daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 30th, 2009, 07:23 AM   #22401
VRS

Likes (Received): 11521

great picture....
VRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #22402
moscowboy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town Resident View Post
Hi Fury, no jail this time around although it will soon be time to get inside legally.
Did you go to jail last time you tried to go past security guards and take pictures of BD?
I hope you didn.t But, if you did, that is horrible.

Last edited by moscowboy; December 1st, 2009 at 03:14 AM.
moscowboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 02:20 PM   #22403
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

So you ask a question and then comment even before getting answered? If you're so "sure" of the answer you're going to "get", why ask in the first place?
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 02:42 PM   #22404
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

I got 3 pics from my friend , Burj Dubai, Address Hotel and Dubai Marina at night.

He is a professional photographer from England his photos amazing.

I invited him to join this forum , hopefully he will post some more pics soon.

[IMG]http://i45.************/2zems6t.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i47.************/14uyse1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i48.************/2ni1fye.jpg[/IMG]

Credits: Terry Donnelly

http://www.redpillphotography.co.uk/
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 05:25 PM   #22405
_Mort_
BANNED

Imre you are making better shots.
_Mort_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 07:30 PM   #22406
Coinpeace

Likes (Received): 13

woah... thats amazing color!!!!
Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMEQiI7wLEE Part 4 is up :) 550m|110fl

My Youtube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/coinpeace

my building is getting up there :)
Coinpeace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #22407
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 240902

One more of BD at night:
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aymericetmanue/4144177817/
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 09:05 PM   #22408
Heroico
El corralito de piedra

Likes (Received): 380

those photos are quite a sight
Old November 30th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #22409
LittleDreamer

Likes (Received): 1

there are lots of apartments finished in lower floors :O im waiting for a higher floors to be finished
LittleDreamer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 09:43 PM   #22410
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9

Debt crisis puts spotlight on Dubai World

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2009/1...bai-world.html

For more than a decade, Dubai's ruling family has been trying to transform the Persian Gulf emirate into an ultra-luxurious tourist destination for the very well-heeled.

The resulting building boom led to some of the most over-the-top real estate projects ever conceived — artificial palm-shaped islands, kilometre-high office buildings, an indoor ski resort, the biggest shopping mall in the world and hotels that charge thousands a night.

The sail-shaped Burj al Arab hotel — the only (self-proclaimed) seven-star hotel in the world — proudly affirmed its status as the most expensive place on the planet to spend a night with rooms starting at more than $1,000 US. It was just one of many structures in the Gulf emirate designed to impress or outrage, depending on one's point of view. The world's rich and famous, it seemed, couldn't get enough of such ostentatious displays.

Amid such a building frenzy, real estate prices predictably spiralled out of control. And just as predictably, they plunged earthward in 2008 and 2009 when the property bubble burst as the global financial crisis abruptly put an end to the migration of money. Hundreds of billions of dollars worth of building projects were delayed or cancelled. Thousands of jobs disappeared.

Dubai, playground of the über-extravagant, suddenly found itself facing the very real possibility that its biggest state-owned company, Dubai World, could go into bankruptcy. It warned it was having trouble making debt payments on $59 billion US — money borrowed to pay for all the excess.

Dubai World is Dubai's main holding and investment enterprise, but its holdings range far beyond the Persian Gulf area. It has a hand in developments around the world, Canada included.
Minority stake in Cirque du Soleil

In 2008, two companies controlled by Dubai World — Nakheel Properties and Istithmar World Capital — bought a 20 per cent interest in the Cirque du Soleil, the world-renowned performing arts company founded by Montreal's Guy Laliberté.

The minority stake resulted from a 15-year partnership struck in 2007 to develop a new Cirque du Soleil show that would open in 2011 in a new theatre to be built in Palm Jumeirah, one of several palm-shaped islands off the coast of Dubai being developed by Nakheel Properties.

Another Dubai World holding — DP World — operates Centerm, a container terminal in Vancouver's inner harbour. DP World acquired the terminal when it bought the marine terminal assets of P&O Ports in 2006, and plans to spend $140 million to expand it.

That purchase also gave it ownership of many key U.S. ports — something that raised national security concerns in the U.S. Some American legislators didn't like the idea that U.S. ports would be controlled by Middle Eastern state-owned enterprises. DP World subsequently sold its U.S. port assets.

In Britain, another Dubai World subsidiary, Leisurecorp, bought the Turnberry Resort in Scotland in 2008 — home to the 2009 British Open — for more than 50 million pounds.

In the U.S., Dubai World's investment arm, Istithmar World, bought the luxury retailer Barneys New York in 2007 for almost $1 billion US. There were reports earlier this year it was trying to unload the retailer as the luxury market unwound and Istithmar racked up big losses from the global financial meltdown, but Dubai World's chair denied it.
Controversial developments

There's no question that Dubai World's best-known holdings are its ultra-lavish tourist resorts and residential developments. Its Nakheel real estate division is building thousands of luxury homes, retail stores and luxury hotels on the artificial palm-shaped islands. Construction began in 2001 and is scheduled to run through 2015.

Nakkheel says it will ultimately add more than 600 kilometres of beachfront to the Dubai coastline as part of a huge land reclamation project that will see millions of tonnes of sand and rock dumped into the Gulf to secure the necessary foundation.

The scale of that development plan has frequently been criticized, and not just for reasons of taste. Dubai's massive construction boom attracted much criticism from human rights groups. Tens of thousands of workers were brought in from the developing world, especially India, to do the heavy lifting. There have been many reports of ill treatment, low wages and substandard housing.

Despite the controversy, fiscal and otherwise, Dubai World and its emirati masters seem determined to carry on. But talk of the possibility of asset sales is already appearing in the financial press. There is speculation, too, that another of the emirates — oil-rich Abu Dhabi — might have to step in to help. Earlier this year, the Abu Dhabi-based central bank snapped up half of Dubai's $20-billion US bond offering.

"The Sun Never Sets on Dubai World," trumpets the banner on the company's website. These days, that's a boast that seems increasingly difficult to sustain.

The palm-shaped islands off Dubai are being built and developed by Nakheel Properties, a division of state-owned Dubai World. (iStock)

The Dubai skyline is dominated by the 818-metre-tall Burj Dubai skyscraper, which is slated to open on Jan. 4, 2010. It is the world's tallest structure. (Kamran Jebreili/Associated Press)

Last edited by 10025; November 30th, 2009 at 09:48 PM.
10025 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 11:06 PM   #22411
pentimo

Likes (Received): 8

http://360dubaimap.com

Old November 30th, 2009, 11:16 PM   #22412
HEREDIANO

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post

How they'll change the lightbulbs in the beacons at the top

(with apologies to whoever did this first a few months ago!)

Good pic!!

Is like the "grúa" tryng to touch the top of the building.!!! isn´t it??
Old November 30th, 2009, 11:22 PM   #22413
EddieB317
DE MINIMIS NON CURAT LEX

Likes (Received): 33

I wish the planners who built Dubai had thought more about walk-ability. This has to be one of the worst cities to just walk around in. Just crossing the street (all 12 lanes) is a pain. Great cities are easily accessible to pedestrian traffic and have a good mixture of low mid and high rise buildings. I sure hope Dubai doesn't collapse because this would be one creepy and costly ghost town.

I happen to think that things are going to happen for Indianapolis...
EddieB317 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 11:57 PM   #22414
SolarWarden

Likes (Received): 2

They have to grow a lot of plants there!!!

Because there is only SAND and CONCRETE now.
SolarWarden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 12:12 AM   #22415
Dubai Skyscraper

Likes (Received): 2609

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWarden View Post
They have to grow a lot of plants there!!!

Because there is only SAND and CONCRETE now.

stupid post of the week...

look at Imres pics from only a few days ago.
the LARGE green area (called Burj PARK) and the fountain complex are sand and concrete?!
Dubai Skyscraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 12:39 AM   #22416
Monkey9000
£€$$ is more

Likes (Received): 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB317 View Post
I wish the planners who built Dubai had thought more about walk-ability. This has to be one of the worst cities to just walk around in. Just crossing the street (all 12 lanes) is a pain. Great cities are easily accessible to pedestrian traffic and have a good mixture of low mid and high rise buildings. I sure hope Dubai doesn't collapse because this would be one creepy and costly ghost town.
It'll all get sorted eventually just like any city. So quit moaning about it people and don't spout crap unless it's greatly related to the BD architecture.
Monkey9000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 01:11 AM   #22417
firefox2
En Directo

Likes (Received): 2051

Amazing nite shot Christos !
firefox2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 03:13 AM   #22418
moscowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB317 View Post
where are you from? where do you get these ideas from?
Old December 1st, 2009, 03:15 AM   #22419
moscowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
So you ask a question and then comment even before getting answered? If you're so "sure" of the answer you're going to "get", why ask in the first place?
good point. i corrected the post.
Old December 1st, 2009, 04:39 AM   #22420
234sale

Likes (Received): 24

[IMG]http://i47.************/2yullk2.jpg[/IMG]

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae