools
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 12:32 PM   #22159
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.
 
Old Town Resident's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Aberdoom
Posts: 2,747
Likes (Received): 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Yes I did. but since Sat & Sun are my days off, only last evening I could drive-by and see them at work
Working Eoropean times Mr Altin?
Old Town Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 12:33 PM   #22160
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.
 
Old Town Resident's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Aberdoom
Posts: 2,747
Likes (Received): 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by 234sale View Post
[IMG]http://i45.************/2e4m2dg.jpg[/IMG]
Look at the ghostly head in this pic taken by Sale!

By chance is this another MJ sighting in the clouds?
Old Town Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium